Dis Mamas! - Disney moms unite! - Page 9 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 05-25-2007, 05:37 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rigama View Post
Thank you for all your suggestions! I think that dh wanted to do epcot for the emh. It's funny. I've spent hours over the last 8 months planning every detail of this trip, and he comes along the last week and realizes he hasn't really contributed so he decides to take over the calendar. Silly man.

3 days to go! Our in laws will be in late tonight, and we'll be in the air at 6am Monday morning. Waa-Hoo!

So happy for you!!!!!!! Men, what are you going to do with them. At least he is getting excited about the trip.

My EMH adivce is if you are not going to do EMH at the park on the day they have it, don't go to that park. Not as many people are hopping, so the parks do really get more busy on EMH days. So you are doing the the right thing by hopping over to it, instead of spending the whole day there.

Have a magical time!

Bestbirths and ChristyM26 welcome, we are happy to have you. No need to hide your love for Disney in the closet on this thread. :
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-25-2007, 08:00 PM

Rigama- have a wonderful trip!

~e, wife to my sweet T , mama to my turtleman (12) , sunshine (9 ), and monkey (6)
Old 05-26-2007, 01:04 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bestbirths View Post
maybe an hour away...we are in Gardner, Kansas. .
I have some AP friends in Gardner!! We have a Kansas City AP board with some Gardner members. Wonder if you know them! I can pm you more info on the kc board if you are interested.

My 1 year old calls Minnie - Mickey also. Well it sounds more like Meeka!
Old 05-27-2007, 01:05 PM

Wowie wow wow!

We are flying out in one day! Heee heee heee!

: : :

addicted, homeschooling, freelancing mama to DS 8. Pet mama to Harvey the Wonder Mutt :, Pnut: and Autumn : Oh, yeah, and
Old 05-27-2007, 01:17 PM

so exciting!!! have a great time!!!!!

I'm Andrea - I have three boys - 12 year old twins & an 11 year old

Old 05-27-2007, 03:21 PM

Have fun! We are counting down here. 28 days!
Old 05-27-2007, 07:21 PM - Thread Starter

We still have 6 weeks to go!! Have fun!!!
Old 05-28-2007, 01:25 AM - Thread Starter

I have 2 boys, at the time of our trip in July they will be 4 and 23 months, and the characters they like all have swords(pirates), lazers(Buzz), knives (Peter Pan), or light sabres(star wars), although my almost 4 year old is insisting he be Cinderella at the Bibbidi Bobbidi Boutique How do you tame the violence of the characters aimed towards the boys?!?!
Old 05-28-2007, 03:53 AM

We leave in three days! I have loved Disney for as long as I can remember! I have been waiting to take ds, and we figure now is good because he is still free (for another month!) Unfortunately, just recently, ds has been terrified of anything dressed up - we go to the local WNBA games and he freaks out if the mascot comes within 50 feet of him. Please convince me that this is not going to be a major problem!!! We decided not to do a character breakfast, unless he drastically changes his tune! We're staying in the All Star Sports - traveling as economically as possible - and are staying for 6 days. Other than the flight, I'm so excited I can hardly stand it - I just hope ds has a good time... Any suggestions on bringing drinks/waters vs. buying them when we get there? I don't want him drinking soda or "fruit drinks" the whole time we're there...

Erika, mama to Sawyer 6/04 joy.gifand Gracie 7/10energy.gif  :, dw Amy:

treehugger.gifsaynovax.gifbfinfant.giffamilybed2.gifRainbow.gif

Old 05-28-2007, 01:25 PM

As for "taming the violence", I have no suggestions. Ds is really into Peter Pan but not into Capt Hook and I'm not even sure he "sess" the sword Peter has. Its just not in his personality. I see kids running around playing these things and he just looks at them like they are weird. He's four though so perhaps in a year or two he'll get into it and then I'll be asking the question.

moonmmama22, I'm so excited for you. We have 27 more days. I don't know what to tell you about the characters although I've heard that the characters don't approach the kids (except at the meals) so you probably won't have to much trouble. As for water, I hear there are water fountains everywhere but to take drink packets or a filter as the water tastes funny but its safe to drink, obviously.
Old 05-28-2007, 02:33 PM

OT AngieWin- I guarantee I know the AP family in Gardner you know! I have joined the AP online group but when you don't use it regularly, you have to re register to get on. I need to re register again.
Old 05-28-2007, 02:42 PM

taming the violence...ok if my girls had princess wands they would hit each other over the head with them. So I do the tiara, and I will go all out with the dress hair and shoes. But we don't do wands. Dh calls them brother beaters.

We removed all violent toys from the house, but swords are a little different because the way they play with it is to hit the swords against each other and they don't hit each other with them. Same with light sabers. Any given week at our homeschool group in Gardner, the kids will play with light sabers and as long as they don't hit each other I am pretty ok with it. If I had my choice they wouldn't use them at all. I think my son got his at a garage sale and it could disappear if it becomes a problem.
Old 05-28-2007, 05:22 PM

To all of you who have a trip coming up, I'm so jealous! Have fun!

About the violence issue... well, the only experience I have so far is while we were growing up (I have 3 brothers and a sister) and despite the love of transformers and star wars and all of that, none of us is a violent person. My mom and dad always made sure to explain to us the right and wrong ways to get out aggression and play was just that - play. I think as long as they understand that it's not ok to hit other people like in real life, that it's ok.

Mama to Aeden, : my little NICU grad and Conner and Liam () my precious twins. is due mid April!
Old 05-29-2007, 12:43 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by moonmama22 View Post
Unfortunately, just recently, ds has been terrified of anything dressed up .... Any suggestions on bringing drinks/waters vs. buying them when we get there? I don't want him drinking soda or "fruit drinks" the whole time we're there...
Bryce was scared of the easter bunny and the Royals mascot before our first trip, but when we go to Disneyland and saw the characters he loved them!!! I think part of it was because he was familiar with those characters and already knew them. The only ones he had a problem with were the villians and the Monsters Inc characters.

Disney will let you bring in water/snacks in a soft side cooler. We bring in frozen water bottles and the ice thaws nicely while keeping the water cool most of the day. We are staying offsite so we have access to a kitchen/fridge. Water and ice are FREE in the parks, but you have to ask for them. But some people say the taste of the water in Florida is bad. I dont remember it being that way though.
Old 05-29-2007, 12:46 AM - Thread Starter

That makes me feel a little bit better about the violence stuff. My boys can make swords out of absolutely anything!! And even Noah my 1 year old can make the gun sound effects I'm trying to encourage more gentle play, but it feels like an uphill battle some days!!

Bestbirths - yes re-register!! I'd love to see you over on that board!
Old 05-29-2007, 01:50 AM

I get myself so stressed out about these things. : Last time we went, it was just the two of us, and we drove, so we had a cooler, case of water, and didn't have to worry about how much we packed. This time, we are so worried about keeping luggage to a minimum, since we will have to carry that, plus a carseat, and ds, who will probably not want to walk through the airport at 6am. I would love to pack bottles of water, but that will add a lot of weight!
Thanks for the encouragement about the characters! We just keep telling him that it is ok if he doesn't want to get close to them, and he can just wave from a distance. He seems okay with that, and is excited about the shows and the parades, so really, as long as he has fun, I don't care about the rest of it...

Erika, mama to Sawyer 6/04 joy.gifand Gracie 7/10energy.gif  :, dw Amy:

treehugger.gifsaynovax.gifbfinfant.giffamilybed2.gifRainbow.gif

Old 05-29-2007, 02:29 PM

It does seem like Disney's answer to the princess theming but only for boys is pirates. This means swords and guns. They seem to be everywhere at WDW, and it always surprises me. It seem so anti Disney really. I only have girls, so it doesn't effect me as much.

As far as brining food goes, I know of a few online places that will deliver an order to you. We used one and was very happy with it. It is $10 delivery charge, and the prices are very close to that of the grocery store (like maybe 5 or 10 cents more an item.) They have a list of what they can order, but I found they would add almost anything I would request to it (if the stores had it.) Anyone who wants the website, pm me. They bring it to your resort, and the resort will hold it if you aren't there yet (and have paid for it already.)

We did pack a few things of milk boxs (and soy) in some Rubbermaid in our luggage. It worked out well.

The water at WDW used to be really nasty. They must of added an filter system. It isn't as bad anymore. It is rather good in the parks, and not bad at the resorts
Old 05-30-2007, 12:26 AM - Thread Starter

The soft sided coolers should be easy to fold and pack in a suitcase if you want to take them. I understand about wanting to keep the luggage/etc to a minimum. This time we will not only have a stroller, 2 carseats, luggage for 6!!!, but also all the baseball equipment my stepson will need for his tournament our first week down there. But I guess I cant complain too much, it means an extra week at Disney for me!

Another alternative is to ship a box of misc down to meet you at the resort. I have heard of alot of families doing that so they can cut down on their luggage. Ship a box of snacks, waterbottles, etc down and you can use the box to ship back souveniours, etc. DH has done this with his golf clubs and we might ship back some of the baseball cra... um, stuff!
Old 05-30-2007, 12:42 AM

We carry our soft sided cooler bag on the plane as a personal item. Now that they don't allow liquds it isn't as useful, but they have no problems with it. we pack it up with some food, even fresh furit and such (as long as you are not flying out or in of the country.) :
Old 06-04-2007, 04:49 PM

Help! I need to buy sunscreen for Disney and it needs to accept Paypal. Anyone know of any good sellers of sunscreen that accept paypal? Also, how much sunscreen do I need for two fair skinned preschoolers, and two adults for a week at Disney?
Old 06-05-2007, 12:35 AM - Thread Starter

I saw you got your paypal question answered on the dis, but I think the recommended "dose" is 2 tsp of sunscreen, and to reapply if they are in water or sweat for a long period of time.
Old 06-05-2007, 10:22 AM

Thanks. Now I have to decide which sunscreen is the least toxic. I suppose it doesn't matter to terribly much since we use it so rarely around here. We rarely go outside during the heat of the day and we stay in the shade and wear protective clothing most of the time. Matter of fact, the kids and I are wearing sunwear.
Old 06-05-2007, 10:32 AM

I use California Baby Sunblock. I find it to be tolerable for my people with chemical sensitivity to be around (such as if we have it on we can share the same car), so I think it is fairly non toxic. I like the way it works. Here is a link to someone selling the stick version on ebay. I usually pay $17 dollars a bottle so it looks like I too am going to check out ebay for a deal. I don't want to run out of sunblock so I might get four bottles to take on our trip for eight people.
Old 06-05-2007, 10:37 AM

Here is a link to the exact kind we use. Wow. I am going to buy mine on ebay too. Right now the bidding is at $4.89! It is usually $17 in stores for that bottle and $14 for the bottle through special offers at the coop we belong to if that gives you an idea how to bid.
Old 06-05-2007, 12:10 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Heya Mamas (and Papas).

We are planning our first family trip to Disney for next February. We booked the flights and our hotel. We are staying at the Pop Century because we need to be really budget conscious. We are going with my Mom and have requested an adjoining room.

My last trip to Disney was when I was a teenager. This trip will be my 3rd or 4th time. We camp a lot as a family, and this is only our second big trip as a family.

I wanted to share a tip I discovered recently! You know how you can only book restaurant and character dinners 180 days in advance to the day? If you are booked at a hotel at Disney then you can book them 180 days in advance to the day of your *check-in*. That means that you can book some things 181+ days in advance! A big advantage for some of the popular character dinners/breakfasts.

nak- another tip - at 10 kids kids pay adult prices for admission and tickets, but if at check-in they are 9, even if they turn 10 the next day, they are priced at 9 for the whole trip. we almost went around my son's birthday and arriving just before his bday would have saved up $$$$ over booking just afterwards.

carolynn
Old 06-05-2007, 12:55 PM

cool tips! Thank you!
Old 06-05-2007, 01:52 PM

Thank you all so much for your tips and advice! We had a wonderful vacation, though we're all happy to be home again. We got everything done that we really really wanted to do, and even got some extra "frosting" stuff done too.

The food was wonderful (except the counter service in Germany. Didn't like it at all). My favorite meal was at Le Cellier. YUM! CBR was nice. We had requested Aruba or Jamaica, but ended up in Barbados, which was totally fine. the walk to Old Port Royal didn't bother us much, and getting our luggage back to the Customs House was easy peasy. We had great luck with the bus service, and wonderful luck with the lines. Mostly we went in the early mornings, rested after lunch at the resort for a couple of hours (though ds never napped!) and then played for a couple more hours after dinner.

Soarin' was an awsome ride! Oh, and I kissed Jack Sparrow. He comandeered our raft over to Tom Sawyer Island and my hubby shouted "Hey Jack, can she get a kiss?" He came over to me and Ds and went to hug ds (he's always mistaken for a girl) when I leaned in and gave him a hug and peck on the cheek. That was pretty cool. Dh got it on video. It's the closest I'll ever get to Johnny Depp, but it'll do!

We didn't win any dreams. It kinda bummed me out because we went with my BIL, SIL and thier 3 kids. They were all so crabby the whole time and didn't do much smiling or anything, but they kept winning small dreams. It made me wonder if my own family were crabby and yelling at each other if we'd have had better chances of winning something. But we had so much fun, that ulitmately it didn't matter that we didn't get anything. Though a fast pass would have been nice!

addicted, homeschooling, freelancing mama to DS 8. Pet mama to Harvey the Wonder Mutt :, Pnut: and Autumn : Oh, yeah, and
Old 06-05-2007, 03:52 PM

Quote:
Thank you all so much for your tips and advice! We had a wonderful vacation, though we're all happy to be home again. We got everything done that we really really wanted to do, and even got some extra "frosting" stuff done too.

The food was wonderful (except the counter service in Germany. Didn't like it at all). My favorite meal was at Le Cellier. YUM! CBR was nice. We had requested Aruba or Jamaica, but ended up in Barbados, which was totally fine. the walk to Old Port Royal didn't bother us much, and getting our luggage back to the Customs House was easy peasy. We had great luck with the bus service, and wonderful luck with the lines. Mostly we went in the early mornings, rested after lunch at the resort for a couple of hours (though ds never napped!) and then played for a couple more hours after dinner.

Soarin' was an awsome ride! Oh, and I kissed Jack Sparrow. He comandeered our raft over to Tom Sawyer Island and my hubby shouted "Hey Jack, can she get a kiss?" He came over to me and Ds and went to hug ds (he's always mistaken for a girl) when I leaned in and gave him a hug and peck on the cheek. That was pretty cool. Dh got it on video. It's the closest I'll ever get to Johnny Depp, but it'll do!

We didn't win any dreams. It kinda bummed me out because we went with my BIL, SIL and thier 3 kids. They were all so crabby the whole time and didn't do much smiling or anything, but they kept winning small dreams. It made me wonder if my own family were crabby and yelling at each other if we'd have had better chances of winning something. But we had so much fun, that ulitmately it didn't matter that we didn't get anything. Though a fast pass would have been nice!
Oh, so glad to hear you guys had a good trip!!!!!!!!

I have often wondered the same thing about us. We never let little things get in the way of our good time at WDW, and we never get wishes. Even with out dream fast passes we know what we are doing enough to still get on what we want with out waiting.

I was glad that when we were on the cruise with BIL and SIL we didn't do the parks with them. They tend to be the same way, and almost never want to listen to DH's and mine experience of being there before and knowing how to do things. It can be hard to keep everyone happy in a group too, especially with kids. However we have really good friends with kids the same age as ours. We have been to WDW 3 times with them and always have a wonderful time. They are really easy going, as are we (but I do tend to be the one pushing everyone to get moving and be on time for places.)

If you have a trip report anywhere, let me know. I would love to read it.
Old 06-06-2007, 11:39 AM

Quote:
But we had so much fun, that ulitmately it didn't matter that we didn't get anything. Though a fast pass would have been nice!
I'm glad you had fun!

Oh how I miss Disney... and now we have to wait until the babies are bigger (well, born first).

I don't know if any of you listen to podcasts but if you haven't listened to this one: http://www.distantcreations.com/insidethemagic/ check it out! The podcast is done by a guy who lives in Orlando, goes to the parks regularly and has some great connections. Also, there are a bunch of cast members who listen/contribute info so sometimes we get stuff before it's released to the public.

Mama to Aeden, : my little NICU grad and Conner and Liam () my precious twins. is due mid April!
Old 06-06-2007, 06:05 PM

Christy I went when I was about 20+ weeks pregnant with my twins - I had a blast!

I'm Andrea - I have three boys - 12 year old twins & an 11 year old

User Tag List