Modest Dressing Mommas - Page 15 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#421 of 603 Old 01-05-2010, 12:31 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Don't let things go! You're too young.

I've replaced all my underwear with cute stuff, too. I realized after DS was born that I needed to feel pretty. The postpartum period was tough on me, and knowing that I was wearing a cute lacy bra and undies underneath my mommy clothes (usually something spat upon) did a whole lot. Also, I make sure that I do my hair for DH, even if it's just lasting for a couple of hours at night. Some nights it's tedious, but I appreciate the time to reflect on us.

Sara caffix.gif, Keith 2whistle.gif, Toby 6/08superhero.gif, Nomi 4/10blahblah.gif, Mona 1/12 hammer.gif

Mama of three, lover, student rabbi, spoonie, friend, musician, narcoleptic, space muffin, pretty much a dragon. Crunchy like matzoh.

#422 of 603 Old 01-05-2010, 12:42 AM

Hi I just wanted to join in. I too dress modestly. I was raised wearing only dresses but since getting older I do now wear pants. I do not wear sleevless or low cut shirts. I like my skirts and shorts to come to mid knee or below. I also do not wear anything tight. I am hoping that ya'll will be able to point me in the directions of places were I can find cute modest clothes.
#423 of 603 Old 01-05-2010, 12:03 PM

You can always wear pretty underthings underneath your modest clothes. And I agree that physical upkeep is very important! I always feel sexier after I shave my legs and put on some toenail polish.

Bookworm mom to three wonderful children. homeschool.gif
#424 of 603 Old 01-06-2010, 01:37 AM

Hmmm maybe I'll get some cute underthings when I can afford them then. (I don't wear bras but I could get a wire-less bra or two for occasional wear).

I think exercise is definitely going to help. We took a krav maga (israeli contact combat/self defense) course today and it was so much fun. (and so incredibly intense of a workout). but doing something so physical made me feel so much better about my body. I think continuing to get in good shape and doing very active things *avoiding the dread e word* will help. I'm hoping I can find a way to pay for ongoing krav maga classes because they were amazing. but expensive. I may be able to convince my parents to help pay... As much as a part of me hates always asking my parents for things, I also know that I need to ask them for the financial help to do the things that help my recovery, because I can't afford them alone and that is so important right now.

Welcome mommy13. I would say a lot of us buy our clothes at regular stores (whether that is macy's, goodwill, ross, boutiques, or something else). It's harder to find things that fit our modesty standards but there are plenty of them for the finding. However I know there are some great online retailers of modest clothing, that I don't really know and you could browse this thread for, or one of the other ladies may know.

Caroline, partner to J, post partum doula, kitchen manager, aspiring midwife, soon to be nursing student, mama to my furbaby, someday a mama to not so furry munchkins, G-d willing
#425 of 603 Old 01-07-2010, 09:03 PM

So... inexpensive ONLINE places for ankle length skirts?

transtichel.gifAk Hippie mama  ribbonpb.gifYamia  DSD '03 blahblah.gif  DS '07 ribboncesarean.gif  DS2 '09  hbac.gif & DS3  uc.jpg '12

homeschool.gifwinner.jpgfamilybed2.gifnovaxnocirc.gifcd.gifgd.gif

#426 of 603 Old 01-08-2010, 12:30 AM

What's your definition of inexpensive?
#427 of 603 Old 01-08-2010, 02:32 AM

oh i don't know but a lot of the nicer length ankle length skirts i've seen (even jean or the like) have been like 60 bucjs...

transtichel.gifAk Hippie mama  ribbonpb.gifYamia  DSD '03 blahblah.gif  DS '07 ribboncesarean.gif  DS2 '09  hbac.gif & DS3  uc.jpg '12

#428 of 603 Old 01-18-2010, 04:43 AM

There are lots of definitions for modesty and affordability, but the website www.koshercasual.com has answers for both. They sell all modest clothing including long skirts priced from $10 - $25 and they are indeed fashionable basics.
#429 of 603 Old 01-18-2010, 04:43 PM

ladies, a long time ago i had posted with a question about Barbie clothes for my dd. well, i found a place on etsy. (it was my first time out of lurking on this thread, actually.) some of the dresses are short sleeve and knee length. while this does not mirror the modesty standards of many posters here, i find it a thousand times better than the skin tight clothes, hot pants and plunging v-necks that Barbie often comes with.

the seamstress takes special orders, too, if there are certain color preferences, and the service is very prompt.

mama to one amazing daughter born 1/2004
#430 of 603 Old 01-21-2010, 06:35 PM

I usually wear skirts when I go into town (shopping, church, with DH, etc.)

Usually yoga pants and shirts at home, although when it gets "hot" (I live in north Idaho ) I'll wear skirts and dresses more, they're cooler!

I also snowboard and dirtbike; those are two sports you do NOT wear skirts in. I've seen a few skiers (likely Mennonites) that ski in skirts, but I think trying to snowboard in a skirt would be BEYOND immodest (thinks of a few bails I've taken where my feet have most certainly flipped over my head).

Ditto on the dirtbiking, although that is more dangerous than immodest...I couldn't imagine whipping down a dirt path at 30mph and have a skirt get caught in my back wheel... *shudder*

And now that I've written all this, I have the strange feeling I wrote it all before...if so, sorry!
#431 of 603 Old 01-30-2010, 03:01 PM

i'd like to join this tribe. i'm making the transition. i've always been a pretty modest dresser but i'm going further with it now like skirts only, no sleeveless stuff and headcovering. it's a little bit harder than i thought it would be. have been making scarves, using bandanas and knit caps. i just ordered 2 snoods from Garlands of Grace. i'm soooo glad this group is on here.

Chelsea, Christian, Wife to Trey, Mommy to Oliver (11/3/2005), Abner (5/01/2008) and Baby #3 ( Due 9/27/2010)
#432 of 603 Old 01-31-2010, 06:23 PM

welcome Chelsea

#433 of 603 Old 02-02-2010, 06:30 PM

So anyone have good leads on long childrens skirts? i know they exsist but i dont run into them locally and all the stuff i find online is short which is way to cold to be wearing around.. i was hoping to find some good long skirts my DSD could wear....

#434 of 603 Old 02-03-2010, 03:08 PM

Hi, I would like to join this thread. I am a modest dresser, and for me that means long skirts/dresses/jumpers, and plain colors and styles. I also wear a headscarf as a headcovering. It is nice to meet other mammas who think the same way!

Breastfeeding, cloth diapering, TV-free, no vax, Christian Mamma to two little girls, ages 2 and 6 months. I love long skirts, headscarves, and country living.

#435 of 603 Old 02-03-2010, 03:22 PM

Yes please - any advice on places for longer skirts of little girls. I found some places ,but many are expensive. Some people I know had good luck at Children's Place - at least with older gals (over age 7 or so).

I think this site http://www.belowtheknee.com/ has some good choices, but I have never ordered from them (too big for my girls).

I have serveral skirts from http://www.devorafashions.com/girls.html. I love them and they have held up well - their girls sizes start too big, so I ahve yet to order from them for hte girls.

Someone sent this to me recently. Never ordered from them: http://www.koshercasual.com//girls-m...-23_22_64.html
#436 of 603 Old 02-04-2010, 05:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by onyxravnos View Post
So anyone have good leads on long childrens skirts? i know they exsist but i dont run into them locally and all the stuff i find online is short which is way to cold to be wearing around.. i was hoping to find some good long skirts my DSD could wear....
I use http://www.modestclothes.com a lot to find good modest things online.

I like some of the stuff here http://www.upstreamgirl.com/default.aspx

Here is a boring long black skirt, but could be made cute with a cute shirt or something. http://www.h2opinklabel.com/product_p/333k.htm

Has several cute skirts. http://www.belowtheknee.com/

oAlisha- eternal companion to mike:, mother to three energetic boys (02):, (05), and (07) and one sweet little girl 3/13.  Two in heaven.7/21/2010, 11/05/2011 mecry.gif.

#437 of 603 Old 02-06-2010, 05:47 PM

Hi all, new here, but this is a tribe I'm really interested in. I made the transition to skirts/dresses and modest tops about two years ago, and LOVE it. I love how I'm treated more like a lady, and I love how comfortable not wearing form fitting pants is!

My problem right now is finding maternity skirts? I'm having a local seamstress turn my old maternity jeans into skirts, but would also like to find regular denim maternity skirts, if at all possible. Any ideas?

Heathyr hang.gifBlessed Catholic Wife to DHwheelchair.gif Devoted Mama to DS1 biglaugh.gif(3/17/08) and DS2blowkiss.gif (8/5/2010)familybed1.gifcd.giflactivist.gifribboncesarean.gifx2 
#438 of 603 Old 02-06-2010, 06:06 PM

#439 of 603 Old 02-06-2010, 07:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KempsMama View Post
Hi all, new here, but this is a tribe I'm really interested in. I made the transition to skirts/dresses and modest tops about two years ago, and LOVE it. I love how I'm treated more like a lady, and I love how comfortable not wearing form fitting pants is!

My problem right now is finding maternity skirts? I'm having a local seamstress turn my old maternity jeans into skirts, but would also like to find regular denim maternity skirts, if at all possible. Any ideas?
i recently saw a link to The Modest Mom. i have not tried these skirts personally, but they look good.

mama to one amazing daughter born 1/2004
#440 of 603 Old 02-11-2010, 01:43 PM

I just ordered from New Creation and the skirts are great. It is the most choice I have had in a long time and the service was excellent.
#441 of 603 Old 02-11-2010, 08:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liquesce View Post
I LOVE those skirts. Wish I could afford $26 for one skirt, though.

Momma to DS1 4/5/06 nursed with IGT to self-weaning at 27 months, DS2 1/20/09 still nursing, DS3 due late November - planning to tandem with IGT and SNS
#442 of 603 Old 02-16-2010, 01:21 AM

:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonprysm View Post
I LOVE those skirts. Wish I could afford $26 for one skirt, though.
The following sites offer monthly drawings for a free skirt from newcreation www.isthismodest.com
www.inashoe.com
www.forsalebymormon.com
#443 of 603 Old 02-21-2010, 03:46 PM

hey ladies! look what I found!!!

http://www.barenecessities.com/Plush...S_,search,.htm

(now if only I could buy them! )

computergeek2.gif  wife to bikenew.gif and momma to my intact boys headscratch.gif 06/19/06 and mischievous.gif 10/10/08 We delayed/selective vax; constantly wash.gif  always intactlact.gif

Niemals Gewalt
#444 of 603 Old 02-21-2010, 07:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by heidirk View Post
hey ladies! look what I found!!!

http://www.barenecessities.com/Plush...S_,search,.htm

(now if only I could buy them! )
Wow! THOSE sound amazing!

Sara caffix.gif, Keith 2whistle.gif, Toby 6/08superhero.gif, Nomi 4/10blahblah.gif, Mona 1/12 hammer.gif

Mama of three, lover, student rabbi, spoonie, friend, musician, narcoleptic, space muffin, pretty much a dragon. Crunchy like matzoh.

#445 of 603 Old 02-21-2010, 08:52 PM

I KNOW!!! so so very tempting!

computergeek2.gif  wife to bikenew.gif and momma to my intact boys headscratch.gif 06/19/06 and mischievous.gif 10/10/08 We delayed/selective vax; constantly wash.gif  always intactlact.gif

Niemals Gewalt
#446 of 603 Old 02-22-2010, 02:33 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
*waves*
I am a pretty active member of the "cover"ed girls thread, and semi-active in the covering pagans thread.
Anyway- I recently started a relationship with a new gentleman, and I brought up headcovering. He said he loved the idea, and was a little surprised at how appealing the thought of only him seeing my hair was. I recently put purple streaks in my hair, so I am currently rocking the alt hair style, but I plan on covering full time when I need to dye my hair for my internship.
As for clothes- I wish I had the money to buy some. DD and I are living with my parents since my divorce and relocation back home. And I am jobless, so they buy pretty much everything for DD and I. I know I need new clothes, but I am reluctant to ask. If money were no issue- I would score several skirts from New Creation and Shkur, and some nice half-sleeve or 3/4 sleeve shirts. As for coverings, I adore the snoods on http://www.garlandsofgrace.com and the Tiechel (most specifically the Mitpachat scarves) at http://www.headcoverings-by-devorah.com

Proud Catholic (30) and mama to V (10)
#447 of 603 Old 02-25-2010, 03:59 PM

So, I am amending my previous post.
I am thinking I might start rounding out my current wardrobe with some regency style gowns. Sense and Sensibility has some lovely patterns, and supplimental bodices to provide a more modest top. And my aforementioned beau thinks the style is just wonderful, and looks forward to seeing me in my new gowns.

Proud Catholic (30) and mama to V (10)
#448 of 603 Old 02-26-2010, 03:58 PM

Question: What do you all do for beach wear? We're going to the beach for a week in September and I need new ideas.

Midwife (CPM, LDM) and homeschooling mama to:
13yo ds   10yo dd  8yo ds and 6yo ds and 1yo ds  
#449 of 603 Old 02-26-2010, 04:03 PM

I generally wear a normal speedo one-piece under a long sundress and a light cotton sweater that I don't mind getting wet. It's a breezy, comfy outfit, and you can go in the water and still be modest.

#450 of 603 Old 02-26-2010, 04:09 PM

I wear a one peice swimsuit that's well covered, not skimpy. I'll usually wear a sarong on the beach, and just the swimsuit for swimming.

Caroline, partner to J, post partum doula, kitchen manager, aspiring midwife, soon to be nursing student, mama to my furbaby, someday a mama to not so furry munchkins, G-d willing

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page