Modest Dressing Mommas - Page 17 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#481 of 603 Old 03-10-2010, 07:04 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by PatienceAndLove View Post
I finally got fitted, and learned I was NOT a 38 DDD, but a 40H.
Lane Bryant has some turbo uber comfy bras.
Have you checked out Bra Experience?
Im not in the usa, unfortunately.

http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Wise-Woman-Fertility/182752565080597
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#482 of 603 Old 03-10-2010, 12:14 PM

I have some great wide-leg pants from duo maternity. Love them.

Sara caffix.gif, Keith 2whistle.gif, Toby 6/08superhero.gif, Nomi 4/10blahblah.gif, Mona 1/12 hammer.gif

Mama of three, lover, student rabbi, spoonie, friend, musician, narcoleptic, space muffin, pretty much a dragon. Crunchy like matzoh.

#483 of 603 Old 03-19-2010, 06:42 PM

I dress modestly!! I wear long skirts/dresses and modest tops and so does my dd. I am raising her to believe that women are beautiful and that modesty is beautiful and that only her husband should see "her". I make most of her clothes since it is getting so hard to find modest little girl stuff. I love my long skirts
#484 of 603 Old 04-03-2010, 10:53 PM

I've been lurking for awhile, and have read through all of the posts, so I figured it was time to introduce myself.
I'm LDS, so we usually dress relatively modestly by todays standards. I personally feel called to take it a little further.
I DO wear makeup, but never heavily. I wear long skirts and keep my legs covered. I wear temple garments under my clothes, so no bare shoulders or spaghetti straps. I prefer shirt sleeves to be 3/4 length or longer, but will wear slightly shorter sleeves when it gets really hot.
I'm teaching my daughters the value of modesty as well. It feels so empowering to embrace my "divine" femininity. It's also good to know that,when I'm talking to a member of the opposite sex, they are listening to ME, not looking at my boobs!
It's great to talk with others like me!

Crunchy, pagan, vegan,homeschooling wife and mother of 3 beautiful daughters and 2 wonderful sons

#485 of 603 Old 04-12-2010, 10:59 PM

The new fashion trends for pregnant woman. The clothing maternity you can browse here is much in in fashion world.
#486 of 603 Old 05-12-2010, 02:29 PM

New Here! Like kittymac, I am LDS so no bare shoulders or higher than knee-length skirts/shorts.

on a recent trip I've decided to try wearing skirts but I think long skirts are the most practical, since I'm all over the floor with my kids every day. I'm inspired by the Duggars since I noticed that I do behave differently while wearing skirts. What are your reasons for dressing modestly? Or is this covered in a different part of the thread that I ddin't read?

Any advice on stocking up on cheap clothing?

Akie, single mom to M (02/18/06), E (08/04/07) and Z (06/22/09)
#487 of 603 Old 05-12-2010, 02:30 PM

Oh, and how do you keep your midriff covered while nursing? Do you invest in nursing clothes or tanks, like the Glamourmom stuff? Or do you just use a nursing cover? I hate nursing covers but don't like that you can see my belly/undergarments while nursing, I think that's very immodest.

Akie, single mom to M (02/18/06), E (08/04/07) and Z (06/22/09)
#488 of 603 Old 05-12-2010, 05:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by akichan View Post
Oh, and how do you keep your midriff covered while nursing? Do you invest in nursing clothes or tanks, like the Glamourmom stuff? Or do you just use a nursing cover? I hate nursing covers but don't like that you can see my belly/undergarments while nursing, I think that's very immodest.
I just make sure my shirt's pulled down, or I'll layer a t-shirt w/a button-front shirt.

Me, my Sweetie , DD 1 (Dec 07),  and DD 2 (Dec 09). Co-sleeping, delayed-vaxing, quia Lutherans!
#489 of 603 Old 05-12-2010, 05:20 PM

I use a regular, loose tank top under my regular shirt - pull up the shirt and pull down the tank, and baby's head covers up any exposed breast.

Sara caffix.gif, Keith 2whistle.gif, Toby 6/08superhero.gif, Nomi 4/10blahblah.gif, Mona 1/12 hammer.gif

Mama of three, lover, student rabbi, spoonie, friend, musician, narcoleptic, space muffin, pretty much a dragon. Crunchy like matzoh.

#490 of 603 Old 05-12-2010, 09:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by akichan View Post
What are your reasons for dressing modestly? Or is this covered in a different part of the thread that I ddin't read?

Any advice on stocking up on cheap clothing?
I am a recent convert to modest dressing as well. I just reached a point where I wanted to be covered. I actually really like it and the one time I did wear jeans ( to a fair) I felt sort of vulnerable. I have found that wearing long skirts is actually easier than calf length. I am a teacher so I am up and down with kids all day as well and the longer the skirt, the easier it is not to flash people. I also wear stockings and/or leggings underneath the skirt.As for how to do it cheaply, I have just been making the rounds at thrift stores. I have found at least 1-2 skirts at each store I've stopped at and it is certainly cheaper than buying them new, especially with the prices they can be online. The only thing I've bought new was a swim skirt that I found online and it was 60% off.
As far as nursing goes, I saw a modest nursing top online. I think it's pretty much a tank top that ends just below your breasts, that is designed to be worn under a shirt. I think you could probably find a few cheap tanks or camisoles at a thrift store and just cut off the upper portion of it and hem it by hand and then wear it under a shirt.

M : proud mama to B (16) : and G (8) and : x 2 :
#491 of 603 Old 05-12-2010, 10:24 PM

congrats, smeis, on the birth of naomi. i hope you are enjoying getting to know one another.

welcome, kittymac and akichan.

i have been wearing dresses over pants, as i am 6' tall and it is hard to find shirts long enough. (and i like the look.) i want to get long skirts, but when i try them on....i feel like i am as wide as a house i want to be modest, but i also want to feel pretty—not in a showy way, but still. any advice on tops, or certain cuts of long skirts, that might help? i'm usually drawn to A-line shape.

i think i am asking for a shirt that makes my hips look narrower...

mama to one amazing daughter born 1/2004
#492 of 603 Old 05-20-2010, 03:16 PM

AFA nursing goes, a belly band under any shirt works well for me.

No neckline exists that I can hike a booba up out of.

computergeek2.gif  wife to bikenew.gif and momma to my intact boys headscratch.gif 06/19/06 and mischievous.gif 10/10/08 We delayed/selective vax; constantly wash.gif  always intactlact.gif

Niemals Gewalt
#493 of 603 Old 05-23-2010, 01:39 AM

actually i mind less when im nursing. i try not to show off everything and i can get a little weird feeling when some skin is showing but i', feeding my baby. its the time im less worried about being covered and more about getting my kid fed.

the tank top under a shirt is a good idea but so hot in the summer... i have all these muslim type shirts that are great but no good for nursing so i've just said
:P

transtichel.gifAk Hippie mama  ribbonpb.gifYamia  DSD '03 blahblah.gif  DS '07 ribboncesarean.gif  DS2 '09  hbac.gif & DS3  uc.jpg '12

homeschool.gifwinner.jpgfamilybed2.gifnovaxnocirc.gifcd.gifgd.gif

#494 of 603 Old 05-26-2010, 01:45 PM

Hello all!

Another modest mama here!

I'm trying to slowly transition to all skirts dresses but it's a long road to do so.

Btw I believe that modesty goes beyond just what you're wearing and also describes a lifestyle.

Treehuggin Mom of a beautiful little girl and Wife to a superhero husband.
#495 of 603 Old 05-26-2010, 02:12 PM

I'm the odd one out who actually does like nursing covers, but not the bulky specialty item ones. I have a bunch of semi-sheer silk chiffon scarves ... you know the kind that look more or less opaque from a distance but if they're close up to your face you can see through them about the same as sunglasses? IMO those make awesome nursing covers. Air flows in and out, the baby can see out, but an observer would have to really be scrutinizing to see in. Plus they take up no space in a purse, and there's no hassle involved in tucking a corner into the neckline of a shirt and draping. Works for me, at any rate.
#496 of 603 Old 05-28-2010, 11:35 AM

I went to Old Navy last night, and found.......

SKIRTS!!!!!!!! I was actually shopping for DS1, but on the way out I saw this fantastic long flowy, breezy skirt! Then I wentdown the aisle, and they had at least 4 different styles in calf length or longer!!! They are gorgeous! And they are all fully lined too!

I bought two...and I may go back for more...

computergeek2.gif  wife to bikenew.gif and momma to my intact boys headscratch.gif 06/19/06 and mischievous.gif 10/10/08 We delayed/selective vax; constantly wash.gif  always intactlact.gif

Niemals Gewalt
#497 of 603 Old 05-28-2010, 12:02 PM

No way! Affordable??

#498 of 603 Old 05-28-2010, 01:44 PM

$29.95.... lots cheaper than Shukr! and one I got has the same type of embroidery along the bottom!

lemme go check online....brb

ok, here's one-
http://oldnavy.gap.com/browse/produc...scid=752395012

and the store had this style- only in a long length!-
http://oldnavy.gap.com/browse/produc...scid=730604022

I got the top one. and one w/embroidery. the brown one almost covers my ankles!

Niemals Gewalt
#499 of 603 Old 06-02-2010, 02:47 AM

Hi,
I'm trying to be more modest. For me this means no cleavage, no spaghetti straps (usually not sleeveless, but it gets hot in the high desert in the summer). No tight pants, trying to switch to more skirts. As for nursing, I wear and cami with a built-in bra under my shirts so nothing shows. I'm also interested in head covers... And, oh, how I love the goucho pants.

I've actually been wanting to buy skirts from here. They're $29.95 as well. I can't seem to win the givaways

Quote:
Originally Posted by heidirk View Post
$29.95.... lots cheaper than Shukr! and one I got has the same type of embroidery along the bottom!

lemme go check online....brb

ok, here's one-
http://oldnavy.gap.com/browse/produc...scid=752395012

and the store had this style- only in a long length!-
http://oldnavy.gap.com/browse/produc...scid=730604022

I got the top one. and one w/embroidery. the brown one almost covers my ankles!

I'm Nina. Writer, doula, student midwife, non-conformist. Follower of Jesus. Wife to one sexy fireman, mama to four adorable kids. Lover of simplicity. And babies.

#500 of 603 Old 06-02-2010, 02:48 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by niengolina View Post
Hi,
I'm trying to be more modest. For me this means no cleavage, no spaghetti straps (usually not sleeveless, but it gets hot in the high desert in the summer). No tight pants, trying to switch to more skirts. As for nursing, I wear and cami with a built-in bra under my shirts so nothing shows. I'm also interested in head covers... And, oh, how I love the goucho pants.

I've actually been wanting to buy skirts from here. They're $29.95 as well. I can't seem to win the givaways
What types of headcoverings are you interested in?

Proud Catholic (30) and mama to V (10)
#501 of 603 Old 06-02-2010, 05:10 PM

Quote:
What types of headcoverings are you interested in?
I really don't know. Do you have any links I can check out?

I'm Nina. Writer, doula, student midwife, non-conformist. Follower of Jesus. Wife to one sexy fireman, mama to four adorable kids. Lover of simplicity. And babies.

#502 of 603 Old 06-02-2010, 11:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by niengolina View Post
I really don't know. Do you have any links I can check out?
my compy is being a bit weird right now, so i will just give you some site names, if that is ok

garlands of grace
headcoverings by devorah
cover your hair
hijab style (gives some great modest dressing tips)
and tznius.com has some good step-by-steps for tying scarves

Proud Catholic (30) and mama to V (10)
#503 of 603 Old 06-03-2010, 07:36 PM

Quote:
my compy is being a bit weird right now, so i will just give you some site names, if that is ok

garlands of grace
headcoverings by devorah
cover your hair
hijab style (gives some great modest dressing tips)
and tznius.com has some good step-by-steps for tying scarves
Thank you! I especially like the Garlands of Grace site. I'll be looking more at those.

#504 of 603 Old 06-04-2010, 02:29 PM

also, my fave headcovering is homemade. I found a peice of fabric with decent drape that looked nice (it's orange/pinky stripes, not as weird as it sounds though) cut it about 34 in by 34 in, and did a rolled hem on it. It ends up looking a bit like phatui's in her interview pic lol, in terms of style. I like it a lot, but I think I would do 30 in by 30 in next time for a "bandana style" but bigger scarf, or 36+ for a tichle style scarf to cover a bun. It's a little in between.

I also have bought several thin (in terms of heavyness of cloth. maybe 12-18 inches across?) rectangular scarfs at street fairs and markets over the years. I like to use them to make the dutch coronet from tznuis.com. I put my hair in two braids and pin them in a coronet on top of my head, securely and then I tie the coronet of the scarf in front of my braids. It's absolutely the most secure covering I have, I think I could surf/wrestle/run/chase toddlers/insert your headscarf losing actitivty here and dance all day, and not have it be even loose at the end of the day.

Caroline, partner to J, post partum doula, kitchen manager, aspiring midwife, soon to be nursing student, mama to my furbaby, someday a mama to not so furry munchkins, G-d willing
#505 of 603 Old 06-12-2010, 10:40 AM

Hello!

I love wearing skirts (although I do wear pants and its not really for modesty reasons, so sorry for the intrusion). However I am limited when I wear them to work because I need pockets. I have only 1 skirt with pockets.

Does anyone have a similar problem, or know of a solution for this? I just got 4 lovely new skirts and want to increase how often I wear them. I don't own a sewing machine, and although I would love one its not in the budget. I also would need to learn to sew if I did get one. So hopefully I can find an easy solution to this.

Thanks!
#506 of 603 Old 06-14-2010, 05:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dealic View Post
Hello!

I love wearing skirts (although I do wear pants and its not really for modesty reasons, so sorry for the intrusion). However I am limited when I wear them to work because I need pockets. I have only 1 skirt with pockets.

Does anyone have a similar problem, or know of a solution for this? I just got 4 lovely new skirts and want to increase how often I wear them. I don't own a sewing machine, and although I would love one its not in the budget. I also would need to learn to sew if I did get one. So hopefully I can find an easy solution to this.

Thanks!
may i ask what kind of work you do? that might help to know how much pocket you are really needing. do you have the kind of job, for example, where you could actually wear a short apron full of pockets?

i have this problem, too, and many skirts with built in pockets....well, the pockets are too shallow to really help (or too big and i look thick around the middle. there's no pleasing me i guess!)

i have thought of getting one of those 18th-century pockets that tie around the waist. they are sold at craft fairs in my area. perhaps not the most practical solution. i look forward to hearing the suggestions of others.

mama to one amazing daughter born 1/2004
#507 of 603 Old 06-14-2010, 07:43 PM

Hi!

Thanks for the reply! I work in a group home for men with special needs. I could possibly do an apron around the house, but I don't know, I don't feel like an apron kind of girl... I don't think I have ever worn one and I don't know I could pull it off... It seems too out there for me for some reason.

Basically I usually need to carry my cell phone, sometimes a laminated picture, sometimes keys or gloves or other small items. I have wondered about the tie around the waist kind, and like the premise but I haven't ever seen one in real life.
#508 of 603 Old 06-15-2010, 09:23 PM

way, waay, waaaaaaaaay up thread there was a discussion regarding bloomers; today I found this: http://www.vermontcountrystore.com/b...0?evar3=BROWSE

My babies were born at home! 09/07, 01/10, and 09/12 joy.gif

#509 of 603 Old 06-16-2010, 10:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faliciagayle View Post
way, waay, waaaaaaaaay up thread there was a discussion regarding bloomers; today I found this: http://www.vermontcountrystore.com/b...0?evar3=BROWSE
Me likey!

http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Wise-Woman-Fertility/182752565080597
#510 of 603 Old 06-28-2010, 04:25 AM

I have often considered sewing a small pocket to the inside seam of my skirt waistbands-- I bought a skirt that had one once. A machine wouldn't be needed or even preferred, since hand stitches would show less... hmmm.

I also have several skirts w a cargo pocket on the outside thigh- another option if you can find matching fabric...

Now I feel inspired to sew.

blessings

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page