Native American Mamas tribe - Page 17 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 12-06-2007, 12:14 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm kind of in the same boat. Though I'm adopted and have found various birth-family members. Cherokee on my paternal grandmothers side. I feel the same way. I'd love to learn more and also have my children be a part of it as well. I did come across a site a while back that had something to do with this. I think it was www.theupcn.com. United People of the Cherokee Nation. Seems like they accept us based on our own knowledge of being Cherokee. They believe that we should be part of a tribe even if we aren't on the rolls. We have Cherokee blood and that's that! So check it out. See if itmight be what you're looking for. I'll do the same. Good luck
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-13-2007, 07:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kellyh View Post
I'm kind of in the same boat. Though I'm adopted and have found various birth-family members. Cherokee on my paternal grandmothers side. I feel the same way. I'd love to learn more and also have my children be a part of it as well. I did come across a site a while back that had something to do with this. I think it was www.theupcn.com. United People of the Cherokee Nation. Seems like they accept us based on our own knowledge of being Cherokee. They believe that we should be part of a tribe even if we aren't on the rolls. We have Cherokee blood and that's that! So check it out. See if itmight be what you're looking for. I'll do the same. Good luck
Thank you so much! I will definitely have to check into that. It really is great to hear somebody else. I do want to learn, and be a part of the tribe, but sometimes the attitudes I run into can be really discouraging. Thanks!
Old 12-14-2007, 02:47 AM

please forgive my ignorance. I'd like to ask what exactly does it mean to live a 'traditional lifestyle'? Many PP's have mentioned that they are following a traditional lifestyle with their family. Thank you in advance for any responses
Old 12-16-2007, 01:58 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MommyHawk View Post
I called Virginia today and she told me that the family needed
very badly, a blanket for each person, and a pillow not to mention boots,
gloves, mittens, coats, and hats. They do not have proper clothes for this season.
Do you have gently things you can donate or is your family or school reaching
out to families in need? This is a traditional Ojibwa family, a mother in her 20's
working hard to support herself and five children on her own.
Thank you for sharing, MommyHawk. I hope this family recieves everything they need.

There are mamas here on this forum that need help, too. If you want to learn more, click my siggie.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahwpen View Post
I really want my kids to be able to learn the traditional ways and to be able to feel like they are a part of the tribe instead of growing up feeling like they have to be ashamed because their name isn't on the list and so they can't "prove it". Is there any way that anyone here knows of that we can be included without necessarily having to "be" Cherokee? I don't care about getting stuff from the government or anything like that, I just want to learn and have the community.
What part of the country do you live in? I know that here, in the Southeast, there are lots of pow wows and festivals that you would be more than welcome to take a part in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by newmama8824 View Post
HELLO! i'm native american. Pottawatomie Indian to be exact. I've danced since I was a little girl, just stopped a few years ago. Hopefully I will get back into it eventually after the babe is here, I would like him to dance and to experience the culture as well.
Welcome! So glad to have you here with us!

Quote:
please forgive my ignorance. I'd like to ask what exactly does it mean to live a 'traditional lifestyle'? Many PP's have mentioned that they are following a traditional lifestyle with their family. Thank you in advance for any responses
Personally, I think traditional lifestyle means that you follow the traditions of your people. That could mean attending ceremonies, cooking traditional foods, speaking your language in the home...it could also mean more subtle things like respecting yourself and others, and taking care of the Earth.
Old 12-22-2007, 07:26 PM

Wow, talk about something to stand for! Something to believe in! Something to be excited about!!! IMO all NDN Nations should do this. I'm sick of the Wasitchu way of life.

http://www.lakotafreedom.com/index.html

Old 01-03-2008, 11:17 PM - Thread Starter

Happy New Year!::

Best wishes to you all!

How is everyone doing? It's c-c-c-cold here. :
Old 01-13-2008, 03:42 PM

http://youtube.com/watch?v=VYH9U3wlY0k&feature=related

Medium Sessions, Psychic Readings, Astrology Consultations and Mother Blessings www.magicalmoongarden.com
Old 01-15-2008, 08:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mamapits View Post
wado!!!

Old 02-06-2008, 05:38 AM - Thread Starter

Bump! How is everyone?

Jennbee, any update on your new arrival?
Old 02-09-2008, 03:24 PM

Boozhoo,
I've been quite busy lately...full-time college student, 4 month old and a 4 year old. DH is going back to work this week; he had 17 weeks off for parental leave. My sister and niece moved in with us; she'll be taking care of baby while I'm in classes for the next 3 months. Baby is doing well, but we've been having some problems getting her to drink out of the bottle while I'm gone to class. My 4 yo goes to daycare and seems to have adjusted well to having a new sister....now, if we only had a bigger than king size bed.
Old 02-10-2008, 12:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennbee View Post
Boozhoo,
I've been quite busy lately...full-time college student, 4 month old and a 4 year old. DH is going back to work this week; he had 17 weeks off for parental leave. My sister and niece moved in with us; she'll be taking care of baby while I'm in classes for the next 3 months. Baby is doing well, but we've been having some problems getting her to drink out of the bottle while I'm gone to class. My 4 yo goes to daycare and seems to have adjusted well to having a new sister....now, if we only had a bigger than king size bed.
wow! full-time student AND new baby AND 4yo...how do you do it?!?!?! I was thinking of going back to school, but didn't think it possible to do anything other than go part-time. What are you going to school for? Congratulations on your baby!

My DS never took anything from a bottle. We used shot glasses and he just sipped out of them or just waited for me to get home. Your baby may just be too smart and knows the difference
Old 02-10-2008, 01:50 AM

Wow. I didn't know this tribe was here.
Glad I found it. I"m Cherokee and Choctaw.
More Choctaw blood than Cherokee.
I'm trying to get on the rolls and get our
CDIB but we're having trouble finding out
where our Grandfather was born and the information
they are asking for. The Choctaw Nation here in OK
wanted to know a lot of information for the
Dawes rolls and my Dad and I just couldn't come up with it.
If anyone has any helpful hints pass them my way.
I want my children know their heritage. We go to the
Pottawatomi Nation pow wows here every summer. I do
want them to know more culture and heritage though.
Old 02-11-2008, 03:04 AM

it's hard, but i'm managing....only have 3.5 days of classes. my live-in sis will be a big help. i'm taking sports and recreation admin.

baby is sipping from a little cup and we got a born free sippy cup that she has to get used to. she definitely loves to nurse.

Quote:
wow! full-time student AND new baby AND 4yo...how do you do it?!?!?! I was thinking of going back to school, but didn't think it possible to do anything other than go part-time. What are you going to school for? Congratulations on your baby!

My DS never took anything from a bottle. We used shot glasses and he just sipped out of them or just waited for me to get home. Your baby may just be too smart and knows the difference
Old 02-11-2008, 03:06 AM

we're having a Pottawatomi Gathering this summer in my community... pm me if you want more info.

Quote:
Originally Posted by N8'sMom View Post
Glad I found it. I"m Cherokee and Choctaw.
More Choctaw blood than Cherokee.
I'm trying to get on the rolls and get our
CDIB but we're having trouble finding out
where our Grandfather was born and the information
they are asking for. The Choctaw Nation here in OK
wanted to know a lot of information for the
Dawes rolls and my Dad and I just couldn't come up with it.
If anyone has any helpful hints pass them my way.
I want my children know their heritage. We go to the
Pottawatomi Nation pow wows here every summer. I do
want them to know more culture and heritage though.
Old 02-19-2008, 01:53 PM

http://www.grandmotherscouncil.com/

There is some video of them here as well that you can watch. Pretty amazing women.

Medium Sessions, Psychic Readings, Astrology Consultations and Mother Blessings www.magicalmoongarden.com
Old 02-23-2008, 08:01 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennbee View Post
Boozhoo,
I've been quite busy lately...full-time college student, 4 month old and a 4 year old.
Congratulations! I'm so happy for you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by N8'sMom View Post
Glad I found it.
Welcome!
Old 03-02-2008, 08:20 PM

http://www.bsnorrell.blogspot.com/ (Updates from the Northern Route)
http://www.longestwalk.org
http://www.earthcycles.net (audio)

http://www.blackmesais.org

Old 03-03-2008, 03:08 AM

Hi All! I am Cherokee, Lenape, & Blackfoot (I'm also a genealogist, so who knows what else I might come across in my journeys!)..... not a member of any federally recognized tribe though. This is really great that you have this here. I thought I had searched on these boards before, but somehow I must've missed you guys.
I'm trying to raise my DD's with as much cultural background as I can, although it's hard these days.... I didn't grow up "traditionally" & live in a predominately white area. My gr-grandmother was murdered for being NA & my grandmother grew up in a orphanage & told to always say she was white. There was issues with prejudice on my other side too & I think they just did what they thought they needed to do at the time to survive. Unfortunately a lot was lost with that. So, I'm trying my darnedest to bring back to my family what it's been missing for generations.
Glad to be here & I look forward to good conversations
Old 03-04-2008, 11:12 PM

http://oyate.org/
Great site.

Old 03-28-2008, 05:30 PM - Thread Starter

Anyone gearing up for the Spring/Summer pow wow season?
Old 03-28-2008, 08:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Bear's Mama View Post
Anyone gearing up for the Spring/Summer pow wow season?
I'm hoping to find a pow wow this year before it gets smokin' hot. The Baltimore Powwow is in the heat of August and it just isn't any fun.
Old 03-31-2008, 04:50 AM

Hi, I have three Native American blood lines, but I don't know much about it. When I was growing up we had a program in school called "Indian Education" (in the state of CA) where they would teach us about the culture and we went on special field trips to reservations. I also learned a little from an uncle who lives traditionally. He (and my father) are Ojibwe from Minnesota. I recently found out that they also have some Santee Sioux. On my mother's side of the family we are descendants of Carolina Cherokee. Unfortunately I don't know too much more, but would love to hang around here and see what I learn (If you guys don't mind).
Old 04-03-2008, 01:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alysmommy2004 View Post
Hi, I have three Native American blood lines, but I don't know much about it. When I was growing up we had a program in school called "Indian Education" (in the state of CA) where they would teach us about the culture and we went on special field trips to reservations. I also learned a little from an uncle who lives traditionally. He (and my father) are Ojibwe from Minnesota. I recently found out that they also have some Santee Sioux. On my mother's side of the family we are descendants of Carolina Cherokee. Unfortunately I don't know too much more, but would love to hang around here and see what I learn (If you guys don't mind).
looks like you know a lot about your heritage to me

Welcome!!!
Old 04-03-2008, 01:12 PM

"During this week in 1910, Congress passed an act that forever waived tuition for Native American students at Fort Lewis College in Durango, Colorado. Today, the four year college has an American Indian Studies major, Native student organizations and a Native American Center."

from National Native News www.nativenews.net
Old 04-07-2008, 08:41 PM

Quote:
looks like you know a lot about your heritage to me

Welcome!!!
Thank you for the welcome! I do know a little, I know the tribes, I know some ancestors names, but I don't know a lot about rituals, beliefs, etc. I'd really love to know more so I can teach my kids about it. I kind of feel guilty for not knowing more when people ask me about it.
Old 04-07-2008, 11:18 PM

Quote:
"During this week in 1910, Congress passed an act that forever waived tuition for Native American students at Fort Lewis College in Durango, Colorado. Today, the four year college has an American Indian Studies major, Native student organizations and a Native American Center."

from National Native News www.nativenews.net
i'm not native but i go to this school
Old 04-08-2008, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alysmommy2004 View Post
Thank you for the welcome! I do know a little, I know the tribes, I know some ancestors names, but I don't know a lot about rituals, beliefs, etc. I'd really love to know more so I can teach my kids about it. I kind of feel guilty for not knowing more when people ask me about it.
my favorite book, which is a quote-a-day type book with a historical bit too for each day is :

"365 Days of Walking The Red Road - The Native American Path to Leading a Spiritual Life Every Day"
by Terri Jean

link
Old 04-08-2008, 04:12 PM

Hi, I didn't know this thread was here. I am half-Indian (Potawatomi and Cherokee) and live in Oklahoma, where our tribe was moved in 1868 from the Illinois - Indiana area near Lake Michigan.
We have a very active tribe with language classes, powwows every summer, health care and other things we've built with our own hands.
I'm very proud to be an Indian mama!
Old 04-08-2008, 04:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lissacamille View Post
Hi, I didn't know this thread was here. I am half-Indian (Potawatomi and Cherokee) and live in Oklahoma, where our tribe was moved in 1868 from the Illinois - Indiana area near Lake Michigan.
We have a very active tribe with language classes, powwows every summer, health care and other things we've built with our own hands.
I'm very proud to be an Indian mama!
Hey MAMA! I'm also Potawatomi and Sac & Fox, too. I attend the Sac & Fox powwows in Stroud every summer though. Welcome : )

~*Have more than you show, speak less than you know*~

Old 04-09-2008, 04:34 PM

Quote:
my favorite book, which is a quote-a-day type book with a historical bit too for each day is :

"365 Days of Walking The Red Road - The Native American Path to Leading a Spiritual Life Every Day"
by Terri Jean

link
Thank you so much! I will look into that.

User Tag List