Any other Barefooters out there? - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#31 of 784 Old 06-06-2006, 03:40 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Sometimes I drive barefoot but it is also illegal where I live as well! I also HATE wearing socks but when I wear sneakers I need to wear socks or my feet really reak...LOL! But that only happens in the winter because I never wear sneakers in the spring/summer. I really hate shoes and my Mom thinks I am nutty because she says when I was little she always made sure I had shoes on. I tell her my feet are rebelling...LOL!

Julie (34)
Mom to 3 boys + 3 girls = PERFECTION joy.gif
Collector of TOYS!
#32 of 784 Old 06-06-2006, 03:47 PM
Banned

barefootin here too. roxy flipflops when i do shoe.
#33 of 784 Old 06-06-2006, 03:53 PM

boodafli--I love roxy..I have tan lines on my feet from a trip to a water park...so its the roxy flops or no shoes this summer to cover it up
#34 of 784 Old 06-06-2006, 04:07 PM
nym

I am always barefoot! My kids are always barefoot too.. I often wear flipflops well into winter.. I wear flipflops when going out, but I dont like too.. I own like 4 pairs of socks that I wear in my shoes, but as soon as I get home I strip off my shoes and socks!
#35 of 784 Old 06-06-2006, 04:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mother nurture
I am curious as to how many of you barefoot mamas wear socks. I really can't stand them. I only own probably around one pair for hiking. I will admit, though that during college I would wear sandals in the shower Just too many foot funk going on in those places.
I HATE socks! In fact I have a bit of a phobia about that material that athletic socks are made out of, it completely freaks me out. I take DH's socks that are like that and fling them out of the basket for him put away. I think I own maybe 3 pairs of socks (they must be super smooth material and very lightweight though) that I use when its super cold outside or when I have to wear real shoes in the winter (which I rarely do anyway).

I do wear shoes for driving and in stores, but at home (or at friends/family members homes) I never do. I really only like slip on super comfy stuff like my birks or these other closed toe ones I found at Nordstroms (can't remember the brand and I'm too lazy to go look ). We have a strict no shoes rule in our home, which for me is no big deal because I hate shoes anyway. Unfortunately my dd LOVES shoes and wants to wear them in the house. She's gotten into the routine of taking them off at the door though, and she has 'play shoes' in the house (these rubber 'bug' clog things from Target). Shoes in the house gross me out.

Anyone else deal with really dry, cracked feet from being barefoot so much? I can't seem to remember to put anything on them on a regular basis and my feet are really awful looking. Oh well, as long as I comfy, right?

~Rebecca~
mama to a sweet girl , & 4 silly boys

#36 of 784 Old 06-06-2006, 04:25 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by celestialdrmrmama
I HATE socks!
Now, they're not so bad. They're great for slipping over my Sigg bottles to keep my water nice and cold!

Mama to Munchkin  and Chickadee ...and co-parent to 3 additional bundles of energy!
#37 of 784 Old 06-06-2006, 04:32 PM

No shoes here most of the time. My MIL is a fanatic about putting shoes on. I was 5 months pregnant in December running around barefoot and she couldn't understand how I never got sick. I told her it was BECAUSE I didn't wear shoes. I never understood how people think you get sick from not having shoes on when it is cold.

I do have a pair of slip on sandals that hang out just outside my front door because the ground in South Texas is awful hot in the summer. But when I am driving the shoe on my pedal foot comes off.
#38 of 784 Old 06-06-2006, 04:42 PM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
nak

i never thought that driving barefoot could be illegal..... what would be the rationale behind that??

Judy, wife to my Catholic deacon husband ... homeschooling mother to my four girls, a boy, and someone new in May '15! Forever remembering our loss (8/11) .
#39 of 784 Old 06-06-2006, 04:45 PM

Who knows!!!
#40 of 784 Old 06-06-2006, 04:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by judybean
nak

i never thought that driving barefoot could be illegal..... what would be the rationale behind that??
Yeah, it's never made sense to me. Still, it seems to be a rule in a lot of areas.

Mama to Munchkin  and Chickadee ...and co-parent to 3 additional bundles of energy!
#41 of 784 Old 06-06-2006, 04:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MamaTaraX
Barefoot here! When I was working on a website about my doula-ing and childbirth-related things, I called it The Barefoot Doula

Namaste, Tara
One of the first things my mw did when she got to my house for both births she attended was take her shoes off. Didn't bother me a bit because as soon as I would get to her office for a prenatal I would take mine off. lol
#42 of 784 Old 06-06-2006, 05:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7kiddosmom
One of the first things my mw did when she got to my house for both births she attended was take her shoes off. Didn't bother me a bit because as soon as I would get to her office for a prenatal I would take mine off. lol
I'm fairly certain my midwife and doula were barefoot at my last birth. I honestly have no clue though I have been barefoot every time I've given birth. Although the first time I put on socks when I started pushing. I got colr (then hot then cold then hot...) but never took the socks off. I saved 'em though The ohter two times I was naked so, no shoes there. First two weren't at home though (hospital, birth centre) so somem pepole had on shoes. At my homebirth though, everybody was barefoot! Hubby, both kids, my mom...and I think midwife and doula too

I'm trying to figure out why it would be illegal to drive barefoot. That seems incredibly stupid!

Oh and I don't wear socks

Namaste, Tara
#43 of 784 Old 06-06-2006, 06:16 PM

I always drive barefoot. I usually keep my sandals in the car. We do have a little shoe rack as soon as you walk into our home. No shoes allowed.

Beth, Mama to dd , wife to dh , teacher :~ Living, Loving, Learning...everyday.
#44 of 784 Old 06-06-2006, 06:31 PM

I LOVE to be barefoot! It's a family thing for me. I have three sisters and all three of us plus my mom would all prefer to be barefoot than wearing shoes. Dh came from a family of shoe wearers so it took awhile before he felt comfortable being barefoot. I wear shoes only when absolutely necessary and usually prefer shoes that are as close to being barefoot as possible. I hate socks and only wear them when I absolutely must. Midwest winters get a bit too cold for me.

We are a NO SHOES house which causes some friction when my FIL comes to visit. He usually has some kind of snide comment to make. The girls that I babysit for and their mother thing it's strange, but what can I say? My house, my rules! :0) DS is often barefoot and I think probably prefers it that way!
#45 of 784 Old 06-06-2006, 08:20 PM

Another barefooter here!

I do have Rainbows and Birks for the time I MUST wear shoes though!
#46 of 784 Old 06-06-2006, 08:43 PM

I have birks and Crocs

#47 of 784 Old 06-06-2006, 09:02 PM

I am a barefooter with a secret.

I spend the vast majority of my time, at home and otherwise, barefoot. The remainder of the time, I'm not only in shoes, but I'm loving my many shoes.

LOL....I have Borns, Danskos, Reef flipflops, running shoes, and quite a few pairs of sexy sexy, high heeled sandals.

DH loves it when I wear the high shoes, but then gets nervous and tells me to take them off, "so you don't ruin your beautiful feet!" He's sooo sweet. If I wear high shoes, he rubs my feet for me.

I love socks, actually, but they have to be really good socks. Thin cotton socks for sneakers and THICK wool socks all winter when I'm outdoors in shoes. I often wear the wool socks as slippers in the house, since I'm so cold blooded.

I, too, immediately unshod myself at my midwife's house for prenatals, and now at her house when we go to potlucks.

Our 17 mo son is most often barefoot. I catch a lot of flak about it, too, but don't care. He's happy like that, though he does bring his crocs or See Kai Run sandals, or Buskins and Moss Feet soft shoes to put on. (Gah, I'm as much of a baby shoe addict as I am for myself.)

The nice thing about soooo many shoes and so much time barefoot? Your shoes last you forever!

SAHPilot Mama to a 5yoson, a 17 mo old daughter, and wife to .
Worried about your baby's head shape? PM me for craniosynostosis info!
#48 of 784 Old 06-07-2006, 02:55 AM - Thread Starter

Yay! I thought there would be more barefooters around here (been meaning to start this thread for months now ).

I dislike socks very much on my feet, but I can't seem to get rid any even though we're trying to simplify. Maybe I need to cut into my sock collection (from before I found the joys of living barefoot).

The rope sandals at Nomadic State of Mind look so good! I would prefer those to flip-flops. I do love my hemp Rainbow sandals, but I hate that thingy between the toes (plastic is so much worse though!). Dh has worn out his Rainbows so we need to get more for him at least and might as well get me a pair as well. I've had my Rainbows longer, but I'm much lighter and not as rough on them as dh is. Thank you for the link, mother nurture!

I want to keep dd shoeless as much as possible. I got my mom to agree to get dd soft-soled shoes instead of toys for her next (first) few birthdays so that when she does need to wear them (cold etc.). At least we won't have to spend money on shoes

I heard somewhere that it's really not illegal to drive without shoes... http://www.barefooters.org/facts.html but I'm not sure where they got their info from. I have to unpack now (just moved), but maybe I'll search for it later...

love and peace.

mama to two girls and due in November!
: Circumcision can never be undone :
#49 of 784 Old 06-07-2006, 03:04 AM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
A link posted earlier (ack, I can't recall now and it's after midnight!) created a wonderful moment tonight as I learned something new about dh! Yes, even five years into marriage and even having known each other since sixth grade (platonic then) there's still more to learn!!!!

Dh *loves* to be barefoot!!! He said it's how he always wants to be!

How the heck didn't I know this before? No answer there, but gosh that made my heart flutter. Ah, the man I married is wonderful indeed. He's quite the closet hippie (though not so closeted anymore! I'm teaching him to embrace all that he is!)!!!

I still can't figure out why in the world it would be illegal to drive barefoot. I mean come on! Isn't it MUCH MORE DANGEROUS to be driving with stiletto heels? wedge sandals?? steel-toed work boots with soles so thick you can't feel a thing???

Judy, wife to my Catholic deacon husband ... homeschooling mother to my four girls, a boy, and someone new in May '15! Forever remembering our loss (8/11) .
#50 of 784 Old 06-07-2006, 03:31 AM - Thread Starter

...barefoot driving is perfectly legal! but the cops can charge you with negligent/reckless driving. You could challenge it in court though if the only reason was being barefoot.

http://web.archive.org/web/200306181..._barefoot.html

love and peace.

#51 of 784 Old 06-07-2006, 03:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spiderdust
Now, they're not so bad. They're great for slipping over my Sigg bottles to keep my water nice and cold!
As long as they aren't that nasty athletic sock material ones *shudders*

~Rebecca~
mama to a sweet girl , & 4 silly boys

#52 of 784 Old 06-07-2006, 04:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by celestialdrmrmama
As long as they aren't that nasty athletic sock material ones *shudders*
100% cotton terry athletic socks are fine. Polyester athletic socks... ick.

#53 of 784 Old 06-07-2006, 07:14 AM

When I have to wear shoes, I do prefer the nomadic state rope sandals. I'm glad that you liked the link trmpetplaya. I really don't care for flip flops. Dd is so cute...she has NEVER liked socks or shoes. On the off occassion that we did put some soft soles on her she made it her only task to figure out how to get them off Whenever we go anywhere now, she always says, "Mama, I want to be barefoot." I just love the sound of her saying that.

So, where is everyones absolute favorite place to be barefoot and why?? I'll get back w/ mine later.

Peace, mamas

#54 of 784 Old 06-07-2006, 11:36 AM

[QUOTE=Past_VNE]I am a barefooter with a secret.

I spend the vast majority of my time, at home and otherwise, barefoot. The remainder of the time, I'm not only in shoes, but I'm loving my many shoes.

Me too. I love being barefoot! But love to have pretty shoes also. I don't wear shoes unless I'm going out. If I go to other people’s houses I take off my shoes. I don't have a policy for our house. But I have a friend that had a strict no-shoe policy for her house. For the friends/family that came over often she had a pair of slippers just for you (if you liked wearing slippers). When you walk into her house she has this cubbyhole set up. Each square block had your name and your slippers.
#55 of 784 Old 06-07-2006, 12:04 PM

good idea about the guest slippers. i've gotten strange looks and the random "but, i'm only staying a minute" when i ask people to take their shoes off at my house. the slippers might make them a lil more comfy!

another bonus of a no-shoe household are floors that are way less dirty!! it's cut my vacuuming time down immensly.

baby arlo is now earthside! 11.23.2009
#56 of 784 Old 06-07-2006, 03:34 PM - Thread Starter

I was raised in a no-shoes-in-the-house household So I cannot even imagine wearing shoes inside! Though some people ask me if my feet are cold and tell me that I can keep my shoes on in their house... I tell them that I'm fine and most comfortable without shoes anyhow! Wearing shoes on carpet is so uncomfortable... for me at least So my least favourite place to wear shoes is inside followed by sandy beaches because the sand is uncomfortable in a shoe, but so comfy on a bare foot.

My favourite place to go barefoot is the local farmer's market. It's outdoors and grassy and we're the only barefoot people there Second favourite place is the beach. I love sandy beaches against my bare feet!

Mother nurture - The rope sandals are so inexpensive too (compared to most shoe prices). I think we'll be getting three pairs - one for each of us - since there's no increase in shipping price after the first two.

love and peace.

#57 of 784 Old 06-07-2006, 03:52 PM

we have a no shoe rule here. we have had a few people complain, including my mother who felt it was more important to stand in the 3 foot square doorway than to take her shoes off and spend time here. good thing she doesnt come around anymore.

we felt we were at least nice enough to provide a bench at the door way for people so they could sit when taking their shoes off if needed. too bad its always covered with our crap!

i love being barefoot. i get a lot of people who are weirded out by the fact that i will arrive somewhere and my shoes come off. often times i hear 'arent you worried about germs?'' honestly, im not. if i was, i would be dead already since germs are everywhere and i would have killed myself trying to be germ free.
#58 of 784 Old 06-07-2006, 04:12 PM

I keep debating about getting dd a pair of the nomadic sandals. I honestly don't know if she would keep them on.

I have to admit that the no shoes rule in our house doesn't really keep the carpets any cleaner Marley, our loved dog, seems to stay on top of keeping them in a condition that need vaccuming on a daily basis.:

My favorite place to be barefoot is stepping on stones across a creek. There is a beautiful one out in the mountains that I have been to a couple of times. I love the way the cold wet stones feel on my feet and how the creek rushes over the tops of my feet. A very close second, though is the beach, hence my location-Barefoot on the Beach!

Peace mamas

#59 of 784 Old 06-07-2006, 04:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by judybean
nak

I have a pair of shoes that are dangerous to drive in! MIL gave me a pair and I wore them to her house to be polite, I about fell out of the truck holding the baby, they were so slippery. :
#60 of 784 Old 06-07-2006, 06:40 PM

YEEESSSS! Welcome to the club. There really is no turning back. I've always been barefoot and my son shares the joy. We liked Robex for when we needed them-mostly becuase we could get them intown. I'll have to check out Rainbow Hemp

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page