Modest Dressing Mommas - Page 20 - Mothering Forums

Modest Dressing Mommas

wytchywoman's Avatar wytchywoman
06:57 PM Liked: 41
#571 of 608
12-31-2011 | Posts: 2,862

Thrift stores. I've found all my skirts there for only a few dollars. it takes some time and patience but I've never left a thrift store where I haven't found at least a couple of longer skirts. You could also buy regular length dresses and wear them over pants or leggings. I do this when I need to wear jeans for work.

Logan's Avatar Logan
09:07 PM Liked: 71
#572 of 608
12-31-2011 | Posts: 631

onyxravnos's Avatar onyxravnos
02:40 AM Liked: 22
#573 of 608
01-04-2012 | Posts: 2,455

So i just found this site http://katiesmercantile.com/ and for handmade clothing the prices are FANTASTIC! I'm going to order a dress from her tomorrow!

sahmof2girls's Avatar sahmof2girls
01:17 PM Liked: 24
#574 of 608
01-04-2012 | Posts: 729

I got 5 skirts 1 top and a beautiful cape and a scarf at  the thrift store today for $14 energy.gif

wrenb's Avatar wrenb
11:07 AM Liked: 0
#575 of 608
01-06-2012 | Posts: 56

Quote:
Originally Posted by onyxravnos View Post

So i just found this site http://katiesmercantile.com/ and for handmade clothing the prices are FANTASTIC! I'm going to order a dress from her tomorrow!

I have been really happy with Katie's Mercantile. I'm wearing one of their apron-style jumper dresses right now (I own 3). They are awesome for nursing and maternity because they button down the side seams. Recently they came out with a maternity insert that just buttons into the side seams, which means that my maternity jumper will still fit nicely after this baby is born. 

They also did a custom job on the maternity full slip for me, putting nursing slits into it. It's not a perfect fit because I'm in that phase of late pregnancy where my whole rib cage is larger than usual, but it works just fine under a shirt and jumper, and best of all it means one less waistband for me. 

The only problem with Katie's is that they don't have a shopping cart, so placing an order involves several emails. But that's a minor inconvenience compared to the price and quality!

onyxravnos's Avatar onyxravnos
02:37 PM Liked: 22
#576 of 608
01-13-2012 | Posts: 2,455

Yep I'm ordering a dress from Katie. and a slip too. I ermailed her because I was concerned if I would be able to nurse in it as well as I wanted longer sleeves that I could roll up and she said it would be no problem. joy.gif I'm all sorts of thrilled. The dress I'm getting from her is only $36 and I've never seen it cheaper then $55 anywhere else. Paying $55-$100 for a dress is just WAY beyond my means so this is perfect. 

glassesgirlnj's Avatar glassesgirlnj
11:55 AM Liked: 24
#577 of 608
03-22-2012 | Posts: 309

Saying hi in this thread!  For spiritual reasons, I've felt more and more called to dress modestly over the last few years.  I usually like to wear skirts past the knee and loosefitting shirts with sleeves, and I have a collection of headwraps though I don't always wear them (e.g., not at all in the office). 

I have some sensory issues with a lot of synthetic fibers, so I prefer natural-fiber items when I can.  I'll be looking over the suggestions in this thread.  Nice to meet everyone.

drobinson's Avatar drobinson
11:47 AM Liked: 11
#578 of 608
04-03-2012 | Posts: 29
I do try to dress as modestly as possible, though I'm sure I have room for improvement. It was difficult to give up shorter shorts and skirts at first, but now I have no problem with it. What's difficult is finding a modest bathing suit...they're out there, but really expensive. Anyone have any inexpensive suggestions?
OkiMom's Avatar OkiMom
12:08 PM Liked: 54
#579 of 608
04-03-2012 | Posts: 5,391

For swim attire I do a rashguard waterproof shirt and a pair of board shorts. I get the shirt a size larger than needed so I can really tuck it into my shorts.. I really don't like two pieces (I don't find them modest) and one pieces don't fit right (big chest, not big anywhere else) so this was the best solution I could find.

baileyb's Avatar baileyb
09:22 PM Liked: 295
#580 of 608
04-07-2012 | Posts: 2,323

Hi modest mommas! and sorry I am the last one to the party...

I am wondering if anyone could point me to a scripture(s) that speaks about women dressing modestly, etc. I know there are some but for some reason all I am thinking of lately is that God asks for mercy, not sacrifice. I am also wanting to start dressing the in the Modest fashion but I want to clear this up for myself before I start throwing clothes out and buying new. Thanks in advance and thanks for all the links.

mrstovar's Avatar mrstovar
04:36 PM Liked: 31
#581 of 608
04-08-2012 | Posts: 63

See 1 Tim. 2:9 & 10. "In like manner also, that women adorn themselves in modest apparal, with shamefacedness and sobriety; not with broided hair, or gold, or pearls, or costly array; but (which becometh women professing godliness) with good works."

Also see 1 Pet.3:3 & 4. "Whose adorning let it not be that outward adorning of plaiting the hair, and of wearing of gold, or of putting on of apparel; but let it be the hidden man of the heart, in that which is not corruptible, even the ornament of a meek and quiet spirit, which is in the sight of God of great price."

baileyb's Avatar baileyb
05:05 PM Liked: 295
#582 of 608
04-08-2012 | Posts: 2,323

Thank you!

germin8's Avatar germin8
08:58 PM Liked: 31
#583 of 608
04-18-2012 | Posts: 455

I haven't been reading the posts... but I am slowly on my way to modest dress and thought I'd ask here.

It costs a lot to change your wardrobe.  :) But, I have found that I really like long Islamic skirts. (I'm not Muslim.) Love their styles... well, certain ones.. without pleats & without elastic bands. I wear pants, but I'd like to replace my above-the-knee skirts with ankle-length skirts.

Would anyone know where I could find the best prices for stylish/modern long ankle-length skirts? What are some of your favorite websites? I like ShukrOnline.com and Artizara.com... but not always the prices.

Here is an interesting book... free online: http://www.coveredwithchrist.com/

Its written for Adventist but Ch 7 & 9 are interesting regarding how what we wear affects our health and the history of dress from back to Babyloniantimes through MedioPersia, Greece, Rome. I also find it interesting when the author said the higher "rank" you are, the more covered you are. Enjoy.
01:28 PM Liked: 24
#584 of 608
06-12-2012 | Posts: 309

I'm looking at getting some new headwraps/coverings/scarves and would like suggestions of your favorite suppliers!  They must be natural fiber, or at least a blend (I can't tolerate 100% synthetics on top of my head, sorry), and shouldn't be too expensive.

Some resources for long, lightweight, natural-fiber summer skirts and dresses would be welcome as well. It's OK if the dresses have short sleeves.

cynthia mosher's Avatar cynthia mosher
07:51 PM Liked: 37662
#585 of 608
06-16-2012 | Posts: 38,457

You have quite an active thread here. Would you be interested in opening your own Group? It would give you the ability to have more organized discussions as you'd be able to post separate threads for each topic - almost like a subforum. If you'd like to open a Group you'll need two volunteer group leaders. Discuss it and if you decide you'd like to, just send me a PM and I'll get you set up. :)

frugalmama's Avatar frugalmama
07:16 PM Liked: 130
#586 of 608
06-17-2012 | Posts: 1,155

Does anyone have a source for snood style caps that cover all the hair? I'm envisioning something like the front part of a tube style underscarf but with a snood sack on the back. 

Looking to transition to covering full time and want something that I can wear places I don't feel comfortable wearing a hijab. 

baileyb's Avatar baileyb
07:00 PM Liked: 295
#587 of 608
06-20-2012 | Posts: 2,323
Quote:
Originally Posted by frugalmama View Post

Does anyone have a source for snood style caps that cover all the hair? I'm envisioning something like the front part of a tube style underscarf but with a snood sack on the back. 

Looking to transition to covering full time and want something that I can wear places I don't feel comfortable wearing a hijab. 

Garland's of grace

http://www.garlandsofgrace.com/products-page/classic-coverings/megs-snood/

drobinson's Avatar drobinson
07:42 AM Liked: 11
#588 of 608
07-01-2012 | Posts: 29

Here are a couple of verses that address modesty:

I Corinthians 12:23

...and on those parts of the body that we think less honorable we bestow the greater honor, and our unpresentable parts are treated with greater modesty...

I Timothy 2:9

...likewise also that women should adorn themselves in respectable apparel, with modesty and self-control, not with braided hair and gold or pearls or costly attire...

02:56 PM Liked: 24
#589 of 608
07-20-2012 | Posts: 309

*sigh* I should never read comments on articles from the Internet... there's been some good coverage recently on Covered In Light (a group of Pagan women who choose to dress modestly as part of devotion to Deity or Spirit), particularly this article here:http://www.patheos.com/blogs/wildhunt/2012/07/pagan-voices-cora-post-michael-lloyd-aidan-kelly-frater-barrabbas-and-more.html

But the Christianity-bashing and Islam-bashing in some of the comments was ridiculous.  Whatever happened to having an interfaith dialogue?  I also noticed that most of the commenters who were so concerned about the poor, "disenfranchised", "oppressed" women were MALE... One of those "get off my team, you're making my team look bad" moments.  <:/ 

On a positive note, I got some lovely headcoverings from this Etsy shop: http://www.etsy.com/shop/SpecificallyRandom

sleepingbeauty's Avatar sleepingbeauty
09:42 AM Liked: 14
#590 of 608
07-25-2012 | Posts: 1,328

I'm not super modest.  I don't wear anything above the knee, nothing too low-cut.  No low backs either.

That said, I love going barefoot and I will wear spaghetti tank tops for those really hot days but not too low-cut and I don't ever show my tummy unless I'm in a swimsuit.  I swim, come out of the water and cover at least my bottom half.  I don't do one-pieces for swimming just because I'm really tall and they always ride up where they don't belong. >_<

So like I said, I'm not SUPER modest but I'm definitely more modest than your average 23 year old around here. (I'm kinda close to NYC.  I don't know if it affects the dress around here but I'd imagine it does.  And some of the things people wear (or let their kids wear!) are soooo inappropriate!

I started watching what I dressed myself in for my own comfort level (past sexual abuse) and just wanting more respect from the world.  To be more than just some sex object to be gawked at, you know?

ultrafighter's Avatar ultrafighter
10:26 AM Liked: 114
#591 of 608
02-13-2013 | Posts: 421

Completely new to the forums in general, but I love this thread.  And I've gotta plug my favorite headcovering shop, Sowers of Hope.  Everything I wear on my head I've gotten from their Etsy shop.  Including some custom tichels (scarves).  They're amazingly nice and willing to do affordable, custom work.

Ontario Silk's Avatar Ontario Silk
12:10 PM Liked: 0
#592 of 608
01-20-2014 | Posts: 4

My husband and I have been attending a (Holdeman) Church of God in Christ Mennonite here in Ontario for the last 3 1/2 years. We are in the fast approaching baptism into the church. We were formerly (conservative) Pentecostal. now this is my problem.... In the Pentecostal church that I went to all my life, ( I am now 50 yrs old) we dressed very modestly. However our clothing was all store bought. The Mennonites in this congregation make all their clothes. I was wondering where to get a pattern for my size so I could attempt to start to make my own. I have had a lady of our sister congregations teach me to sew. But... we are using her pattern and there is a lot of adjustments every time. I am looking for something that would be easy for a beginner like myself to do. Something of my own. I would need I would guess a size 24 Canadian, as my hips are wide. If someone could help me I would really appreciate this so very much.

3lilchunklins's Avatar 3lilchunklins
12:40 PM Liked: 7462
#593 of 608
01-20-2014 | Posts: 1,657
You might get some help if you start a thread in the spirituality forum. HTH
smeisnotapirate's Avatar smeisnotapirate
01:52 AM Liked: 13
#594 of 608
01-23-2014 | Posts: 5,738

Re-joining. Currently in Jerusalem and *loving* the options for modest dress here. All shapes and sizes. I've bought a million scarves and some long skirts and the variety is amazing. I've had lots of fun finding different ways to cover my hair, from minimal (headband/kippah) to full snood/tichel. It's everywhere, and I'm getting a lot of enjoyment out of mimicking the styles I see on the street and having easy access to modest styles.

There was a post earlier about getting our own group. Did that ever happen? I can't seem to find it if we did.

frugalmama's Avatar frugalmama
06:54 PM Liked: 130
#595 of 608
01-24-2014 | Posts: 1,155
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ontario Silk View Post

My husband and I have been attending a (Holdeman) Church of God in Christ Mennonite here in Ontario for the last 3 1/2 years. We are in the fast approaching baptism into the church. We were formerly (conservative) Pentecostal. now this is my problem.... In the Pentecostal church that I went to all my life, ( I am now 50 yrs old) we dressed very modestly. However our clothing was all store bought. The Mennonites in this congregation make all their clothes. I was wondering where to get a pattern for my size so I could attempt to start to make my own. I have had a lady of our sister congregations teach me to sew. But... we are using her pattern and there is a lot of adjustments every time. I am looking for something that would be easy for a beginner like myself to do. Something of my own. I would need I would guess a size 24 Canadian, as my hips are wide. If someone could help me I would really appreciate this so very much.

I'm not familiar with that sect, but Christian Light Education has a sewing program that might work. They are mostly Mennonite. http://www.clp.org/store/browse/79_home_economics is the direct link.

mum4vr's Avatar mum4vr
03:03 PM Liked: 33
#596 of 608
01-28-2014 | Posts: 413

Hi Ladies, it's great this thread is going again C:

I haven't checked that link out, but Ontario Silk, have you just saved a "copy" of the altered pattern/s from the lady who helped you? When DD and I sew & change patterns, we usually make the new garment in a "mock up" with very inexpensive muslin with VERY large, loose stitches and tweak & tailor it, marking all changes & directions right on the fabric in sharpie--- then we pull out the stitches & use that muslin as the pattern for future garments & we know they'll be exactly right bc we make all our "mistakes" on the muslin pattern itself rather than on our better fabric. We did undergarments this way & I was so glad I could save my DD from the frustration of trying to find a bra that fits properly at a big box store! Plus I have a set of truly comfortable nursing items bc I made them just as I pleased. I know, I ramble, sorry, but the point is, we made several versions of a couple pattern pieces in particular before we got the fit just right, and then could easily make many sets of clothes exactly right.

Another idea you may like is to see clothes you're interested in, take notice of how they're constructed, and make your own patterns...? I know this is not for everyone, but if you like, I can pm you a full cirlce skirt that I basically made up this way.

Also, have you tried your local fabric stores? Many have simple inexpensive patterns you may like.

Please let us know what you find and what works out for you C:

05:14 PM Liked: 0
#597 of 608
01-28-2014 | Posts: 4

Thank you for your reply. 

I just acquired a dress dummy and someone told me about this really neat way of making one of my own shape with duct tape. so all that I need to do is make the duct tape one and then put it on the dress dummy and voila my perfect body shape. Now this is where you advise will come in handy. Yes I do have the original pattern that the lady made for me cut out in newspaper. so I will use an old starched sheet instead of muslin and that should work. At least in my logic it does...LOL I decided that since I need home dresses as well as church dresses that I will just go to the second hand stores and get gently used flat sheets for the home dresses and that way It will cost me about 5$ a dress including the new thread and buttons/zipper. I am of on this adventure! thanks again for your input and great advise.

Pam:joy

07:07 PM Liked: 0
#598 of 608
01-28-2014 | Posts: 4

Not sure what you mean by PM . You were referring to a skirt pattern???

mum4vr's Avatar mum4vr
05:57 PM Liked: 33
#599 of 608
01-30-2014 | Posts: 413

Oh, a duct tape pattern; I love it! What a great idea!

PM = private message...

I can describe how to make the skirt, but it seems like one of those things that is soooo easy to show & so complicated to describe, LOL.

If anyone is interested, I can try C:

germin8's Avatar germin8
06:20 PM Liked: 31
#600 of 608
01-31-2014 | Posts: 455
yes, I have purchased skirts and dresses for $5 and for sizes larger than me... then modify them to fit me. i'ts been a fun project. i have even bought a maternity dress to modify for my daughter.

Have you checked ebay or etsy for dresses? maybe they cost more...

also, try a discount fabric store. I was visiting Texas and foind a discoint fabric store that sells for $1/yd to $10/yd. great deals!

Reply Subscribe Finding Your Tribe