Forum Jump: 

Old 04-05-2007, 05:33 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MommytoTwo View Post
Question about the DVC????

From what I read you have to purchase a minimum amount of points and then you can use them to stay - but is the minimum purcahse like $14000??? I read something like that but it seems high... I dont know.
It is a pretty loaded question, there is a lot to it. If you are interested I can PM some sites that has a lot of info on it.

DVC you need to buy points. These points are good for anywhere to 40 to 50 years, depending on where you buy (the new places are like Saratoga Springs, and the new Animal Kingdom Villas have 50 years.) The more points, the more it cost. The more points, the bigger rooms you can get and more time you get.

We own 170 points at VWL and it cost around 12,000 back when we bought. The dues are around $600 a year for us. We bought thinking we would go once a year, but we have been staying in studios and going more often (1 to 3 times a year.) You can bank (save) or borrow your points too. We are in a constant state of borrowing. We wish we had around 220 points, but we are managing ok.

We love DVC. It is a great thing for us.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-06-2007, 01:43 PM

Hello there! I love Disney! We are taking ds to WDW in Florida the last week of September...we can't wait!! He will be 18 months old at that time. Any tips for us?
Old 04-11-2007, 09:31 PM

Hi all. Quick questions for you gals. What sun protection do you use for you and your kids? Sun screen, sun protective clothing, combo? What brand sun screen? Any particular sun hats that are good for your kids? I was thinking of getting the kids sun hats but have been having trouble finding them for my five year old ds. Any thoughts? We have those water hats with sun protection on them. Those ok for walking around Disney? thoughts?

Thanks!
Old 04-12-2007, 12:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodcents View Post
here i am!

so - who has been to the not so scary halloween party on halloween night itself? is it an insane idea? tentatively planning an october trip for my bday (i will get to disney this year dang it!). because my bday falls so close to halloween we would kinda have to be in florida for halloween night. my dd will be crushed if she doesn't get to trick or treat.
I thought this thread died. I had no idea the original thread was removed. I'm curious, someone want to PM me?

We're going down the day before Halloween, but we will not be going to MNSSHP. We should see if our schedules coincide though
Old 04-15-2007, 12:23 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by wendygrace View Post
Hi all. Quick questions for you gals. What sun protection do you use for you and your kids? Sun screen, sun protective clothing, combo? What brand sun screen? Any particular sun hats that are good for your kids? I was thinking of getting the kids sun hats but have been having trouble finding them for my five year old ds. Any thoughts? We have those water hats with sun protection on them. Those ok for walking around Disney? thoughts?

Thanks!
We use a solarveil sling and when napping in the strollers, I have solarveil sheets to drape over the slings. My boys live in baseball hats, I am lucky to get a bucket hat on them. I just try to remember to cover all their little body parts with sun screen, hair parts and tops of ears and backs of necks have been forgotten before I have heard of a sunscreen for hair that covers the scalp also, but cant find anything like that. I like the Baby Magic/Banana Boat sunscreen for the boys.

For swimming, I got Noah (23 months for our July trip) a swim diaper/shirt combo from Target that has sun protection built in.
Old 04-15-2007, 04:27 PM

Quote:
My bestest Disney bud has decided to make her appearance .

I am having so much fun planning our next trip, which is likely to be October 2007 so we can go to the Halloween party. I am trying to decide if we actually want to be in the park on Halloween night with a 4 year old and a 2 year old. Do y'all think I am nuts?
Well, I think you are nuts anyway!

I'm not sure about MNSSHP, but at California Adventure they do Mickey's Halloween Treat, and it is a ticketed event with a limited # of tickets, so it does not get really crowded, which is nice. I would guess that Halloween night would be a bit crowded in the parks, but it is probably not terrible. I could be totally wrong though.
Old 04-15-2007, 07:56 PM

We went to MGM on Halloween. Some kids in costume, but, dead as always I am a big fan of not going to Disney when it is busy so I couldn't be paid to go to MNSSHP on Halloween

We buy a whole bunch of sunblock from the co-op, I can't remember the name, and we just slather that on before we leave the hotel, or if we are late, while waiting for the bus. We also go in Oct/Nov, not dead heat of summer. The kids and I have never gotten tan while down there (which really angers people for some reason ) Hubby has gotten burnt a couple of times as "he didn't need sunblock".

A couple questions for you all. We bought APs, our first time. They are obviously not activated yet. Are we going to be able to get the AP code when it comes out b/c we're not activated? And, I read somewhere that before we check in to the POP we're going to need to get the APs activated to get the AP rate. We'll be flying down and then, MEing it, and I'm not looking forward to hanging out in POP while hubby takes a bus to DTD to activate an AP. Thoughts?

Thanks mamas
Amy
Old 04-15-2007, 08:15 PM

I am not sure about DW, but from what I have heard at DL, you do not have to be an AP until the day you check out in order to get the AP rate. You could probably call the reservations # to verify.
Old 04-15-2007, 08:37 PM

I would be more inclined to go to DTD with hubby while he activates the APs. There is plenty of stuff to do down there. You could ME it to POP leave your stuff with the luggage people and then go back to check in.

I hear you Kundalini about not going when its crowded - we schedule our trips for off peak times. I just kinda wanted to be there for my birthday which falls 1-2day before or 1-2 days after Halloween (I am not actually telling my bday 'cuase ya know this is the internet and all that). So....unless we planned on flying on my birthday (to get to Dis or to leave it) it kinda only left halloween night. I have done some research since then, and I am pretty sure we are going to probably go in the middle of October. That way there is no flying on my birthday, and the kids will for sure get to celebrate halloweenie. I haven't booked yet - sometime this week hopefully!
Old 04-15-2007, 08:49 PM

is anyone going for free dining? end of aug to end of sept.

our trip was already planned for the week of oct 7th so we can't plus that month is a little busy with school starting and the Jewish Holidays....

OH also YIPPEEE!!! Disney is now doing committment ceremonies for same sex couples!

I'm Andrea - I have three boys - 12 year old twins & an 11 year old

Old 04-15-2007, 08:50 PM

I was wondering if you followed some alternate calender where your birthday moved around

In terms of DTD, we'll be leaving VT at the butt-crack of dawn, laying over in JFK and finally getting to MCO. I love DTD, but I will need to lay down, or go to the pool or something, nothing too active. It is a very long day. And, DTD is weird about stroller rentals--we had to put like a $50 deposit down on a credit card--we don't have a credit card, luckily our friends did and they trusted us.

Andrea, I am so psyched about the commitment ceremonies. My husband has heard me talk about it, um, a tad too much. It is about time.
Old 04-15-2007, 09:25 PM

FLMM I just can't swing that Sept bit. I really wanted to try - but chaning all of our plans for the free dining, plus the start of school, and maybe not getting to go to the halloween party (whole point of a trip this time around) I am hoping they extended it!

We may just be there at the same time kundali mom.
Old 04-15-2007, 09:42 PM

kundalini,thanks for the info on the sunscreen. If you happen to remember who the co-op was from, please let me know. I'm looking for some good sunscreen because I'm probably gonna go with baseball caps for the kids.

I'd share more here but this is my first trip as an adult so I'm pretty clueless about all this. I am getting so excited though. It is nerve-wracking that we don't have confirmation yet though. But chances are pretty good we'll be leaving around ds' bday in June.
Old 04-15-2007, 11:10 PM

Quote:
FLMM I just can't swing that Sept bit. I really wanted to try - but chaning all of our plans for the free dining, plus the start of school, and maybe not getting to go to the halloween party (whole point of a trip this time around) I am hoping they extended it!
not that you should change your plans... but I think the 1st party is 9/14

also the P&P parties will coincide with it too

free dining is 8/26 - 9/22

P&P dates are 8/11/07, 8/15/07, 8/18/07, 8/21/07, 8/24/07, 8/28/07, 8/31/07 and 9/3/07

MNSSHP dates are not confirmed but the 1st one should be 9/14

Old 05-01-2007, 01:25 PM

I just wrote a long post and it got lost!!!! Argh!

Anyway, we're in the final stretch. 26 days till our first trip to WDW!: I feel like there are tons of things I should be doing right now, but don't know what. All our ressies are made, ds is set up to go on his pirate adventure, we got our vouchers and DME luggage stickers...So now what?

Dh and I can't decide if we should bring a stroller with us or not. on the one hand, ds is 5, active, and healthy. We go hiking and he doesn't tire out. On the other hand, it'll be hot and sunny and I'm sure he'd love a place to sit and rest while in line. But the stroller we would bring is his old umbrella stroller that doesn't have a sun shade or cup holders or anything.

Also, what are the things you all feel are absloutely necessary to bring with you into the parks? I'm thinking the camera/film (maybe video cam?) snacks, water, band aids, ibuprofen, sunscreen, wipes and chapstick. But is there anything eles that I'm missing?

And what should we do our first day? We are staying 8d 7n, and we arrive in orlando at 1:30. We'll be staying at CBR and dh wants to go to Epcot right away, but I'm not sure. Any ideas?

Please, help me stay busy so these last 3 weeks don't drag by!

thanks!

addicted, homeschooling, freelancing mama to DS 8. Pet mama to Harvey the Wonder Mutt :, Pnut: and Autumn : Oh, yeah, and
Old 05-01-2007, 02:45 PM

Hey, time does fly doesn't it. We leave on Friday for a few days at CRS and then over to the boat for 4 nights on the Wonder. We get a night at SSR after the cruise, but our AP will be expired so we are just hanging out or going to TL on Thursday.

I always say bring a stroller, but if it isn't that great of a one, maybe rent. Then again if it just an umbrella, how hard it is to bring?

Epcot is a good park to go to if you can't get there 1st thing in the morning. If you want to do Soaring that day get a fast pass right away though. It is really the only one that runs out. If you have other days at Epcot then just do it another day. Also the ride in Mexico is just redone, don't miss that. The F&G festival should still be going one, so be sure to spend some good time at Epcot. It is great. There is extra play areas always set up and that is extra fun too.

If you are not doing the EMH, then try to avoid that park that day. It does really make the park busier. If you don't want to do a park on the 1st day there is always resort, DTD and boardwalk area.

Your list sounds good. When the kids were young I always brought a small blanket for comfort and shade, but with older kids not as important. A hat would be good to add to the list and sun glasses. Rain gear if necessary and a rain cover for the stroller is good if you have it. Autograph book and pen is good. pennies to press (and quarters) is fun too, along with a pass port you can buy and stamp at all the countries at Epcot. Don't miss the kid cot stations at Epcot too. Oh and the living seas, must hit the living seas and see the new Nemo ride (a few times.) Gosh I am getting excited too.

We are doing Epcot the 1st day (half day like you) and then MK the 2nd day. Our AP are only good until May 6th and we arrive May 4th. We get on the boat May 6th so 2 days in the park is it for us this trip. We just did the family trip in Jan so it isn't like the kids never get to go. WDW is just bonus this trip. The cruise is what we are all excited about.
Old 05-01-2007, 03:47 PM

Thanks!

Yeah, we have hats, and plan on wearing them daily. Thanks for the reminder about rain gear! And it's funny, but I actually dreamed about pressing pennies at WDW last night. Oh will these weeks never end?!?!

addicted, homeschooling, freelancing mama to DS 8. Pet mama to Harvey the Wonder Mutt :, Pnut: and Autumn : Oh, yeah, and
Old 05-03-2007, 10:50 PM

Well we are off (tmw at 4:30 am! : ) Will report back when we return. I even got the girls to bed. Some last min packing, some good Thursday night T.V. and then time to sleep for a few hours before leaving in the middle of the night for the airport. The good news is we have a full day at WDW tmw!
Old 05-04-2007, 12:24 AM

have a great time!!!!!!

Old 05-04-2007, 05:54 PM

Just the mamas I need to talk to! I've been going crazy trying to make all these Disney decisions on my own. DH says just do whatever, ok, it's not that easy So here is what I know, could you guys help me figure some things out.

We are going for just 2 days in October, mid october a tuesday and wednesday. My parents live just an hour and a half away so we will be driving in early on tuesday and leaving for home late wednesday. We will just stay over one night, onsite. We already have reservations for princess breakfast on wednesday morning.

So, should we stay at a monorail hotel and pay more for the convenience or stay at say Boardwalk, Beach, or Wilderness Villas and pay less, but not have the convenience. Money is not a huge factor, well we can afford it, but don't really like spending unless we are really getting our moneys worth. Like, if we didn't have little ones, then we would just stay farther and cheaper, but does it make it worth it with an almost 4 year old and 18 month old.

Strollers. Rent or bring your own?
Old 05-04-2007, 07:34 PM

The monorail is fun to ride but really the buses are totally easy.. we stay at the Port Orleans Riverside and love it.
If your kid is a little older I would wait on the stroller - you can always rent one if need be.

Check out www.allearsnet.com
Old 05-04-2007, 08:41 PM

if you CAN stay in a monorail hotel I think it's totally worth it - if you can't - it's still not a big deal - we always drive though and don't use busses. if you have to use busses I say stay in a monorail hotel for sure.

strollers - we always brought ours (maclaren twin & maclaren single)

when the twins were 17 months and the baby was 8 weeks old we went with a inline triplet stroller and got a guest assistance pass for it hahahaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by hlkm2e View Post

So, should we stay at a monorail hotel and pay more for the convenience or stay at say Boardwalk, Beach, or Wilderness Villas and pay less, but not have the convenience. Money is not a huge factor, well we can afford it, but don't really like spending unless we are really getting our moneys worth. Like, if we didn't have little ones, then we would just stay farther and cheaper, but does it make it worth it with an almost 4 year old and 18 month old.

Strollers. Rent or bring your own?

Old 05-05-2007, 10:37 PM
AMJ

Hi all...

We just decided last week that we are going around Memorial Day! Airfare on United dropped last week and we had been looking for a getaway before mid-June. Having an AP and a child who is still free (until July) is a dangerous combination!

My mother, DD, and I are flying down on 5/21 and DH and my dad are flying down late on 5/24. We're staying at Yacht Club (DH, DD, and I are happy at the values, but the parents are more the deluxe types). Can anyone enlighten me on how bad the crowds will be this time of year and how hot it will be?

I'll be around 21 weeks pregnant on this trip. I couldn't believe how wiped out I was when we were there in late Feb/early March (between 8 and 9 weeks). Hopefully, I'll have the second trimester energy burst...or I could just hang out at the pool!
Old 05-06-2007, 12:06 AM

Cant help you on the crowds but it will be pretty darn hot. Tank tops and shorts for sure. LOTS of sunblock.
Old 05-10-2007, 01:04 AM - Thread Starter

Bumping for Tiffany!
Old 05-10-2007, 01:22 AM

YAY! I had no idea about this place.. thanks for the bump.. Im Tiffany (20), married to Donald (25). We have Raymond (4), Ari (2), and Alex (1). We live in Jacksonville, FL and are semi-crunchy and are totally addicted to Disney! We are currently planning a Nov. 4 night cruise on the Wonder and a MK trip in January
Old 05-12-2007, 03:12 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiffany_PartyOf5 View Post
YAY! I had no idea about this place.. thanks for the bump.. Im Tiffany (20), married to Donald (25). We have Raymond (4), Ari (2), and Alex (1). We live in Jacksonville, FL and are semi-crunchy and are totally addicted to Disney! We are currently planning a Nov. 4 night cruise on the Wonder and a MK trip in January
Glad you found it! We are going in July and I am stocking up on ideas on how to stay cool!!
Old 05-13-2007, 12:43 PM

We are back. We had a great trip and most things turned out very well. The cruise was great. The girls had a wonderful time time. No one really got sick (except me.) I think it was IBS that flared up, I haven't had issues with it in years. I guess going off my diet and routine really threw me. It wasn't fun, and still isn't but I have been very careful about what I have been eating (not much) and drinking gateraid. I even drank pedia light (yuck, no wonder my kids won't drink that.) :

The staff on the boat was great. We ended up with 2 days at Cast Away Cay because it was rainy the 1st morning (but fine the afternoon.) It was a lot of fun. The girls loved the Oceaner Club (they did let potty trained 2 year old Lily in, but we didn't leave her for long and always had her big sister with her.) The weather wasn't perfect, but was fine for most of it.

Our time while short at WDW was great too. We had a good day at Epcot and MK before heading out on the boat and hung at the resort after (SSR.) That was when my tummy was having major bathroom issues so I was happy to be "close to home." I managed to fly home ok too, could of been a lot worse.

No more WDW trip until a year from now. How said is that?
Old 05-13-2007, 09:37 PM

WB!! sounds like fun

Old 05-15-2007, 12:35 PM

I'm so excited that I constantly feel like I'm gonna pee myself! Hard to believe that 13 days from RIGHT NOW I'll be in the magic kingdom. I'm trying to keep myself busy, but really my first and last thoughts of my days are about the trip. I think dh is going batty with the nonstop chatter.

So, is it true about the new refillable mugs? You can now refill them at any resort? I don't want to start one of those dreaded mug debates that are so common on other boards. I'm just wondering if this is the case.

I'm fully expecting to get weepy when we arrive. I'm not sure why. I guess for a lot of reasons...that we're doing this for ds, that it's our first time, that I never got to do anything like this when I was a child...But when we watch the planning dvd, I get misty, so I figure i'll cry a bit when I'm actually there. Anyone else have this issue?

User Tag List