Tattoo and Pierced Tribe II - Page 3 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#61 of 703 Old 05-13-2008, 03:19 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
what does Tatt #3 mean just wondering it looks really cool.
I wanted to get one on my back too does it hurt realllly bad the one on my leg didnt hurt at all.

vegan, *( . ) ( . )* wife to D and momma to peanut and monkey boy
#62 of 703 Old 05-13-2008, 03:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by clothdipemomof2boy View Post
I wanted to get one on my back too does it hurt realllly bad the one on my leg didnt hurt at all.
It's a Buddhist mantra written in Tibetan script-
om mani peme hung (or om mani padme hum depending on the region/pronunciation)

It doesn't have an exact meaning- lots of interpretations. But one I found described it as the 'jewel of the lotus' which stand for wisdom and compassion. So basically a mantra (prayer) for wisdom and compassion.

I chose my forearm since it is a part of my body that moves constantly- so it is like having it on a prayer wheel which is supposed to increase it's effects. Also, tattoos with mantras should only be placed on the upper half of your body- above the waist.

And no, before anyone asks, I'm not a practicing Buddhist, but I do believe in many Buddhist principles and think it's a beautiful religion.

Mom to DD1 (10/07) and DD2 (3/11)
geek.gif I blog about our life with food allergies and eosinophilic disorders.
#63 of 703 Old 05-13-2008, 05:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by clothdipemomof2boy View Post
Thats interesting most all of my friends are heavily tattooed and I have always heard the legs are very painful. So if you thought the leg was painless the back is probably a breeze. I did not find my upper back to be painful, except one small spot on my shoulder blades where it was practically tattooing bone.
#64 of 703 Old 05-13-2008, 11:29 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
I finally got around to getting a picture of my tattoo as it is right now. I'm about 12 hours into it, but I have a little ways to go. The banners will be filled in with the things I want to have in my life: love, trust, honor, faith, forgiveness, happiness, truth, lust, and joy. At the bottom will be anger and fear because those are things I've had to go through to achieve the things I want. There will be blue sky background and her hair will be filled in with red. I'm hoping I only have 2-3 hours to go.

http://pics.livejournal.com/rightkindofme/pic/0001ezt3

Does anyone know anything about getting tattoo work done while breastfeeding?

My advice may not be appropriate for you. That's ok. You are just fine how you are and I am the right kind of me.

#65 of 703 Old 05-13-2008, 11:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rightkindofme View Post
I finally got around to getting a picture of my tattoo as it is right now. I'm about 12 hours into it, but I have a little ways to go. The banners will be filled in with the things I want to have in my life: love, trust, honor, faith, forgiveness, happiness, truth, lust, and joy. At the bottom will be anger and fear because those are things I've had to go through to achieve the things I want. There will be blue sky background and her hair will be filled in with red. I'm hoping I only have 2-3 hours to go.

WOW- that is awesome.

I think earlier in the thread people were talking about tatts while BFing... I'm waiting until we're done, just to be on the safe side. But I know people that have done it.

#66 of 703 Old 05-13-2008, 11:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by changingseasons View Post
WOW- that is awesome.

I think earlier in the thread people were talking about tatts while BFing... I'm waiting until we're done, just to be on the safe side. But I know people that have done it.
The thing is, we want to do child lead weaning and this is our first kid and we plan to have a few. I'm not sure I want to wait ten years to finish the tattoo. *sigh*

My advice may not be appropriate for you. That's ok. You are just fine how you are and I am the right kind of me.

#67 of 703 Old 05-13-2008, 11:55 PM

Quote:
The thing is, we want to do child lead weaning and this is our first kid and we plan to have a few. I'm not sure I want to wait ten years to finish the tattoo. *sigh*
I'm in the same boat... DD is only 7 months, so we have quite a while with her. And then I'm thinking 2nd baby (maybe) in a couple years... so yeah, in like 10 years I can get another tatt. I just realized how horrible that sounds when I type it out. I can't wait that long!!! I'm going to have to do some serious research into this.

#68 of 703 Old 05-13-2008, 11:56 PM

Quote:

BEAUTIFUL tattoo!!! And I love the meaning behind it =) I got my first tat in Feb. of this year, when my youngest was almost 6 months old and Im going back tomorrow for my 2nd!! We're nursing and have had no problems. Good luck!!
#69 of 703 Old 05-14-2008, 01:13 AM

Quote:

Your tat is awesome! Here's what the LLL says about tattooing.
#70 of 703 Old 05-14-2008, 01:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitsune6 View Post
Thank you very much. That sounds like waiting a year is a minimum, but given that I am likely to be breastfeeding for close to a decade that it probably isn't that bad to do after a year.

#71 of 703 Old 05-14-2008, 01:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitsune6 View Post
That is fantastic!! Only 5 more months for me to wait!

#72 of 703 Old 05-15-2008, 09:45 PM

Hey there! I am so happy to have found this tribe, though I don't have many piercings and my tats aren't nearly so beautiful. In fact, the ones I have I either want to get covered or fixed up. (sigh)

I have a question for all you piercing mamas. Is it true that stainless steel is not great for initial piercings? I just heard that for the first time recently. I have had a few done (nostril, industrial, naval and tongue, though the last 2 are long gone) and never heard this.
I'm also thinking of having my other nostril pierced, but can't decide if it would look good or not. Please excuse the crappy picture!
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...nabel1887b.jpg

And is there any reason to wait a certain amount pf time between piercings? I just got my industrial done the other day.
#73 of 703 Old 05-15-2008, 09:46 PM

i got my fourth tatt today ..got tongue pierced a month ago!

Kylin 10/14/2002

Aja 8/13/2004

Evie 3/11/2010

2 angels in Heaven (Alexis & Bryson)

Currently NTNP for baby #4 dust.gif

#74 of 703 Old 05-15-2008, 10:38 PM

driving by to let you all know that my tatt is itching so badly today!!!

and....I can't stop thinking of what I can get done next
#75 of 703 Old 05-15-2008, 11:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Susana View Post

Holy tat itching batman!! I can totally relate! Ouch! Mine's a week old and there is a huge hunk of dried skin I keep praying will just fall off.

Did I mention that I'm ready to get an ohm symbol on my inner forearm?
#76 of 703 Old 05-15-2008, 11:33 PM

Hi there! Just stumbled on here and thought it was interesting. I have three tattoos and seven piercings but six of them our in my ears so I don't count them. I got my tongue pierced about three years ago. I have a tattoo on my right hip. It's the kanji symbol for dream. I have a beautiful yellow/orange rose on my left shoulder blade. It has three stars surrounding it, one for each child I've miscarried. I also have a the most amazing angel in a blue dress holding a single red rose on my right shoulder blade. That's my daughter, Jennifer Marie. We lost her when I was 16 weeks pregnant and it hit us very hard so the tattoo was a nice way to honor her separately from my other angels. I'm also planning on getting a tattoo on the back of my neck. I'm not sure what yet but I do know it will be fore my husband. We're still looking at things.
#77 of 703 Old 05-15-2008, 11:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maeve View Post
I have a question for all you piercing mamas. Is it true that stainless steel is not great for initial piercings? I just heard that for the first time recently. I have had a few done (nostril, industrial, naval and tongue, though the last 2 are long gone) and never heard this.
I'm also thinking of having my other nostril pierced, but can't decide if it would look good or not. Please excuse the crappy picture!
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...nabel1887b.jpg

And is there any reason to wait a certain amount pf time between piercings? I just got my industrial done the other day.
"Stainless steel" is used to describe a number of different grades of metal, many of which contain a lot of nickel--which many people have issues with. The metal is not as pure as is preferable. If you can afford the upgrade you probably should go with a pure metal to lower your chance of developing an allergy.

I don't know of needing to wait between piercings. If you are nursing I would probably give it a little time because your body is going to be distracted and take a little longer to heal.

#78 of 703 Old 05-15-2008, 11:47 PM

Now I wish I had asked for titanium in my industrial piercing, even though I've never had a reaction.
Oh well, what's done is done. I can hopefully change it in a few months.
But when I go get my other nostril done, I think I'm going to have a titanium hoop put in.
#79 of 703 Old 05-16-2008, 01:02 AM
Banned

just wanted to say hey! i Hanve had a few things done most are gone now but heres the list. Eyeborw piercing, bottom of belly button, lip, and ears also a small tatoo

I have removed all piercings but then got my lip done again a year after removing it and have it still now. Ive had it almost a year if i take the piercing out how long before it closes id like to be able to take it in and out. is that possible?
#80 of 703 Old 05-16-2008, 02:15 AM

Laws04 ~ I like sound of the rose you have. I've been contemplating a rose on the top of my wrist (I have a lotus on the under side).

I just got mine less than a week ago and I'm already thinking of what I want to add to it and another one i want in a different location.

Fun!
#81 of 703 Old 05-16-2008, 12:40 PM

Oh I never saw this tribe I have only one tatoo right now, on my upper back and shoulder, two roses, which covered up a stupid ugly thing I got when i was like 16

I don't know how to post a picture (help lol) but I would love to post it. Maybe someone can give me an idea of how to add to it. I really have been trying to think of something to incorporate mothering or my kids somehow but nothing has come to me!

I have had several piercings, my nose which I took out so that I can re pierce because I didn't like the placing (that was about 6 years ago), and my belly one I took out a few years ago wtih pregnancy 1. I think I took it out just a little late because the skin stretched a little. I plan to re-do this one as I have lost the tummy now and my skin looks better there.

I also had an eh....unusual peircing, but i have taken it out because it did not really function properly, and just became an annoyance! But I tried it for a few months which was what I wanted.
#82 of 703 Old 05-16-2008, 12:57 PM

Hmmm I think I figured it out, so I'll try to post this pic: http://s3.photobucket.com/albums/y89...t=IMG_1877.jpg
#83 of 703 Old 05-16-2008, 06:05 PM

my son was 16mo when i started my back...so i guess we went safely. he self weaned a couple of months ago...at age 2.
#84 of 703 Old 05-16-2008, 07:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fujiyama_mama View Post
Thats interesting most all of my friends are heavily tattooed and I have always heard the legs are very painful. So if you thought the leg was painless the back is probably a breeze. I did not find my upper back to be painful, except one small spot on my shoulder blades where it was practically tattooing bone.
I have had my shoulder done twice and my leg just recently. My leg wasn't that painful while getting it done except when it went over my ankle and a large scar I have there.

I do have to say that it was bloody painful on the two following days and swelled up hugely!

Quote:

Beautiful.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Susana View Post

OMG, me too, on both counts!

Slapping it is supposed to help the itching without scratching the dry skin off.
#85 of 703 Old 05-16-2008, 08:53 PM

I'm at four and a half tats right now (half since I need to get the color work on the latest done.)

The most recent - Peacock - pic may not be work safe as there's some naked bum profile.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/9995071...03669/sizes/l/

Left arm
http://www.flickr.com/photos/9995071...n/photostream/

Left calf
http://viewmorepics.myspace.com/inde...imageID=320272

I can't find any of my lower back or my right arm at the moment.
#86 of 703 Old 05-16-2008, 09:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hannahsmummy View Post
Slapping it is supposed to help the itching without scratching the dry skin off.
I do a lot of slapping after sittings. I also find that using Oil of Olay Complete Body Wash for extra dry skin tends to help me get through the healing/peeling much faster.

#87 of 703 Old 05-16-2008, 09:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by willowbean View Post
Left arm
http://www.flickr.com/photos/9995071...n/photostream/

I can't find any of my lower back or my right arm at the moment.
I have this bias towards writing in tattoos being only in a language you can read. So yay!

#88 of 703 Old 05-16-2008, 11:44 PM

Quote:
I do a lot of slapping after sittings. I also find that using Oil of Olay Complete Body Wash for extra dry skin tends to help me get through the healing/peeling much faster.
Love the peacock! Are you coloring it?
#89 of 703 Old 05-17-2008, 01:40 AM

Getting the peacock colored is the next on my tattoo list. I just have to save up the funds to do it. I'm excited though because my artist just got some new tips that did great colorwork in much less time on my DP's back.
#90 of 703 Old 05-17-2008, 08:49 AM

hannahsmummy thanks for the slapping idea! why is my tattoo itching so much a week later???

fun sidenote...my daughter's dance recital was last night. My tattoo was a hit with everyone.

Tags
Happiness Is A Choice For Teens , Todays Teen Student Edition

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page