Dis Mamas! - Disney moms unite! - Page 27 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 08-21-2009, 05:02 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by flminivanmama View Post
the legendary years... it's just a shell of a few buildings unfortunately not to rain on the rah rah disney parade but that was definitely one place they messed up IMO a little less dvc - a little more value - especially if it could fit larger families, maybe suites.... sigh.

you can see them if you walk past the pool on the path...

http://jimhillmedia.com/blogs/jeff_l...4/11/1785.aspx
http://jimhillmedia.com/blogs/jeff_l...4/13/1813.aspx

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bSc1fG0ETeY

there are a lot of rumors as to why they stopped building but I am not holding my breath that they'll ever start again

ETA - the buildings have been there for 8 years

ps - you mean life *isn't* all TV and Disney??
Thanks for the info. Interesting...they should finish it. Or at least after 8 years decide to do something else with it. Geez.

Beth- WOHM slinggirl.gif  -Madly in love with my Wife- SAHMhola.gifandbabyf.gifSophia, born 11/2/10, at home! homebirth.jpgExpressing love, one ounce at a time!  1pump.gif

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-22-2009, 10:06 PM

..and it helps that i live so close by!!!!
Old 09-22-2009, 11:19 PM

I'm going to the food & wine festival this weekend!!

I'm Andrea - I have three boys - 12 year old twins & an 11 year old

Old 09-23-2009, 03:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monarchgrrl View Post
Hi All! I posted a long time ago. DW and I went on an all-out honeymoon last September. Deluxe everything. FABULOUS!

Apparently DW can't go more than a year between trips so we're heading back this December. But we're doing it on a budget. Staying at Pop Century for 6 days, 5 nights, only counter service dining plan. Only two Park Hoppers (two parks each day). We're going to spend one of the days at Sea World. Should be fun! Can't wait!!! She got it all for a steal. Everything with airfare from CA for $800. She always finds a way to buy Park Hopper tickets on Ebay and then re-sell them for more than she paid, so our Park Hoppers end up being like $50 each.

It'll be interesting because this will be my third time. The first time we did it all on the moderate level. Port Orleans, regular dining plan. Second time was the deluxe version and now this time will be the budget version. It will be interesting to compare them all and see what is really worth it and what can be scrimped on.

Also, the Disney family is opening a Walt Disney Museum here in San Francisco next month. DW scored free tickets on the premiere weekend, before it opens to the public. The tickets for that weekend run $500 each! CRAZY! Not sure why they are so expensive, but we're going and I can't wait!!!!
Monarchgrrl--- How was your budget trip? We stayed at the Boardwalk for a trip in March only because I randomly got a 40% off e-mail, and now I don't know how we'll be able to stay less than deluxe!

Mama to my sweet girl born at home 6/09
Old 09-23-2009, 03:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flminivanmama View Post
I'm going to the food & wine festival this weekend!!
I am so jealous! (But happy for you!)

Old 09-28-2009, 10:12 AM

I'm baaaack - I had an incredible but short time....

Old 09-30-2009, 05:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mama Khi View Post
Monarchgrrl--- How was your budget trip? We stayed at the Boardwalk for a trip in March only because I randomly got a 40% off e-mail, and now I don't know how we'll be able to stay less than deluxe!
Our budget trip isn't until December. I'll let you know... Like you said, it'll be interesting to do it on a budget.

This weekend was the opening of the Disney Family Museum in San Francisco. We went and it was AWESOME!!!!!!!!! If anyone is ever up this way, you should put it on the to-do list. The gallery, poster room and gift shop is all open to the public for free all the time. The poster room had framed original posters of the old movies and some from other countries. Very interesting. The gallery had ALL of Walt's Academy Awards displayed. That was so cool to see! They also had furniture from his Disneyland apartment, tons of awards he was given, etc. The gift shop was amazing!!! There was so much stuff that you can't get anywhere else!

Then the actual museum (which costs) was freakin' unbelievable!!! I can't even describe it. We spent 3 hours inside and didn't even see all the details. We could literally spend 10 hours and be perfectly happy! There were 10 galleries that each focus on a time frame in his life. Like The Early Years, Hollywood, Mickey- The Beginning, etc. They had vintage Mickey's everywhere. They had awesome videos playing w/ neat graphics. They had original pencil drawings of all the movies and characters. They had original letters he wrote to his wife and brother. They had a huge miniature model of Disneyland that moved and lit up. Basically, you walk through his entire life. And then, not sure why I wasn't expecting it, the last room is all about his death. There are pictures of Mickey crying. I lost it. Bawled my head off! The museum is so well-done and beautiful! (the coolest part was that one of the Disney family members was behind me in line and was describing all the details to some important guy. I stayed close and heard all her personal stories about the memorabilia! It was awesome. She didn't even know! hehe)

I can't wait to go back!!!

Beth- WOHM slinggirl.gif  -Madly in love with my Wife- SAHMhola.gifandbabyf.gifSophia, born 11/2/10, at home! homebirth.jpgExpressing love, one ounce at a time!  1pump.gif

Old 09-30-2009, 07:50 PM

that sounds like something I'd really like

Old 12-04-2009, 03:39 PM

Bumping up this thread. We leave for DW tomorrow! Lots to do. I haven't even started packing yet. Ugh. And I have a head cold, so flying across the country won't be fun. But as DW says, "Germs aren't allowed at the World", so I assume I'll be just peachy fine once we're there.

Old 12-04-2009, 10:28 PM

feel better & have a great great time!!!

is this you tonight? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b95oyhSd5ls

Old 12-20-2009, 10:21 PM

I'm planning my first trip since I was 5. Epcot didn't even exist then so I know it's going to be amazingly different than I remember. We stayed in the treehouses and my greatest memory is the spiral staircase in it, and the peacocks running around!
We're thinking of staying at the Polynesian, with the deluxe dining plan, because basically we're foodies and want to spend a lot of time at a nice destination resort and can't imagine the appeal of spending 12 hours a day or more running around amusement parks. Perhaps I'll be pleasantly surprised?
Old 12-20-2009, 10:52 PM

we're moving TEN MINUTES AWAY from disney world next week. i can't wait to get me some season passes!

"The most important work you and I will ever do will be within the walls of our own homes." -Harold B. Lee
Old 12-20-2009, 10:57 PM

I'm getting a DL annual pass for Christmas! I had one in 2008 and last went in October 2008, and boy have I missed it! DS and I used to go every couple of weeks. I can't wait to take Peepers for the first time in January!

A, jammin.gif mama to a boy (2005) and a girl (2009)
Old 12-22-2009, 08:01 PM

Just wanted to update everyone on our trip.

Andrea, I love the commercial! That was totally us!

So, I said before that this was my third trip (ever and third in the last 3 years). The first time was a moderate trip, staying at Port Orleans Riverside with the moderate dining plan. The second trip was our honeymoon so we did it deluxe style. Animal Kingdom Lodge and the deluxe dining plan. This time we did the value trip. We stayed at Pop Century (we got the 80's building like we wanted!) and we did the counter service dining plan. I gotta say, from now on we'll only be doing the moderate trips, even in the future when we have kids along. Pop Century was a decent hotel. I loved the 80's sculptures and all. And the food was definitely enough. But I think we're just "moderate" people. I think we're planning on staying at the Coronado next time. We're going to be waiting a few years for our next trip, though.

Old 12-24-2009, 01:27 AM

I think I fit right in here! We live in Orlando and my mom (or "yaya" as my kids call her) works at Disney World. Needless to say, we LOVE Disney and can't get enough of it, ever! We were just there yesterday in fact! LOOOOOOVE it! =)
Old 01-04-2010, 06:56 PM

New here, LOVE Disney! Just did our 2nd trip to WDW 12/18 - 12/24. We had a great time and it was decorated so nice! We stayed at a Best Western about 1 mile from Downtown Disney, I don't think we will go again this time of year though, it was VERY crowded! We went Halloween 2007 and that was great! Not nearly as crowded and Halloween was so fun in Magic Kingdom! I think we may try a Disney Cruise sometime in the future, anyone go on one before?

Happily married to my hero and SAHMama to 4 precious gifts from God
Old 01-04-2010, 07:02 PM

OMGosh I just saw this thread and I'm joining We love Disney. DH is in school right now for 3D animation with Pixar in mind for his internship - well hoping anyway We just got annual passes as our holiday gifts and we're already planning our next trip after we just returned last weekend. Looking forward to meeting more Disney mamas!!!

Meredyth partners.gif Travis, Mama to my boys J, L, E & my girl B
Bella Rose is here 07/29/10!
Always missing my angel1.gif
Old 01-04-2010, 07:05 PM

Monarchgrrl - what did you think about doing counter service vs. the dining plan? Did it end up costing a lot more, or less, or about the same?

TIA.

ribboncesarean.gif cesareans happen.
Old 02-20-2010, 09:41 AM

Not to be a downer, but has anyone ever gotten really sick from being at Disney World(all the crowds, germs, etc.)? We went last month w/our four kids (ages 3, 6, 8 & 10) and first the kids caught coxsackie virus (high fever, blisters in mouth & throat), then we all got the flu. It was quite horrible. And I felt like we did everything we could to stay healthy - eating & sleeping well, lots of vitamins, handwashing, hand sanitizer. Any tips for staying healthy in such a crowded place?

Happy mama of four Wild Things
"And now," cried Max "let the wild rumpus begin!"
Old 03-03-2010, 07:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~*max*~ View Post
Not to be a downer, but has anyone ever gotten really sick from being at Disney World(all the crowds, germs, etc.)? We went last month w/our four kids (ages 3, 6, 8 & 10) and first the kids caught coxsackie virus (high fever, blisters in mouth & throat), then we all got the flu. It was quite horrible. And I felt like we did everything we could to stay healthy - eating & sleeping well, lots of vitamins, handwashing, hand sanitizer. Any tips for staying healthy in such a crowded place?
Wow - sorry to be a thread killer. Please disregard the above post & continue on w/the Disney love!

Old 03-03-2010, 08:13 PM

You're not a thread killer. It's been quiet lately.

My DW got really sick last time we went. Just a bad cold, I think. I think it can sometimes be the combination of flying and being in a new place with tons of foreign germs everywhere. I don't have any tips, though. Sorry.

Oh and I just saw Drummer's Wife asked me a question a long time ago. Sorry! We did the dining plan each visit, it's just the counter services were on the plan. Basically it's the cheapest plan. I think it amounts to $20/day/person. It was great! We had plenty of food and had snacks left over to bring home a bunch of mouse krispy treats! Love those!! But now after doing all three dining plans (budget, medium & deluxe) we'll be sticking with the medium one from now on. We like being able to reserve some table services (we LOVE Disney restaurants!!!) and still do some counters at the same time. I think that plan was around $40/person/day. Don't quote me on that though. The BEST time to go for dining is during their free dining package times. We would just upgrade from the budget plan to the medium or deluxe for a lot less, since the budget one was free! Hope that helps some.

Old 03-04-2010, 02:17 AM

not a thread killer!! I didn't notice the new reply. I hope you are all on the mend now!!

we have not gotten sick there but we are fairly hardy stock (knock on wood, poo poo poo, etc) & rarely get sick.

I was also going to say that maybe it's all local germs for us too - but that is probably not true because of all the people coming in from all over...

Old 03-04-2010, 06:23 PM

I have to vent..
If you are anywhere near being fan of Snow White then you will understand
I was so frustrated because I saw on ebay yesterday the Snow White Cottage that is at the same time a dolhouse that opens, closes and what not.. comes with that pump that pumps real water and has cute window shutters with staine glassish.. kindish renesanshish not really colored but the bottlebottom kinda thingies.. . My DD saw it at disney store and was begging me for it and I just could not afford it then, but little by little finally I decided I will get it for her.. so we are going to the store and of course.. it is gone.. we go online.. gone.. I was trying to buy this darn thing for months without any success and then I finaly managed to buy it locally from someone who charged me five times the price .. but at the same time I was so fed up that I did not even fainted.. I put my lunch money into it.. and then I spent days and days looking for the people from the movie to go with it as it came of course without any... you know.. snow white, little guys.. Then I prided myself that I did the impossible and collected it all.. only to come across this listing on ebay offering.. yeah you guessed it.. all of it together.. grrrrrr......
My only hope is that if it will end up costing tons of money I won't feel bad about myself having consolation of my wasted time otherwise I will scream do you feel my pain?

that darn thing is gone from disneys ever since christmas and now someone is selling it in my face? oh.. pain.

I thought I will vent and share and if you need one then it is there so you won't have to go through this madness if you are looking for this darn thing.
It is really out of this world thing and my dd is in seven heaven but then again will she ever know how much time mama wasted?

anyhow I already feel better knowing that you understand.. thanks for letting me to vent.
Old 03-04-2010, 06:25 PM

I am sorry I did not even follow the thread as I was just trying to find a place to share my pain and I figured disney mamas would be the friendly crowd. I wanted post it on general parenting but not everyone can relate to this.. you gotta be the snow white fan to even begin to feel the need :-)

so sorry for cutting in.
Old 03-04-2010, 07:14 PM

BellaClaudia, I would have done the same thing. Sounds like you did some good mama-work to me and that your daughter is very happy with it. Even though the journey was rough, sounds like the end result was worth it. Just don't look at those adds selling it all together.

Old 03-05-2010, 02:00 AM

figures! and totally something I would do

Old 03-10-2010, 08:05 AM

thanks you guys
I feel better now.
Old 08-31-2010, 04:45 AM

Anyone planning a trip to WDW next year now that so many discounts have been released? I would love to take DD on her first trip, but I'm not sure we'll be able to. There are some great discounts for anyone planning a trip!

Old 08-31-2010, 11:16 AM

we were going to go in the end of October for MNSSH and F&W... but now I'm not sure. we are trying to save some money so we can buy a car - both of ours are on their last legs....

we may still end up going though LOL

Old 09-01-2010, 08:30 PM

We've been going for 3 years running now! We love it there, though we JUST went this last June and it was hotter than the surface of the sun...so we might wait until October 2011 to go again.

I'm new to the site but saw this and wanted to share a little story. This last time we were in Disney (June) we unknowingly brought home a little souvenir...our newest addition to the family is due 3/30/2011! LOL! When I told my mother this she said "maybe this time you'll get your Disney princess!" rolfmao!

Just thought any other Disney nuts might get a kick out of that!

User Tag List