atheist/agnostic tribe - Page 14 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#391 of 699 Old 06-11-2009, 07:23 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Has anyone tried meetup.com to find a local atheist group? We did...it's a small group but it was really fun! There's a picnic this Sunday, we're looking forward to it!

Noli...I deal with that too, although not job related. It's frustrating. We all know how upset their families would get if our kiddo 'imposed' our thoughts onto them, but it's ok in reverse for their kid to do it. Ugh.

GOOD moms let their kids lick the beaters. GREAT moms turn off the mixer first!
Humanist Woman Wife , & Friend Plus Mama to 6 (3 mos, 2, 9, 13, 17, 20)
#392 of 699 Old 06-11-2009, 10:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoliMum View Post
I'd like to know what you do when you encounter a child who is being raised with the typical Christian teaching, and talks about it around your child.

I babysit this little girl who is so sweet, but every now and then, she will pray before a meal (God is good, God is great...), or speak the propaganda that is taught to young children, "Jesus loves me!" or "God knows when you're lying." Yikes!!!!! I don't want my kiddo picking that up but I also don't want to freak this little girl out (and possibly lose my job) by telling her to keep her beliefs to herself.

Advice?
No advice at all...although, this worries me because I raised DD(5yo) christian and was a christian myself up until about a year ago. I am now an atheist, married to an atheist, and pregnant. We'd like to find other atheist friends, but i don't want them thinking poorly of my daughter if she occasionally says something...which isn't very often at ALL, as i haven't been egging it on for a L-O-N-G time now, but she still mentions she believes every so often...

I'm not sure what to do about that either, other than teach her about other religions and be honest about my OWN beliefs, without bursting her bubble.
#393 of 699 Old 06-12-2009, 02:12 PM

Re the other children praying around your child, etc., for the most part, I'd just not make a big deal out of it when it happens. Afterward, when it was just family, I'd explain to my child that people have differing beliefs.

My kids are sort of being raised UU. My 8 yo is a hard core atheist. I overheard her playing with a little Christian friend who was trying to tell her about god. Dd just said, "Whatever! I don't think god is real. Do you want to play monopoly now?"

The same dd came to me all jealous because her friends were having First Communion parties and she wasn't. When I explained what First Communion was all about, she was pretty horrified, and all of the sudden that foofy white princess dress wasn't so appealing.
#394 of 699 Old 06-12-2009, 06:37 PM

Quote:
Has anyone tried meetup.com to find a local atheist group? We did...it's a small group but it was really fun! There's a picnic this Sunday, we're looking forward to it!
No, I haven't. I'm going to check Facebook and Meetup, but since we live in a very active Bible Belt, I'm not sure we'll have much luck. It's worth a gander though, as I was also sure there was no other APing Families in the area.
#395 of 699 Old 06-12-2009, 06:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by teale View Post
No, I haven't. I'm going to check Facebook and Meetup, but since we live in a very active Bible Belt, I'm not sure we'll have much luck. It's worth a gander though, as I was also sure there was no other APing Families in the area.
Where in Alberta are you?
#396 of 699 Old 06-12-2009, 08:09 PM

Southern Alberta.

I checked the Meetup board here, and there was a Freethinkers group, and a Christian group. I don't think Meetup is as popular down here as it is in other areas.

Yahoo Groups is apparently another good way to branch out. I'm new to that as well.
#397 of 699 Old 06-12-2009, 08:42 PM

Quote:
Southern Alberta.

I checked the Meetup board here, and there was a Freethinkers group, and a Christian group. I don't think Meetup is as popular down here as it is in other areas.

Yahoo Groups is apparently another good way to branch out. I'm new to that as well.
Well, you can come meet up with me! We can start out own atheist group. I think there *might* be an exmo group in Lethbridge. But I've heard the Calgary exmos don't gather like the Edmonton ones do.
#398 of 699 Old 06-13-2009, 02:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hollyvangogh View Post
Well, you can come meet up with me! We can start out own atheist group. I think there *might* be an exmo group in Lethbridge. But I've heard the Calgary exmos don't gather like the Edmonton ones do.

Are you in the area?! I'm definitely up for starting a group like that, I'm sure we'd find some interest in the area. I've done some searches, and nothing comes up for this area I know there is a UU that meets, but the idea of a structured, church-like setting doesn't settle well with me.
#399 of 699 Old 06-13-2009, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Are you in the area?! I'm definitely up for starting a group like that, I'm sure we'd find some interest in the area. I've done some searches, and nothing comes up for this area I know there is a UU that meets, but the idea of a structured, church-like setting doesn't settle well with me.
I'm in the Hat.
#400 of 699 Old 06-14-2009, 09:31 PM

I just joined this board and am glad to see this thread! I am an agnostic who grew up in a church that is very cult-like. Anyone here heard of the Church of Christ?

Anyway, long story short, I left that church in my early 20's. Shortly thereafter I left Christianity altogether. I have deep emotional scars from both my church upbringing and growing up with a mentally ill mother. I am determined to break the cycle with my own kids.

Nice to meet all of you!
#401 of 699 Old 06-14-2009, 10:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenrene View Post
I just joined this board and am glad to see this thread! I am an agnostic who grew up in a church that is very cult-like. Anyone here heard of the Church of Christ?
Welcome! I'm sure you'll fit right in!

I'd like to recommend a book for all us mamas who have left harmful churches: Standing For Something More by Lyndon Lamborn

It's by a Mormon and about Mormonism...sort of. But really it's about destructive mind control. DH and I are REALLY enjoying it so far. We got to meet the author (like I mentioned). I've also been told that Steven Hassan's book Releasing the Bonds: Encouraging People to Think for Themselves is invaluable to people leaving cults and cult-like religions. It's on my list of books to read.
#402 of 699 Old 06-14-2009, 11:23 PM

Quote:
quote removed by admin
Hee, that made me giggle.

Holly, I know the recommendations were for greenrene, but I'm going to have to find that book.

Welcome Green!
#403 of 699 Old 06-14-2009, 11:57 PM

Quote:
Hee, that made me giggle.

Holly, I know the recommendations were for greenrene, but I'm going to have to find that book.

Welcome Green!
They were for everybody!
#404 of 699 Old 06-15-2009, 01:42 AM

I'm adding them to my list of books to find. Do you order yours off Amazon? The Chapters here lacks any "controversial" books. I can order them in, but it generally costs a pretty penny.
#405 of 699 Old 06-15-2009, 01:57 AM

Quote:
I'm adding them to my list of books to find. Do you order yours off Amazon? The Chapters here lacks any "controversial" books. I can order them in, but it generally costs a pretty penny.
Well, Lyndon gave us a copy of his book when we met him. But I'm pretty sure it's on Amazon. The library might have the other book.
#406 of 699 Old 06-15-2009, 06:55 PM

Quote:
Well, Lyndon gave us a copy of his book when we met him. But I'm pretty sure it's on Amazon. The library might have the other book.
Does he do those seminars often? I went to his website and couldn't find any links about it, or so forth. I'd love to finally attend one.

I stayed up way too late reading a lot of info, and links from his website. I took a break a few years ago from reading anything about the church. I found I was still too angry, and too wounded from the whole situation. Now I felt empowered and excited to be reading something that FINALLY answered questions I've had for a very long time.

I definitely need to find a way to network out into the community here with other ex-mormons. There's a high percentage of practicing, but I'm sure there are some that are not practicing anymore.
#407 of 699 Old 06-15-2009, 07:26 PM

Quote:
Does he do those seminars often? I went to his website and couldn't find any links about it, or so forth. I'd love to finally attend one.

I'm not sure. I know he's done at least one other because it's on YouTube. There's talk of getting Richard Packham to speak next year. He'd definitely be worth a drive up to Edmonton.
#408 of 699 Old 06-16-2009, 03:21 AM

#409 of 699 Old 06-16-2009, 01:54 PM

Have you all seen this?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BNf-P_5u_Hw

Student Midwife : Nature Loving Mama : to Quinn : June '08 :::
#410 of 699 Old 06-16-2009, 02:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngeliqueW View Post
I started watching that movie a while ago but couldn't finish. It seemed off some how.

Wikipedia says
Quote:
The February 25, 2009 edition of eSkeptic,[21] the online newsletter of The Skeptics Society, criticizes the first part of the film (the one on Christianity) by saying:

"Perhaps the worst aspect of [...] Part I of Peter Joseph’s Internet film, Zeitgeist, is that some of what it asserts is true. Unfortunately, this material is liberally — and sloppily — mixed with material that is only partially true and much that is plainly and simply bogus. [...] Zeitgeist is The Da Vinci Code on steroids."
#411 of 699 Old 06-16-2009, 03:18 PM

That's a great video Angelique...thanks for sharing!

GOOD moms let their kids lick the beaters. GREAT moms turn off the mixer first!
Humanist Woman Wife , & Friend Plus Mama to 6 (3 mos, 2, 9, 13, 17, 20)
#412 of 699 Old 06-17-2009, 09:46 PM

Quote:
I started watching that movie a while ago but couldn't finish. It seemed off some how.

Wikipedia says
I wonder which parts aren't true...?
Guess I'll have to do do some investigating.
Leave it to the atheists to debunk the debunkers!

Student Midwife : Nature Loving Mama : to Quinn : June '08 :::
#413 of 699 Old 06-20-2009, 02:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngeliqueW View Post
I wonder which parts aren't true...?
Guess I'll have to do do some investigating.
Leave it to the atheists to debunk the debunkers!
The problem I started to have when I was reading/watching/researching religion is that sometimes the author or producer can be slightly jaded. It's tough to find legit imformation out there that isn't tinged with some sort of anger, or laced with other intents.

I try to read everything with a grain of salt, take what I do know and see what meshes together. Generally, you can pick out the fake stories from the genuine, but it's tough.
#414 of 699 Old 06-20-2009, 03:41 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenrene View Post
I just joined this board and am glad to see this thread!

Nice to meet all of you!
Same Here
#415 of 699 Old 06-22-2009, 01:09 PM

No time to post now, but wanted to join. Hi!
#416 of 699 Old 06-23-2009, 01:32 PM

Welcome greenrene, cathy17 and Ell-Bell!

Doula ~ CBE ~ Life Partner to my ManBearPeach ~ Multiple-miscarriage Survivor ~ Homebirthing, Breastfeeding, CDing, Babywearing, Co-Sleeping Mama to my Boy Bean , born 9/30/09!
#417 of 699 Old 06-23-2009, 01:48 PM

I would like to join as well. Hopefully will have more time to post tonight
#418 of 699 Old 06-24-2009, 04:42 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I love the book suggestion!

I know I've posted about my best friend before, who is VERY religious, but also very cool. Her husband is a bishop in a church mentioned here a lot.

Anyway, I have her kids over regularly, almost always for long sleepovers. When they come over, the "littles" (10 and below) sleep all together in the living room...so I was trying to be a good host and remind the visiting kids to say their prayers, and my son blurts out, "I don't want to be quiet for this part, I don't even believe in god!"

While I agree with the sentiment...well, wow. He's pretty vocal about his beliefs, and I felt pretty bad. I mean, they were our guests. OTOH, he's 8.

I haven't heard the story back from the mom, but I'm wondering if I should bring it up?

love, penelope

Bookworm Mama to 6 wonderkids and stepmama to one more: 22, 21, 18, 13, 10, 8 and our Z born April 2013. . Partner to my       
#419 of 699 Old 06-24-2009, 10:43 AM

My 6 yo has done similar things as above poster's 8 yo and my problem is why do/should I feel bad? If one doesn't believe in god and praying and all the broohaha that goes along w/religion I shouldn't feel guilty or bad about not participating and neither should my children. She can be respectful but why should she have to be quiet when others are praying? Why should I have to explain why we don't do all the religious stuff anymore then those who do? Which of course they don't and are shocked when they realize we don't attend church and then start prying into all the other details. I am not embarrassed by our lack of religion and yet I find myself apologizing about it.

Penelope, I definitely would not bring the issue up w/mom. It probably wasn't that big of deal w/the kids and even if they mentioned it to their parents it was probably taken fairly lightly as it came from your child and you all seem to have a fair amount of respect for each other despite the different beliefs.
#420 of 699 Old 06-24-2009, 06:39 PM

Yay for new people! I love seeing this group grow!

I've been very busy this week- from moving, to now spontaneously organizing a Doula workshop, to working, and that's just the tip of the iceberg.

I hope this summer starts to slow down soon!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page