Mothering Forum banner

Lonely/no friend mamas

71K views 2K replies 237 participants last post by  georgia 
#1 ·
Are there any mamas out there, like me, who have very few to no friends. I have one friend, who I keep in contact with monthly, and that's it. And for me, no, inlaws don't count, because I hardly ever see them, except for mil. It's very hard for me to make friends, plus I'm shy, and don't trust people too easily. I also lost my best friend(my paternal grandmother) this past April, who was my absolute best friend. Geez I just wish I had a friend to talk to up close. Lol! My daughters talk me to death, but I need more adult convo. KWIM?

#1,454 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by ernalala View Post
Help. I just came to realise that BF means BOYfriend not BESTfriend??? For the record, whenever I've been using BF I meant BEST friend (my 'best girlfriends') and whenever I use bf this means breastfeeding of course:).

Here on MDC the first thing thing that comes to mind when I see BF would be breastfeeding. When it's clear by the context of the sentence they're talking about a person I don't really make the mental leap while I'm reading. I just think of the person as 'BF'. I'm with you though, seeing BF standing alone makes me think best friend as in BFF (best friend forever duh!)

but of course, if you DO have a boyfriend, no need to keep it from us

Quote:

Originally Posted by MittensKittens View Post
Testing new siggy
. People kept calling me Kaya, so I decided to clarify

I had noticed that
:
For the record, I had found it perfectly clear that that was your daughters name, not yours.

#1,456 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by ~kitnkaboodle~ View Post
Thanks all for the bday wishes... BABABA its all things pooh I love lol...
My DD loved Pooh as well! Lately, I have been cosleeping with not just two kids but a huge pooh bear as well

BBB, thanks, glad you understood, that I am not really a mom born in August 2006, of a son born in December 2008...
. YK, when I first came on MDC I was rather concerned about privacy and now I just think, I don't care if people know who I am IRL. I wouldn't really like my family to come on here and read comments, but if they do, well... they do.

What are other mamas' views on being recognized from MDC, and about privacy issues?

#1,457 ·
Oh I dunno... I'm a very private person but I open up a bit here. I sometimes have this weird existential experience where I feel that I am not the person expressed in by the sum of my posts.
o you have any idea what I mean by that?
I guess I don't really care. If some one is 'spying' on me, well shame on them! Actually, I guess I'd be flattered that they found me that interesting

#1,458 ·
I woke up this morning to the news of the Kentucky Derby winner. Mine that Bird was a 50 - 1 long shot. A plain little gelding bought for $ 9 500 who pulled up on Derby day in a trailer pulled by an old pick up truck. He won by 18 lengths!!! It was truly amazing.

#1,460 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by BaBaBa View Post
Oh I dunno... I'm a very private person but I open up a bit here. I sometimes have this weird existential experience where I feel that I am not the person expressed in by the sum of my posts.

#1,461 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by redveg View Post
Morning mamas. Well I went out last night and had a bit too much to drink!! I feel horrible! I am going to hide out at home for a while, not that I don't do that already. First time in public drunk, this is bad!

drink some orange juice, the vit c will make you feel much better, trust me
since i was preggo, i haven't really drank, i use to, a lot, maybe too much. you could tell when i put the bottle down for a few weeks when i'd start to loose a lot of weight. booze was the only way i could keep meat on my bones... after having rio, it's just not coming off... oh well. i don't miss feeling sick the next day!

#1,462 ·
Quote:

You bet

Quote:

I guess I don't really care. If some one is 'spying' on me, well shame on them! Actually, I guess I'd be flattered that they found me that interesting

Well sometimes I feel a bit awkward. But I do not think someone will actually 'find' me here, or if they do, that they would want to read every single thing I've posted. I do think the fact that I'm not posting in my mother tongue has to do with it (even this meaning there's actually many more millions of people in the world understanding my writing lol). My ILs actually don't understand a word of English, or of the ones who do, their English is not as good as mine, some even do not know how to read or write and most are not online much and I could not imagine what they would be doing on MDC lol.

Dh and I communicate mostly in English, and he knows my username and all and actually I set MDC as standard page without password access. He could easily have access here. He might not agree on some things I've been 'openly' writing about here, there's things he doesn't really know that I've been experiencing which I'm writing about here but not things that need to be secret either (just personal stuff) but I do believe it's my privacy and my descision and when I write about someone else I always am discreet and I will not mention other people's names not even in my sig and I seriously try not to come and vent about particular persons (but yes, maybe just things someone had said but apart from that relationship) because that does not feel right to me.

And my BF ('boyfriend') and male BF (best friend) are actually my DH so I wouldn't want anyone to misunderstand lol.

EBF could be eternal best friend, EXTBF might be ex-temporary-best friend whatever lol.
Does ebf actually exist in sense of 'breastfeeding bf' and what does it mean? Oh wait: e for 'exclusive'? And is it more viscous in 'extbf' as 'exterminating bf' lol last one joking but sth to do with anti-'breastfeeding-maffia'-movements? I also sure hope there's not a thing as 'eternal breastfeeding' (ebf) in the meaning of a one on one mother-offspring relationship... It would be sufficient for my child to self-wean somewhere between 3-6

#1,463 ·
Quote:

Morning mamas. Well I went out last night and had a bit too much to drink!! I feel horrible! I am going to hide out at home for a while, not that I don't do that already. First time in public drunk, this is bad!
Tell me, WHAT does this feel like

I can count on one hand 'all' the glasses I've had since I became first pregnant, and that's been almost 6 years. And the drunk-once-in-a-while thing is only something from my late teens/very early twenties.

I guess that by now 2 glasses must certainly knock me down and definitely just one glass of superstrong Belgian dark beer lol.
Not that I miss it that much.

#1,464 ·
Quote:

Testing new siggy
. People kept calling me Kaya, so I decided to clarify

'Kaya' means 'rock' in Turkish. I believe it's sometimes used as a first name for boys here (and hear me think: why not girls, but you have a girl named 'kaya'
) and it definitely is a local last name. What is the meaning attached to your daughter's name if I may ask?

For the note, both of my sons have names that could be defined as 'unisex': one is more often used as a girl's name, locally, but is rarely used for boys too, and is extremely rare in a wprldwide perspective; while the first name of my second is rare in both of our cultures but the name and its meaning, in all it's countless (spelling) variations exist widely, both historically and wordly speaking, and it has been spelled/exists in countless variations for boys and girls, it is rare and common at the same time

#1,465 ·
Ernalala, ebf means exclusive breastfeeding, you got it... and extbf is sometimes used for for extended breastfeeding. Do you know that "breastfeeding" actually comes up as red on my spell check? (I have check as you type spell check on safari)... Is it breast feeding, which two words? That doesn't seem right to me.

Kaya is a local abbreviation for Katarina, which is a version of Cathrin, which is the name of my fave aunt. My aunt was having some serious health problems when DD was born. So she is basically named after my aunt. I wanted something short, pronounceable, and something that would be relatively international. Sasha didn't have a name for a month! When I finally decided on Sasha, it still took some time to get used to it. Now I love his name, though. Even if we do move on to another country at some point, my kids' connection to Serbia is strong enough by birth. So I like the fact they have names which are local.

#1,467 ·
Anyone else here use Apple? I love Apple, and couldn't imagine working with a windows computer.... BUT when something needs to be replaced it is so expensive. I was just about to fork out $200 for a new power adaptor for my laptop, which I think is a lot for what is essentially no more than an electric wire. I've just found out that Apple is replacing these for free because they were made with a mistake, though... Yay for saving $200!
:

#1,470 ·
For me on the spying issue. I live in a small town and people would talk. I try to only write about things I would talk about in public. I don't think most of the people who are in my town would be on here, but you never know. The only thing that would cause a stir I think is my Pagan ways. I think that the saddest part for me is not having a place where I can be 100% honest, ever.

#1,471 ·
Quote:

For me on the spying issue. I live in a small town and people would talk. I try to only write about things I would talk about in public. I don't think most of the people who are in my town would be on here, but you never know. The only thing that would cause a stir I think is my Pagan ways. I think that the saddest part for me is not having a place where I can be 100% honest, ever.
Perhaps they should be on here. 'they might learn something

#1,472 ·
Quote:

I am an Apple user!! Love my MAC.
Oh yeah, that is the other thing about Apple... when they need to replace something, it can take a looooong time. So, now I am waiting for this free cable, and I might have to miss my macbook for a few months. No more surfing in bed

#1,473 ·
Quote:

... and extbf is sometimes used for for extended breastfeeding.
It's been in my siggy for ages :)

Quote:

Do you know that "breastfeeding" actually comes up as red on my spell check? (I have check as you type spell check on safari)... Is it breast feeding, which two words? That doesn't seem right to me.
I think it most likely has to do with 'breast' more than with feeding lol. Puritans!

I know of someone who had sites/searches with words like 'Sussex' not accesible because of filtering/censorship in his country of residence.

#1,474 ·
Quote:

And I am curious as to where you are from.... I don't want to step into your personal space by guessing or asking
. You saying millions more people understand your writing leaves like one option for me though

I'm sure you guess wrong!

My mother tongue in its pure variation is probably spoken by 20-25 million maximum, worldwide (''spoken by over 22 million people as a native language, and about 5 million people as a second language''), and they are definitely not all of age, online, or attending forums like mdc, in English
? I only 'met' one from my home country on MDC, and none of my country of residence so far (not very likely I ever will either?), and there must be a maximum of 70 million people speaking this country's language worldwide.
Anyway, not really a secret, I think I mentioned it often enough, but now I just like to make you buuuurn with curiosity.

#1,475 ·
Haha, I AM burning with curiosity now. I was wrong, based on your additional info
. About not meeting people from your country of residence on MDC - you might be surprised. I have actually met TWO from Serbia, one IRL!

#1,476 ·
Quote:

Haha, I AM burning with curiosity now. I was wrong, based on your additional info
. About not meeting people from your country of residence on MDC - you might be surprised. I have actually met TWO from Serbia, one IRL!
I wonder:locals or immigrants/expats like you?

I actually did 'meet' an expat in Turkey mom here, but not a real local. There are some international sites where you can meet loads of them though :).

#1,478 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by ernalala View Post
I wonder:locals or immigrants/expats like you?

I actually did 'meet' an expat in Turkey mom here, but not a real local. There are some international sites where you can meet loads of them though :).
One local, and one Serbian expat living in India, who is coming back soon. Come to think of it, I should send her a message. It is interesting to see that they look at the culture in such a different ay, especially after being expats. For instance, I complain about Serbia being anti-woman, and this woman says "Really? I never noticed that! India is very anti-woman!"

My DD is having some issues with peeing in her pants right now. And she just did it AGAIN, so I am off to get her in the shower...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.