Native American Mamas tribe - Page 20 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#571 of 598 Old 12-26-2008, 03:15 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shelvicious View Post
Hey, I'm Aniishanaabe from Northern Minnesota. I'm new to this forum.
Just stopping by to say hello to all the other Native moms.
Another northern MN mama popping back in- whereabouts?

To my husband I am wife, to my kids I am mother, but for myself I am just me.
we're : with and : and
#572 of 598 Old 12-29-2008, 02:24 PM

I'm from Nett Lake, but I am living in Blaine right now. After the baby is born in July, we are moving back up north, maybe Hibbing or Duluth.
#573 of 598 Old 01-07-2009, 04:03 PM

Racism in Waldorf Alphabet Book

Please let Bell Pond Books know that it is racist to place Native American people in the same category as objects and animals.

Bell Pond Books is the publisher of "Waldorf Alphabet Book". It is an alphabet picture book with an "Indian and two "Inuits" as part of the images for the letter "I". All other images in the book are of animals, objects, or of non human beings such as a mermaids and a gnome.
Imagine if we said "B" is for Black (with a black person
depicted e.g. with a Gangster Rap outfit?) "J" is for Jew (e.g. with a
Hassidic Jew depicted?). It does not read very well does it? This kind of objectification of Native Americans directs the young mind of the reader to view them as sub-human, etching a stereotype into their little psyche's that will shape how they view Native People's as they grow into adults. This has been an acceptable form of racism in American culture for years and it is time to stop it NOW.

What you can do

1. Email the CEO of Bell Pond Books and let him know that you want the images edited out or the book to stop being published all together.
Gene Gollogly gene@booklightinc.net
Here is a sample that you can copy and paste (or you can write your own letter)
Dear Mr Gollogly,
It has come to my attention that one of your publications, "Waldorf Alphabet Book" has racially inappropriate images of Native Americans in it. Due to the socially damaging impact of these images, I ask that you promptly edit out the images or stop publishing this book altogether.

2.Email the bookstores who carry this book and ask them to remove this item from their catalog.
Here is a sample that you can copy and paste:
It has come to my attention that one of the books that you carry in your store has racially inappropriate images of Native Americans in it.
It is titled "Waldorf Alphabet Book".

Under the letter "I " it depicts an "Indian" and two "Inuits". All other
images in the book are of animals and objects. This subtle form of racism
objectifies Native Americans making them like objects in the minds of the
young reader. Imagine if we said "B" is for Black (with a black person
Hassidic Jew depicted?). It does not read very well does it?

Due to the socially damaging impact of these images, I ask that you promptly
remove this book from your catalogue. These images are appropriate if all
the alphabets were depicted with people of various races, without using any
old clichés and stereotypes.

Due to the socially damaging impact of these images, I ask that you promptly remove this book from your catalog and help the world see all people as equal.

http://www.escapadedirect.com/contact.html

http://www.littlebits.com/product_in...em_number=L839
info@littlebits.com

http://www.spiritualityandpractice.c...s.php?id=15643
brussat@spiritualityandpractice.com

http://www.blueberryforest.com/readi...habet-book.htm
customerservice@blueberryforest.com

http://www.palumba.com/product/107
hello@palumba.com

http://www.overstock.com/Books-Movie...i_sku=10625960
feedback@overstock.com

3.Make online review of this book

4.Boycott the book

5.Share this email with others.

I have corresponded with Gene Gollogly CEO of Bell Pond Books about this matter. The response was no. If you would like to see the origianl correspondence with him let me know and I will gladly email it to you.
Thank you
Mary Betsellie

Medium Sessions, Psychic Readings, Astrology Consultations and Mother Blessings www.magicalmoongarden.com
#574 of 598 Old 01-08-2009, 05:58 AM

In 1999 a Native American writer, born fragile and poor on a destitute Indian reservation, published an essay, "The Blood Runs like a River Through My Dreams," in Esquire. It earned a National Magazine Award nomination and was later expanded into a memoir of the same title that became a finalist for a PEN/Martha Albrand Award. That rez-to-riches tale of courage and redemption sounds like a Horatio Alger story, doesn't it? It should be a movie. Or at least an episode of A&E's Biography. Of course, I'm biased, because, well, it's my story. Kind of.

I did not write "The Blood Runs like a River Through My Dreams." But raised fragile and poor on the destitute Spokane Indian Reservation in Washington State, I published a story, This Is What It Means to Say Phoenix, Arizona, in Esquire in 1993. My story, which features an autobiographical character named Thomas Builds-the-Fire who suffers a brain injury at birth and experiences visionary seizures into his adulthood, was a finalist for a National Magazine Award and the basis for the film Smoke Signals, which won the Audience Award at Sundance in 1998.

Nasdijj, the one-name author of The Blood Runs like a River Through My Dreams, claimed to be the son of a Navajo mother and a white father. His memoir features a child named Tommy Nothing Fancy who suffers from and dies of a seizure disorder. Quite the coincidence, don't you think?

Of course, after reading Nasdijj's essay and book, I suspected that he was a literary thief and a liar. As a Native American writer and multiculturalist, I worried that Nasdijj was a talented and angry white man who was writing as a Native American in order to mock multicultural literature. I imagined that he would eventually reveal himself as a hoaxer and shout, "You see, people, there is nothing real or authentic about multicultural literature. Anybody can write it."

Angry, competitive, saddened, self-righteous and more than a little jealous that this guy was stealing some of my autobiographical thunder, I approached Nasdijj's publishers and told them his book not only was borderline plagiarism but also failed to mention specific tribal members, clans, ceremonies and locations, all of which are vital to the concept of Indian identity. They took me seriously, but they didn't believe me.

And how do I feel now that the author of an investigative story in L.A. Weekly believes that Nasdijj is a fraud and actually a white writer named Timothy Barrus? Vindicated? Well, sure. I dream of leaving "I told you so" messages on many voice mails, although unlike James Frey's publisher, who initially supported his lies and moral evasions about his exaggerated memoir, A Million Little Pieces, Nasdijj's publisher dropped him because of personality conflicts even before the L.A. Weekly story came out. Of course, Frey has sold millions of books and will probably sell a few million more. Nasdijj hasn't sold millions of books, and he will probably fade into obscurity. In response to the L.A. Weekly story, Nasdijj posted a rambling statement on his blog saying that people should pay attention to "real scandals" like poverty.

So why should we be concerned about his lies? His lies matter because he has cynically co-opted as a literary style the very real suffering endured by generations of very real Indians because of very real injustices caused by very real American aggression that destroyed very real tribes. He isn't the first to do it. In 1991 the American Booksellers Association gave its book-of-the-year award to Forrest Carter's Cherokee-themed memoir, The Education of Little Tree, despite the documented fact that Carter was really Asa Carter, a rabid segregationist and the author of George Wallace's infamous war cry, "Segregation today! Segregation tomorrow! Segregation forever!"

I can only hope that Nasdijj's readers will look to Oprah for inspiration. After initially defending the essential truth of Frey's memoir, a selection for her book club, Oprah changed her mind, admitted that she had been duped, invited Frey back onto her show and called him a liar. When was the last time a public figure like Oprah admitted to being wrong? When was the last time a powerful person like Oprah issued a genuine public apology? I think all the people who profited from Nasdijj's fraud should take heed of that lesson and issue public apologies to Native Americans in general and to Navajo in particular. And I hope we won't be waiting for that apology as long as the rivers flow, the grasses grow and the winds blow.

-- Sherman Alexie, a member of the Spokane tribe, is the author of 17 books, including Ten Little Indians, his latest
#575 of 598 Old 01-09-2009, 12:39 AM

You know, now that I think about it...Abeka does the SAME THING. Hmmm....doubt I could get them to listen though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mamapits View Post
Racism in Waldorf Alphabet Book

Please let Bell Pond Books know that it is racist to place Native American people in the same category as objects and animals.

Bell Pond Books is the publisher of "Waldorf Alphabet Book". It is an alphabet picture book with an "Indian and two "Inuits" as part of the images for the letter "I". All other images in the book are of animals, objects, or of non human beings such as a mermaids and a gnome.
Imagine if we said "B" is for Black (with a black person
Hassidic Jew depicted?). It does not read very well does it? This kind of objectification of Native Americans directs the young mind of the reader to view them as sub-human, etching a stereotype into their little psyche's that will shape how they view Native People's as they grow into adults. This has been an acceptable form of racism in American culture for years and it is time to stop it NOW.

What you can do

1. Email the CEO of Bell Pond Books and let him know that you want the images edited out or the book to stop being published all together.
Gene Gollogly gene@booklightinc.net
Here is a sample that you can copy and paste (or you can write your own letter)
Dear Mr Gollogly,
It has come to my attention that one of your publications, "Waldorf Alphabet Book" has racially inappropriate images of Native Americans in it. Due to the socially damaging impact of these images, I ask that you promptly edit out the images or stop publishing this book altogether.

2.Email the bookstores who carry this book and ask them to remove this item from their catalog.
Here is a sample that you can copy and paste:
It has come to my attention that one of the books that you carry in your store has racially inappropriate images of Native Americans in it.
It is titled "Waldorf Alphabet Book".

Under the letter "I " it depicts an "Indian" and two "Inuits". All other
images in the book are of animals and objects. This subtle form of racism
objectifies Native Americans making them like objects in the minds of the
young reader. Imagine if we said "B" is for Black (with a black person
Hassidic Jew depicted?). It does not read very well does it?

Due to the socially damaging impact of these images, I ask that you promptly
remove this book from your catalogue. These images are appropriate if all
the alphabets were depicted with people of various races, without using any
old clichés and stereotypes.

Due to the socially damaging impact of these images, I ask that you promptly remove this book from your catalog and help the world see all people as equal.

http://www.escapadedirect.com/contact.html

http://www.littlebits.com/product_in...em_number=L839
info@littlebits.com

http://www.spiritualityandpractice.c...s.php?id=15643
brussat@spiritualityandpractice.com

http://www.blueberryforest.com/readi...habet-book.htm
customerservice@blueberryforest.com

http://www.palumba.com/product/107
hello@palumba.com

http://www.overstock.com/Books-Movie...i_sku=10625960
feedback@overstock.com

3.Make online review of this book

4.Boycott the book

5.Share this email with others.

I have corresponded with Gene Gollogly CEO of Bell Pond Books about this matter. The response was no. If you would like to see the origianl correspondence with him let me know and I will gladly email it to you.
Thank you
Mary Betsellie

Orthodox Mama
#576 of 598 Old 01-09-2009, 03:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shelvicious View Post
Hey, I'm Aniishanaabe from Northern Minnesota. I'm new to this forum.
Just stopping by to say hello to all the other Native moms.
Boozhoo, I'm Anishinaabe too. I'm somewhere in southern Ontario.
#577 of 598 Old 01-09-2009, 01:55 PM

Welcome!
#578 of 598 Old 02-17-2009, 06:10 AM

My grandmother says we are Apache as well, but that cannot be proven.

happy family!joy.gif we winner.jpgfemalesling.GIFnocirc.gif

#579 of 598 Old 02-24-2009, 02:02 PM

I have a question that maybe you ladies can help me with. First of all, my name is Nina. My grandmother is Cherokee. Her family left the reservation and settled in the mountains of TN. I have been recently exploring shamanism. I had my power animal retrieved by a shaman last night and I am unable to find the meaning of the animal. She was somewhat stumped too- she said she has never seen this animal in retrieval before.

My power animal is a blue ox with really, really long horns.

I would really appreciate any assistance with this.

thank you so much :-)
#580 of 598 Old 02-25-2009, 04:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~threemoons~ View Post
I have a question that maybe you ladies can help me with. First of all, my name is Nina. My grandmother is Cherokee. Her family left the reservation and settled in the mountains of TN. I have been recently exploring shamanism. I had my power animal retrieved by a shaman last night and I am unable to find the meaning of the animal. She was somewhat stumped too- she said she has never seen this animal in retrieval before.

My power animal is a blue ox with really, really long horns.

I would really appreciate any assistance with this.

thank you so much :-)
Ok, am I the only one to think of "Paul Bunyan and Babe" when you said that? What an odd power animal! Awesome too I would love to be able to find my totem. I *think* it might be a bear, but not sure.
Ayway, I hope you can find an answer to that. Maybe my sort of answer helped? Who knows Good luck !

waiting on the power of the three wolf moon. 
#581 of 598 Old 04-04-2009, 11:06 PM

My mom tells me that my father has Apache and Cheyenne in him. That doesn't give me much, but I still feel like I'm part NA.

Katreena, peace.gif 39 year old Alaskan treehugger.gif Mama to 1 hearts.gif and 1 lady.gif gd.gif

#582 of 598 Old 05-21-2009, 02:40 AM

Hi I am Sarah lee I am half Arapaho and Shoshoni, my daddy is full blooded.
I am 23 and a married mommy of 4 beautiful children.
#583 of 598 Old 09-09-2009, 03:44 AM - Thread Starter

I haven't checked in here for a while. Hope everyone is well!
Panquetzani likes this.
#584 of 598 Old 09-29-2009, 01:49 AM - Thread Starter

Fall pow wows, anyone?

The economy has seemed to have an affect as there hasn't been any new events scheduled around this area, though the old ones seem to be hanging in there. There just isn't that many of them. Spring seems to be busier for some reason (used to be the other way around!).
#585 of 598 Old 11-07-2009, 09:34 PM - Thread Starter

Just wanted to remind everyone about Oyate. It's a great website that you can share with your teachers (or fellow homeschoolers) as a resource for choosing books that are both based in fact and respectful.

Hope you all are well!
#586 of 598 Old 11-09-2009, 12:58 PM

VERY good link! I ended up keeping my DS home on 'christopher columbus day' since we don't view the guy with any amount of respect.
#587 of 598 Old 12-20-2009, 04:24 AM

Manitoba Cree, "adopted" Anishinaabe (Saulteaux foster mom carried a pipe, a drum and a turtle rattle), checking in.
Presently living halfway across the continent, trying to figure out how to keep my culture in my children while surrounded by the dominant North American culture. It was a huge culture shock for me to move here and not many get why so many people I know are dying so young. I mean, I don't get "why" either but I know the statistics, yk?
Anyway, happy to have found you all.

Any Bear clan hiding in here?

Wife of Michael , SAHM to Aristotle 09/99 Raphael 06/07 and Marius 05/09 Known only in dreams but never forgotten: Euphrates Decluttering 290/2010
#588 of 598 Old 12-23-2009, 09:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Bear's Mama View Post
Fall pow wows, anyone?

The economy has seemed to have an affect as there hasn't been any new events scheduled around this area, though the old ones seem to be hanging in there. There just isn't that many of them. Spring seems to be busier for some reason (used to be the other way around!).
We went to one here on Oahu back in Sept. It was great, there were some Navajo who flew over from NM.My mom was here and we all danced in the circle.My daughter wants to go back and at least once a week asks to go to "Pow Wow".
I don't know when the next one will but usually they have more on the big island.

joy.gifme, herding 5 critters a cat and a dog. DS 11/01, DS 10/04, DD 2/06, DS 5/07 and DD 9/10

#589 of 598 Old 12-27-2009, 04:18 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Hi Mamas,

It's been ages (well, years! ) since I last posted. Just wanted to say a quick tansi to everyone out there.

We've moved to Australia since I last checked in. My husband got a job offer here and since we figured well...why not try it out...here we are with both kids in tow.

You wouldn't believe what I had to go through in terms of bureaucracy to bring my eagle feathers with me. Local permit, Canadian export permit, Australian import permit. And we were not allowed to transit through the US at all because of the laws there. So, we had some clever routing of our flights to avoid any US stops.

But here we are. It's quite a change from home, but we're slowly getting settled--we've been here 4 months now.

I'm hoping to find a part-time consulting job with some of the local Aboriginal tribal councils. I have a MA in cultural Anthropology and I see ads online every 6 weeks or so looking for researchers to help with land claims. I'd love to help out in some way as the situation here isn't great and there seems to be a strong level of "socially tolerated acceptable" racism that I didn't see as much in Canada (it was there too, but not to the same degree).

Anyway, wishing you all the best and I'll be back to check in more often

Mother to DD#1  s/b @40w 2003 for unknown reasons; DD#2   9.5 years old; DS  6 years old 
  Why are daughters protected but not sons?

#590 of 598 Old 01-01-2010, 06:01 PM

Hey everyone- this is my first post on Mothering.
I'm Kathryn (or Mokek Kwe, Sunrise Woman) and I'm married to Clay and mommy to 9 month old Eleanor. My daughter and I are both Citizen Band Potawatomi (the southernmost of the Potawatomi bands). It's refreshing to see lots of Native AP mamas
#591 of 598 Old 01-10-2010, 07:43 PM

I'm still new to posting. I'm a Alaska Native, Tlingit here! Glad to see other Native moms.
#592 of 598 Old 01-11-2010, 01:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kathryn770 View Post
I'm Kathryn (or Mokek Kwe, Sunrise Woman) and I'm married to Clay and mommy to 9 month old Eleanor. My daughter and I are both Citizen Band Potawatomi (the southernmost of the Potawatomi bands). It's refreshing to see lots of Native AP mamas
welcome!!!
#593 of 598 Old 01-11-2010, 01:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cherry_Milan View Post
I'm still new to posting. I'm a Alaska Native, Tlingit here! Glad to see other Native moms.
welcome!!
#594 of 598 Old 02-21-2011, 05:57 PM

Boozhoo everyone and kathryn770,

I just recently came back to MDC after a break. I find that I come here more when I'm pregnant and wanting to connect with a Due Date Club. I'm due in August with my 4th child. I finally received my name a couple of months ago, it's Bineshii Ngamakwe (Bird Singing Woman).

Kathryn770, I'm Anishinaabe from Ontario. There is some Potawatomi in my family too, mostly on my dad's side. In my community there are no fluent Potawatomi speakers left. But, there are some of their words that we use as our predominant word (ex. Mandoozit for witch).

Quote:
Originally Posted by kathryn770 View Post

#595 of 598 Old 04-29-2011, 10:34 AM

Woo hoo! Found my tribe! So nice to meet like minded mamas. I am Coahuilteca and Tlaxcalteca Here's my blog: http://indigenousmother.blogspot.com/

#596 of 598 Old 05-27-2011, 12:50 PM

Hello- I am excited and nervous to find this tribe. Here goes.

I trace my lineage through my mother- Her parents were English (all the way back to the original Jamestown settlers) with a bit of mixed native blood and her mother was blackfoot and english. My grandmother's grandmother left the reservation with her white husband and moved to the east coast.  Her daughter (my grandmothers mother) died when my grandmother was young, and as a result, my grandmother was raised by a white aunt.  My grandmother denys being Native at all, but other relatives told my mother the stories and taught her a few things. We have never been affiliated with a tribe.  When I was young (12) my family moved from the east coast to Wisconsin, and i grew up on a reservation there.  I was tormented by the other native kids in my school whenever I mentioned my background,  who said that because I was not Menominee or Stockbridge, I wasnt a real indian, and how could I be white and Indian too (um, genetics folks?) and then was daily asked by clerks and store owners for my tribal number, because they thought I was a member.  I grew up going to pow wow  and wanting to fit into a tribe that wasnt even mine, and being really confused.  When I was an older teenager, my mother and my aunt (they raised me together) who had previously been quite shamanistic, thought from books and not from being taught in the real ways, became born again Christians, and stoped talking about our history and ethnicity.  I am now still a christian, but I am not anywhere near mainstream Christianity. (I have tattoos and piercings and have had dreads several times)

This all led to me being very nervous to talk about my history, or to research it or own it very much.  I constantly feel like I am being a poser or not genuine. But I feel it.  Last summer my husband and daughter and I took a road trip to Glacier Nat. Park to visit some friends who were working there.  Without even really thinking about the location.  We drove through the Blackfoot reservation, we camped on the mountains that were sacred to my grandmothers' people.  I felt like, like I was at home.  Like I could lay down on the ground and never need to move again, like I could feel my soul and my physical body being at peace (I have never felt at home my entire life, my family moved so much, every year and a half and had such confusion about my geneology) and at rest. It was amazing.  

So that led me to wanting to reconnect. and try again at being a part. 

SO, here I am.....

HI.

I live in Michigan, with a lovely husband who is Scottish, Welsh and a tiny bit Blackfoot himself.   my daughter is 2 (next week) and we live in the city on a tiny wanna be urban farm.

#597 of 598 Old 06-16-2011, 05:30 PM

Camaii!  Greetings!  Wow, Little Bear's Mama, is this one of the longest living threads on the forum??? I've been away for years myself..... I'm a member of the Alutiiq tribe of Alaska.  Eldest daughters are turning 23 and 20 this month!  They homeschooled most of 16 years, well, 'world-schooled' really.  Now the eldest is a junior at Yale and the middle daughter a sophomore at Bowdoin, youngest at a public middle school.  We moved back to the US from Ireland -- I will say, Ireland felt like a huge rez!  Hugs to all the Native mamas!  [smiley w/ feather]

#598 of 598 Old 10-13-2012, 07:55 PM

is this thread active? 

xo

s

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page