Women of Color #12 - Page 13 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 08-27-2008, 10:18 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I didn't watch, but wanted to tell jeca:

Hey, if it works for you and your family, don't worry about it. We live in a society that pushes individuality, even at the expense of our kids. Obviously, you have a job. Several. If people don't like what you're doing, feel free to start asking them for money. Seriously. Next time someone claims you need a real job, tell them if they're that worried about your income (b/c that's got to be the only reason you'd need a real job), they can begin with a $100/week donation.

Obviously, I'm a smartass, but you know...it offsets the dumbassery.

Yes, yes.  I'm fabulous. loveeyes.gif  Moving on...

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-28-2008, 12:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by princesstutu View Post
I didn't watch, but wanted to tell jeca:

Hey, if it works for you and your family, don't worry about it. We live in a society that pushes individuality, even at the expense of our kids. Obviously, you have a job. Several. If people don't like what you're doing, feel free to start asking them for money. Seriously. Next time someone claims you need a real job, tell them if they're that worried about your income (b/c that's got to be the only reason you'd need a real job), they can begin with a $100/week donation.

Obviously, I'm a smartass, but you know...it offsets the dumbassery.
I love this!!!

afro.jpg
Old 08-28-2008, 12:59 AM

Hi. I usually hang out in the NMY tribe but I saw this and I thought I'd come over and introduce myself. I'm a young professional in New Jersey and besides my "day" job I also do CBE and I run a very new doula agency. I've been lurking for a few days and I'm loving the conversation.

About me: I'm single and don't have any kids. Hopefully that will change at some point. In the meantime, I'm just living life

I used to hang out at Nappturality too, but like a pp said, I've been natural for a while now and don't feel a need to post as often anymore so my posting there is very sporadic. I still point friends/acquaintances towards the site though if they are even just thinking about going natural because I think it's a really great resource when you're just starting out.

I always wonder if people are suprised to see me after speaking to me on the phone or seeing my resume but I haven't ever knowingly had to deal with any ignorant people. I've had the afro pic in my sig for months now. I didn't put it there to "out" myself though- I put it there because it was the only smilie that really represented me. Most of the other smilies people usually use like the pregnant one, the babywearing one, the breastfeeding have nothing to do with my life at the moment. So, I stick to the afro.
Old 08-28-2008, 02:37 AM

lol - we should start a thread ON nappturality about how come none of us are posting at nappturality anymore!

like most of youse goiys, 14 yrs into the nappy game i do not share the same rush and thrill of discovery as most members of np. but will forever have a fondness in my heart for that site for helping educate me about proper hair care, helping me find some great online friendships which persist to this day, encouraging me to launch my product line (!!) and continuing to serve as a huge resource and community to so many. yay, nappturality! i point people there all the time.

@ kimiij
Old 08-28-2008, 03:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeca View Post
OT, I currently WOH very very part time for our outreach program. It's about 8 hours a week. Now that all my kidlets are in school full time I am getting the when are you getting a real full time job speech. I don't know what to say to this. .............. I haven't had a day just to myself yet despite the kids being in school it always seems like I have something else to do or DH will be home bothering me, lol. So what do you think, is it time for a job? DH doens't care either way.
what a wonderful position to be in! the whole world is open to you and you really can do whatever you like, with full support from your DH and family. so... what do you want to do? do you feel the desire to add [paying] work to what seems like an already full schedule? if so, go for it. if not, and you really just are looking for something to say to folks when they ask you... how about...

1. when i get some free time, maybe
2. if i get laid off of my current full time job; you know times are hard and i may get downsized at my kids' next board meeting
3. when you get out of my business.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ishereal View Post
wow. Did we grow up in the same house??? Everyone in family when ever introducing me to someone always says "this is shay, she's natural" I roll my eyes, why can't I just be shay?
aww. ((hugs.)) it's because they are trying to get their heads around all the ways you do things that are different from how they do things. maybe them introducing you like that is an indication that they are starting to at least accept your difference, even if they may not understand it or agree with your choices to your face, they are 'explaining' you to outsiders and probably feeling a little bit of pride about you. at least that is the hope, no?

and this:
Quote:
They always patronize me by saying they "gone give my baby some real food", like my bm is not enough and he is a 20 solid pounds by mere chance lol.
oh.my.GOSH -- 20 pounds!!?? what a big boy! and i thought kaiju was big at 16!
Old 08-28-2008, 05:38 PM

I'm at work and I cannot focus to save my life! Maybe the so-called "pregnancy brain" is kicking in? I just keep surfing MDC. I bought a Bella Band online earlier today. I am trying not to update my registry...I need to be stopped!

Bloomingstar Mommy to DS born 1.16.09 :
Old 08-28-2008, 05:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimiij View Post

Hi. I usually hang out in the NMY tribe but I saw this and I thought I'd come over and introduce myself. I'm a young professional in New Jersey and besides my "day" job I also do CBE and I run a very new doula agency. I've been lurking for a few days and I'm loving the conversation.

About me: I'm single and don't have any kids. Hopefully that will change at some point. In the meantime, I'm just living life

I used to hang out at Nappturality too, but like a pp said, I've been natural for a while now and don't feel a need to post as often anymore so my posting there is very sporadic. I still point friends/acquaintances towards the site though if they are even just thinking about going natural because I think it's a really great resource when you're just starting out.

I always wonder if people are suprised to see me after speaking to me on the phone or seeing my resume but I haven't ever knowingly had to deal with any ignorant people. I've had the afro pic in my sig for months now. I didn't put it there to "out" myself though- I put it there because it was the only smilie that really represented me. Most of the other smilies people usually use like the pregnant one, the babywearing one, the breastfeeding have nothing to do with my life at the moment. So, I stick to the afro.
Hey there. I've seen you on other threads. I'm glad you've joined our tribe!:

Quote:
Originally Posted by oyinmama View Post
lol - we should start a thread ON nappturality about how come none of us are posting at nappturality anymore!

like most of youse goiys, 14 yrs into the nappy game i do not share the same rush and thrill of discovery as most members of np. but will forever have a fondness in my heart for that site for helping educate me about proper hair care, helping me find some great online friendships which persist to this day, encouraging me to launch my product line (!!) and continuing to serve as a huge resource and community to so many. yay, nappturality! i point people there all the time.

@ kimiij
Omgoodness did that crack me up. My sister and I always feign that New York/South Philly accent using those same words!!! I am also a Napputurality graduate!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bloomingstar View Post
I'm at work and I cannot focus to save my life! Maybe the so-called "pregnancy brain" is kicking in? I just keep surfing MDC. I bought a Bella Band online earlier today. I am trying not to update my registry...I need to be stopped!
Relax. There's always tomorrow and trust me, the work will still be there!!

afro.jpg
Old 08-28-2008, 06:00 PM

ello ladies,

new to the tribe but not to the site...married to my very best friend of thirteen years...and together we have three wonderful children.
Old 08-28-2008, 06:40 PM

: Another Nappturality grad here, did anyone post on the earlier Black Hair Care board? I beleive it pre-dated Dee's board, it was there for a while and then one day just disappeared. I am have been natural 8 almost 9 years so for the most part I don't talk hair.

Admittedly living in Maine, sometimes I juat wanna talk with sistas so I do check in at Nappturality.

Shay

Mothering since 1992...its one of the many hats I wear.
Old 08-28-2008, 06:53 PM

ummm...i'm "nappy" too.
Old 08-28-2008, 07:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by I-AM-Mother View Post
ello ladies,

new to the tribe but not to the site...married to my very best friend of thirteen years...and together we have three wonderful children.
Welcome, welcome!! Our little tribe is growing:

afro.jpg
Old 08-28-2008, 07:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shayinme View Post
: Another Nappturality grad here, did anyone post on the earlier Black Hair Care board? I beleive it pre-dated Dee's board, it was there for a while and then one day just disappeared. I am have been natural 8 almost 9 years so for the most part I don't talk hair.

Admittedly living in Maine, sometimes I juat wanna talk with sistas so I do check in at Nappturality.

Shay
Shay, you totally get a pass for Nappturality. If I lived in Maine, I'd be hanging out there on a regular!

afro.jpg
Old 08-28-2008, 08:42 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Yea, im on nappturality too....i cant say that im a grad, because i still like to post there, but usually not about hair, lol.

NMY actively making my dreams happen :
Old 08-28-2008, 09:22 PM

Hehe - I'm on NP too, but a very infrequent poster. Now that I've found the 'New Posts' button though, I might be on more often, wandering around the other sections. How's the parenting area?
: I'm hairmad, though, so I'm on most of the hair boards, I think.

The mystery of life isn't a problem to solve, but a reality to experience.
| @jovialady is Kiya ~ TTC 3 years & counting for a ~ Connsumte BookDragon|
Old 08-28-2008, 11:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustKiya View Post
Hehe - I'm on NP too, but a very infrequent poster. Now that I've found the 'New Posts' button though, I might be on more often, wandering around the other sections. How's the parenting area?
: I'm hairmad, though, so I'm on most of the hair boards, I think.
Eh, most of the time, the children and parenting section leaves something to be desired. But its cool. Right now, there is a lively thread on boys and circumcision.

Old 08-29-2008, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brown Lioness View Post
Eh, most of the time, the children and parenting section leaves something to be desired. But its cool. Right now, there is a lively thread on boys and circumcision.
I saw that, and I've been avoiding it - it's so heartbreaking to me - how's it going?

Old 08-29-2008, 03:00 PM

YES WE CAN! YES WE CAN! :

heh ok. I am again at work, and you're right, purplegirl, the work is still here! But what a great moment last night!

Bloomingstar Mommy to DS born 1.16.09 :
Old 08-29-2008, 03:41 PM

Quote:
But what a great moment last night!
Everytime I think about last night my eyes become a little misty.

+ + =
Old 08-29-2008, 05:47 PM
ajv

i just wanted to relate a funny story about not being what others expect when they meet you. when i livee in new mexico, worked from home, i would do legal guardianships thru the mail and over the phone, when it came time for court, i would tell my clients (whom i had never met in person), "okay, i will see you at judge so and so's office, i am a large african american woman " and because it was new mexico, and i new all the other black attorneys, i was pretty confident i would be the only aa woman at the courthouse that day.

anyway, one time i said this to my client and she said "So, am I!" I was shocked, i said, so are you what? she said, I am a large african american woman, too. I had no clue. WE had a wonderful time after that!!!
Old 08-29-2008, 06:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustKiya View Post
I saw that, and I've been avoiding it - it's so heartbreaking to me - how's it going?

Its going, eh. Its about half and half, but to me, the OP seems to be swaying towards doing it, but at least she's informed, right?

ajv, I thought you were gonna say when your client arrived, there just so happened to be a large-african-american woman's group there at the same time so they went through the whole building asking each woman if they were you

Old 08-29-2008, 07:08 PM

Quote:
YES WE CAN! YES WE CAN! :

heh ok. I am again at work, and you're right, purplegirl, the work is still here! But what a great moment last night!
Told ya

Barack was awesome last night--very inspirational!

afro.jpg
Old 08-30-2008, 12:22 AM

I never EVER post pics of me. Feeling a crazy mood tonight, though, so here goes. My friend several states away keeps hounding me for belly pics, so I finally took some today.

Pardon the painty mirror and cans of paint around. Almost done with that room; so far it's the best room in the house for taking pics, and that's really sad considering it's condition...

http://s61.photobucket.com/albums/h5...ent=belly2.jpg
Old 08-30-2008, 12:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gabysmom617 View Post
I never EVER post pics of me. Feeling a crazy mood tonight, though, so here goes. My friend several states away keeps hounding me for belly pics, so I finally took some today.

Pardon the painty mirror and cans of paint around. Almost done with that room; so far it's the best room in the house for taking pics, and that's really sad considering it's condition...

http://s61.photobucket.com/albums/h5...ent=belly2.jpg
omg. you are adorable!

eta: your boy is gorgeous too! sweettttt!

afro.jpg
Old 08-30-2008, 12:37 AM

Thanks. You made me blush.
Old 08-30-2008, 01:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by purplegirl View Post
omg. you are adorable!
Had to pop in for a :
Lisa, you have been around forever and I have never seen a pic of you. I think it's time you fixed that. BTW, I made it an entire season and still never tasted a strawberry. :
Old 09-01-2008, 09:34 PM

Mamas, we actually thought about this and wanted to give you a choice to stay in FYT or move to the multicultural forum. If you all could come to a consensus and PM me if you want to move, that would be great!

Flowers, fairies, gardens, and rainbows-- Seasons of Joy: 10 weeks of crafts, handwork, painting, coloring, circle time, fairy tales, and more!
Check out the blog for family fun, homeschooling, books, simple living, and 6 fabulous children, including twin toddlers

Old 09-02-2008, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeca View Post
Had to pop in for a :
Lisa, you have been around forever and I have never seen a pic of you. I think it's time you fixed that. BTW, I made it an entire season and still never tasted a strawberry. :
Just because you asked
me!me!me!

Sorry about your attempt at growing strawberries

afro.jpg
Old 09-02-2008, 12:44 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
omg. you are adorable!

eta: your boy is gorgeous too! sweettttt!
:

I've had a very long week. I"m tired. WHen I got back here, I couldn't post to this thread.

The multicultural forum.... hm. Nobody knows it exists, first off. Secondly, I don't think that all of our families are, in fact, multicultural. Mine is, but a black woman married to a black man raising black children probably doesn't feel any more multicultural than a white woman married to a white man raising white children. Is "multicultural" a word that's supposed to mean "anyone who's not white?" That's kind of... off, in my opinion. Just my take on it, though, and I'm very tired so forgive me if I'm not articulating well.

Rynna, Mama to Bean (8), Boobah (6), Bella (4) and Bear (2)
Old 09-02-2008, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eilonwy View Post
:

I've had a very long week. I"m tired. WHen I got back here, I couldn't post to this thread.

The multicultural forum.... hm. Nobody knows it exists, first off. Secondly, I don't think that all of our families are, in fact, multicultural. Mine is, but a black woman married to a black man raising black children probably doesn't feel any more multicultural than a white woman married to a white man raising white children. Is "multicultural" a word that's supposed to mean "anyone who's not white?" That's kind of... off, in my opinion. Just my take on it, though, and I'm very tired so forgive me if I'm not articulating well.
You summed up my feelings quite well! I vote for us to stay right here.

afro.jpg
Old 09-02-2008, 01:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eilonwy View Post
:

Quote:
You summed up my feelings quite well! I vote for us to stay right here.
I totally agree. I'm happy being a tribe. *nod*

User Tag List