atheist/agnostic tribe - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 07-17-2008, 06:14 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Here

Unassisted birthing, atheist, poly, bi WOHM to 4 wonderful, smart homeschooling kids Wes (14) Seth (7) Pandora Moonlilly (2) and Nevermore Stargazer (11/2012)  Married to awesome SAH DH.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-17-2008, 12:29 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Here, FWIW...

We're a 'gesundheit' house here too.
Old 07-17-2008, 03:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by expat-mama View Post
I say "GROSS!"

just kiddin'- I don't really say anything because I don't like it when people say "bless you" to me...
I dislike the whole idea of "blessing". I guess I could say "oh, I hope you're not getting sick" or something along those lines...but I don't. Is that rude?

I don't feel neglected when people say nothing when I sneeze
People don't say "bless you" when you cough, burp, fart or hiccup...what's so special about sneezing?
"GROSS" :

There are a few origins as of why people say "bless you". I grew up knowing the one about your heart stopping when you sneeze, and saying bless you to bring you back, or something like that. There is also one about it being the first sign of the plague and people saying "bless you" to help stop the disease from spreading. I know.
Old 07-17-2008, 04:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LemonJuice View Post
There is also one about it being the first sign of the plague and people saying "bless you" to help stop the disease from spreading. I know.
That's what i was gonna say.
Old 07-17-2008, 04:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by california_mom View Post
That's what i was gonna say.
Great minds think alike...and all that
Old 07-19-2008, 11:11 AM

I'm here.

We are UU- so I'll probably just cruise those threads.
Or other non-religious websites.

In "Parenting Beyond Belief"- one of the stories mentions that they say
"THAT'S FUNNY!" when someone sneezes.

(It's a great book- BTW- for raising children without religion. We attend a UU church- and if you don't know-being atheist is perfectly okay in most UU churches.)

VBS.....
OMG- I was raised going to it.
As I mentioned- we are UU- and our "church camp" is this next week.
I'm so excited!!! The authors of the book, "Thank God for Evolution" are going to be the theme speakers. Not exactly sure- seems like he uses a lot of religious language. Should be interesting anyway.
We can always just go swimming or take naps if we don't like his stuff.

Love is my religion. 

Old 07-19-2008, 08:36 PM
Banned

I'm glad to see this thread and the explanation herein for why it was removed and returned.

I'm having some atheist family issues myself, mainly being that I'm about to have to go back to work (I've been a SAHM) and the only quality daycare around here is actually in a church up the street from my house.

We don't vax and we're atheists and I'm going to have to put my 1 yr old in a church daycare. There's going to have to be some dishonesty going on here because we can only claim religious or medical exemption for not vaxing...I'm a little stressed about the whole thing, honestly.

As for sneezing? We say to the baby, "Scat cat!" and to everyone else (also atheist or agnostic) we say "You sneezed."
Old 07-19-2008, 10:08 PM

I'm here too! Even though I've been lurking forever, I'm trying hard to post more! As far as sneezing...we just say bless you. That's what we said in my religious household growing up, and now, I'm too lazy to think of anything else!

Jen...wife to Shawn...Radically Unschooling Mommy to Connor (4/03), Autumn (1/07) Aiden (1/08) and Ella (10/14/09) Just had the of our dreams!
Old 07-22-2008, 12:23 AM

I usually say bless you.

I found out it is offensive to say god bless you in utah, so it works out good. Though I have no problem saying god bless you, what do I care, but now, living here it's just "bless you".
Old 07-22-2008, 12:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjanelles View Post
We don't vax and we're atheists and I'm going to have to put my 1 yr old in a church daycare. There's going to have to be some dishonesty going on here because we can only claim religious or medical exemption for not vaxing...I'm a little stressed about the whole thing, honestly.
Our state is the same way too : We homeschool so we can get away w/ all of it for 2 of my babes..but we want to do co op preschool for our 4 yr old and will have to "lie" about it too. Wtf? It's so ridiculous that MY personal beliefs don't count...but a religion picking beliefs for me do! It feels like it's okay in the state's eyes that the religion keeps your child from being vaxed...but the parent?! Heck no...that's just crazy, apparently :
Old 08-04-2008, 11:55 PM

Howz everyone doing?
Old 08-05-2008, 12:00 AM

Good here..but I killed the thread :

:
Old 08-05-2008, 12:03 AM

Good!

How you doin', orangebird?
Old 08-05-2008, 02:17 AM
Banned

I'm here...again.

It's been pretty stressful in my family.

My big kids start school on Wednesday (2 days from now). I've got one going into high school and one going into middle school.

My little one doesn't have to start daycare yet because I still haven't gotten a job.

My husband has been out of work for 8 weeks and his disability benefits have been all screwed up, to the point that when we have gotten a paycheck, it's been less than half his base pay...and more often than not, we've not gotten a paycheck at all. As it is, he has gotten so frustrated with the whole system that he's going back to work tomorrow, against doctor's orders, and we won't be getting a check this week at all...because his doctor's orders said "NO WORK," but apparently, the disability people don't think that's sufficient, even with all the supporting documentation. I guess they know better than the doctor, huh?

Anyway, sometimes I wish I had some sort of faith so that I could find comfort in the belief that god was going to take care of me and everything was going to be fine.
Old 08-05-2008, 03:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lemon Juice View Post

:
Yea. We just can't bring you anywhere!
Old 08-05-2008, 11:41 PM

Hi!

Subbing...

I usually say "bless you" just out of habit....I don't put much stock into it, and like another poster...too lazy to think of anything else. It's more a reflexive response than anything.

As for the VBS question, as well as the "what church do you guys go to?"...I just say we don't go to church and that we're atheists. I've gotten all sorts of reactions (neutral to disgusted). Generally this is from people I hardly know, and given their response....I decide whether or not I want to know them or not.

Old 08-06-2008, 08:44 PM

Quote:

:
You didn't kill the thread silly. Just isn't much to talk about these days.

Let's see.

Here we go, what about podcasts. Anyone here listen to podcasts? I have a ton I subscribe to. If anyone is into that sort of thing I would love to share.
Old 08-06-2008, 08:49 PM

Oh, cjanelles' post reminds me. We have school starting up here too.

And that's fine.

But what sux is what got sprang on me last month. My hours are being cut and I have to start looking for another job. I hate interviews and really suck at them. When they ask those stock questions I say the dumbest things. Plus, next weekend we are going rafting for 4 days, and then in september we wanted to go to our friends' wedding in CA. I told DP to cancel the wedding trip plans until I find a job. But the rafting thing is already planned and not something I can back out of. We are fortunate and have big savings so I have been dragging my feet, but I really need to get on the ball and apply for a job. I don't want to squander away savings just so I can sit on my ass all week online playing around. I do need to look for a job. BOO!
Old 08-06-2008, 11:37 PM

oh hi!!!!!!!!!
yayyy thread.

earth.gif trottin', pole dancing, Norway and Sweden lovin' , hippie.gif,WOHM Kiddos born waterbirth.jpg 12/11/06 and 08/09/08 
belly.gif with #3 puke.gif EDD:01/2013 yikes2.gif So in love loveeyes.gif with my sweet Swede 2twins.gif and my bonus-son 10/25/98 carrot.gif

Old 08-07-2008, 12:21 AM

Oh, Almadianna! A local mama that's on this thread, woohoo!!
I'm near Ikea, I'd meant to answer your question at some point on what area of town I was in, so I figure now is good cause I lost track of where it was you asked me

I'll send you a pm!

Sorry you have to look for another job, orangebird. Ugh.

Oh!!! I just got a text letting us know dh's paycheck just got deposited. : We've been BROKE for a week. Yay, human moneys are good! dh is going to go get us mocha chillers at Sonic Not being broke any more is a good thing!

I'm glad you have savings, orangebird. Living paycheck to paycheck sucks. One of these days we'll be able to get ahead enough to save. I look forward to living like a grown up eventually.
Old 08-07-2008, 12:25 AM

i live close to the ikea!! a little further down i-10 around 6 minutes away actually.
yayyy houston!
and yayyy not being broke.

earth.gif trottin', pole dancing, Norway and Sweden lovin' , hippie.gif,WOHM Kiddos born waterbirth.jpg 12/11/06 and 08/09/08 
belly.gif with #3 puke.gif EDD:01/2013 yikes2.gif So in love loveeyes.gif with my sweet Swede 2twins.gif and my bonus-son 10/25/98 carrot.gif

Old 08-07-2008, 10:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjanelles View Post
Anyway, sometimes I wish I had some sort of faith so that I could find comfort in the belief that god was going to take care of me and everything was going to be fine.
I think I know how you feel.

It's difficult to find your "salvation"

My dh and I consider ourselves Humanist-
Secular Humanism or Religious Humanism... (along with Unitarian Universalist)

It's also not as "scarey" or intimidating a word for people in the bible belt-
(atheist vs. humanist) they seem to cock their heads funny and say, "Oh- Ok- I've never heard of that..."

hang in there
keep faith in yourself- you aren't alone

joy

Love is my religion. 

Old 08-10-2008, 02:57 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by moon.mom View Post
I think I know how you feel.

It's difficult to find your "salvation"

My dh and I consider ourselves Humanist-
Secular Humanism or Religious Humanism... (along with Unitarian Universalist)

It's also not as "scarey" or intimidating a word for people in the bible belt-
(atheist vs. humanist) they seem to cock their heads funny and say, "Oh- Ok- I've never heard of that..."

hang in there
keep faith in yourself- you aren't alone

joy

I've not done much reading on Humanism, but I figure it probably fits my core beliefs, just based on the name. LOL

I live in the Deep South and people around here get really freaked out if you admit you're an atheist or agnostic. It's like advertising that you're doing Black Mass in your backyard and sacrificing goats every Saturday night.
Old 08-10-2008, 03:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovejeff View Post
I'm here! Before the thread got taken down, there was a discussion started about what to teach your kids to say when someone sneezes (as many of our tribe are understandably uncomfortable with "god bless you.") I didn't get a chance to read all the responses and I need ideas!

Mods, I hope this is ok to post here and not the reason the thread got removed in the first place.
We say "Salud" (SA-lood), Spanish for health.

Kris wife to Stew and mom to Joey 8/03 who cares for , 2 frogs and a worm
Old 08-19-2008, 04:02 AM

Hello, I'm new at this thread. But I find in my wanderings that I belong here more in the last few years than, well, before that.....

Anyways, a friend of mine sent me this silly poll that MSNBC is taking about the words "in god we trust" on our money. While I'm probably pretty indifferent to the whole thing I thought I would at least share it with you all in case you wanted to vote one way or another on it. http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/10103521/

Besides that I'm interested to hear about your experiences and share mine as I make my way through parenting 101-revised... that is different from that of most people in my family and those I grew up with.
Old 08-19-2008, 04:14 AM

Our stance on sneezing...

my dh grew up not being allowed to say it because of his church rules. I grew up saying it off the cuff. So he enjoys being able to say it, although when I think of it, we don't hold a religious sentiment to it... rather a polite phrase in our repertoire.

As for politely declining... I like simply saying you have have other plans. And I think being able to say or putting a label on what you do believe (like saying you're humanist) goes a lot farther toward peace than talking about perhaps what you don't believe. However, I'm a big fan of focusing on the what is rather than what is not's in life...
Old 08-21-2008, 03:05 AM

I am reading the book parenting beyond belief right now and i highly recommend it. It is different essays on parenting without god. There is an essay by Penn Gillett and he talks about saying "bless you" when someone sneezes. In his house they say "that's funny", and he's right it is funny when someone sneezes. I usually just don't make a comment one way or the other.
Old 08-21-2008, 02:10 PM

Quote:
Our state is the same way too : We homeschool so we can get away w/ all of it for 2 of my babes..but we want to do co op preschool for our 4 yr old and will have to "lie" about it too. Wtf? It's so ridiculous that MY personal beliefs don't count...but a religion picking beliefs for me do! It feels like it's okay in the state's eyes that the religion keeps your child from being vaxed...but the parent?! Heck no...that's just crazy, apparently :
Well, i'm in oregon - which has the same "religious beliefs" exemption. I was told that "beliefs" was pretty broad - as is "religious". Basically, here anyway, anything you BELIEVE is considered your religious beliefs.
Old 08-21-2008, 02:16 PM

I just wanted to introduce myself...

I'm a new a born again atheist :P - as of well, a couple weeks ago. Raised Christian my whole life (25 years...woot!).

I'm not "out of the closet" yet...as i'm still living with my parents (divorce issues, etc) and they are very religious. I'm not ready for the Sh*t to hit the fan!

I have a 4 year old DD who i've been teaching about God/Jesus to since she was a baby...how do i deal with my sudden switch in "beliefs"? I don't want to crush her dreams. She thinks Jesus is very real. Prays (with gramma, not me)...goes to church sometimes (also with gramma...).

Sofar what i've been doing is NOTHING. I'd like her to be able to make up her own mind when she's old enough to. I don't want to sway her one way or the other, really. So should i just keep up the "nothing"...eh, i really just don't know *what* exactly i'm doing, lol.
Old 08-21-2008, 03:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beansmama View Post
I just wanted to introduce myself...

I'm a new a born again atheist :P - as of well, a couple weeks ago. Raised Christian my whole life (25 years...woot!).

I'm not "out of the closet" yet...as i'm still living with my parents (divorce issues, etc) and they are very religious. I'm not ready for the Sh*t to hit the fan!

I have a 4 year old DD who i've been teaching about God/Jesus to since she was a baby...how do i deal with my sudden switch in "beliefs"? I don't want to crush her dreams. She thinks Jesus is very real. Prays (with gramma, not me)...goes to church sometimes (also with gramma...).

Sofar what i've been doing is NOTHING. I'd like her to be able to make up her own mind when she's old enough to. I don't want to sway her one way or the other, really. So should i just keep up the "nothing"...eh, i really just don't know *what* exactly i'm doing, lol.
Honestly, I don't think you would have to do much of anything right now for your daughter even though you don't agree with those beliefs anymore. The thing I always consider is how many people are raised in a religious structure, and then as adults find something that fits them better. Plus consider that you are on your belief journey, and that your daughter is on hers. Perhaps when you move to your own home someday that the religious focus that you once had with her fill fade on its own. For me it comes down to saying that this is a choice I am making for myself, and that I respect other people's choices that they make for themselves (even if it makes my skin crawl). And from my perspective beliefs are not etched in stone, they are dynamic and change with your life... so for your dd I wouldn't think it's something that will stick with her forever... and if you're recently divorced and she's used to the Christian dynamic perhaps she's finding comfort in it... that's not necessarily a bad thing... the comfort part, that is.

Just my 2 cents.

User Tag List