Women of Color #12 - Page 5 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#121 of 2776 Old 06-02-2008, 09:22 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I loved New Mexico when I visited years ago. It was super cool to, wake up to snow and by noon, it was hot. It is beautiful country for sure!

afro.jpg
#122 of 2776 Old 06-17-2008, 02:45 PM

Hey everyone! I just found out that I am pregnant on 5/22/08 and I am due October 15th!

So yeah I spent half of my first pregnancy not even knowing I was pregnant. It's a boy and me and DP are pretty stoked about it among the feelings of anxiety, fear, etc...

I just wanted to say hey to all the mommies and mommies to be of color!
#123 of 2776 Old 06-17-2008, 03:14 PM - Thread Starter

Welcome, Arike!

I have to ask... how does that happen?! I've got four kids and even the first time, I was pretty sure early on... with the other three, I knew before the pregnancy test.

Rynna, Mama to Bean (8), Boobah (6), Bella (4) and Bear (2)
#124 of 2776 Old 06-17-2008, 03:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arike View Post
Hey everyone! I just found out that I am pregnant on 5/22/08 and I am due October 15th!

So yeah I spent half of my first pregnancy not even knowing I was pregnant. It's a boy and me and DP are pretty stoked about it among the feelings of anxiety, fear, etc...

Welcome Arike. I hope you will share your journey with us.
Hey Rynna. It's always good to hear from you. Hope everyone else is doing well.

afro.jpg
#125 of 2776 Old 06-17-2008, 04:38 PM

Welcome, Arike!

In case you haven't found it yet on these boards, check out your "Due Date Club" in the "I'm Pregnant" forum... lots of info and support to be had there.
#126 of 2776 Old 06-17-2008, 09:44 PM

Thanks purplegirl and xochimama for the greetings and welcome! I will defintely check out those suggested forums!
#127 of 2776 Old 06-19-2008, 10:34 AM

Hello Sisterfriends,

I haven't been online much in the last month or so(and won't be online much for the next month or so!)but I wanted to say howdy!
I hope that everyone is doing well.
I also wanted to say to Arike:
!WELCOME TO THE TRIBE!
I hope to see many more posts from you!
Well, that's all that I have time for now. I hope to come back soon to write more.

*..· ´¨¨)) -:¦:-
¸.·´ .·´¨¨))
((¸¸.·´ ..·´ Peace, Love & Light!-:¦:-
-:¦:- ((¸¸.·´*

Take Care,
Erika(I don't wear a fro, I'm just a sister who likes this smilie!):

"Do not follow where the path may lead. Go instead where there is no path and leave a trail..."
"I am learning all the time, the tombstone will be my diploma"- Eartha Kitt
#128 of 2776 Old 06-20-2008, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eilonwy View Post
Welcome, Arike!

I have to ask... how does that happen?! I've got four kids and even the first time, I was pretty sure early on... with the other three, I knew before the pregnancy test.
Thanks everyone for the greetings and congrats! It's very shocking and I feel like my world is turning upside down and inside out but so far mostly everyone is really excited and supportive so that's been good. Just to preface this, I have polycystic ovarian syndrome and normally it is VERY difficult for women with this condition to get pregnant. My primary care physician was shocked but really happy because me being pregnant means that my body is healthy. I had absolutely NO symptoms up until maybe 2-3 weeks ago. No morning sickness or nausea. I have only gained 5-6 pounds. I am not really showing that much, just a little poochy belly. The only symptoms I have now is a varicose vein, frequent urination and the occasional heartburn(which only happens if I eat too much in one sitting, I have learned that for me, eating only when I am hungry and just enough to be satisfied but not stuffed is the best for me). I have been working out 5 times a week at the gym, lifting weights, doing intervals of running on the treadmill and spin classes. I also was rehearsing with the dance company I am in and we just had a series of 5 shows the first week of June and I pulled some LONG hours. All of this happening at 5 months. CRAZY! Anyway, I am embracing it all and just diving in head first! I am 23 weeks and me and my partner were in the middle of planning a wedding for next year when we found out. We are planning on having a small ceremony with our close friends at city hall with a nice dinner to follow. Next year we want to have a renewal of vows ceremony the way we dreamed of having our wedding. I never pictured we would have a little one running around at the ceremony! LOL!
#129 of 2776 Old 06-21-2008, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arike View Post

Arike and a big Congrats on the baby.
#130 of 2776 Old 07-08-2008, 09:39 PM

: Happy summer everyone!

afro.jpg
#131 of 2776 Old 07-09-2008, 02:48 AM - Thread Starter

The summer is... entirely insane. I'm working on it, though, and mostly having fun. Life with four kids is really difficult, especially when one is fettered (as Bear is, by bottles which of course must be kept cold or unmade... meh!). Hopefully things will get easier as life goes on. They do get easier, right?

#132 of 2776 Old 07-09-2008, 09:48 AM

It's so good to "see" you Rynna. :

afro.jpg
#133 of 2776 Old 07-19-2008, 01:50 PM

Hello Sisterfriends,

I haven't been here in quite a while so I thought I would pop in and say hello!
Lately, I have been spending all of my MDC time in the Politics forums. And let me tell you, being there is not for the faint of heart(or the thin skinned).
The members who post there are informed, witty, funny and very serious about this election cycle. It is a great place to get information about what's going on in the world of US presidential politics and it is also a good place to get your political questions answered(or at least, pointed in the right direction for the answers).
And my public service announcement for the day is that I hope that everyone here is registered to vote and if you are not, go first thing next week and register.
I hope that everyone is having a great summer, we have been enjoying ours here in CT.
Well, that's all that I have time for now. I hope that everyone has a great rest of the weekend.

*..· ´¨¨)) -:¦:-
¸.·´ .·´¨¨))
((¸¸.·´ ..·´ Peace, Love & Light!-:¦:-
-:¦:- ((¸¸.·´*

Take Care,
Erika(I don't wear a fro, I'm just a sister who likes this smilie!):

"Do not follow where the path may lead. Go instead where there is no path and leave a trail..."
"I am learning all the time, the tombstone will be my diploma"- Eartha Kitt
#134 of 2776 Old 07-20-2008, 12:26 AM - Thread Starter

I was actually kind of impressed that there were folks out registering voters in front of WalMart yesterday. I mean, on college campuses you can nearly always find them, but WalMart's where they actually *need* to be, you know?

Anyway, I don't visit that forum because... well, I have a sensitive tummy sometimes. I'd rather become informed without the spin, and I'd rather not get worked up and angry because it's bad for my karma.

#135 of 2776 Old 07-24-2008, 12:33 AM

Hey sistahfriends,
Just popping into say hi. I haven't been active here in a long while. Just curious to find out if anyone has been watching the Blacks in America series they are doing on CNN and what your thoughts or opinions are on many of the topics raised. One that intrigued me was more AA women are opting to stay single and wait for the perfect AA man than go outside the race.
blessings ladies~
#136 of 2776 Old 07-24-2008, 12:51 AM

Quote:
Anyway, I don't visit that forum because... well, I have a sensitive tummy sometimes. I'd rather become informed without the spin, and I'd rather not get worked up and angry because it's bad for my karma.
That is why I have left MDC off and on over the years. Sometimes I just can't stomach the place sometimes. Nothing new to report here DH is trying to finish his degree and it's stressing me out. If he's the one in school why am I always proof reading, typing and researching? My grammatical skills are greatly lacking but he asks anyway.
#137 of 2776 Old 07-24-2008, 02:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chanibell View Post
Hey sistahfriends,
Just popping into say hi. I haven't been active here in a long while. Just curious to find out if anyone has been watching the Blacks in America series they are doing on CNN and what your thoughts or opinions are on many of the topics raised. One that intrigued me was more AA women are opting to stay single and wait for the perfect AA man than go outside the race.
blessings ladies~

I missed the first half hour, but DP called me in when they were interviewing an older woman who is struggling to eat right living in a community where there is little to no access to healthy food.

I think each topic discussed can be broken down into separate two hour miniseries! Two hours was not enough time.

The one the struck me the most was the discussion about the HIV rate among AA women and that one in 20 AA in DC are HIV + I really had no idea that the HIV rate is so high in our community. I feel so clueless that I didn’t know.
#138 of 2776 Old 07-24-2008, 05:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chanibell View Post
Hey sistahfriends,
blessings ladies~

Hey girl!t is always good to see you.

I tivo'ed the show and can't wait to watch it. Just as a quick note, sisters need to be open minded when choosing a partner. I have so many beautiful, professional, intelligent single friends who are waiting on the perfect black man to come along.
*Heck* my sister is bugging me to get to the mall. More later.........

afro.jpg
#139 of 2776 Old 07-24-2008, 06:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by purplegirl View Post
Hey girl!t is always good to see you.

I tivo'ed the show and can't wait to watch it. Just as a quick note, sisters need to be open minded when choosing a partner. I have so many beautiful, professional, intelligent single friends who are waiting on the perfect black man to come along.
*Heck* my sister is bugging me to get to the mall. More later.........
ITA. I would still be single if I didnt branch out.

Though it saddens me that we are losing our brothers.
#140 of 2776 Old 07-24-2008, 07:57 PM - Thread Starter

I dont have cable. So... how long before you think the salient points will be on YouTube? :

#141 of 2776 Old 07-24-2008, 08:08 PM

Quote:
I dont have cable. So... how long before you think the salient points will be on YouTube? :
Good question! I have to miss most of tonight’s episode. I hope they at least to a rebroadcast.
#142 of 2776 Old 07-24-2008, 09:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by barose View Post
ITA. I would still be single if I didnt branch out.

Though it saddens me that we are losing our brothers.
It is very sad from a lot of perspectives.

afro.jpg
#143 of 2776 Old 07-25-2008, 12:43 AM - Thread Starter

I must say, I'm kind of conflicted about the whole thing. Anyone care to discuss? I'm sure that I'll rub people the wrong way, but that's not my intent... two parts of it would have to do with something that we discussed aaaages ago on this thread (the fact that most of this group consists of a very elite group of women, and the antagonism toward light-skinned black people), and those in and of themselves can be very sensitive subjects.

(I'm kind of paranoid about sensitive subjects these days, as I have been accused of harassment simply for asking questions ...I feel the need to walk on eggshells. )

#144 of 2776 Old 07-25-2008, 02:24 AM

Quote:
I must say, I'm kind of conflicted about the whole thing. Anyone care to discuss? I'm sure that I'll rub people the wrong way, but that's not my intent... two parts of it would have to do with something that we discussed aaaages ago on this thread (the fact that most of this group consists of a very elite group of women, and the antagonism toward light-skinned black people), and those in and of themselves can be very sensitive subjects.

(I'm kind of paranoid about sensitive subjects these days, as I have been accused of harassment simply for asking questions ...I feel the need to walk on eggshells. )
Can you explain what this means? I honestly dont know.
#145 of 2776 Old 07-25-2008, 02:57 AM - Thread Starter

The majority of the women here are elite --they're part of a minority within a minority. Their experiences don't reflect a lot of the most common aspects of "black life." :

#146 of 2776 Old 07-25-2008, 03:17 AM

OK. I think I understand what you mean now.

I admit I shied away from this thread for a while because I feared I wouldn't fit in. For some reason, I returned yesterday. Ill try to read several pages to get to know some of you better.
#147 of 2776 Old 07-25-2008, 09:48 AM

Posting on the go....
Colorism is still very much an issue in the black race and it goes both ways. I was so hoping that by the time I had children (yet to happen) or when my nieces and nephews got older, it would be passe. It is not and it is so frustrating.

afro.jpg
#148 of 2776 Old 07-25-2008, 11:25 AM

Quote:
The majority of the women here are elite --they're part of a minority within a minority. Their experiences don't reflect a lot of the most common aspects of "black life." :
I need things spelled out for me sometimes so I would prefer you just say what you mean. No grudges, promise. Are you reffering to the fact that some mamas on here are not married to black men? I did not see the show I don't watch much television.
#149 of 2776 Old 07-25-2008, 12:25 PM - Thread Starter

Oh, not that at all. No, it's more like... the demographic here is decidedly upper middle class. At least. I remember a few years ago we discussed home ownership in the black community, for example, and I was the only person who was renting. Someone (Erika?) had brought it up because they'd encountered a news article which asserted that home ownership was a relatively recent thing for most black homeowners, and that it was still not terribly common. Most of the women posting here have college educations, something else which doesn't reflect the majority of black women in this country. Being married *at all* doesn't reflect the experience of a significant proportion of black mothers. In any case, all those things might come into play if we were to take a serious look at the issue of black women (and men) marrying non-black folks.

#150 of 2776 Old 07-25-2008, 12:27 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by purplegirl View Post
Posting on the go....
Colorism is still very much an issue in the black race and it goes both ways. I was so hoping that by the time I had children (yet to happen) or when my nieces and nephews got older, it would be passe. It is not and it is so frustrating.
:

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page