Tattoo and Pierced Tribe II - Page 9 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#241 of 703 Old 09-11-2008, 08:21 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Greetings, Mamas!
After years of longing for a tattoo, I got one last June!! : It's a celtic tree-of-life design, but uniquely mine...I brought in a design that I liked, and the artist had some of his own, so we combined the top of mine with the bottom of one of his, and made a new one! It's a stylized, celtic knot design, with a treble cleff worked into the trunk of the tree. I need to have someone take a pic so that I can post it here. I'm so proud of it; since it's my first, I was thrilled when it didn't smudge, didn't come off in the shower, etc...it was part of me! Mine! It still makes me happy when I think about it. It's on my right upper thigh, sort of on my hip...the only "problem", if you can call it that, is that I can't just show it to anyone when I feel like it, kwim? I want to get another one that can be covered easily, but that I can let show if I want to.

I, too, love my artist. He was very reassuring, had no problem with a friend of mine coming with me to "hold my hand" figuratively speaking, and when I came back for him to finish it, he said I should be proud of myself, that I didn't need any hand-holding, that I was a "big girl" and could do it myself!

This tattoo is a kind of spiritual growth thing for me. That's another story though... I'll share it sometime...

and to everyone,
Raven : : : hale:

and ,
~Raven Loving mama of 6
#242 of 703 Old 09-12-2008, 05:51 PM

oh my gosh, i got a monroe piercing last night!! :im so excited. i hadnt planned on getting it until next week but my friend put up some cash for me. i thought my dh would freak but he said it was hot!! i wasnt expecting to get anything done since i just got a tat a few weeks ago.
#243 of 703 Old 09-12-2008, 06:04 PM

congratulations!!!! That's so much fun!

I just put my septum back in. I though I was going to have to re-pierce, but not so much! I feel like myself again.
#244 of 703 Old 09-17-2008, 03:09 PM

My nose ring came out. I changed the post for a ring a few months ago and since its so small (18g) I've been having problems with the bead falling off. It came off a couple of weeks ago but I can't go in to have a bigger sized ring put in, or change it out for an L post because I'm on stupid bedrest.

Its been staying in fine without the bead for a couple of weeks, I've only had one instance where it took me awhile of fidgeting to get it back in. But this morning it came out and I've been trying for over half an hour to get it back in. I called the place I had it done and asked if he could do a housecall and come over and change it out, but he said no.

So now my ring is out. I'm so, so sad. I cannot get it in and I'm afraid I'm just going to have to let it grow over.

The last few months haven't been hard enough, now I have to lose my beloved nose ring. I'm terribly sad about this.
#245 of 703 Old 09-24-2008, 12:36 AM

sorry to hear about your nose ring SageSS, were you able to get it back in? the only things i could think of that might help would be using something to lubricate it (vitamin E oil?) and wearing latex gloves to improve your grip.

hram, the monroe piercing is hot! do you have any pics of it? if i ever get a facial piercing, that will be it!

i finally got my first tat my artist was booked 5 months in advanced so i've had lots of anticipation building up to this. here's a pic http://www.new.facebook.com/photo.ph...df&id=14209043
#246 of 703 Old 09-24-2008, 01:24 PM

That tat is so pretty!!! I really want to get one done, I'm just afraid of the cost. I honestly don't even know how much to expect!
#247 of 703 Old 09-25-2008, 11:13 AM

when~i~get~batteries~for~my~dead~camera~ill~post~m y~new~stuff!!
#248 of 703 Old 09-28-2008, 06:53 PM

hi mamas!

i posted a while back with my new tat

feeling the urge again! i want 2 things:
1. radish/radishes
2. right arm with something amazing like this!
#249 of 703 Old 09-28-2008, 07:13 PM

omg, radish, I think I love you. That's AWESOME!

Amy: Certified Professional Midwife and mom to Max (11) and Stella (6).
#250 of 703 Old 09-28-2008, 08:03 PM

hey there!

sheena was your old username right? long time no see.

the artist who did my arm is amazing! alycia at www.modernbodytattoo.com

the artist i hope to work with next is adrian lee. check out his last collab with numerous other artists, Full Coverage.
#251 of 703 Old 09-29-2008, 03:00 PM

radish, your arm is gorgeous!

that tatt is similar to what I have been wanting to do but I want black ivy with indigo morning glories.

Unfortunately, I don't have the 500 bills required for this...

someday, huh!!
#252 of 703 Old 09-29-2008, 03:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by radish View Post
hey there!

sheena was your old username right? long time no see.

the artist who did my arm is amazing! alycia at www.modernbodytattoo.com

the artist i hope to work with next is adrian lee. check out his last collab with numerous other artists, Full Coverage.
Hey! Yeah, that's me.

Your arm piece is soooo pretty. I got a new one a few weeks ago and it's taken some getting used to having something so big.

Amy: Certified Professional Midwife and mom to Max (11) and Stella (6).
#253 of 703 Old 09-29-2008, 05:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Levatrice View Post
Hey! Yeah, that's me.

Your arm piece is soooo pretty. I got a new one a few weeks ago and it's taken some getting used to having something so big.
oooh post some pix!
#254 of 703 Old 10-15-2008, 02:16 PM

Hey Pierced Nose Mamas,

I got my nostril pierced about 4 months ago and I have now developed this hematoma-looking thing right around the hole. I haven't had any recent trauma that I can remember. At first the baby wanted to pick at it and my husband would snag it on his nose kissing me and the towel hung up on it a couple of times after bathing, but other than that, nothing new. It doesn't hurt and isn't really sore anymore. This new spot just turned up a couple of days ago and is getting bigger. Its kind of a discolored area, a little reddish and raised - almost like I got my nose pierced in the middle of a mosquito bite Its not itchy and its not a zit. I'm just hoping its not infected. What do ya'll think?

Kelly - wife to the best DH and : Mama to 6 younguns
#255 of 703 Old 10-15-2008, 05:01 PM

it doesn't sound like an infection, but I'm not sure I would ignore it. The standard advice in the piercing world is to do an aspirin paste. When I have had issues I have used calendula succus, goldenseal and honey. It's worked for me! I just don't own aspirin and had to make do.
#256 of 703 Old 10-17-2008, 08:51 PM

i forget the technical name but it is quite normal. dont squeeze it! sea salt soak/wash worked great for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GAmomto5 View Post
Hey Pierced Nose Mamas,

I got my nostril pierced about 4 months ago and I have now developed this hematoma-looking thing right around the hole. I haven't had any recent trauma that I can remember. At first the baby wanted to pick at it and my husband would snag it on his nose kissing me and the towel hung up on it a couple of times after bathing, but other than that, nothing new. It doesn't hurt and isn't really sore anymore. This new spot just turned up a couple of days ago and is getting bigger. Its kind of a discolored area, a little reddish and raised - almost like I got my nose pierced in the middle of a mosquito bite Its not itchy and its not a zit. I'm just hoping its not infected. What do ya'll think?
#257 of 703 Old 11-01-2008, 02:29 AM

Hi Ladies! I enjoy reading this thread.

I have a question for you all. I got my cart. done last Dec. I started wearing a hoop last month. I could wear it for maybe 2 days and then I'd get an infection. Took it out put in a stud and it would heal... tried it again and 2 days later another infection. This week I tried it again and after 4 days got an infection. This is a 24 ct gold ring. Why only with the hoop would this happen?
#258 of 703 Old 11-01-2008, 03:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GAmomto5 View Post
Hey Pierced Nose Mamas,

It is most likely hypertrophic scarring. It doesn't take much to get it w/nostril piercing, one or 2 bumps can do it. Even improperly fitting jewelry or changing jewelry too quickly can do it, or having a reaction to the material. Do not put aspirin on it, that can cause even worse problems or surface burning. Really, the best thing you can do is baby it, do sea salt soaks, and chamomile compresses (this works wonders). I had this problem w/my left nostril piercing (I have both nostrils pierced) and I had to change the jewelry to something that didn't get snagged/bumped, then I did the compresses and litha (left it the hell alone). The bump is all gone now.
#259 of 703 Old 11-01-2008, 03:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tammi View Post
Hi Ladies! I enjoy reading this thread.

I have a question for you all. I got my cart. done last Dec. I started wearing a hoop last month. I could wear it for maybe 2 days and then I'd get an infection. Took it out put in a stud and it would heal... tried it again and 2 days later another infection. This week I tried it again and after 4 days got an infection. This is a 24 ct gold ring. Why only with the hoop would this happen?
Where is the cartilage piercing? Also, hw do you know it is an infection?

First, you should probably stop changing jewelry. It's irritating the piercing. Also, gold really isn't the best material for piercings, I would switch to implant grade surgical stainless steel or titanium. And do sea salt soaks, those will help alot, as well as warm compresses to draw out any infection/fluid/etc.
#260 of 703 Old 11-01-2008, 06:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maeve View Post
It is most likely hypertrophic scarring. It doesn't take much to get it w/nostril piercing, one or 2 bumps can do it. Even improperly fitting jewelry or changing jewelry too quickly can do it, or having a reaction to the material. Do not put aspirin on it, that can cause even worse problems or surface burning. Really, the best thing you can do is baby it, do sea salt soaks, and chamomile compresses (this works wonders). I had this problem w/my left nostril piercing (I have both nostrils pierced) and I had to change the jewelry to something that didn't get snagged/bumped, then I did the compresses and litha (left it the hell alone). The bump is all gone now.
I agree about the aspirin....as in I don't use it. However that is the standard advice. Why would that be if it could cause worse problems or surface piercings? I have been getting pierced for well over a decade and had ALOT done and that is what is offered. I've never done it, but I am curious. The salicylic acid would help in that situation....

Also, I was going to mention material as well. Gold is quite porous and not ideal for piercings, especially ones that aren't fully healed. Hope that helps.
#261 of 703 Old 11-01-2008, 07:15 AM

right now i just have my bottom earlobes stretched. i have 3 other ear piercings but they haven't had jewelry in a long time and i want them to close, just have the lower lobe. but, i have thought about getting inked for years LOL since i was 18, i am 36 now. silly huh? i finally have a design, actually my dh came up with it right after we were married, but it wasn't a tattoo-just our own "family crest". we are getting the same one, upper arm. and also working our three children into the mix, as ravens. also, we have mixed family histories we wish to mix in together, the original design reflects much of that but still needs a little tweaking here and there.
i have always loved Oregon's motto (we are in Portland) !!! getting it tattooed on your body, Wow-so amazingly cool sorry about the misspelling-ack! but it is still beautiful!
so i have a question, also...i have been pondering having my nipples pierced, however due to well, nursing 3 children and being 36 the girls are a bit saggy...
i am going to ask my piercer this but wanted some more feedback, esp from mamas.
anyone see a problem w/this? i am proud of them, myself
#262 of 703 Old 11-01-2008, 12:04 PM

If you want them, get them!
#263 of 703 Old 11-01-2008, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by firefaery View Post
I agree about the aspirin....as in I don't use it. However that is the standard advice. Why would that be if it could cause worse problems or surface piercings? I have been getting pierced for well over a decade and had ALOT done and that is what is offered. I've never done it, but I am curious. The salicylic acid would help in that situation....

Also, I was going to mention material as well. Gold is quite porous and not ideal for piercings, especially ones that aren't fully healed. Hope that helps.

Well, some piercers will suggest it for oral tissues, which is generally ok because of rapid cell regeneration rate/growth in oral tissues. In other piercings though it is not a good idea because what happens is that the aspirin will kill of a ton of cells, but they won't regrow quickly and you're left with more damage, irratation, and very likely more hypertrophic scarring.

I hoped I explained this well enough, I am *really* tired this morning.
#264 of 703 Old 11-01-2008, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maeve View Post
Where is the cartilage piercing? Also, hw do you know it is an infection?

First, you should probably stop changing jewelry. It's irritating the piercing. Also, gold really isn't the best material for piercings, I would switch to implant grade surgical stainless steel or titanium. And do sea salt soaks, those will help alot, as well as warm compresses to draw out any infection/fluid/etc.
The piercing is at the top of the ear. After a few days with the hoop, I notice swelling...when I take it out puss follows. After the puss drains I put in a stud and I am fine. When I change studs I have no problems. My friend said that maybe the slight curve of the hoop was the problem and irritating it. I wondered if I changed to a hoop with a straight post that it would be better. I didn't think that that kind would be comfortable to sleep in, however.
#265 of 703 Old 11-02-2008, 01:44 PM

I would leave a good quality stud in for the time being until it completely heals, along with sss and compresses. Then when it's completely healed you could try a D-ring or a square ring, or try a different sized ring. But definitely try a better material and see if that helps.
#266 of 703 Old 11-09-2008, 02:49 PM

I have a question. I have a weirdness next to a cartilage piercing. It seems almost like a blood blister, it's squishy and reddish purple, and pretty round. It's right next to the piercing, but not around it. Any ideas? I need to know what to do. I can't seem to burst it, but my impression is that keloids are hard. This isn't. What is it and what do I do? Thanks! The piercing is about a month old.
#267 of 703 Old 11-11-2008, 10:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~Twighlight~ View Post
I have a question. I have a weirdness next to a cartilage piercing. It seems almost like a blood blister, it's squishy and reddish purple, and pretty round. It's right next to the piercing, but not around it. Any ideas? I need to know what to do. I can't seem to burst it, but my impression is that keloids are hard. This isn't. What is it and what do I do? Thanks! The piercing is about a month old.
Possibly an infection. I would do sea salt soaks. Put about a teaspoon of sea salt into a mug of water as hot as you can tolerate it, then put it over your ear for about 10-15 mins. I would do this a couple times a day, but I was in college at the time with just myself and a cat to worry about. The sea salt will help draw out the impurities. This might be hard, but also try not to sleep on that side either.

No tattoos for me, but I had a bunch of piercings in college. I'm down to a couple, one in my navel and another (8g) in my cartiledge.
#268 of 703 Old 11-16-2008, 06:41 PM

This isn't about me, but I thought you all would be a good group to ask about this. My 5yo has her ear lobes pierced, she got them done 4 months ago. They healed really well, no redness or infection or any problems at all. She still has in her original jewelry.

Just recently one of her lobes has been bothering her. It is painful and when I looked at the back of her lobe on one side beside the piercing it looks bruised (purple/blueish) and it is very tender, and I can feel inside that there is some sort of puffiness... almost like a soft lump. There is no pus, redness, or heat.

What can I do? She loves her piercings and I would hate to take it out. Is there something I can try to clear up this problem before I go straight to removing her earrings?

~ Colleen ~ Joyful Unschooling Pagan mama to hearts.gifenergy.gifsuperhero.gifjog.gif and babyf.gif
"When I'm sad, I stop being sad and be AWESOME instead."
#269 of 703 Old 11-17-2008, 02:02 PM

Helloooo!!! Ahhh, my aching arm is killing me!!! Aw well that's what I get I went in last night and sat for 3 hours (that is my max these days) and had my left arm sleeve worked on!!!

Oh, oh and intro I suppose would be appropriate! Ehh, thats a little about me in my sig, but as far as to why I belong here... well, have ya seen me? lol Sorry I'm in a weird mood! Ok, well I am an avid collecter of tattoos, piercings, and hopefully will be doing a suspension sometime in the spring. I am working on full sleeves on both my arms, and really I'm not going to go on about all the others I have, there are too many. Anyways, point being is that I belong here with you.

I am hoping to get involved in the michigan chapter of the gypsy queens. They are a group of women who are out to change the stereotypes about tattood woman (think suicide girls, yuck!), so that is just awesome and a mama like me can really appreciate what they are out to do.

Alright enough about me. I will be poking in and out of the tribe occasionaly!

Peace!

LeeAnn )O( Earth mama treehugger.gif and mother to DD Leela (9), DSD Ari (9), DD Zen (7), DS Gabrael Riot (4!)
Self preservation is a full time occupation! namaste.gif

#270 of 703 Old 11-17-2008, 09:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~Twighlight~ View Post
I am in NO way an expert at this, but my daughter has a naval piercing that has taken forever to heal. She had a reddish purple "blister" on the underside of the piercing that was like blood blister, but wouldn't pop. Took her back to the piercer who told her it may be a keloid, but to try dial soap as the constant sea salt soaks might be irritating her (very sensitive) skin.

It is much better now. She's sad she can't wear a lot of the cute costume jewelry (like her big sis,) but is glad she didn't have to take it out and have it redone.

Good luck.

Jill H.

(lucky mom to Amelia 18, Camille 16, Evan 13, and Gracie 11)

Tags
Happiness Is A Choice For Teens , Todays Teen Student Edition

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page