Any other Barefooters out there? - Page 15 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 06-25-2008, 03:45 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Just as soon as I was starting to go barefoot again I stepped on a knife (it was in my pants pocket and opened as I threw my pants on the floor while I was changing). Now I can't walk on it at all. As soon as the stitches are out I'm ditching the shoes as much as possible.

DS 4/11

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-25-2008, 04:42 PM

Ouch, stretch! Hope it heals fast!

Some people here have said they go barefoot in the house but wear shoes when they go out. Do you really consider yourself a barefooter if you only go barefoot in the house? I hope I'm not offending anyone but I find that confusing. Most people go barefoot in their homes. I don't see anything noteworthy about that, to be honest.
Old 06-25-2008, 05:52 PM

The funny thing about both of my serious foot injuries (I steeped on a cactus thorn a couple of years ago and needed surgery to remove it) happened in my home. I have never needed a Dr. for foot injuries sustained outside of my home.

DS 4/11

Old 06-25-2008, 08:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stretch358 View Post
Just as soon as I was starting to go barefoot again I stepped on a knife (it was in my pants pocket and opened as I threw my pants on the floor while I was changing). Now I can't walk on it at all. As soon as the stitches are out I'm ditching the shoes as much as possible.
Ouch, I hope it heals quickly
Old 06-26-2008, 01:51 AM

healing vibes to your foot stretch

funny, also, the only times I've ever really injured my feet were all in situations where being barefoot would be considered normal - while swimming in a river once, at home, on the beach, stuff like that.
i've never really injured my feet badly in any situation where it would be normal to wear shoes.

By reading this signature, you agree to join my cult :nana
Google me, you know you want to mischievous.gif
Old 07-03-2008, 07:02 PM

nak

i def belong here! i wear shoes only when i absol. must and even then it is vivo barefoot ones or home-made ones,which are as close to bf as possible. dd only wears home-made shoes.

i hane just started to run bf and

Mama to a little lady and always praying for more.
Old 07-03-2008, 09:02 PM

ooh how do you make shoes?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anumaria View Post
nak

i def belong here! i wear shoes only when i absol. must and even then it is vivo barefoot ones or home-made ones,which are as close to bf as possible. dd only wears home-made shoes.

i hane just started to run bf and

mama to two amazing children son 10/27/07 and daughter 07/07/11

Old 07-03-2008, 10:34 PM

Yes! I was just coming over here to ask the very same question, Froggy!

Rachel, massage therapist and single mom :to Keanu 7/29/04 and Juniper 11/18/11!  Lovingfemalesling.GIFcd.gifnamaste.giflactivist.gifgd.giffambedsingle1.gif

Old 07-04-2008, 09:52 AM

I would love to know too!
Old 07-04-2008, 10:43 PM

I never thought the barefoot tribe would be host to a discussion on shoe-making
well, I've made shoes for DD when she was younger; both crocheted house shoes and the same thing with a piece of leather sewn onto the bottom, and leather shoes. you take a large piece of shoe leather, and cut around the edge strips in toward the centre, then the bits all get folded into the top and strung together with shoelace (or leather thong). okay. i cant explain this well. i bet you could google a pattern.

Old 07-14-2008, 07:24 AM

I make different kinds, whatever I happen to need. I first sew together the top, then sew that to the thin rubber bottom, through the bottom. After quite a few attempts I have pretty much arrived where I want to be: custom shoes for dd. However, I have only pair of sandals for myself so far, and need to experiment on that.

I guess I should add that I bought a special machine just for this. It is old and has a mind of its own, but works well enough.

Old 07-16-2008, 10:17 PM

i guess i'm not very hardcore because i almost always wear crocs outside the house and don't go barfoot outside often but... i am barefoot a lot and i find in the summer my feet get really dry and irritated. anyone else notice this? any tricks? when the skin feels irritated i put moisturizer on and then socks. the funny thing is the only time i wear socks is with moisturizer and thats at night when i sleep. it seems like it is caused by dusty dirt from the dryness in summer.

Old 07-17-2008, 04:48 PM

I am always barefoot. I only put shoes on to go in the grocery store. I just moved from FL to NH, and I still go barefoot in the winter, unless I am skiing. I never wear socks either. I just can't stand the way they squeeze my feet. I don't even put my feet under the covers!

earth.gif lovin, treehugger.gif  veggie

Old 07-18-2008, 04:33 AM

I don't notice any dryness on my feet. *shrug*
Old 07-18-2008, 04:50 AM

hmm the dryness my feet get is only if i go someplace really dusty but thats a lot of places in the summer time. even after i rinse my feet off they feel dry and irritated.

Old 07-18-2008, 07:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by redveg View Post
I never wear socks either. I just can't stand the way they squeeze my feet.
I thought I was the only one, lol, I really dislike wearing socks
Old 07-21-2008, 01:54 PM

I just noticed both dd's go barefoot too. My dh & ds wear shoes even in the house?? How strange.

earth.gif lovin, treehugger.gif  veggie

Old 08-24-2008, 02:35 AM

I just found this thread. I, too, go barefoot as much as possible. I love it. I'm even starting to run barefoot. I used to use the Vibram Five Finger Classics for running. But, now I'm just transitioning to all barefoot.

I started barefooting just this past year when I noticed everyone in my partner's cycle club used to be a runner, and they were now riding due to running injuries. I thought, I don't want that to be me when I'm in my 40's. So, I started researching. Switched to the Vibram Classics, and went barefoot pretty much all the time. Now, I'm going for running barefoot.

It's amazing how much pleasure and joy I get out of being barefoot. I love it!

First special delivery - April 2010 :
Old 08-24-2008, 09:58 AM

Do any of you think that the love of barefoot has something to do with reflexology? I mean, the pressure points in the bottom of the feet and the connection between how these pressure points are all pretty much 'cut off' when we coddle our feet in shoes?

We are born barefoot and were designed to connect with the earth... when we place a barrier between ourselves and the earth, regardless how small or 'protective'... do we actually remove part of our connection?

good witch
Old 08-24-2008, 11:49 PM

I think you're absolutely right. Especially about the earth connection. Going barefoot is such a simple thing, yet since I started doing it, I've felt much more connected to the earth, and much more aware of myself, and of nature. A walk is such a pleasure now ... I'm more aware of everything, not just the ground, but everything around me. It's a very sensual experience (in terms of getting to use all senses).

So, I do think, when we put a barrier there, part of our connection is diminished.

I'm actually going to Poland in January ... and, it's going to be below zero, with lots of ice and snow.

What does everyone do in such situations? Just go barefoot inside? Obviously, I'm not planning on risking frostbite. But, I'm trying to find a shoe that would be both warm and not too constraining. I've yet to find one, though.

First special delivery - April 2010 :
Old 08-25-2008, 12:42 AM
Banned

I'm a barefooter!
Old 09-06-2008, 12:27 AM

barefoot over here :

Wife to DH (9/02) Homeschooling Mama to DD1 (2/03) DD2 (11/06) DD3(9/10)

Old 09-07-2008, 09:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailor View Post
I think you're absolutely right. Especially about the earth connection. Going barefoot is such a simple thing, yet since I started doing it, I've felt much more connected to the earth, and much more aware of myself, and of nature. A walk is such a pleasure now ... I'm more aware of everything, not just the ground, but everything around me. It's a very sensual experience (in terms of getting to use all senses).

So, I do think, when we put a barrier there, part of our connection is diminished.

I'm actually going to Poland in January ... and, it's going to be below zero, with lots of ice and snow.

What does everyone do in such situations? Just go barefoot inside? Obviously, I'm not planning on risking frostbite. But, I'm trying to find a shoe that would be both warm and not too constraining. I've yet to find one, though.
I've been in Germany in December, and Tibet in October... it was fine, just couldn't really stand still for long periods outside. I don't know how you'd go just jumping right into that kind of cold though.

What I love about being barefoot is feeling the earth, and being able to see in the dark when i walk. i can feel the path easily It's much easier to tread lightly on the earth when you're barefoot.

Old 09-07-2008, 04:00 PM

I hate shoes!
Old 09-16-2008, 11:00 AM

Barefooter here

Orthodox Mama
Old 10-11-2008, 06:36 AM

It is interesting, how deep the idea is that you need a higher heal or at least arch support. I make shoes for kids that are as close to barefoot as possible, while being ok to wear in cold Northern Europe. You would not believe the trouble people give me.... "BUT you really MUST have arch supports!" And so on. The I tell them that I don't see why, when even I don't wear shoes with such... It is hard to talk with people for whom the truth is whatever they have been used to.

Old 10-11-2008, 09:52 AM

we're all like that about something. I'm pretty deep in the belief that birth is something natural, not to be feared, but most people are used to the opposite.
etc

Old 10-11-2008, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anumaria View Post
I make shoes for kids that are as close to barefoot as possible, while being ok to wear in cold Northern Europe.
Oooo, tell me more! DD is not mobile yet but I've been on the lookout for how to keep her feet warm both now and in the future.
Old 10-12-2008, 06:11 AM

Barefooter here too!

The only problem I've had with not liking shoes or socks is that I'm trying to expand my knitting knowledge into the area of socks but lack the motivation since I won't wear them. I find that when I have something on my feet, I don't think as clearly so no matter where I go (store, church, friend's house etc.) my shoes leave my feet as soon as I'm in the door, if I even wore them there at all.

My faveorite barefoot experience was the Christmas banquet at my church last year. It was a hawaiian theme so I took that as the perfect excuse not to wear shoes (not that I really needed an excuse). People sure looked at me funny, in my pretty dress and barefoot in freezing weather. I just told them I was keeping with the theme. It created a lot of laughter.

Betty *(.)(.)* mama to: DS1 (12) DS2 (11) DS3 (8)
(12/26/06) (5/11/09) (10/7/09)x2

Old 10-13-2008, 04:33 PM

Does anyone know where I can get soft soled shoes for adults?

I have to wear dress shoes to church (I wear flip flops in summer), but the flatter the sole and softer the fabric, the nicer for my feet!!!

upsidedown.gif  Please see my Community Profile! energy.gif blogging.jpg about Asperger's Syndrome!

User Tag List