Any other Barefooters out there? - Page 3 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#61 of 784 Old 06-08-2006, 03:26 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I almost always wear shoes outside, especially when it gets hot since the ground really heats up round here. But as soon as I get into a house or somewhere I'll be up and down, the shoes come right off. I can't stand to have my shoes on at home, but I have TONS of shoes! I only wear a few pairs though, and for the past couple months it's been exclusively flip flops. Now that I work at home, I can be barefoot all the time at work. I had a meeting at the office today and had to not only wear shoes, but DRESS shoes that don't fit me right since I had DS. It was agony!

As for driving barefoot being illegal... someone once told me it was because way back when, the pedals in cars were metal with no covering, and they would get very hot in a closed up car and you could burn your feet. I don't know if that's true, or how much weight it holds outside of Texas, but it's an interesting theory.

DS is usually barefoot, but when he's somewhere he needs shoes, he always wears soft soled leather shoes. I think I read that these are the next best thing to being barefoot. Is this correct?

Mama to two crazy boys (8/05 & 9/07) and happy wife to one wonderful hubby.
#62 of 784 Old 06-08-2006, 04:26 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by corwinegall
I have a pair of shoes that are dangerous to drive in! MIL gave me a pair and I wore them to her house to be polite, I about fell out of the truck holding the baby, they were so slippery. :
: OMG! What kind of shoes were they?!?

Mama to Munchkin  and Chickadee ...and co-parent to 3 additional bundles of energy!
#63 of 784 Old 06-08-2006, 04:47 AM - Thread Starter

It's so much safer to drive barefoot than in sandals or heels

love and peace.

mama to two girls and due in November!
: Circumcision can never be undone :
#64 of 784 Old 06-08-2006, 07:42 AM

Here's a link for the benefits of children being barefoot or wearing soft soled shoes...

When I went to buy a wedding dress w/ my mom for me and dh's wedding I remember her saying that we should go look at shoes. I refused, which was fine, being that we were married barefoot on the beach.

Beth, Mama to dd , wife to dh , teacher :~ Living, Loving, Learning...everyday.
#65 of 784 Old 06-08-2006, 09:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spiderdust
: OMG! What kind of shoes were they?!?
Believe it or not, they were babydoll flats. MIL got them at a thrift store. The bottoms were so slick, it was awlful, I hit the runnerbar and went flying. I did use the opportunity to justify a pair of Chacos
#66 of 784 Old 06-09-2006, 05:09 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mother nurture
When I went to buy a wedding dress w/ my mom for me and dh's wedding I remember her saying that we should go look at shoes. I refused, which was fine, being that we were married barefoot on the beach.
That sounds so nice! We got married at the justice of the peace (we were already married spiritually, so we just needed the legal aspect), but barefoot on the beach sounds so wonderful

I haven't gotten up the courage to try to go barefoot into stores yet (just into the swimming pool lobby). Have any of you tried it and gotten trouble about it or did anyone even notice or were you welcomed shoeless?

love and peace.

#67 of 784 Old 06-09-2006, 11:40 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Ok, how do you ladies deal with hard and sharp soles in bed from barefooting? Or am I the only one having that problem?

I can pumice them, but won't I be taking some protection away from my feet if I do that?

Mama to Munchkin  and Chickadee ...and co-parent to 3 additional bundles of energy!
#68 of 784 Old 06-09-2006, 11:53 PM

I love being barefoot - but I must say I wear flipflops in stores, etc. Barefoot in the office sure - barefoot in the gas station restroom, no way!
#69 of 784 Old 06-10-2006, 12:02 AM

Wow, I didn't know this was so popular! I've always loved being barefoot, I'm known for taking off my shoes whenever possible. My friend and I used to go to Fall Fun Fest w/o out shoes, and walk around all evening that way, getting funny looks from people, which we loved. I'm known for taking my shoes off at work, and used to be known for taking my shoes off at school--I even got in trouble for in one day! I think ds likes it, too. Does it make sense that people say it's disgusting to walk around, getting your feet all dirty, when most people wear the same shoes every day w/o washing them?

I would think driving barefoot is a lot safer than driving with floppy or stiff sandals on. I like to keep a pair in my car in the summertime. When I drove a stick shift, I couldn't drive with shoes!

Rachel, massage therapist and single mom :to Keanu 7/29/04 and Juniper 11/18/11!  Lovingfemalesling.GIFcd.gifnamaste.giflactivist.gifgd.giffambedsingle1.gif

#70 of 784 Old 06-10-2006, 01:24 AM

I love going barefoot too! My feet have no feeling for the most part on the bottoms from going barefoot so much as a little kid. I've left the house and gone places without shoes and not even realized it before, until we got there and someone else noticed I forgot them. Once it gets to be March I put away my shoes and socks and get out the flip flops for stores and eating out. I don't touch socks again until it gets too cold and nasty out for bare feet. In some places around here people won't look twice if you go in a gas station or something without shoes.

Momma to Sweet Rosie 7/06, Lost Baby J 1/09 at 12 weeks pregnant, Spitfire Ada born 4/21/10, and Baby Boy due July/August 2013!
Aspiring urban homesteader, photographer, homeschooling momma! Blog link in my profile. 

#71 of 784 Old 06-10-2006, 01:26 AM

I, too, love being barefoot. I own a couple pairs of flip flops and one pair of actual shoes. I think I own two pairs of socks. I nearly always drive barefoot. I feel much more in control of a car when I'm barefoot...I'm not so much a lead foot then. And someone may have already mentioned this but I'd try to find out if driving barefoot in your state is truly illegal. People kept telling me it was but when I took driver's ed. (in Minnesota) I was told by my instructor that it is NOT illegal but it's a common myth. Yes, I asked. ANd I took his word for it...he was a cop.

Now I live in Australia...when I first moved here I lived briefly in Queensland, then lived in New South Wales for some time and have just moved back to QLD...QLD seems to be a very barefoot-y sort of place. I'm always seeing people walking through grocery stores and such without shoes on. I feel quite at home.
#72 of 784 Old 06-10-2006, 03:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruthieroo
Now I live in Australia...when I first moved here I lived briefly in Queensland, then lived in New South Wales for some time and have just moved back to QLD...QLD seems to be a very barefoot-y sort of place. I'm always seeing people walking through grocery stores and such without shoes on. I feel quite at home.
Sounds like a great place. I get lots of strange looks around here for more than one reason One of course being me and barefoot dd.

Getting trouble in stores...I was asked to leave a few stores before when barefoot. One store, they said they had a "No shirt, no shoes, no service" sign on the door and I would be welcomed to come back w/ shoes. Funny thing was it was a store at the beach. Right on the ocean:

For me it totally depends on the store and the restroom. I think a lot of it is just psychological for me. I use public restrooms at the beach and pools barefoot, but am leery about gas station bathrooms. I will walk into stores at the beach and other stores in town, but I wouldn't want to walk around the local goodwill in barefeet, yet I buy their clothes. I am a very silly lady

My feet are not horribly rough or hard, but they are very strong and not sensitive to things like hot pavement, rocks, etc. I was a barefoot child. Of course they are NOT by any means soft and subtle. Dh doesn't mind. Sometimes he'll lather them up w/ oil and give me a foot massage, but I really don't do much else besides wash them. I don't mind them being "walked and wandered in" as I like to call it.

Peace, mamas

#73 of 784 Old 06-10-2006, 04:21 AM - Thread Starter

My feet aren't rough at all... just kinda tough and leathery, but very flexible still! The best shoes are built in

love and peace.

#74 of 784 Old 06-10-2006, 11:32 AM

I love to go barefoot, but do wear shoes when I go out to stores ect. DD really dislikes going shoeless, as does dh. BUT DS loves the fel of the earth under his feet!
#75 of 784 Old 06-10-2006, 11:43 AM

I can't stand shoes. I wear them to public places, stores, work, etc. But at home or even family/friends house, those shoes come off!
I usually have a couple of cheapo pairs of flipflops that I wear when I need to wear shoes. There was a very small rule about no flipflops (managers thought they looked too unprofessional) at my work, well that changed when I got here. Now I'm known as the "flip flop girl".

My soles are pretty hard, but not rough if that makes any sense. I wouldn't scratch you with them in bed, but they're tough.

DS loves being barefoot too and as soon as we get home from somewhere he's ripping off his shoes and running to play outside.

DP can't walk around the carpeted house without shoes on.

Mama to DS (5/13/02) and DD (7/13/10)
#76 of 784 Old 06-11-2006, 01:27 AM

I've always gone barefoot in the house (so did my mom), the yard whenever possible (should always be possible but DH won't corral the dog's duties to one area), and any place else I can. I do wear shoes to shop, and into public bathrooms.

My kids are like me especially my middle daughter, I can't keep clothes on her much less shoes. Dh thinks I'm crazy. He always has to have socks on in the house.

I've been known to be barefoot or at least shoeless at work on many occasion.

treehugger.gif Alisaynovax.gif,intactlact.gifUsed to be a fly-by-nursing1.gifcd.giffamilybed2.gif, SAHM to three slinggirl.gif, all by ribboncesarean.gif, then they grew up. mecry.gif

Now I am a WOHM, college student, single mama. praying.gif to be belly.gifbfinfant.gifcd.giffamilybed1.gif, buddamomimg1.png, to a littlebabyf.gifagain someday. stillheart.gif 

#77 of 784 Old 06-11-2006, 08:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AuntMissy
My soles are pretty hard, but not rough if that makes any sense. I wouldn't scratch you with them in bed, but they're tough.
I guess this better describes my soles. They are hard and tough. My heels, though, are a bit rough, especially in the summer time. Dh will occasionally says that my heels are scratchy Thus the reason I use oil.

Last night we were coming home from a book store, which might I say there was a lady walking around barefoot in, which surprised me. This is one of the stores I was asked to come back to when I had shoes. Anyway...we got in the car and all three of us quickly kicked off our shoes and there was this huge sound of relief and tense release. It like we all were finally at peace without our shoes.

Peace mamas

#78 of 784 Old 06-11-2006, 09:47 AM

I am a barefoot mama when I can be... Winter in Quebec is a bit too cold for barefeet though I do go quickly to the car or to get things in the shed... but can't go for much longer then that in the snow and cold...

I can't drive with shoes at all so even at -30C I will take off my boot to drive...

In the summer I wear flip-flops when in stores etc but I am starting to get the urge to go barefoot all of the time...

This Summer I have two weddings to go to and I am so nervous because I need to find shoes to go with my dress... At my wedding 7 years ago I wore my doc marten sandles at my wedding... so I have no clue what to look for...

Great to find some other barefoot mamas!!!

~paxye~
Mama to Xavier (July 02) , Colin (Sept 04), Khéna(Nov 06) & Wilhelmina (Jan 10)
#79 of 784 Old 06-11-2006, 10:12 AM

For those who have a no shoe rule in the house as I have...
What do you do with people that bring "house shoes"... so many people come to my house and bring house shoes because they no I have a no shoe rule... I insults me like crazy but I don't know what to say... It is usually people like my MIL, my grandmother etc...
I just don't like shoes in my house... I don't care if they have never been outside.. It not the point! It insults me...
Dh thinks that I am looking for a fight since my no smoking rule includes anywhere that is 10 feet from the house so these people are already not happy...

~paxye~
#80 of 784 Old 06-12-2006, 07:44 AM

As far as the house shoes...we've never had that experience.

#81 of 784 Old 06-12-2006, 08:44 AM

Count us all in - we only wear shoes for out doors, our flat is a no-shoe zone, my kids wore the daisy roots (soft leather shoes) for out doors for ages but now that school is looming into view we're getting shoes. My feet have changed alot since becoming a SAHM and I may as well get rid of all the shoes that I never wear any longer, I do try quite hard to get rid of them but as I used to have a bit of a shoe fetish it's kinda hard!

ewe + dh = our little lambs + we and have many just : and : life .
#82 of 784 Old 06-12-2006, 10:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by paxye
For those who have a no shoe rule in the house as I have...
What do you do with people that bring "house shoes"... so many people come to my house and bring house shoes because they no I have a no shoe rule... I insults me like crazy but I don't know what to say... It is usually people like my MIL, my grandmother etc...
I just don't like shoes in my house... I don't care if they have never been outside.. It not the point! It insults me...
Dh thinks that I am looking for a fight since my no smoking rule includes anywhere that is 10 feet from the house so these people are already not happy...
I would guess it would depend on the person but it could be that the people who bring "house shoes" are not trying to insult you. It might be that they don't like the way their feet look or they might even be stinky. I know when I used to work, wearing stocking made my feet "real ripe". They could kill someone! Plus I think that older people such as your grandmother were told over and over again that they must wear shoes when they were younger. Or then again they could be trying to drive you out of your mind.
#83 of 784 Old 06-13-2006, 07:56 AM

We're barefoot here most of the time...the kids and me...DH is slowly getting into it (after 14 years ).

As for houseshoes, I agree that some people have just grown up thinking they HAD to have something on their feet. They say that you lose most of your heat through your head and feet (extremities), and without adequate heating sources in the past, everyone kept their feet covered even indoors. That thinking gets ingrained into people.
#84 of 784 Old 06-13-2006, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by walmin22
I would guess it would depend on the person but it could be that the people who bring "house shoes" are not trying to insult you.
I agree with you... I don't believe that they are trying to insult me... However, it does! I have a friend that I visit often and for religious reasons everyone must take their shoes off in the house, no houseshoes etc... even repair men etc are asked to take off their shoes...
That is what I would love in my house...

~paxye~
#85 of 784 Old 06-17-2006, 02:27 AM - Thread Starter

Those of you with barefoot children, do you ever get threatened about CPS or anything? Would it be prudent to bring a pair of shoes for your dc along just in case someone questioned you? What about in the winter? Then do you just use soft-soled shoes? Which ones?

love and peace.

#86 of 784 Old 06-17-2006, 02:46 AM

if it weren't for all the bugs i see on the ground i would always be shoe-less in my yard and driveway when the kids play(we never leave these 2 places). The thought of stepping on one though gives me the creeps.
#87 of 784 Old 06-17-2006, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mother nurture
We love www.nomadicstate.com They are beautifully made and oh so comfortable. Definitely check them out.
Thanks SO much for that link... I ordered some and they got here yesterday... OMG they are amazing!! I LOVE them!!!
I was a bit scared that they would be scratchy but not at all... so soft and so light that I feel like I am barefoot in them....

~paxye~
#88 of 784 Old 06-17-2006, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MamaTaraX
I'm trying to figure out why it would be illegal to drive barefoot. That seems incredibly stupid!
On one of the links in that first starting post, they prove there is no law about driving barefoot. Or in food establishments.

Rachel, massage therapist and single mom :to Keanu 7/29/04 and Juniper 11/18/11!  Lovingfemalesling.GIFcd.gifnamaste.giflactivist.gifgd.giffambedsingle1.gif

#89 of 784 Old 06-17-2006, 01:41 PM

Oh, i believe i am.... But only part-time.... i was more so as a child and through my teenage years.
My lil Brother actually commented that he thought it was ,"COOL" that i didn't wear shoes.
Subbing.... i'll be inspired!
Peace~*
#90 of 784 Old 06-17-2006, 01:56 PM

I'm one that loves how shoes look, but hate how they feel! So I have too many shoes, most of which get worn for a couple hours at a time when I get dressed up to go out somewhere, then kicked off as soon as possible. Dd is the same way. She looooooooves to buy new shoes, and put them on with a pretty dress, but as soon as we walk into a house (ours or someone elses) off they go. I go outside barefoot when I can, but we're in the midwest so we get really cold winters and really hot summers, so spring and fall are my only options.

My current shoes of choice when I have to wear them are Crocs. LOVE THEM! Both my kids have a pair too. It's like walking on pillows, they are so fabulous. And unlike my birks, if they get wet, they dont' feel slimy and they dry really fast.

I'm actually limping right now because I stepped on a shard of dog bone (thank goodness my feet found it, not their digestive systems!) and tore up the arch/instep area of my foot, but I still can't fathom wearing shoes in the house to prevent such things.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page