Any other Barefooters out there? - Page 25 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 06-27-2011, 09:31 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamayogibear View Post

Does anyone use vibram five fingers shoes? I have been wanting a pair for a while but can't afford them. It would be nice to hear some comparisons between the five fingers and barefooting by someone who has experience with both. I live in a city so rarely go barefoot outside of my house anymore but long for the days when I did.

Love my vibrams for running. NOTHING is the same as barefoot, but, I get ya, it's hard to be barefoot all the time, well, almost impossible nowadays. My vibrams are hot, though, I live in the desert (115 today), but they sell ones w/just the straps so that might be better. I like that you can feel the ground underneath you, like if you step on a pebble you still feel it! But the fact remains that something is covering your foot and what I like about being barefoot is the freedom.

If/when you can afford them, I'd say do it:)

FYI I recently bought the LUna sandals, a DIY kit, so cheaper. I love the freedom and I wear them now in the summer, but I like vibrams better--they mold your foot better IMO and are definitely more comfortable than my lunas.

Lovin my boys jumpers.gifDH, DS1 (4/7/10), and DS2 (2/19/12)...and - surprise! - another on the way
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-27-2011, 03:15 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)

The Luna Kit looks soo cool. But I live in the NW so it's tough to wear sandals even six months out of the year! I was thinking the five fingers would be nice in the winter, like somehow keep my feet dry but warm.

be good family...

Old 06-27-2011, 04:53 PM

Vibrams won't keep your feet dry if that's what you need. The top of them is kind of a mesh material w/tiny holes so your feet can air. I don't know that all of them are like this. The materials they use, though, lets lots of moisture in. But maybe they've come out with waterproof ones, it never rains here, so I never looked into it!

They will keep them fairly warm - if you get "toe socks" to wear with them. I think the toe separation really cuts back on the warmth, though. 

Oh, and since there's barely a sole, you're closer to the ground so that allows for more moisture from puddles and such.

HTH:)

Lovin my boys jumpers.gifDH, DS1 (4/7/10), and DS2 (2/19/12)...and - surprise! - another on the way
Old 07-08-2011, 04:35 PM

Hi!  wave.gif  I'm new to barefooting, I've been totally barefoot for about a month now and I love it!  I'm surprised how quickly my feet because used to different surfaces.  My kids go mostly barefoot, sometimes they were some cheap-o Robeez-type shoes, especially because Doozer loves shoes.  shrug.gif

But I have a question.  Twice I've been told that I can't come into a store without shoes due to "hazards," glass being the most cited reason.  Once was at the door at Costco, the lady was really nice about it and said the kids could be barefoot but had to stay in the cart.  I ran back to the car and got my sandals out.  Today was at the grocery store when I was getting ready to check out and the lady seemed pretty mad that I didn't have shoes and said she was worried about glass.  I told her that I would remember next time and she rolled her eyes at me.

I completely understand that stores have the right to refuse service to anyone, but I'm willing to take the risk of stepping on glass.  I know it's a really small risk, and I watch where I walk, etc.  I can carry shoes with me, I guess, but having to pack 3 pairs of shoes and cloth diapers and extra clothes for BuggaBoo who still sometimes wets himself is a lot of stuff.  I would be willing to sign a waiver, but do stores even have waivers of this kind?  Can I type up my own?  Does anyone else have experience with this?

SAHM to DS BuggaBoo blahblah.gif  12/07, and DD Doozer energy.gif03/10.  Sharing life with The Hubby since 01/05.

Old 07-10-2011, 11:16 AM

Lazurii, I'm sure someone else will chime in with some 'liability issues' suggestions, but on the topic of 'carrying shoes', there are easily found little shoes, similar to ballet slippers (slippers, not the toe-shoes!), and they fold up very small & usually have a little matching pouch.  They are sold as something to throw in your tiny purse or pocket when you go out clubbing, so when the night is over & you're on your way home (and presumably drunk ;) ) you can slide them on for comfort instead of tottering around on your impractical high heels.  Heh.  I just like 'em because they're very small & can easily be stowed in your bag.

I saw a bunch for sale at (I think) H&M in a bin near the registers for $5.  I've seen them in other stores as well & they're usually inexpensive.

Anyway, that could be an option for you, in places that give you a hard time.  There's also, of course, the 'foot jewelry', which can make it appear to people that you're wearing some kind of thong-style sandal.  There are links to them somewhere in this thread, or you can even make some pretty easy with some leather lacing, or maybe make a strap with a few layers of embroidery floss/thin yarn (macrame it up for durability) and wrap that around your foot. :)

~Brendalee

Here are some links:

http://www.barefootsandals.com/ < -- This is what some of them look like; they're basically foot jewelry.  You can make your own using theirs as a guide, with stretchy beading cord & beads.  Or you could crochet a chain & tie it around in a similar manner, or make a 'friendship bracelet' with macrame & tie that around.  There's another method for tying that I'm searching for...the one I want to find look more like Birkenstock/Teva style sandal-tops. Hrphm.

http://www.instructables.com/id/Tatted-Barefoot-Sandals/  <-- These are pretty if you can tat (I don't know how), or you could use it as a guide for making a similar version in crochet or maybe knitted?

http://www.ehow.com/how_5064589_make-beaded-barefoot-sandals.html <-- some instructions for making them in the style of the first link

http://www.ehow.com/how_5976417_make-hemp-barefoot-sandals.html

ETA: Here we go!  It was in the first post of this thread.  Heh.  In the Barefooters FAQ.  :)  http://www.barefooters.org/faq/22.html

Since the 'foot jewelry' style thongs are somewhat popular on the beach, some people might realize that you're not wearing shoes.  The link above has a version that looks a bit more 'realistic' and should get you by most of the whiners. ;)

Who knows, maybe the kids will find them cute and/or comfortable & also wear them, then you don't have to worry about shoving shoes on them when you want to go inside stores!  :)

HTH!

EATA: Oh yeah, the Barefooters FAQ ( http://www.barefooters.org ) probably has answers to your other questions, now that I think about it. :)  Like, is it legal to drive barefoot?  (yes, in all 50 states, as well as Canada & England!) Also, I think the 'rules' that some food establishments try to trot out (OSHA, etc) is only for EMPLOYEES; there ARE no regulations for CUSTOMERS. The Society for Barefooters page has all the info available. :)

Old 07-11-2011, 04:35 PM

Brendalee, thanks for all the love and links.  I actually found a tutorial for some homemade leather shoes.  I've made a few felt versions for my li'l one and I'm loving them, so I'll just have to make a pair for me.  I went to the thrift store today and found a leather jacket I can cut up for shoe leather.

Gotta run, Doozer is going to detonate in 5, 4, 3, 2, ...

SAHM to DS BuggaBoo blahblah.gif  12/07, and DD Doozer energy.gif03/10.  Sharing life with The Hubby since 01/05.

Old 09-10-2011, 08:48 PM

Subbing...

I never thought of going barefoot as a "thing" - how cool that this thread exists! I've been really into being barefoot all the time this summer, and am curious to see how long into the fall I can keep it up. Since April or May I've only worn shoes on the few occasions, once or twice a month typically, that I go into town - I live and work at an intentional community in the woods, so I'm lucky enough to be able to wear whatever I want all the time, and walk on the grass/earth/gravel paths.

Yay for going barefoot!

Old 09-12-2011, 12:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elspethpaisley View Post

Subbing...

I never thought of going barefoot as a "thing" - how cool that this thread exists! I've been really into being barefoot all the time this summer, and am curious to see how long into the fall I can keep it up. Since April or May I've only worn shoes on the few occasions, once or twice a month typically, that I go into town - I live and work at an intentional community in the woods, so I'm lucky enough to be able to wear whatever I want all the time, and walk on the grass/earth/gravel paths.

Yay for going barefoot!

I'm the same way, I started barefooting this spring and want to continue into the fall/winter.  I'm sure I'm going to have to adapt a bit.  My plan is to makes some leather shoes and wear them with felted wool socks.  I know that will blunt my sensations and movements a bit, but it won't be as bad as with boots or sneakers.  I also like the idea of being in touch with nature more, letting my feet get wet or cold.

Old 09-28-2011, 11:09 PM

Wow, I really like those leather shoes - sounds like a great plan, Lazurii! That reminds me of the duct tape shoes I made when I was a teenager. I wonder how those would have done if I'd worn them every day... Haha. I'm still barefoot despite lots of rain this month, and loving the way muddy ground squishes under my toes... and that I can walk right through giant puddles without worrying about getting my shoes wet :)

Old 09-29-2011, 06:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamayogibear View Post

Does anyone use vibram five fingers shoes? I have been wanting a pair for a while but can't afford them. It would be nice to hear some comparisons between the five fingers and barefooting by someone who has experience with both. I live in a city so rarely go barefoot outside of my house anymore but long for the days when I did.

I wear VFFs.  They're often on sale at CitySports (online store, but they have brick and mortar locations in the northeast US).  I like them.

I went barefoot all last summer and doing so pretty much alleviated all of my pain from plantar fasciitis and tendonitis in my arch (along with pain I have from some mechanical deformities).  Come winter, all the problems came back.  :(  So this summer I was back to barefoot, but there's a lot of glass and gravel which rips up my feet (I swim, so my feet don't stay callused for long).  VFFs have been awesome.  I started with the Performas, but they're indoor only and the leather got worn out quickly from outdoor use.  I bought some KSOs and like them.  I did get a blister on one foot from rubbing against the heel piece, but that went away.  

They don't keep your feet dry.  I hear the Flow might do that, but I don't know for sure.  

My toes would prefer a wider spread (after all, they experienced barefoot freedom), but the VFFs do stretch a bit and my toes are totally happy now.  I walk all over the city in them, shop in them, and go hiking in them.  

The non-leather VFFs do develop stinkiness of doom.  Corpse stench.  Sunning them helps tremendously.

Chasing DS since April 2007 and pumping for DD March 2013.

Old 09-29-2011, 09:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jocelyndale View Post

The non-leather VFFs do develop stinkiness of doom.  Corpse stench.  Sunning them helps tremendously.

Okay, thanks for saying this, because I thought it was just my feet.  My VFFs are STANKY!

I like my VFFs, but in my opinion they aren't very well made.  I've already popped a seam in my pair and the rubber is wearing away quickly.

Old 10-27-2011, 01:32 PM

I'm not quite a barefooter, but I'm pretty close. I also have congenital flat feet and have recently developed mild plantar fasciitis. Anyone have any good sources on dealing with PF without swathing your feet in super padded bulky shoes with mega arch support?

Ashley, Pagan treehugger.gif mama to E (6/09) and my beautiful hbac.gif baby T (4/3/12)
Old 10-27-2011, 02:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunflwrmoonbeam View Post

I'm not quite a barefooter, but I'm pretty close. I also have congenital flat feet and have recently developed mild plantar fasciitis. Anyone have any good sources on dealing with PF without swathing your feet in super padded bulky shoes with mega arch support?

Going barefoot is what helped FINALLY beat my PF.  I had chronic PF--dating back to at least the late nineties.  I say "beat", but it's only mostly beaten.  If I put shoes back on for a day or two, the pain starts to return.

Old 11-02-2011, 11:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jocelyndale View Post

Going barefoot is what helped FINALLY beat my PF.  I had chronic PF--dating back to at least the late nineties.  I say "beat", but it's only mostly beaten.  If I put shoes back on for a day or two, the pain starts to return.

Barefoot is a huge help for me dealing with PF, also. I took a seminar by Michael Sandler and bought his book, "Barefoot Running," which has lots of good information and tips. After trying out a few different minimalist shoes, I have been wearing Softstar moccasins (indoors or dry weather) and their ramblers (with a rubber sole) outdoors.  (http://www.softstarshoes.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=category.display&category_id=43) Good news, they now also have a boot! Along with my policy of wearing Softstars or nothing, other things that have helped greatly with the PF are: wearing the night-time splint that keeps the foot in a flexed position (I was skeptical about this at first, but it really does help!), massaging and exercising the foot with this little roller-ball from REI, http://www.rei.com/product/706082/surefoot-foot-rubz (this little ball is AWESOME!!) and always doing lots of foot and calf stretching before, during, and after any amount of walking or running. And I rub in "Peaceful Mountain" brand "tendon rescue gel" when I remember or when I feel a bit achy.

Hope that helps!

Old 11-02-2011, 12:00 PM

Sadly, I react to some of the materials used in SoftStar shoes and boots.

Fortunately, I'm finding that Injinji liners (not the smartwool) and my KSOs are just fine on cold *dry* days, so long as I keep moving.

Old 11-07-2011, 01:22 PM

Hi,

I'm new to this forum, but its a great idea - didnt know there were so many keen barefooters out there! Im from New Zealand which is very barefoot friendly, no problems going into shops or anywhere really. Both my two children are always barefoot, which annoys my MIL, and I haven't worn shoes for ages, just doesnt seem any need to. I certainly enjoy the many surfaces my feet touch and the sensations that I feel.

Certainly dont get any stares or rude comments which does seem to be an issue for those living in the US, may be because there are so many women, men and children barefoot here. Weather down in NZ is very mild and going into summer which is an excellent time to be barefoot.

Keep on barefootin'!    

Old 11-23-2011, 11:53 AM

Hell, where are all the barefoot mama's out there! This tribe is very quiet, but Im sure there must be many mama's out there who want to tell their story and share their experiences. Now its getting much warmer here in New Zealand all the mama's are finding their barefeet and escaping from those ghastly shoes!

Im pretty much 100% barefoot all year round now as our climate is so temperate, we dont get any snow here in Auckland, so its easy to go barefoot pretty much all year.

I love to push the barefooting boundaries out, which is really easy to do in NZ as it really is a pretty barefoot friendly country, and see what the response is. Just last week my boyfriend and I had to go to our lawyer to sign up some papers for the car wrecking business we have bought, and I chose to go barefoot. Wore a short summer dress, quite tasteful I thought, but kept the feet bare. Had been shopping and gardening earlier so my feet were reasonably dirty, but not overly so. The lawyer was surprised to see me barefoot, I just told him I was 'casual' today and he said no problem at all. He admired my tattoos on my legs and feet, I have tattoo patterns on my thighs and calves, butterflies and stars etc on my feet, and liked my toe rings. The women in the office gave me a dirty look but I gave a sh*#tty look back and they turned away.

Over the weekend an elderly couple moved in to the house next door. Thought Id do the neighbourly thing and take my two ds's over and introduce myself to them. We have been out in the garden so our feet were very dirty. Arrived on their doorstep and introduced myself and the kids, and was invited in to their house. Obviously didnt think about our dirty feet (as we dont bother about it at home), straight in and walked onto their cream carpet, leaving three pairs of dirty foot prints on their carpet! I laughed so hard as my two children ran round their house leaving a trail of dirty foot prints everywhere. The elderly woman was a bit angry to say the least, but I told her Im sure the would come off with a vacuum. One of the hazards of being barefoot I guess! They offered me a glass of wine which was nice, and being the very liberal mama I am, I let my two sons have some from the glass. I have no problem letting my ds's drink with me like that, but the couple were horrified! Dont know how the relationship will go with these people, as I tend to let me ds's run round the neighbourhood streets doing what they like, along with two dogs who do tend to sh#t everywhere. We may have some problems!

Now summer is here all my friends are barefoot. We met for coffee the other day at a local shopping mall, we were all in barefeet along with our children, which was fantastic. Dropped my youngest ds off at preschool last week in barefeet, wearing denim cut off shorts and halter top, and another mother admired me in barefeet. I tolf her that I was pretty much 100% barefoot and she thought that was great, next day she arrived with her son at pre school, she was barefoot too! We smiled at each other - its great this barefoot lifestyle is catching! Long may it continue!    

Old 11-25-2011, 09:04 PM

Barefoot thread is still here? I got the impression from something I'd read that it wasn't here anymore, so I started a new one here http://www.mothering.com/community/t/1337061/what-happened-to-the-barefoot-threads/0_100

I'm glad to see this is still here.

Old 11-30-2011, 05:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by solemum View Post

Over the weekend an elderly couple moved in to the house next door. Thought Id do the neighbourly thing and take my two ds's over and introduce myself to them. We have been out in the garden so our feet were very dirty. Arrived on their doorstep and introduced myself and the kids, and was invited in to their house. Obviously didnt think about our dirty feet (as we dont bother about it at home), straight in and walked onto their cream carpet, leaving three pairs of dirty foot prints on their carpet! I laughed so hard as my two children ran round their house leaving a trail of dirty foot prints everywhere. The elderly woman was a bit angry to say the least, but I told her Im sure the would come off with a vacuum. One of the hazards of being barefoot I guess! They offered me a glass of wine which was nice, and being the very liberal mama I am, I let my two sons have some from the glass. I have no problem letting my ds's drink with me like that, but the couple were horrified! Dont know how the relationship will go with these people, as I tend to let me ds's run round the neighbourhood streets doing what they like, along with two dogs who do tend to sh#t everywhere. We may have some problems!

I read this a few days ago but refrained from commenting to make sure I still felt the same way.  I do.

IMO it's fine to run around barefoot and get your feet dirty and enter places with those dirty feet if they have surfaces conducive to dirty feet (linoleum, hard wood, tile).  However I feel it's very important to have respect for other people's property.  I understand how your forgot about your dirty feet before stepping on their cream carpet.  At the same time I don't feel like the best reaction was to laugh about it, let your children continue to dirty their property and (I'm assuming) not offer to clean up after them.  Just because you choose to be barefoot doesn't mean that they chose to get their cream carpets all muddy.

PS:  I hope you clean up after your dogs.

Old 12-01-2011, 02:17 AM

I must say that I figured solemum was making fun of us or something like that by posting what she did. I cannot believe that anyone would laugh about the things she supposedly did.

Mama to a little lady and always praying for more.
Old 12-01-2011, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LessTraveledBy View Post

I must say that I figured solemum was making fun of us or something like that by posting what she did. I cannot believe that anyone would laugh about the things she supposedly did.

I hope so.

Old 12-01-2011, 12:32 PM

Yes, I was pretty shocked by that post too, speechless actually! I hate to have barefooting be even more associated w/dirtyness than it already is! 

AFM, thinking of getting some softstars. Even in the desert it often feels too cold for my vibrams:(

Anyone make there own shoes by knitting and felting wool slippers? I was thinking about it but figured I should put some leather or something on the soles...ideas??

Old 12-01-2011, 02:49 PM

Yippiehippie, I've been trying to do something like that for my kids but not having a ton of success.  I'm using felted wool sweaters as fabric and making a suede sole.  I just don't have a pattern to use and making one up isn't working.  I'm thinking of just making the wool slipper/boot protion and then stitching the suede on afterwards with a blanket stitch.

I would love something like these boots from WoolyBaby on Etsy.  I think they're super cute!  She even has adult sizes.

Old 12-01-2011, 07:07 PM

I also didn't know what to make of the rudeness of that behavior, but some people don't think, I guess. Other than that, she seems like an interesting person (I've read a few posts she has made in other places).

I researched (online) home-made shoes a long time ago. Here's what I have bookmarked:

Shoes and sandals out of corn husks.

http://www.thefreelibrary.com/Things+to+make+with+corn+husks%3A+make+your+own+shoes+and+sandals!-a013299370

Crocheting sandals out of grocery bags.

http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=87737.0

Soft-soled leather shoes - they're selling the pattern.

http://www.makethemyourself.com/wshoe.html

Not exactly what you're looking for, but you may like to look at the links anyway.

Old 12-01-2011, 08:03 PM

I've seen folks stitch soft leather to wool socks (felted or not) and then dip/brush the soles in rubber.  Being allergic to wool/lanolin and natural rubber latex, it hasn't been high on my list of things to try.

Old 12-02-2011, 07:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lazurii View Post

Yippiehippie, I've been trying to do something like that for my kids but not having a ton of success.  I'm using felted wool sweaters as fabric and making a suede sole.  I just don't have a pattern to use and making one up isn't working.  I'm thinking of just making the wool slipper/boot protion and then stitching the suede on afterwards with a blanket stitch.

I would love something like these boots from WoolyBaby on Etsy.  I think they're super cute!  She even has adult sizes.

I like all the ideas, but this is kinda what I had in mind since I knit only. Looks like I'll be hitting thrift stores for some suede or leather, not sure what else to put on the bottom. Jocelyndale - do you know where ppl get the rubber to paint on the soles? I'd rather have something softer anyway if anyone knows of a good source

Old 12-02-2011, 08:32 AM

I think the rubber is sole in a jar or something like that.

Old 12-02-2011, 10:56 AM

My friend uses puff paint on the bottom of her wool slippers to make them non-slip.  She paints a lot of squiggles on them.

Here's a quick tutorial on how to make "barefoot" shoes using socks and tool grip stuff.  I'm sure wool socks could be used.  I'm actually thinking I'm going to do this for my winter footwear because it looks easy and cheap.

Old 12-02-2011, 01:13 PM

Man, its pretty tough incurring the wrath and judgement of all you mamas out there!

Just to let you know we remain very good friends with the elderly couple next door, my children happily go over there and play, they are the proper grandparents my children dont have, and I often go over to chat and socialise......

Just for the record once the dirt dried on the carpet it was easy to brush off without any problem, and we all laughed about it afterwards.

I am beginning to feel some of the social differences and levels of tolerance between our two nations is far greater than I first thought , maybe thats why you have a NSNSNS policy and we would never dream of having one - just a thought?

Old 12-02-2011, 04:30 PM

Solemum, knowing more of the story is helpful.  It sounded at first as if you didn't care if you damaged their property.  I can attest that a few of my friendships have started with my children doing something that overstepped their social boundaries.

It would make sense there are cultural circumstances that are confusing to both parties.

User Tag List