Modest Dressing Mommas - Page 13 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 
#361 of 606 Old 09-20-2009, 12:18 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I have been following this thread for a while so I guess I'll say hi. I do not follow any religion, but lately I have been wanting to dress more modestly just as a matter of personal taste.

I am always surprised at the number of men that "check me out" when I am out shopping--even when I'm pregnant! It makes me feel a bit uncomfortable, and I'd like to dress in such a way that I don't attract attention.

Also, my husband actually prefers that I dress modestly--he says it's much prettier and more feminine, and he loves it when I wear long skirts especially.

The way I dress right now isn't revealing necessarily--I never wear shorts, short skirts, or tank tops--but I'd like in the future to wear more ankle-length skirts and feminine, long-sleeved tops. I have been looking at thrift shops for long skirts and trying to learn how to sew, too, since long skirts aren't really in style right now (I have found some GORGEOUS ones on Etsy, but they're very expensive).

I have a question, though. Right now I only wear skirts in the summer, with sandals. If I want to wear a long skirt in the winter, what kind of footwear is best? My shoe wardrobe is pretty basic, I guess if I want to wear skirts in cold weather I need to get some kind of boots? I hate high heels though...

Also, what does everyone wear underneath a skirt in winter to keep warm? Yoga pants, I suppose?

Bookworm mom to three wonderful children. homeschool.gif
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#362 of 606 Old 09-21-2009, 12:52 AM

Tights!!!

I am glad fall is here, b/c I love tights under my skirts. And the Mennonite mommas around here wear jeans skirts w/tights, socks and sneakers all the time. I just found tights at Kmart, brown, blue, grey, and black!

I am gonna get a new pair of Merrell mocs for this winter, they go with everything!

computergeek2.gif  wife to bikenew.gif and momma to my intact boys headscratch.gif 06/19/06 and mischievous.gif 10/10/08 We delayed/selective vax; constantly wash.gif  always intactlact.gif

Niemals Gewalt
#363 of 606 Old 09-21-2009, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dillpicklechip View Post
I have a question, though. Right now I only wear skirts in the summer, with sandals. If I want to wear a long skirt in the winter, what kind of footwear is best? My shoe wardrobe is pretty basic, I guess if I want to wear skirts in cold weather I need to get some kind of boots? I hate high heels though...

Also, what does everyone wear underneath a skirt in winter to keep warm? Yoga pants, I suppose?
welcome!
i have to wear boots in winter for the sake of my easily-chilled feet—and i am only in PA, not ONT. depending, you might have a slip-on clog style of shoe that works. usually they can accommodate thicker socks, which you could remove once indoors if they are a fashion no-no for you.

yoga pants definitely work underneath skirts. someone here has posted about marvelous capri length long underwear, a brilliant idea imho.

also earlier posts (just a page or 2 back?) talk about petticoats, flannel line dunderlayers....more ideas.

mama to one amazing daughter born 1/2004
#364 of 606 Old 09-21-2009, 11:05 PM

I love boots in the winter. (I love that its getting to be fall so I can wear them again. they're too hot in the summer). I have boots with heels and boots with no heels. Some of my favorite boots are frye's (veronica slouches? engineers? I thing the veronicas....?), with really no heel to speak of. Of course my true winter boots are a pair of black suede canadienne's with heels, but the greatest part? They're waterproof/resistant!!! suede rainboots. And when I put them on, they fit like a custom made glove. I'm in love, and I've already had them for a year. (I probably should have them treated for water again.) I wouldn't wear them puddlestomping, but we get a lot of rain, and I don't worry the least about wearing them in the rain. (nor do I worry with the fryes. they handle anything, even mud all day. they're workhorses, as well as cute).

If you can afford it, I recommend getting yourself a pair of heavy duty (but cute!) comfy boots without a heel if you don't like them. Then again, I do have 5-7 pairs of black leather boots in my shoes closet of about 10 pairs of shoes...... (and a brown pair) so my advice is a little biased. lol

I also have some mary jane type shoes (naot's, super comfy) that look good with skirts. but if I need extra warmth on my feet, it needs to be nylons or tights, since socks would look weird.

Caroline, partner to J, post partum doula, kitchen manager, aspiring midwife, soon to be nursing student, mama to my furbaby, someday a mama to not so furry munchkins, G-d willing
#365 of 606 Old 09-22-2009, 01:04 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dillpicklechip View Post

Granny boots! Nope, not an old lady, I just love the vintage look.

I wear a couple pairs of dance tights, of all things, or sometimes a pair of footed (versus over-boot) figure skating tights. Back when I was still taking lessons, those things kept me warm, even when my legs were otherwise bare! Any dance store should have them. My favorite brand was, and still is, Danskin.
#366 of 606 Old 09-24-2009, 11:41 AM

these are not sophisticated maybe, but they (in dark brown) are my ultimate cozy boots.

the only thing i don't like about autumn is saying goodbye to sandals. shoes feel so confining. dressy in winter is a problem to me, as i am not a fan of typical dressy shoes. i'm learning, slowly but surely.

my winter compromise is usually to wear warm boots, and change into flats soon after arrival at my destination. (these—in black—are my all-purpose interview, out to dinner, party shoes.)

#367 of 606 Old 09-24-2009, 01:23 PM

Thanks to all those who answered my questions!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kangamitroo View Post
welcome!
i have to wear boots in winter for the sake of my easily-chilled feet—and i am only in PA, not ONT. depending, you might have a slip-on clog style of shoe that works. usually they can accommodate thicker socks, which you could remove once indoors if they are a fashion no-no for you.
Thank you--I think clogs would be great for cool weather, probably not for the dead of winter when I have to walk in the snow, but I definitely should get some clogs for fall. And I would definitely wear them with thick socks. I have cold feet, so once the weather gets cold I am always wearing two pairs of socks at all times.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noelle C. View Post
Granny boots! Nope, not an old lady, I just love the vintage look.
Granny boots are so cool...I would love to wear those, I just wonder about how comfortable they are?

Quote:
Originally Posted by kangamitroo View Post
these are not sophisticated maybe, but they (in dark brown) are my ultimate cozy boots.

my winter compromise is usually to wear warm boots, and change into flats soon after arrival at my destination. (these—in black—are my all-purpose interview, out to dinner, party shoes.)
Those boots look very comfy indeed...I like the grey ones. Cute shoes, too!

Bookworm mom to three wonderful children. homeschool.gif
#368 of 606 Old 09-24-2009, 04:56 PM

Go try some. If they fit well, they're comfy. If they don't, they're not. For instance, if the sole of the middle of the shoe comes down before your foot does (if there is space there) they may be comfy at the store, but not later. If it supports your foot the whole length and is comfy, its more likely to be comfy.

Caroline, partner to J, post partum doula, kitchen manager, aspiring midwife, soon to be nursing student, mama to my furbaby, someday a mama to not so furry munchkins, G-d willing
#369 of 606 Old 09-27-2009, 05:28 PM

this is just a mini rant...

The wonderful, beautiful tights I bought at Kmart the other week...

yeah, they don't fit.

(they should fit- I bought my size according to the package)

computergeek2.gif  wife to bikenew.gif and momma to my intact boys headscratch.gif 06/19/06 and mischievous.gif 10/10/08 We delayed/selective vax; constantly wash.gif  always intactlact.gif

Niemals Gewalt
#370 of 606 Old 09-27-2009, 05:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by heidirk View Post
this is just a mini rant...

The wonderful, beautiful tights I bought at Kmart the other week...

yeah, they don't fit.

(they should fit- I bought my size according to the package)
well, that stinks. like my shawl i just brought home from Target, soft cream-colored one....with an almost inch long tear that I saw when I spread it out for ironing. back it goes.

#371 of 606 Old 09-28-2009, 04:20 PM

shopping in my own closet
i was cleaning things out for a clothing drive at dd's school. i found 2 great dresses. technically maternity dresses, they have ties (near the ribs) that can be done looser or snugger. when they are snugger, they do not make me look pregnant or anything. both are knee length. with a cardigan on top and dress pants under, i have two new outfits--for free!

#372 of 606 Old 10-02-2009, 11:31 PM

Where do I get long black skirts that are safe in the kitchen/food serving enviroment, pretty inexpensive, totally cover my legs but I won't trip, don't shorten my stride, and are sturdy? I start a new job in a couple days and I'm not sure where to go for the new things I need for the dress code!!! (I could wear black pants, but I think I'm going to only buy skirts, since I would rather wear skirts.) Also, what type of skirt would you go with? Please help! thanks. I'm not sure I have time to order online and would rather order locally, though online places would help too. Thanks!!

(sorry to sound frantic, I'm running out the door as I ask lol)

#373 of 606 Old 10-03-2009, 12:07 AM

I like the skirts at shukronline.com
they are *very* sturdy, not sure what you count as inexpensive though.

HTH

Helping women overcome postpartum depression and birth trauma. http://www.postmommyhood.com

#374 of 606 Old 10-03-2009, 05:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by neveryoumindthere View Post
I like the skirts at shukronline.com
they are *very* sturdy, not sure what you count as inexpensive though.

HTH
Mmmmm I love shukronline.... i have 3 skirts from them that are my main dress only switching when all three are dirty. Totally covering and fit fantastic... best part for me too is that they fit great before i got preggers again and STILL fit (it just gets shorter as I move the waist up )

but yes not really cheap unless you are a smaller size and can get them on sale although they are very sturdy so they kinda last forever.

transtichel.gifAk Hippie mama  ribbonpb.gifYamia  DSD '03 blahblah.gif  DS '07 ribboncesarean.gif  DS2 '09  hbac.gif & DS3  uc.jpg '12

homeschool.gifwinner.jpgfamilybed2.gifnovaxnocirc.gifcd.gifgd.gif

#375 of 606 Old 10-04-2009, 12:57 AM

better to buy quality that lasts than to pay only a little but have to buy frequently, in my opinion. That's about what I'm looking to pay. (goodness knows where its coming from lol, it will be a squeeze, but it is for work so...). For some reason I'm only seeing sale items? mostly with black sold out. though the sizes would fit.

I may need them ASAP, hopefully I can have a short paperwork day on tuesday (working sun, mon), go shopping and find something to wear for training...

#376 of 606 Old 10-04-2009, 02:27 AM

Shukr runs seasonally ... right now they're clearing out for their winter stock and are probably pretty low on most everything.
#377 of 606 Old 10-04-2009, 01:16 PM

Yeah definitely hit Shukr's sales!
#378 of 606 Old 10-08-2009, 09:45 PM

So, I was poking around on the web for winter weight tights, and everything I was seeing was in the $35-45 range. For tights. Heavy material or not, that's a lot for tights. Does anyone know where to get a better deal on something that's still actually worth having? I've always been a long johns under skirts kind of girl, but I'd just like something that feels less frump, you know?
#379 of 606 Old 10-08-2009, 11:38 PM

#380 of 606 Old 10-08-2009, 11:56 PM

Liquesce, Target has some uber-cool tights in stock now for $3-12. Sound better?

Sara caffix.gif, Keith 2whistle.gif, Toby 6/08superhero.gif, Nomi 4/10blahblah.gif, Mona 1/12 hammer.gif

Mama of three, lover, student rabbi, spoonie, friend, musician, narcoleptic, space muffin, pretty much a dragon. Crunchy like matzoh.

#381 of 606 Old 10-09-2009, 01:26 AM

Much! Do you have the Target ones? (Or you the Hannah ones, UmmZaynab?)

I was thinking about this year instead of my aforementioned standard frumpy winter wear going with a silk slip, heavy tights, and a cool pair of pretty cableknit legwarmers I found. I'd just like to start feeling like I'm pulled together not just for public show but also for myself, you know?
#382 of 606 Old 10-09-2009, 11:13 AM

All of my funky tights are from Target. I wouldn't recommend getting anything cheaper than $6.99 or so - the $3-4 tights can be kinda flimsy and easily run, though they come in interesting patterns. I generally like the $9.99 ones - they seem to not rip and they've got all sorts of fun patterns.

Sara caffix.gif, Keith 2whistle.gif, Toby 6/08superhero.gif, Nomi 4/10blahblah.gif, Mona 1/12 hammer.gif

Mama of three, lover, student rabbi, spoonie, friend, musician, narcoleptic, space muffin, pretty much a dragon. Crunchy like matzoh.

#383 of 606 Old 10-09-2009, 12:35 PM

We have the ribbed tights for kids. They last forever and are nice and warm.
#384 of 606 Old 10-12-2009, 02:29 AM

Hi- Just happened upon this thread! :-) So nice to hear from other mamas who desire to dress modestly in today's very immodest world. I am pretty conservative in my clothing choices...moving towards skirts/dresses primarily because I love how I feel in them and they are more modest to me than a pair of jeans which accenuate my bottom too much imho. I love being really feminine and long flowing skirts just seem to fit that better. I don't know if I will get rid of all my pants- I like to layer a pair of loose pants under a dress for a unique look and takes care of the modesty issue too. :-) I am a Christian mom of 7 (4 girls-3 boys) and I have been feeling a prick to my heart for this past year on dressing more feminine...I used to do alot of skirts- then started wearing mostly jeans and t-shirts after my last baby...think the Lord wants me to embrace my calling of being a lady for him! :-)

Nice to "meet" all of you like-minded mamas! I will be subbing this thread!

Kellina~ Wife & Christian SAHomeschooling Mama-to 8 GREAT children!   

brokenheart.gif *Missing my 6 m/c babies in the arms of Jesus* brokenheart.gif

#385 of 606 Old 10-12-2009, 11:31 AM

Hey modest mamas! I need some help

I am a MSW student and have my field placement interview this Thursday. I am also a modest dressing mama and wear mostly long skirts (from shukronline) and long sleeve tee-shirts from local chains like Kohl's.

I am interviewing for a very competitive placement at the local ER and am worried that my current modest but quite frumpy look might cost me the placement. I need ideas for modest interview attire that looks normal. Suits are out since I was specifically told not to wear one by my field instructor.

How can I dress modestly for this interview without looking like I dress modestly? I need to be covered past the kness when sitting, the elbows when they are bent and have my collarbone covered

Kateread.gif, grad student mama to O (4) and J (3)fencing.gif
Cautiously expecting a "bonus" baby in August.

#386 of 606 Old 10-12-2009, 11:59 AM

How about:

http://www.jjill.com/jjillonline/pro...F4996&h=M&sk=M

or

http://www.jjill.com/jjillonline/pro...F4996&h=M&sk=M

plus something like the ensembles shown here

http://www.coldwatercreek.com/jackets.aspx

or a more formal-looking shirt like this

http://www.coldwatercreek.com/Produc...-and-tees.aspx

or this

http://www.coldwatercreek.com/Produc...-and-tees.aspx

with a big 'ol necklace?

(Obviously these are a little expensive but for the blouses you could look for them at Ross/TJ Maxx/etc.)

For shoes, I am partial to clunky European style like these

http://www.llbean.com/webapp/wcs/sto...ogs%5Einit%7E0
#387 of 606 Old 10-12-2009, 12:56 PM

JustKate, is it cool weather by you? I'd wear a nice skirt like what UmmZynab suggested along with a turtleneck sweater. Professional and comfortable. Put a nice necklace on, and if you have your ears pierced, a matching set of earrings.

Does MSW stand for "medical service worker" or "masters of social work"? Because if it's the first, I might nix the necklace. Don't want them to think you're the type to wear accessories that might get in the way of hauling people around. When I took my first session of EMT training, a gal came in big earrings, and got an earful from the instructor about wearing inappropriate accessories. We got to hear about all the gory situations he could think of that would get them ripped out of her ears.

#388 of 606 Old 10-12-2009, 01:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smeisnotapirate View Post
Does MSW stand for "medical service worker" or "masters of social work"? Because if it's the first, I might nix the necklace. Don't want them to think you're the type to wear accessories that might get in the way of hauling people around. When I took my first session of EMT training, a gal came in big earrings, and got an earful from the instructor about wearing inappropriate accessories. We got to hear about all the gory situations he could think of that would get them ripped out of her ears.
It stands for Master of Social Work

I still can't do any necklaces, scarves or dangling earrings, though, as I am applying to intern in the crisis intervention section of the ER, which means that many of the clients I see may have homicidal/suicidal ideation or are otherwise mentally unstable and its not a good idea to wear any accessories that may be used to hurt them or you.

Maybe my lack of accessories is why I look frumpy all of the time.

Kateread.gif, grad student mama to O (4) and J (3)fencing.gif
Cautiously expecting a "bonus" baby in August.

#389 of 606 Old 10-12-2009, 02:43 PM

Ok, got it. So yeah, a nice turtleneck sweater won't look weird without accessories.

#390 of 606 Old 10-12-2009, 05:30 PM

Who was looking for long black skirts? Was it this thread or the Covered Girls thread? I found this:

http://www.tabeez.com/c-185-skrw.aspx

User Tag List