atheist/agnostic tribe - Page 5 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#121 of 698 Old 11-21-2008, 08:12 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I just started up a secular homeschooling group a few weeks ago with some other secular/free thinking homeschooling moms in my town.
#122 of 698 Old 11-23-2008, 11:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by APMomOfKimmyN-Maya View Post
I just started up a secular homeschooling group a few weeks ago with some other secular/free thinking homeschooling moms in my town.
I would love to find such a group in any town I'm in, but since I move every few years, that would be tough! :-)

I hate how everyone assumes you're homeschooling b/c you're religious. I'd like to homeschool so my kids get taught FACT, not the white christian American permutation of the truth that is so prevalent in public schools. FWIW, as I learn more about our Founding Fathers and the beginnings of America I am appalled at the "stories" I was taught in school.

Now that it is the "holiday season", how are you teaching your kids to respond to Christmas and all the "family traditions" that go along with it? I suppose it is easy enough to teach them to politely say, "thank you" when someone says "merry Christmas" or "happy Hanukkah" and hope that is the end of it.

On a lighter note, DH found some awesome winter season cards that say, "Axial Tilt: the Reason for the Season". LOL
#123 of 698 Old 11-24-2008, 12:56 PM

In my community there is a huge faith-based homeschooling group, although they claim everyone is welcome... So I think it is mostly Christian families, but they don't necessarily get into discussing the bible when they meet. And there was an unschooling group that was mostly a yahoo group, although it wasn't very active. One weekend lots of emails were flying around with hopes of becoming really active. I met with them once, and they all had older kiddos and since then the online activity has been zero.

Anyways, I hadn't heard from the faith-based group either. Although my ds is only 4 so I think there's not a lot of organized hs'ing going on for that age. But I was hoping to meet other kiddos who are at home... I would be interested to learn the difference between what is taught in school, and more factual information so to speak. For instance, I am surprised to keep finding quotes from founding fathers about separation of church and state, and their fears about government and banking getting to much mixed together... I often hear the christian base talk about the founding fathers putting god in the constitution because this is a "christian" nation. Yet around the election there were discussions about different segments of people, including the % that are non-religious which seemed fairly considerate. I find it hard to fit in with religious people because they seem less tolerant of my views than I somehow need to be of theirs. That carries into my concerns about my son living outside the norm... He asked how people grew before there were people... and I had my dh talk to him about evolution... ha!! can you imagine how many other children are told about Adam & Eve?? All this to say that even though we have freedom of religion in this country it is assumed that we all are supposed to have one, and our children are being discriminated against.

That's one of the reasons I do talk to my son about all types of beliefs that people have--especially surrounding Christmas time. I want him to know that other children have these beliefs... Sort of training him for religious tolerance.

I am lucky to live in a community where there are many liberal thinkers, various religious and non-religious beliefs. But I see predominantly that the christian base is growing strong here. Anyways, my son is still young so we have time to consider how to approach these issues and friendships. Although I have found even though none of my friends attended church or behaved church-like in college that they are all now really into it as parents/older adults... And unfortunately some of those relationships have been strained because of our different beliefs. I think it's sad, and again, how am I to approach this in terms of my own son and his friends. One neighbor in particular has a playmate the same age as my son, and they are definitely Christian. And I have found myself purposefully avoiding church topics are being vague so as not to lose them as a friend for myself and my son. When it came out about my dh's past religious beliefs that he no longer has, I mentioned that all of dh's family here are catholics... as if somehow I needed to say something that would seem like we are NOT without religion. Even though dh is more open about his non-beliefs, we both tend to keep it to ourselves... a little like living in a closet, eh? Again, all of these things filter down to our ds, and I just don't know if it's the right thing to do to have him jumping through hoops or pacifying grandma or trying to fit in with friends with different beliefs. .... Ok, done with my rant. I will add that I'm glad for supposed separation of church and state so at least religion isn't generally talked about at school or work places.

Happy Thanksgiving!
#124 of 698 Old 11-24-2008, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marieangela View Post
Speaking of what we tell our children about god, I haven't told mine anything yet. They are almost 6 and 3 1/2. I mentioned something to my dh the other night about the idea that maybe when they ask we can tell them that the bible is a story and god is a character/idea that some people think is real. Dh thinks that isn't the right thing to say, but isn't sure how we should approach it. I'd appreciate hearing other people's approaches.
My kids are 5 and 3. I feel it is important to define God because they hear the word all the time - "god bless", "god damn it", "for god's sake", etc etc etc.

And I hate the default "well, some people believe" definitions that we non-believers often fall into. Sure, some people believe all sorts of things but my kids need to know what WE believe, and what we believe should not be defined as an absence of belief or in negation to other people's beliefs. there is time enough for them to learn that other people believe differently than us - but I think the biggest failing of Atheists/agnostics as well as UUs (we are UU) is a failure to instill in our kids what WE believe is true about the universe.

Because frankly, our murky, unclear adult concepts are a hard match against clear, black and white definitions of the world that many religious groups offer. For a 5 year old, the idea of a guy in the sky with a white beard is pretty compelling (especially if he also gives you gifts at Christmas!). And studies have shown that if you DO not teach your child about god by age 5, they will create their own image, even if they don't ask. We live in a pretty Christian centric society in the US - it is in our every day language and cultural references - so it is not surprising that kids pick this stuff up even without us teaching it to them.

For us, God is a metaphor for a desire for control or good fortune. When people ask for God's help or say "god bless america", they are asking for good things to happen to them and the people they care about. They are acknowledging that some things are outside their control, that this is a scary fact, and that asking for God's help is a way to counter the lack of control.

I would love for a more concrete definition of God appropriate for an atheist 5 year old, but this is the best I can come up with for the moment.

We also define Jesus as a teacher who lived a long time ago who taught us many wise things. That when people ask for Jesus's help, they are really asking themselves for the wisdom that Jesus had, and to think about what is ethical and strong thing to do. This definition I feel better about as it is pretty concrete and valid.

Siobhan

You know the attributes for a great adult? Initiative, creativity, intellectual curiosity? They make for a helluva kid...
#125 of 698 Old 11-24-2008, 03:56 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Speaking of what we tell our children about god, I haven't told mine anything yet.
We've yet to tell ours, but then again, they're only 4 (next month) and 2. DH is an atheist, but is rather apathetic and would have me discuss matters like this. I'm ignostic when it comes to classical theism and much of traditional theism. They probably wouldn't grasp the whole "what is meant by god?" question 'til much later. Before going any further into the discussion about deities or gods that would have to be tackled. Until then, we pretty much figured that if they're still at the age where they believe Santa is real, then talk about the supernatural and deities found in ancient mythologies would be kept to a minimum.

I'm new here and have lurked from time to time.

Aeona - married to super hot nerd Toby . . . mama to Grace (9) Evangeline (7) Duncan 11.14.08   and Henry (4) born at home. Expecting again early December!  
#126 of 698 Old 11-25-2008, 07:06 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaidymama View Post
I find it hard to fit in with religious people because they seem less tolerant of my views than I somehow need to be of theirs.

Sort of training him for religious tolerance.

Siobhan
I also find it hard to fit in with religious people for the same reason. I'm perfectly capable of holding my tongue when I hear others talk about things that I think are absurd or whatever, but I find many people who are religious feel OBLIGATED and highly justified to try to impose whatever beliefs they have on me. This makes me very angry. Why is it ok for religious people to knock on my door or hand me flyers about something I don't believe in and concepts that I find disturbing (hell, punishment, sin, "evil", etc.) but I'm not allowed to do the same? Can you imagine handing out pamphlets about atheism? Knocking on doors to spread that news that "There is no God and it's okay"? I think one might expect to get hurt... :

As for "religious tolerance"- I plan to teach my children to respect other people no matter what they think or believe. People, no matter what, deserve to be treated humanely and with respect. However, I think "religious tolerance" has gone a bit far in some ways. Should we be tolerant of people who preach hate or war, suicide for a cause, who teach that some people are better than others (for example, gays or people of another religion) or that some people will suffer eternal and painful punishment just because of who they are? I don't think so. These days, it's harder and harder to draw the line with so many fundamentalist groups and religion becoming more and more of a deadly and divisive force in our world. (Sam Harris wrote about this in his book and spoke about it in this lecture.)
I'm hesitant to teach my children to be tolerant of views that can be so closely related to and intermingled to concepts that I think are wrong. :

Quote:
Originally Posted by christifav View Post
I'd like to homeschool so my kids get taught FACT, not the white christian American permutation of the truth that is so prevalent in public schools. FWIW, as I learn more about our Founding Fathers and the beginnings of America I am appalled at the "stories" I was taught in school.

On a lighter note, DH found some awesome winter season cards that say, "Axial Tilt: the Reason for the Season". LOL
I think the exact same way about homeschooling. And I've also been appalled....

Love the card! Where'd you find them?:

Me dreads.gif 32, loving him fuzmalesling.gif33, more each day. Rad boy, jog.gif 7/12/10 & Cool gal baby.gif  4/28/13

I'm a biracial, atheist, humanist, pacifist, anarchist, bibliophile, and educator. Rainbow.gifgd.gifwinner.jpgnocirc.gif

#127 of 698 Old 12-10-2008, 06:30 PM

Hi! Can I join? I just found this tribe...

I'm an atheist, have been for a long time, although I said I was agnostic for the bulk of my life. My mom was raised Catholic but was never really practicing and calls herself "spiritual" now. Growing up, she took me to a couple different churches occasionally when she got hit with a bout of guilt, but it never stuck. My dad has some odd/extreme beliefs that I won't get into for fear of a UAV - suffice it to say that his incessant proselytizing growing up is probably the biggest reason for me being atheist now. I remember, as a kid, thinking "you've got to be kidding me" when he would tell me things - one of the worst was that my best friend at one point was Muslim and he told me that since she wasn't Christian she was going to hell. I thought that was ludicrous and offensive and really rude of him to say to me, so that pretty much sealed the deal.

Now I'm married to my DH, whose mother is some kind of Christian, but she's not really "religious", and whose father is Jewish. His dad's family varies a lot - some keep kosher, some only set foot in a synagogue for a bar mitzvah. DH himself is non-religious - he decided pretty young that (organized) religion was responsible for too much violence, etc. and didn't want any part of it. When I've asked him about his current beliefs though, he's kind of wishy-washy. I would peg him as an agnostic who leans toward believing there's something god-like out there. I can't get a straight answer out of him though. :

Now we're about to have our first baby so this stuff has been on my mind more (that and it's the holidays). My biggest annoyance is that people can be so presumptuous. We have a Jewish last name and live in an area with a lot of Jews, so people just assume we're Jewish. We do celebrate Hanukkah (and Passover, etc.) with DH's family, but only because it's a family event. We also celebrate Christmas, but more as an American cultural holiday (read: consumerist ) - we do the tree and the presents and such but that's it.

I know we have lots of time before we'll need to address these issues with our baby, but it's great to hear how other people deal with it!

SAHM to DS Jan09, DD Mar11. lactivist.gifintactivist.giffamilybed2.gifhomebirth.jpguc.jpgwinner.jpggd.gifcaffix.gif

#128 of 698 Old 12-10-2008, 06:34 PM

Oh, and can I vent a little here too?
Recently, because of the election and all that "Obama is Muslim" nonsense, I've been dealing with some, ahem, ill-informed family members who believe the chain emails they get. Well, it's turned into a preaching opportunity for one particular family member. I was talking to my mother about it and said I wished I could just tell him "yo, I'm atheist, stop sending me bible quote forwards" and she said I shouldn't say that. Same thing with regards to a certain newborn practice common among Jews, and dealing with ILs who will expect it to be done, if our baby is a boy.

I really get annoyed that I'm expected to keep my mouth shut about my beliefs (or non-beliefs) but I have to sit back and listen to everyone else spouting off about theirs. Why is it so wrong for me to be just as forthcoming/open/honest with family about what I believe as they are with me? I would never tell them they were wrong or shouldn't have their beliefs, but I just don't understand what's so bad about saying "I'm not Christian, I'm not Jewish, I don't believe in God." Why am I bad person if I say that? Total double-standard. :

/end rant

SAHM to DS Jan09, DD Mar11. lactivist.gifintactivist.giffamilybed2.gifhomebirth.jpguc.jpgwinner.jpggd.gifcaffix.gif

#129 of 698 Old 12-10-2008, 08:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rachel616 View Post
I just don't understand what's so bad about saying "I'm not Christian, I'm not Jewish, I don't believe in God." Why am I bad person if I say that? Total double-standard. :

/end rant
I totally agree! Even on Fox and Friends this morning (you know, the fair and balanced network) when discussing the Atheist sign in the Washington State building, the gal said, "Why do Christians have to suffer?

What??? How is having a little atheist representation side-by-side a nativity scene in a STATE BUILDING causing suffering? If it IS causing suffering, then wouldn't a Christian display without the corresponding Atheist display cause equal suffering to Atheists?

She went on to say, "next thing you know, they will want to put a Wicca display up". I sure hope the WA state Wicca jump on that.

Anyway, back to family...you should not have to make any apologies for your beliefs and if you prefer not to get into it with family, you could use the line, "you know what they say, never discuss politics or religion" as a way out.

Re: circumcision, go over to The Case Against Circumcision threads and you will find many, many supportive parents of varying faiths that can give you tips on dealing with family members who feel it is a religious or cultural necessity.

We found the Winter Solstice cards at zazzle dot com. I wish I could be a fly on the wall when my ultra-religious aunt opens hers and accuses my DH of brainwashing me.
#130 of 698 Old 12-12-2008, 03:29 AM

Just found this tribe, so figured I'd join in! Let's see how long I can make my intro!!!

I live in a rural town that is very Christian. (Kinda close to you HatterasGal, I think). I was raised Lutheran. My parents are semi-religious, but once I was old enough to know what the word "hypocrite" meant, I knew it applied to my parents! They go to church for appearances sake. Before that, I had a year or so where I actually "believed" but it didn't last long. I fought tooth & nail to keep from being sent to Sunday School, but still ended up getting confirmed in the Lutheran church. I started referring to myself as an agnostic in high school.

Then came college. I fell in love with a Catholic boy and ended up joining the Catholic church after we became engaged. Again, I believed for a while, but it didn't last. After we broke up, I had a pagan phase, but that only lasted for about a year.

So now I am back to the whole agnostic thing. My husband was a Christian who turned agnostic. Now he is exploring the whole pagan thing, which has made things a bit weird around our house. We are still celebrating Xmas, but like others here, its just a tradition...we don't discuss Jesus at all, only Santa! My husband is also arranging for a Yule celebration, and we are currently debating whether to have our children involved in the Yule ritual. I myself don't want to take part as I only interested in the history part of paganism, not the actual practice of it. I am just hoping all this doesn't confuse the kids too much.

So that's my story!
#131 of 698 Old 12-12-2008, 01:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by expat-mama View Post
I also find it hard to fit in with religious people for the same reason. I'm perfectly capable of holding my tongue when I hear others talk about things that I think are absurd or whatever, but I find many people who are religious feel OBLIGATED and highly justified to try to impose whatever beliefs they have on me. This makes me very angry. Why is it ok for religious people to knock on my door or hand me flyers about something I don't believe in and concepts that I find disturbing (hell, punishment, sin, "evil", etc.) but I'm not allowed to do the same? Can you imagine handing out pamphlets about atheism? Knocking on doors to spread that news that "There is no God and it's okay"? I think one might expect to get hurt... :

ITA! I just had a conversation with a Christian friend the other day about this. My MIL used to openly pray for me to "accept Christ as my savior" and I told her how it offended me and asked her to stop. To get my point across I asked her how she would like it if I would "pray that she loses her faith" and she was appalled that I would even think a thing like that.

Umm... yeah, me too.

Then my friend went on and on about how she wouldn't be a "good christian" if she didn't want me to become a christian. Of course, since she thinks she's right, she wants EVERYONE to be christian.

OK. I don't think I'm RIGHT and everyone else is wrong. To be honest, I don't really care how everyone else thinks unless it is directly affecting me.. like if they're praying for me or trying to impose their morals on me.

Anyway.. they would not be tolerant at all of Athiest or Agnostic views.

And with that, HI! I'm new to this tribe. I lurk once in a while, but don't usually post.
#132 of 698 Old 12-13-2008, 01:41 AM

Hi! I'm really excited to find this thread because I was beginning to think that there weren't any atheists/agnostics on MDC

I'm an extremely lapsed Catholic and an atheist. (I was thrown out of Catholic school.) My husband is some kind of vague deist/agnostic and extremely irreligious, but his family are all (very) practicing Methodists. Our daughter is 14 months old.

Does anyone have any experience with MOPS? At the hospital xmas party tonight the wife of another doctor strongly encouraged us to attend. I looked up the organization online because her description of the meetings didn't sound very AP-oriented (kids in one room with volunteer babysitters, moms in another) and it appears to be extremely Christian, but the woman who invited me didn't mention religion at all except to say that they met in a church. (That wasn't a red flag for me since a lot of LLL meetings are held in church buildings.)

Are some MOPS groups more secular than others or are they all pretty Jesus-centric? If it's just a mainstream mom's group I'd consider trying it because we're new in town and I'm a SAHM, but I'd rather avoid it if prayer or discussions of faith are going to be involved. (I'm also new to MDC, so if there is a forum where this question wouldn't be off-topic...)

daughter #1 10/13/07
daughter #2 10/08/10
#133 of 698 Old 12-14-2008, 10:18 PM

Not sure about MOPS. Found this when I looked on their website
http://www.mops.org/page.php?pageid=...inklist&src=78
I found a mom's group on meetup.com for my area. Their are a lot of different parenting styles, but I happened to make friends with one of the other atheists in the group. It was certainly nice to find a real life person (besides my dh) with similar religious views.

On another note- Can anyone recommend a book geared towards a kindergartener that explores multiple religions in an open way? I worry about what my older son picks up at school and am thinking it might be good to introduce the idea of religion to him in a general sort of way. I totally cringe when he recites the pledge of allegiance. My preschooler does, too, but instead of "under god", he say underdog! I don't correct him. Neither has asked me who or what god is, but I imagine it's coming soon.

Marie-Mom to two boys and a girl.
#134 of 698 Old 12-16-2008, 01:43 AM

A friend of mine in the seattle area was in a mops group... and she was in an active christian church... I don't know if there was a connection. There was one started in my community very recently. I tend to think it is NOT affiliated with religious groups, however, sometimes that's how the word spreads/who joins... I was interested in seeing what they are like.

As for books, check out this one... I haven't read it, but it might be what you're looking for:
http://www.ubah.com/ecommerce/detail...rch%3Dreligion
#135 of 698 Old 12-16-2008, 12:03 PM

I have been to a few MOPS groups and they were religious. They open and close with prayer, and have a "steering team" to pray for anyone who needs praying for.

From what I've heard, some are more religious than others. I only went a few times because I wasn't comfortable with them telling Bible stories to the kids while they did little Moses coloring pages. Others are not like that, though. I think you'd have to just try it out and see.
#136 of 698 Old 12-17-2008, 03:31 AM

Quote:

On another note- Can anyone recommend a book geared towards a kindergartener that explores multiple religions in an open way?
I guess I'm not really addressing specifically what you're looking for but this book , called Parenting Beyond Belief, and the "guidebook" by the same authors looks really promising and might have some ideas about how to talk to kids about these subjects. I plan on ordering them for my nursing library, so I can get some ideas years before my babe even thinks about asking me any questions!

Me dreads.gif 32, loving him fuzmalesling.gif33, more each day. Rad boy, jog.gif 7/12/10 & Cool gal baby.gif  4/28/13

I'm a biracial, atheist, humanist, pacifist, anarchist, bibliophile, and educator. Rainbow.gifgd.gifwinner.jpgnocirc.gif

#137 of 698 Old 12-23-2008, 02:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by expat-mama View Post
I guess I'm not really addressing specifically what you're looking for but this book , called Parenting Beyond Belief, and the "guidebook" by the same authors looks really promising and might have some ideas about how to talk to kids about these subjects. I plan on ordering them for my nursing library, so I can get some ideas years before my babe even thinks about asking me any questions!
Thank you! : These look like books I need.

Anne, Mama to Conner 2/27/04 blahblah.gif  Gabrielle 2/6/06 W/LMC-TCS, Neurogenic Bladder, AFO & KAFO wearer, Neurogenic Bowel energy.gif & Delaney 5/12/08 mischievous.gif &  Beethoven cat.gif& Gizmo cat.gif

#138 of 698 Old 12-23-2008, 07:53 PM

My kids are 5 and 2, and half my family are religious, so we do go to Christmas activities. We have taught them that we are not Christians, and that Christianity is there kind of make believe that they do, people have lots of kinds of these. God hasn't entered the picture yet, since my family is aware that if they get too Jesusy we will just not let them be around the kids. We call it winter celebration time and talk about all of the different celebrations around the world at this time and throughout history.
#139 of 698 Old 12-29-2008, 01:06 AM

Some statistics about atheists I found pretty interesting.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T27kB4BjbEg

I like to think that these statistics support my belief that an atheist world would be a more peaceful and enlightened place for all to exist. It also seems that more people are becoming atheists- I thought it was rather the opposite, but the European statistics are especially promising.

I would like to see the statistics about religious moderates who have turned fundamentalist, though- unfortunately, I think that number is rising all over the world. It seems to me that although (according to these stats) the number of atheists is on the rise, among theists, the number of moderates is decreasing and the number of fundamentalists/extremists is increasing.

#140 of 698 Old 12-30-2008, 04:26 PM

Hi all, I'm so happy that I found this thread. Expat-mama, I love the Youtube video. I concur with the correlation between level of education and atheism. My husband and I are both Ph.D.-level scientists and I get so frustrated with the attacks on science and scientific education by the religious right.

I am an athesist book junky. I love to read Sam Harris and Richard Dawkins is my hero. Also, I recently read the book Freethinkers: a History of American Secularism and I highly recommend it.

rachel616, I had a very similar experience in the time leading up to the election. I was constantly bombarded with racist pro-religion anti-muslim emails from family members. I finally had too much and fired back with a link to snopes in an effort to clear up the misinformation, but I doubt it had any real impact.

My husband and I are going to raise our son to be a freethinker. We live in the Research Triangle of North Carolina, so we are in an intellectual oasis in the middle of the bible belt. I grew up in rural southeast Georgia and I dealt first-hand with religious discrimination since my father was an agnostic and I did not attend church. Hopefully my son will not have the same type of experience.

Kelly, wife to my wonderful DH , and mom to DS1 born 1/20/2008 and DS2 born 7/14/2010 by VBAC.
#141 of 698 Old 01-08-2009, 10:03 PM

Hi!

New to this thread... and happy to see some other like minded mamas. Hope every one is well!
#142 of 698 Old 01-09-2009, 01:21 AM

Welcome, Ryatt and boatrat!
#143 of 698 Old 01-10-2009, 01:23 AM

Ooh, can I join?

Just watched Religulous (the Bill Maher movie) today. Has anyone seen it? They've got it up for free at Atheist Nation right now. I have a hard time watching Bill Maher (he's just so rude to people, and I find myself turning away from the tv - or computer - in embarrassment... well, that, and he seems to think that all homeschoolers are religious extremists), but I still had a lot of fun watching.

I've also just discovered the huge Atheist community on Reddit. That's a good way to kill a few (or several) hours.

Come visit us on Tangled Hill! One small family in a big, big world.
Peace through homemaking.
#144 of 698 Old 01-12-2009, 10:27 PM

Thanks Tangly!!

DH & I watched it the other night, courtesy of you. Bill IS rather cynical. But I think he says a lot of things many of us are thinking already (albeit, rudely) and he does a good job of encouraging other skeptics to come out of the closet. Its another case of choosing powerful over ethical.

And two thumbs up to the whole Documentary Feature Film jag!
#145 of 698 Old 01-13-2009, 05:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatrat View Post
Hi all, I'm so happy that I found this thread. Expat-mama, I love the Youtube video. I concur with the correlation between level of education and atheism. My husband and I are both Ph.D.-level scientists and I get so frustrated with the attacks on science and scientific education by the religious right.

I am an athesist book junky. I love to read Sam Harris and Richard Dawkins is my hero. Also, I recently read the book Freethinkers: a History of American Secularism and I highly recommend it.

My husband and I are going to raise our son to be a freethinker. We live in the Research Triangle of North Carolina, so we are in an intellectual oasis in the middle of the bible belt. I grew up in rural southeast Georgia and I dealt first-hand with religious discrimination since my father was an agnostic and I did not attend church. Hopefully my son will not have the same type of experience.

Can we be friends? We (me, my husband, baby girl and hopefully another babe by then) are looking to move to the Triangle by April-May of 2010. We live in South Louisiana now, and oooo, boy, are we in the minority.

I'm in the process of reading Freethinkers now. We have a bunch of Dawkins also, but some of the science is a bit much for me in the toddler-raising state.

:P
#146 of 698 Old 01-15-2009, 11:43 AM

Hi All,

I'm currently in Charleston, South Carolina and now understand "The Bible Belt"; I think South Carolina is close to the buckle! I grew up in the Pacific Northwest and religion was such a non-issue even to people who believed in god that I never really thought about how religion for some is such an important daily part of life. I had never been told to "have a blessed day" until I moved here and now I am probably offered that 2-5 times per week. I definitely feel like a true outsider in regards to religion here in the south especially since I am fairly anti-religion to boot and have no interest in letting my 6 year old explore Christianity and tend to be quite pragmatic about religion/spirituality/life/death etc.

Anyway nice to find this thread. I look forward to reading some of the suggestions in the previous threads. The last book I read of this topic was God is not Great and really enjoyed most of it.
#147 of 698 Old 01-16-2009, 08:09 AM

Just saying hi. I guess the closest label for me is agnostic. The only thing that I seem to really believe in is reincarnation. Every so often I think there's something more...the universe, God, whatever you want to call it. Most of the time I think it's just a way to not take responsibility for yourself & your life.

Family went to church when I was a kid, extremely liberal by the standards of most U.S. churches, though, I think....United Church of Canada. Despite the fact I was the only girl in my Brownie troop to get 2 levels of the Religion in Life badge (or maybe because of it?) I was never a believer. As I got older, it annoyed me more & more. So much, that despite my love of singing, I would stop singing phrases I didn't believe & eventually whole songs. I remember being 9 or 10 & having my mom mad at me because I wasn't singing.

I think the final straw for me was one day in Sunday school. We were asked what 3 things we would save if our house were on fire. I picked my pets & the teacher basically told me I was an idiot, I was supposed to be picking things & animals didn't count. Looking back, I don't think she was trying to say things were more important than my pets (although who knows), but that's the way I took it as a kid and it completely shredded any chance of me ever being a Christian.

DS1 seems to be an atheist. Not entirely sure how that happened. He's learned not tell Grandma she's full of it when she talks about God, though. He even sat through her reading a book about the Christian Christmas story. Then we had a little chat about it after.

H is...confused. Worse than I am, he doesn't appear to have anything he believes in but hasn't really ruled anything out, either.

mom to all boys B: 08/01ribboncesarean.gif,  C: 07/05 uc.jpg, N: 03/09 uc.jpg, M: 01/12 uc.jpg and far too many lost onesintactlact.gifsaynovax.gif

#148 of 698 Old 01-17-2009, 02:26 AM

Another new one here...

I've never called myself anything but an atheist. There was no religion in my upbringing, really, other than weddings in churches (not mine!) and cousins being baptized. But my immediate family never went to church or talked about religion much. When I was in high school I had pretty clear ideas about how I viewed the world, so I started reading about religion to see if there was anything out there that I fit into. I didn't really find anything. I was (and still am) drawn to certain aspects of Buddhism, but not enough for that to be what I call myself.

I consider myself an atheist for the simple fact that I don't believe any divine being exists. I am a science teacher and I find great comfort in the natural order of things. One challenge I'm running into this year is teaching about the universe and the geologic time scale to a few middle school students who are very religious. It's actually gone much more smoothly than I expected, and religion shouldn't even come up in class anyway, but sometimes there is still that tension.

I live in a very open minded community, so there are no issues at all with varying views of the world in my personal life. Many of my friends have turned away from the religion they were raised with.

I just realized I should have gone to bed long ago. So I'll probably be checking in with this tribe to see what you all talk about here.
#149 of 698 Old 01-20-2009, 02:22 PM

Anyone watching Obama's speech? "We are a nation of christians and muslims, jews and hindus... and nonbelievers"

I seriously started crying. I'm so glad that he acknowledged that not everyone believes. I never expected that.

Mightymoo - Mom to DD (6) and DS (4)
#150 of 698 Old 01-20-2009, 02:40 PM

I'm watching and did notice the "nonbelievers" - but jeeeez...anyone else offended by the extreme NON-separation of church and state??? That first sermon was unbelievable...

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page