Modest Dressing Mommas - Page 19 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#541 of 603 Old 11-11-2010, 01:08 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by LambQueen View Post

Jewish modest dresser here.  Wear skirts out of the house and no sleeveless.  having a hard time with DD who goes to a school where all girls where skirts, but on weekends at birthday parties all girls wear yoga pants, etc.  she is 7.  she was the only girl wearing skirts at a gym party.  maybe she should go to a more observant school where the girls wear modest clothing out of school also?  it seems so hard to make your child the outsider, even when it's in your own community, supposedly.

what about skirts over cute jeans? thats what i put my DSD in. and it adds extra modesty for jumping/tumbling/playing.

RainRaven likes this.

transtichel.gifAk Hippie mama  ribbonpb.gifYamia  DSD '03 blahblah.gif  DS '07 ribboncesarean.gif  DS2 '09  hbac.gif & DS3  uc.jpg '12

homeschool.gifwinner.jpgfamilybed2.gifnovaxnocirc.gifcd.gifgd.gif

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#542 of 603 Old 11-11-2010, 07:13 AM

Does anyone have any good connections for long tunics? There are times where I really need to wear pants for safety for modesty reasons. I was thinking if I could find a long tunic (like mid thigh or top of the knee) I could wear that over jeans or pants and be fine with it. I've looked at a lot of tunics on line but most of the ones I see look like a longer version of a normal shirt to me and I'm just not comfortable wearing that with pants.

M : proud mama to B (16) : and G (8) and : x 2 :
#543 of 603 Old 11-11-2010, 02:49 PM

I found this site:

http://www.eastessence.com

They have long tunics and long skirts for a really great price. I know some of you here wear head coverings and they have some nice ones on there as well for $7. All together I got three long skirts and 2 tunics for $90 and that included shipping.

#544 of 603 Old 11-13-2010, 08:18 PM

Hi-  I'm new on these boards but I think this is the tribe for me.  I'm not a mom yet but I do dress modestly compared to most people.  As a Christian, I feel that my body belongs to me and that I should save my body for my husband.  I describe myself as "modern modest". I still wear jeans but only loose fitting jeans and slowly making the transition to wearing mostly skirts.  I watch the cuts of shirts and layer with camis and undershirts if needed.  I very very rarely show my shoulders in public.  (was forced to as a bridesmaid in a friend's wedding as she refused to let me wear a shaw during the wedding ceremony angry.gif

I will continue to watch for for more ideas

Mom to cat.gif and looking forward to breastfeeding and nurturing future kids!  luxlove.gif
#545 of 603 Old 11-14-2010, 06:08 PM

you might find that dresses can work just as well.  so many dress styles are above the knee, whereas tunic-length tops on me (i am very tall) often are only to the hips. 

ones that are "shirt dress" style (like this) have a loose enough fit to go over pants easily.  i just found one from summer sale rack at Old Navy.  even a sweater dress can work, if it is loose and the pants fabric is smooth.

good luck!

Quote:
Originally Posted by wytchywoman View Post

Does anyone have any good connections for long tunics? There are times where I really need to wear pants for safety for modesty reasons. I was thinking if I could find a long tunic (like mid thigh or top of the knee) I could wear that over jeans or pants and be fine with it. I've looked at a lot of tunics on line but most of the ones I see look like a longer version of a normal shirt to me and I'm just not comfortable wearing that with pants.

mama to one amazing daughter born 1/2004
#546 of 603 Old 11-14-2010, 06:36 PM

Thanks kangamitroo, I did find some longer tunics on an islamic clothing site, but I also bought a few shorter dresses at Old Navy that look cute over pants. Great minds think alike! nod.gif

#547 of 603 Old 11-19-2010, 09:01 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)

Does anyone know of a retail place like Walmart or Target that carries something like a underscarf for a Hijab? I'm not Muslim FWIW I am Catholic.

I was already moving towards covering more of the time with a simple triangle of fabric, but I'm going to have to go to covering more skin in summer from now on due to medications that are making my skin very light sensitive. My Doc recommended a Hijab or something that provided similar coverage of the neck and shoulders - and it's too hot here in TX to wear turtlenecks in July! I'd like to get some now so that by summer I'm well practiced and have found what style works for me.

Scarves are easy as my thrift shop has them for .99 each at the most - often 2/$1, but I've never seen anything like an underscarf there.

And does anyone know anything about the almira hijabs that are easy on? I saw them online, but am hesitant to spend the cash as finances are very tight.

PatienceAndLove likes this.

Me, 29, Muslim hijab.gif single mama to T age 7 energy.gif We homeschool.gif saynovax.giffambedsingle1.gif and Love it!
#548 of 603 Old 11-19-2010, 11:58 AM

cotton headbands! walmart/krogers/whatever should have them over next to the brushes and stuff the thin ones will do but they often have thicker ones. Perfect for under scarves... and very plain so should be able to find them to go with any color scarf.

transtichel.gifAk Hippie mama  ribbonpb.gifYamia  DSD '03 blahblah.gif  DS '07 ribboncesarean.gif  DS2 '09  hbac.gif & DS3  uc.jpg '12

#549 of 603 Old 11-19-2010, 05:39 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)

"Jewish modest dresser here.  Wear skirts out of the house and no sleeveless.  having a hard time with DD who goes to a school where all girls where skirts, but on weekends at birthday parties all girls wear yoga pants, etc.  she is 7.  she was the only girl wearing skirts at a gym party.  maybe she should go to a more observant school where the girls wear modest clothing out of school also?  it seems so hard to make your child the outsider, even when it's in your own community, supposedly."

Before I sent my girls to a "more observant" school where they have a higher chance of being told that they can't study Torah as adults, shouldn't go to college, are obliged to submit to their husbands in marriage, etc., I'd buy them some long tunics or skorts to wear over yoga pants. Why chance a major problem instead of solving the relatively minor one? 

My DD wears yoga pants all the time, often under dresses but sometimes with just shirts, and I have not noticed that it is damaging her natural modesty or her Jewishness. But she is four. By the time she is 7 I will probably not want to see her spread-eagled in yoga pants in public, so I sympathize with your dilemma. 

DD owns about five versions of this outfit: http://www.hannaandersson.com/style.asp?from=SC|65|2|24|25|3||&simg=36325_B59, only with ankle-length leggings. With a sweater on top or long-sleeved white shirt underneath, it's very modest and entirely functional and she doesn't stand out at her Reform preschool. Nor does she stand out among the Chabadniks. And really, not standing out as a physical spectacle is kind of the point. 

#550 of 603 Old 11-22-2010, 05:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by onyxravnos View Post

cotton headbands! walmart/krogers/whatever should have them over next to the brushes and stuff the thin ones will do but they often have thicker ones. Perfect for under scarves... and very plain so should be able to find them to go with any color scarf.

I'll look - so far no luck with any of my local stores. I'll try Target and Sally Beauty today. I hope I find them as I need a pick me up - I found a beautiful grey knit skirt in my size at the thrift a few days ago, ankle length and so soft. When I went to put it on today I discovered it's made of Rayon - and I'm allergic! shake.gif

On another note - has anyone used these arm sleeves before? I'm considering ordering them to convert my elbow length polos into long sleeve to help keep the sun off my skin in summer but am trying to figure out if they fit plus size without looking like a sausage casing and or rolling down all the time. .

Me, 29, Muslim hijab.gif single mama to T age 7 energy.gif We homeschool.gif saynovax.giffambedsingle1.gif and Love it!
#551 of 603 Old 11-22-2010, 09:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by frugalmama View Post

On another note - has anyone used these arm sleeves before? I'm considering ordering them to convert my elbow length polos into long sleeve to help keep the sun off my skin in summer but am trying to figure out if they fit plus size without looking like a sausage casing and or rolling down all the time. .

Not from that store, but I have some.  While I've never had any problem with them, they're generally about elbow-length and might be a bit awkward under an elbow-length top -- gaping and such.  Usually they're more for women concerned with coverage when wearing particularly wide or bell sleeves than for adding length.   I've seen longer ones, but since they're not the norm they're typically advertised as such.

#552 of 603 Old 11-28-2010, 05:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liquesce View Post

Quote:

Not from that store, but I have some.  While I've never had any problem with them, they're generally about elbow-length and might be a bit awkward under an elbow-length top -- gaping and such.  Usually they're more for women concerned with coverage when wearing particularly wide or bell sleeves than for adding length.   I've seen longer ones, but since they're not the norm they're typically advertised as such.

I have never tried those but I know people sometimes make their own by cutting one end off of socks and for those you can do the same things with leggings which would also make them longer.

Wig wearing mommy to (06/12/09) 
#553 of 603 Old 12-10-2010, 12:31 PM

I am modest.. I wear pants.. long pants... my legs are ugly.  I was not blessed with legs that are pretty. I don't like wear anything low cut..pants or  shirts outside my house it makes me feel uncomfortable. Yup I would be the momma that you would say who the lady dressed like an old fart??!!

#554 of 603 Old 01-22-2011, 02:07 PM

clothing challenge for you mamas who are hooked on modest dressing blogs:

i will be attending a birthday party for the 7yo son of my boss, at their family's home in the late afternoon/evening.  the boy is my student.

my usual would be dark denim jeans, with my favorite dress/tunic: black with tiny white polka dots.  i would feel comfortable, at ease, and the jeans are a change from my work clothes.  

but, i don't want to over or underdress here.  modest, but less conservative than for work. 

#555 of 603 Old 01-24-2011, 09:53 PM

kangamitroo - that sounds like it would be fine. Normal everyday clothing. You are an adult you cam be a little more 'dressed up' then the children.

#556 of 603 Old 02-15-2011, 12:42 PM

I wonder what modest means to you? Is it a religious reason? what are the reasons? I dress modestly, but not for any religious reason or anything. I wear pants, shorts and tanks, but I don't wear anything super tight, or that will reveal cleavage(not that I have much). I don't wear short dresses or skirts. Some of the skirts and dresses I wear are still above the knee, but not too short. But it's mainly for my own comfort level. And, I'm average build, pretty slim, so it's not like I'm trying to hide much, I'm just a naturally modest person. The main reason I don't like to wear shorts is because of my horrible varicose veins on the back of one leg.

DH(9/04) DS(12/08) and DD(5/11)

#557 of 603 Old 02-23-2011, 07:22 AM

Mrs. Bone,

I dress modestly for personal reasons as well. My skirts are almost always down to the ankle and I pick tops that don't show cleavage or are super tight. I also cover my hair most of the time. All of this is just based on personal preferences and comfort levels. I don't like people looking at my body.

#558 of 603 Old 03-10-2011, 09:54 AM

MrsBone-  I do it mainly for personal reasons but also some religious reasons.  My particular denonmination of Christianity doesn't have "rules" for modesty but I feel as a Christian there are parts of my body that should be kept just for my husband.  But the type of clothing I wear is up to me and my comfort level.  I don't show clevage.  I keep my shoulders covered.  I do wear jeans/pants and capris.  Skirts and dresses to my knees.  I'm also considering covering my hair.

Mom to cat.gif and looking forward to breastfeeding and nurturing future kids!  luxlove.gif
#559 of 603 Old 04-29-2011, 09:48 PM

Okay moms. give me the skinny on modest children's clothing. I'm in need of the baby - 8 year old range for both girls and boys. I'm having a terrible time finding

• A button up shirts that are NOT white and
  • B: skirts that go all the way down and don't just stop above the knee. 

it seems that most skirts stop above the knee :/ and why on earth anyone thinks white shirts on small children is a good idea is beyond me... Help?

FBXMom likes this.

#560 of 603 Old 04-30-2011, 03:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by onyxravnos View Post

Okay moms. give me the skinny on modest children's clothing. I'm in need of the baby - 8 year old range for both girls and boys. I'm having a terrible time finding

• A button up shirts that are NOT white and
  • B: skirts that go all the way down and don't just stop above the knee. 

it seems that most skirts stop above the knee :/ and why on earth anyone thinks white shirts on small children is a good idea is beyond me... Help?I don't know about finding them new,

I don't know about finding them new, but I get all ours at our local thrift shop. Sometimes I end up going up a size to get dresses long enough, but if you buy ones with sashes it's not too noticeable most of the time.

#561 of 603 Old 04-30-2011, 07:36 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)

My son has tons of button down shirts in non-white colors. A lot are hand-me-downs so I'm not sure where they all come from but you might just be having seasonal problems - right now is not the best time to look for modest clothes for either gender. Land's End has the best quality dress shirts for little boys by far - I especially love that they come out of the wash ready to wear unlike the cheap ones that need ironing. 

Girls' skirts are so easy to sew. If you are not finding what you want I would recommend making them yourself. Circle skirts, gathered skirts, and even some fancier faux-placket skirts take almost no sewing ability. Recently Land's End had women's petite button down dress shirts on sale and I grabbed a couple for $2.50 each to make shirt dresses that will come down at least calf-length on my little girl. It is really hard to find pre-made clothes that fit all my requirements but they do seem to turn up here and there. I'm just learning that I can't wait until we *need* a certain size to shop and I try to grab the good stuff when I find it. 

Good luck!

XM,: mama to ds (5/08), dd (9/10) and ds (6/12) ! whale.gif :C.H.S & M.

#562 of 603 Old 05-09-2011, 05:31 PM

i would like to find long sleeved shirts in fabrics that wick moisture / prevent overheating, to be worn under sleeveless or short sleeved tops.  last year i had just cotton tees for this purpose and it was not so comfy.

i try for loose-fitting, lightweight longsleeves when available, but if i can layer a bit i will increase my wardrobe by about 75%.

suggestions for brands you've tried, as well as store / websites would be welcome.  this one looks great, except for only in turquoise in my size .

(i suspect someone answered this question for me last year....and then i did not have the $ to act on the answer.)

thank you!

#563 of 603 Old 05-23-2011, 07:23 PM

Hello all... I'm Muslim and so I cover everything but my face and hands (and sometimes feet!) I converted several years back so I've felt the difference in how people look at me then uncovered and now covered. Of course there are people who are haters, but for the most part people treat me with respect and I don't feel like I'm judged for my body/hair/clothes as I sometimes did before. I usually wear long skirts or maxi dresses. Sometimes I wear jilbab or abaya but I need to buy more since I'm breastfeeding and the ones I have don't open easily up top. I also wear dresses over baggy pants. I'm learning to sew so hopefully I'll be able to make some of my own stuff soon. I also think wearing hijab makes you look more put together. Something about wearing a matching scarf makes everything look more polished. This is a local sister who has some awesome inspirations for any modest dresser:  http://emeraldbrocadeconsulting.blogspot.com/ 

Quote:

I'll look - so far no luck with any of my local stores. I'll try Target and Sally Beauty today. I hope I find them as I need a pick me up - I found a beautiful grey knit skirt in my size at the thrift a few days ago, ankle length and so soft. When I went to put it on today I discovered it's made of Rayon - and I'm allergic! shake.gif

If there is a Muslim-owned shop nearby they may carry underscarves and arm sleeves. I see you said you live in TX. If you are in Houston or Austin I can tell you where to go.  I don't like the arm sleeves bc they fall down (I have slender arms) and the material isn't very breathable. I'm going to try to make some with cloth and some lingerie elastic.  

hijab.gif Learning to... sewmachine.gif andphotosmile2.gif with mybabyf.gifby my side!

#564 of 603 Old 05-23-2011, 09:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZakareyasMama View Post

If there is a Muslim-owned shop nearby they may carry underscarves and arm sleeves. I see you said you live in TX. If you are in Houston or Austin I can tell you where to go.  I don't like the arm sleeves bc they fall down (I have slender arms) and the material isn't very breathable. I'm going to try to make some with cloth and some lingerie elastic.  

While I don't have overwhelmingly slender arms so I can't say anything for sure, the ones I have from al-Muminat (the shorter cotton ones) seem a little more substantial than most I've seen and so are maybe less likely to slip.  They're a stretchy jersey material.  I'm never convinced things I buy from online Islamic stores labelled "cotton" are 100%, but whatever they are they're still more comfortable than the usual lace-edged synthetic ones. (Though if you do try them I'd probably stick with neutrals ... in addition to neutrals I bought "rose," which arrived a garish bubble gum pink.)  http://www.al-muminat.com/hijab-accessories-c-22.html

#565 of 603 Old 05-24-2011, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liquesce View Post

While I don't have overwhelmingly slender arms so I can't say anything for sure, the ones I have from al-Muminat (the shorter cotton ones) seem a little more substantial than most I've seen and so are maybe less likely to slip.  They're a stretchy jersey material.  I'm never convinced things I buy from online Islamic stores labelled "cotton" are 100%, but whatever they are they're still more comfortable than the usual lace-edged synthetic ones. (Though if you do try them I'd probably stick with neutrals ... in addition to neutrals I bought "rose," which arrived a garish bubble gum pink.)  http://www.al-muminat.com/hijab-accessories-c-22.html

Ah yes I have only seen those awful ones w lace! Thanks for the link!

hijab.gif Learning to... sewmachine.gif andphotosmile2.gif with mybabyf.gifby my side!

#566 of 603 Old 05-31-2011, 07:08 PM

I guess I would consider myself more modest than most people around. I wear kaftans or tunics and long skirts at home. Very comfortable, even in the Texas heat. I like the kaftans because they are one piece and I am done.

At work, I always put a tank/camisole under my shirt and my skirts come to just below my knee. I do wear pants but they must be loose fitting in the legs and backside. It is hard to find business professional modest clothing but I am making it work.

#567 of 603 Old 06-16-2011, 01:27 PM

i'm pretty modest, only because i'm still self conscious of my body still lol

#568 of 603 Old 11-25-2011, 05:29 PM

I am having trouble finding skirts this autumn & thought I would check in here for suggestions. looking for extra-long, as I am very tall and want it close to my ankles. usually I like the ones online at shukr, but this year, no luck. I'm looking for wool in black (perhaps also charcoal & a warm chocolate brown), & a simple A-line cut is best for versatility.

I love this trumpet shape (though this particular skirt is quite out of budget).

#569 of 603 Old 11-25-2011, 06:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kangamitroo View Post

I am having trouble finding skirts this autumn & thought I would check in here for suggestions. looking for extra-long, as I am very tall and want it close to my ankles. usually I like the ones online at shukr, but this year, no luck. I'm looking for wool in black (perhaps also charcoal & a warm chocolate brown), & a simple A-line cut is best for versatility.

I love this trumpet shape (though this particular skirt is quite out of budget).

I think Lands End has some like what you are looking for. I found some similar that were lands end at a local thrift shop. 

#570 of 603 Old 12-31-2011, 05:27 PM

Just saw this thread, I am trying to be more modest, Not that I was really imodest before.  My dp is excited about the idea, that I will be only for him....lol.   I like a lot of the clothes you posted, but they all seem pricey.  Is there a good place for someone on a budget?

M,partner to D,mama to Sofia (6/01), Madeline(11/04), and Quin(2/08)  Hoping for a tubal reversal baby SOON after the proceduremakebabe.gif

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page