Dis Mamas! - Disney moms unite! - Page 11 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#301 of 819 Old 06-11-2007, 12:01 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SusanInItaly View Post
Just wanted to drop in and say "Hi"! I'm a DIS mama too, I hang on the budget board under a different username.

Nice to "meet" you guys!
I love the budget board!!! I am a frequent poster over there. I finally got over my freebie thread addiction!!
#302 of 819 Old 06-11-2007, 12:03 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolynnMarilynn View Post
For me, I think I will use a ring sling while waiting in line-ups and while eating, and a stroller for longer walks. I can't use a sling the whole day without dating a chiropractor! I wouldn't use a backpack carrier at all, for me, because they take up too much room to carry with me on a ride but I wouldn't feel comfortable leaving it behind, and I find they are better for longer walks rather than in-and-out kinda situations. I have a Baby Trekker and my dp prefers that over anything and are very comfortable for long walks but are fast to put on. It's cotton, too, so ok for hotter weather and has a good pocket in front.
I was thinking I would need the ergo for waiting in longer lines (hoping that I wont have too many of those!) and the rafiki planet area in AK. Noah will be 23 months and is about 32 lbs.
#303 of 819 Old 06-11-2007, 09:16 PM

I just found out about Amy's passing too. It is a shock. YK, ever since I read that she planned to leave for disney at the butt crack of dawn we've been saying that phrase too. I had never heard that phrase used before and it just had me rolling. We are leaving at the butt crack of dawn for disney also so we've been saying it alot. It's hard to believe that she's gone because she put such effort into healing, yk? She had such a sweet and positive attitude. She will be missed. I am glad they have extended family because her son is very ill too. Just thinking about a single papa with two boys and one of them sick...wow. She left on her blog that when she missed one of sweetpeas infusions they almost killed him with the wrong dose. So, it just pains me to think about sweetpea without Amy. Kids need there moms to keep track of those things at the hospital. so sad.
#304 of 819 Old 06-15-2007, 06:07 PM

Has anyone been to the water parks? We are thinking about going in a couple of weeks and can't decide if we should do blizzard beach or typhoon lagoon with our 4 year old.

Thanks!
#305 of 819 Old 06-15-2007, 07:17 PM

we go every time and love both SO much. we alternate on each visit. last year we went to BB so this OCt we'll be back at TL

both have SO much to do. for the littles there's a great tykes area at both.

you may prefer to skip the pool at TL because of the waves but that's up to what your child can handle.

I'm Andrea - I have three boys - 12 year old twins & an 11 year old

#306 of 819 Old 06-15-2007, 08:32 PM

I haven't done TL with kids, we've done BB and my kids LOVED it. My son (3 at the time) hung around the little shallow pool/water spray area while my DD (5 at the time) did all the little water slides by herself. I could see her from where was standing w/him, it worked out great. (normally they want to run in different directions!). We got there at opening so we could a spot w/shade. DH and I took turns going and doing the adults rides.
#307 of 819 Old 06-17-2007, 11:12 PM

As flminivanmama said both have good kiddy areas (and TL pool can be aggressive.)

As a general rule BB is better for younger and more timid kids. The kiddy area has one way in, one out and a number of slides kids can do themselves, or a parent can hold on their lap. There were none at TL that DD did not get splashed in the face at TL so in that way she did not like TL as much.

Also TL has a number of kid places, more spread out. Good but hard to watch a few kids at. Now that my DD is 6 I think she would be fine with TL and next time we go to water park we plan to do that.

One year we did both and BB was the true winter with the 4 and under crowd. After that we did BB for a few years. Also kids get a real kick out of the theming at BB. The Alligator on skies and melting snow men are fun!
#308 of 819 Old 06-27-2007, 03:14 AM

We got one snorkel for four kids to share and two scuba masks so they can practice snorkeling before we go to Discovery cove. Wouldn't want to look like noobs in front of all the fish....
#309 of 819 Old 06-27-2007, 10:13 AM

Good morning Disney moms.

I just finished our WDW plans yesterday. We're going during the free dining. We have never been in Sept. We might start a new tradition. We home school so we can go whenever we like and we thought the first week of Sept. wouldn't be so bad since most kids go back to school that week.

I made all of our ADR's at restaurants that we have never been to. We're going to try a couple of new CS restaurants, but I have to really look and see what they offer for kids. I just remember not being very happy with the selections last October. I'm also going to do the Garden Tea with my youngest. It's something I enjoy doing every trip. This year I decided to have my youngest go with me since the other three in the family will be playing golf.

We're going to try the water parks this year. We are going to try one in the morning and one in the afternoon. Any suggestions on what park we should do for morning/afternoon? What about eating there? It seems like the reviews I read weren't very good. Should we eat before or after we go to the WP?
#310 of 819 Old 06-27-2007, 10:26 AM

the year dh and I went after we got engaged (so he wasn't yet my dh lol lol) we went the day after labor day and the parks were EMPTY

Both water parks are great - I think either combo will be fine. how old are your kids?

you can look at all the menus on allearsnet.com - I print them out even LOL
here are the water park menus http://www.allearsnet.com/menu/menus.htm#bliz

you can pack your own lunch & bring it in.... you could go to earl of sandwich at downtown disney - that's always good - and bring lunch from there.

#311 of 819 Old 06-27-2007, 06:12 PM

Can anyone please tell me what/when/if there is something happening at DL or CA for the premiere/opening of High School Musical 2 on August 17th? I have been searching all over but can't seem to find any information....

Thanks in advance!!
#312 of 819 Old 06-27-2007, 06:17 PM

do you post at the other board? they have a DL forum....

#313 of 819 Old 06-27-2007, 10:13 PM

I already looked at mouseplanet, where I do post occassionally. allears seemed to be WDW not DL - as far as I could tell. Which sites would you recommend? Thank you.
#314 of 819 Old 06-28-2007, 12:24 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirsten View Post
I already looked at mouseplanet, where I do post occassionally. allears seemed to be WDW not DL - as far as I could tell. Which sites would you recommend? Thank you.
PM'd ya!
#315 of 819 Old 06-28-2007, 03:24 AM

LOL, I just love the crazy community board...

But anyway, anyone DVC owners? I don't know if I'm allowed to profess my love here for Disney or not, LOL. It's our "happy place", lol!! Just walking thru the tunnel under the train and coming out and see the castle towering in front of you. I feel like a kid again!
#316 of 819 Old 06-28-2007, 03:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirsten View Post
Can anyone please tell me what/when/if there is something happening at DL or CA for the premiere/opening of High School Musical 2 on August 17th? I have been searching all over but can't seem to find any information....

Thanks in advance!!
I haven't heard of anything. They do have a HSM parade at DCA though.
#317 of 819 Old 06-28-2007, 08:41 AM

Quote:
It's our "happy place", lol!! Just walking thru the tunnel under the train and coming out and see the castle towering in front of you. I feel like a kid again!
ours too!

#318 of 819 Old 06-28-2007, 10:11 AM

Quote:
LOL, I just love the crazy community board...

But anyway, anyone DVC owners? I don't know if I'm allowed to profess my love here for Disney or not, LOL. It's our "happy place", lol!! Just walking thru the tunnel under the train and coming out and see the castle towering in front of you. I feel like a kid again!
We are DVC members and love it. We have 170 points at VWL. We wish it was BCV and a bit more points (like 220). We just make it work with what we got. We do a lot of studio trips, and have been going a few trips a year. I fear we are not going to be able to do this as much since DD is in 1st grade next year (and twice a year to take off work is a lot.) : We have to go when DH has a break from teaching college. I don't like WDW in summer, too rainy.

Yep it is our happy place too.
#319 of 819 Old 06-28-2007, 01:05 PM

Haven't had time to read the whole thread but I wanted to post in case someone is logged on and can give me some tips! I have to decide in ONE HOUR whether to take ds to WDW in October. He'll be just shy of 2 and I'll be 6 months pregnant. Dh is going there for a business trip so our stay would be free (in a Disney Resort) and the only cost is a $200 plane ticket for me, plus any food and activities for me and ds. Work will be covering all dh's expenses.

I can't decide!!! Dh will be in conferences a lot of the time so it will be just my pregnant self and ds but I have never been to Disney World and have always wanted to go. But will it be worth it? Ds is so young and I'd have to navigate the activities alone for the most part. Will they even let me take him on any rides since I'll be pregnant?

Off to read the thread...

mommy to ds 11/05, dd1 01/08, and dd2 01/10!
#320 of 819 Old 06-28-2007, 03:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StrawberryFields View Post
Haven't had time to read the whole thread but I wanted to post in case someone is logged on and can give me some tips! I have to decide in ONE HOUR whether to take ds to WDW in October. He'll be just shy of 2 and I'll be 6 months pregnant. Dh is going there for a business trip so our stay would be free (in a Disney Resort) and the only cost is a $200 plane ticket for me, plus any food and activities for me and ds. Work will be covering all dh's expenses.

I can't decide!!! Dh will be in conferences a lot of the time so it will be just my pregnant self and ds but I have never been to Disney World and have always wanted to go. But will it be worth it? Ds is so young and I'd have to navigate the activities alone for the most part. Will they even let me take him on any rides since I'll be pregnant?

Off to read the thread...
I hope you said yes!

There is a lot you can do pregnant and with a 2 year old. If you don't mind doing stuff alone and feel you can handel it pregnant, go for it.

The busses might be a bit difficult with a stroller and a almost 2 year old pregant and alone. Still I would more then guess that people would help you out (I know I would, and most people are very friendly and helpful.) I don't recomend staying until closing because of the bus situation, other then that you should be fine. Even then you could be fine if you did it right (then again Dh could be there at night right?)

Just take it easy and don't even try to do it all (or even most) and you will be fine.
#321 of 819 Old 06-28-2007, 03:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs.PhD View Post
I hope you said yes!

There is a lot you can do pregnant and with a 2 year old. If you don't mind doing stuff alone and feel you can handel it pregnant, go for it.

The busses might be a bit difficult with a stroller and a almost 2 year old pregant and alone. Still I would more then guess that people would help you out (I know I would, and most people are very friendly and helpful.) I don't recomend staying until closing because of the bus situation, other then that you should be fine. Even then you could be fine if you did it right (then again Dh could be there at night right?)

Just take it easy and don't even try to do it all (or even most) and you will be fine.
Thanks for the advice! I decided to go for it and I'm so excited! We are staying at the Coronado Springs resort. Since I have never been to Disney I was a little worried about spending the money and getting there and finding out that it would be a HUGE hassle to do anything and that we'd have to rent a car or ds would be too little for any of the activities and we'd be stuck in the hotel going stir-crazy.

I was able to spend a little time reading more about the area and found out that there is plenty of transportation so no need to rent a car (thank goodness!) and it seems like we will find plenty of things to do. And with a toddler it's not like we are going to want a jam-packed activity schedule anyway because he does need some nap time and down time.

Dh should be there at nights some of the time although some nights he may be out at networking shindigs. But he may end up with free time during the day too if he doesn't see any classes he likes at that particular time. So we'll see! I am going to spend as much time as I can now reading up on all the things that we can do!

Any recommendations on how many days we may want passes to get into the Magic Kingdom or any of the other parks? We will arrive early on Monday and leave early Saturday. Someone recommended Sea World to me and said their child much preferred Sea World to the MK at that age (2). I am hoping the conference offers discount tickets to some of the parks.

Oh, and ds is a little guy, only 20 lbs so I was thinking that for the busses I could maybe put him on my back in a mei tai and carry the stroller??

mommy to ds 11/05, dd1 01/08, and dd2 01/10!
#322 of 819 Old 06-28-2007, 04:31 PM

I'm glad you decided to go! You won't regret it!! Just do things at your own pace, and don't worry about what to see or whatever.

I've stayed at Coronado Springs twice, they have an awesome pool (called the Dig site) and I'd stay around that area personally. Not that far a walk to the food court or to bus stops. Coronado Springs is HUGE, that's it's only downfall. At the Dig site there is a baby pool, big pool (with wide stairs so he could play in that area) a playground and a pool bar. (virgin daquiri's LOL) The foodcourt at Coronado is pretty neat, it's set up like a market with different types of food all in one area. You sit down and have a "server" who basically just brings you drinks and clears your table.

I have personally found people to be very helpful overall. The days when you go to the park, I'd pack everything in one bag, because you will have to fold the stroller to get on the bus, but I bet someone will help if you need it. I've gone by myself a few times w/the kids when they were real little and 9 times out of 10 someone willingly helped me.

Take a bus to Downtown Disney one day, they have a huge Lego store, a HUGE Mickey store (the World of Disney) and the Rainforest Cafe, which my kids love/hate, LOL. (it "thunderstorms" in there, my son doesn't like it but my DD LOVES it.) We usually make a 1/2 day, get some popcorn or a sandwich at Earl of Sandwich (my fav!) and then head back to the hotel to nap and play in the pool.

Have fun!
#323 of 819 Old 06-28-2007, 04:32 PM

Oh and we "own" at SSR. LOVE IT!
#324 of 819 Old 06-28-2007, 04:34 PM

Oh goodness. I just can't even deal. There are so many ticketing options etc and I am having a hard time deciding on a what to do. And whether or not we can even afford a trip. It would be me, my mother and my dd. I would leave DP and DS behind and go down to Florida for around 5 days.

We could:
Buy room only + tickets + meals
Go in late Sept and get a discount on tickets
Go in early october and get a "value rate"
Get a package for both of the above

It seems so difficult to compare apples to apples. I worked with a travel agent on our last trip and she was great. I subsequently had her quote two trips which fell through so I kinda feel bad asking her to do anything unless we are sure we are going to go.
#325 of 819 Old 06-28-2007, 05:38 PM

you're going to LOVE the pool at Coronodo Springs!!

Goodcents - is it too late to get the free dining?? It goes from the end of august to the end of september I think

#326 of 819 Old 06-28-2007, 06:06 PM

Yes FL - too late for free dining. The promo ended on June 24th.
#327 of 819 Old 06-28-2007, 06:26 PM

ohhh that stinks!!

well I'd do whatever's cheapest then LOL LOL

I just got an email for a FL resident rate for ft wilderness cabins for $174!!! :

I'd sooo love to stay in one of those!! but it ends a week before my trip

#328 of 819 Old 06-28-2007, 06:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flminivanmama View Post
ohhh that stinks!!

well I'd do whatever's cheapest then LOL LOL
that is what i want to do! but with the flippin dizzying array of choices it is sooo hard to figure out. it doesn't help that disney won't break down packages by component. what do you think about the travel agent? should i just forget it because i have asked her to quote to unsuccessful trips?
#329 of 819 Old 06-28-2007, 06:52 PM

when I call 1-800-W-DISNEY I almost always get a CM who is willing to go through every possible price option with me.

*if* you and your kid(s?) eat enough then I think purchasing the meal plan is a GREAT deal. It doesn't work for my family since we are all very light eaters. I have a DDE card (fl resident & dvc thing) that gives you 20% off and I find it to be way more cost effective.

now you can only buy that meal plan if you are staying on property and buy at least one ticket per person. and you must buy it for your whole length of stay.

as for tickets AAA was running a deal for 1 plus for each day ticket that you buy (plus is - water park, disney quest, pleasure island) - not sure if they are still running it but this is a good deal because the tickets never expire. we bought 8 days at a fl resident rate and our next two trips now have tickets. (and probably beyond because we have EIGHT plusses)

we usually do a every other day thing while at the world to stretch out our tickets and give us time to relax lol

now what you'd need to do is add all this up and see if it's cheaper than a package.

#330 of 819 Old 06-28-2007, 07:06 PM
AMJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by StrawberryFields View Post
Thanks for the advice! I decided to go for it and I'm so excited! We are staying at the Coronado Springs resort. Since I have never been to Disney I was a little worried about spending the money and getting there and finding out that it would be a HUGE hassle to do anything and that we'd have to rent a car or ds would be too little for any of the activities and we'd be stuck in the hotel going stir-crazy.

I was able to spend a little time reading more about the area and found out that there is plenty of transportation so no need to rent a car (thank goodness!) and it seems like we will find plenty of things to do. And with a toddler it's not like we are going to want a jam-packed activity schedule anyway because he does need some nap time and down time.

Dh should be there at nights some of the time although some nights he may be out at networking shindigs. But he may end up with free time during the day too if he doesn't see any classes he likes at that particular time. So we'll see! I am going to spend as much time as I can now reading up on all the things that we can do!

Any recommendations on how many days we may want passes to get into the Magic Kingdom or any of the other parks? We will arrive early on Monday and leave early Saturday. Someone recommended Sea World to me and said their child much preferred Sea World to the MK at that age (2). I am hoping the conference offers discount tickets to some of the parks.

Oh, and ds is a little guy, only 20 lbs so I was thinking that for the busses I could maybe put him on my back in a mei tai and carry the stroller??

Hi there! I haven't checked out this thread for a while, but I just wanted to let you know that I'm currently pregnant and have taken two trips to WDW during this pregnancy...once at 8-9 weeks and once at 20-21 weeks. The second trip during the second trimester was such a breeze compared to the trip during the first trimester (I was so tired!). There is tons to do pregnant. The only rides that I didn't do with DD was Goofy Barnstormer, the Indy Speedway, and the Safari (I went on this during the first pregnant trip, but not the second). Everything else that she went on, I went on.

I've also traveled to WDW alone with DD last December when she was about 2.5. We had a blast! My DH flew down and met us a little over halfway through the trip. My DH is a pretty agreeable, go with the flow kind of guy, so he is a great person to travel with, but it was really nice just having to think about DD and I on the days we were alone. One less opinion to account for!

We stayed at Coronado Springs when we visited in Feb/March (the 8-9 week pregnant trip). It's a very quiet and peaceful resort. The bus service was great! We had buses to ourselves several times, and even at park closing, we always had a seat. The bus stops at the parks seemed to all be very close to the entrances as well. Coronado is a big resort. I did some research before we left and requested a room in Cabanas 9B because it was close to the main building, one of the bus stops, and reasonably close to the pool. We were pretty happy with the location. Certain areas of the resort are quite a hike to the main building.

The one thing to keep in mind with tickets is that it is really expensive for the first 3 or 4 days (like $70 per day), but then it's only a couple of bucks to add on additional days. I'll PM you a website with the ticket prices so you can see for yourself. You can also upgrade your tickets with 14 days of first use, so if you think you're only going to go to the parks for 4 days but then decide to go for 5, you can just upgrade.

If you are trying to keep costs down and don't want to rent a car, I would skip Sea World. I've heard a lot of people rave about it too, but there is so much to do at WDW alone. MK is definitely DD's favorite, but we end up spending a lot of time at Animal Kingdom as well. Of course, there is great stuff at MGM and Epcot too, but MK and AK are probably our top two with the toddler.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page