Forum Jump: 

Old 05-06-2008, 01:00 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by UmmIbrahim View Post
I
I must say, I am totally a fan of ShukrOnline...they r a bit pricy but the quality is FANTASTIC and ALL is very very modest yet classic/stylish. I LOVE their stuff.
Oh wow, that stuff looks great. This is exactly the sort of outfit I am comfortable in, minus the gathered cuff on the sleeve:

http://www.shukronline.com/wb0661.html

But you're right, it is kind of pricey.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-06-2008, 01:29 AM

thanks for the shukr link, the skirts are just the type that i love! i bookmarked it, so when we have $$ again, i can get one!

"give me life, give me pain, give me myself again" - tori amos
30yo SAHM of 4 DS's: 10/98, 6/01, 2/03 and 11/04, wife to DH, 33
Old 05-06-2008, 04:29 AM

To those who mentioned a desire to dress more modestly now that they have daughters... do you have sons as well?

I wonder, would the birth of a son spark the same kind of desire?

(fwiw, I'm a Jewish mama moving towards more observance, slowly making the move to more modest dress. Also, I have batwings. When did that happen? Not so cute in tank tops, let me tell you.)

If I could choose any style of dress, it would be the Indian/Hindu Kameez style of tunics over pants. They are SO beautiful and flattering! I personally wouldn't feel comfortable, however, since they are so closely associated with another culture and religion. I also enjoyed the link to ShukrOnline - totally my style

My babies were born at home! 09/07, 01/10, and 09/12 joy.gif

Old 05-06-2008, 12:06 PM

wow, thank you for that link! I can't wait to save up and get a few items.

I have a question... how did all of your husbands respond to your modest dressing? For my husband this is a huge change from what he is used to. Especially since all of his friends are not even church goers at all. He has been really supportive of my views but I don't really want to push too far too fast...

Any tips would be great!

Button 08-12-09 

Baby Vi 05-18-11

Old 05-06-2008, 01:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faliciagayle View Post
To those who mentioned a desire to dress more modestly now that they have daughters... do you have sons as well?

I wonder, would the birth of a son spark the same kind of desire?

(fwiw, I'm a Jewish mama moving towards more observance, slowly making the move to more modest dress. Also, I have batwings. When did that happen? Not so cute in tank tops, let me tell you.)

If I could choose any style of dress, it would be the Indian/Hindu Kameez style of tunics over pants. They are SO beautiful and flattering! I personally wouldn't feel comfortable, however, since they are so closely associated with another culture and religion. I also enjoyed the link to ShukrOnline - totally my style
I only have a son, but I hope to have daughters in the future. It wasn't so much his birth that inspired me, but it is now his life. I started going to the LDS church when he was 9 months old and joined in December, and I just think about how I lacked a proper role model growing up, and I want my son to grow up in a home where he has respect for women and wants to marry the right kind of woman, kwim?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olives
I have a question... how did all of your husbands respond to your modest dressing? For my husband this is a huge change from what he is used to. Especially since all of his friends are not even church goers at all. He has been really supportive of my views but I don't really want to push too far too fast...
My husband had an issue at first. I stopped wearing pants (something I've been wanting to do for YEARS but never did) and he said he wanted me to occationally wear something sexy out so he could "show me off". Once he realized that that wasn't going to happen, he was fine. It was more of a "I respect your choice, but I just want to make sure you know my complaint" and then it was dropped. I recently bought some really wild fabric to make a dress with because he wanted me to wear something more "gothic". It turned out really awesome, and it's still the same, modest dress pattern I usually use, just spiced up a bit more to DH's liking.

picture of dress

Momma to DS1 4/5/06 nursed with IGT to self-weaning at 27 months, DS2 1/20/09 still nursing, DS3 due late November - planning to tandem with IGT and SNS
Old 05-06-2008, 01:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by magstphil View Post
OT but Tricia your daughter is so gorgeous!
Thank you....

Seperated, Cape Dress Wearing, Covered, Conservative Mennonite Mama to big girl K.
Old 05-06-2008, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by annettemarie View Post
Oh, wow, Tricia! I didn't know you converted to Mennonite! I was just at a Midwife Day celebration with lots of Amish and Mennonite midwives. Some were "granny" midwives (there was one very old Amish women. She looked rather severe but Daniel loved her. She would pick him up and they would just beam at each other. He was trying to pull the pins from her dress ) and some were CPMs.
Yeah it is usually a shocker for all who know me... my family still has issues with the conversion but my mom is supportive and i have a new family now so its all good...

i feel free'r this way... i don't have to worry about making sure im completely covered by pulling down my shirt etc... it is disgusting to see what the young girls wear these days... i am glad that my dd has followed in my ways and she goes to a private mennonite school and we don't have to worry about bad influences...

Seperated, Cape Dress Wearing, Covered, Conservative Mennonite Mama to big girl K.
Old 05-06-2008, 01:43 PM

Mentioned: 127 Post(s)
Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Faliciagayle View Post
I would live in clothes like that, too, or, as I mentioned previously in a jilbab or something similar, but I have the same concern with wearing something that is part of a culture/religion I clearly am not a part of. It's not like I'd feel 'less Christian' or anything... it's hard to explain. I just don't have that much of a go-against-the-flow mentality, I suppose.

Monkey (30) + Pirate (28) = a forever family (5/10) - Baby Bird (8/12), our long-awaited first, one (9/13 @ 7w 6d), and Baby Yummy (10/6/14)

PCOS
Old 05-06-2008, 06:39 PM

I confess, I have drooled over some of the clothes muslim women wear. I would LOVE to wear them. I just don't think I am so *go against the flow* either.

But oh I wish I was. Some of the sites catering to orthodox Jewish women are very pretty too. I'll have to see if I can dig up some links.
Old 05-07-2008, 01:10 AM

Put your reservations aside and wear what you want! Even if you think it belongs to some other "culture"/religion. What's that saying "Imitation is the best form of flattery" or something like that I'm sure I butchered that.

Anyway off topic, but do you modest mamas have anything you prefer to wear in labour/birth??
I designed a pair of pants that are totally covered with a hidden slit in the crotch area for the birth time but when it comes down to it I honestly want to wear something "nice" for the labour. Maybe a knee-length stretchy dress? I don't know..I know most of the replies I see on MDC say they went naked, but I'm not comfortable doing that, even if I were to UC. I just dont walk around naked yk?
Wondered what you all did.

Helping women overcome postpartum depression and birth trauma. http://www.postmommyhood.com

Old 05-07-2008, 02:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by neveryoumindthere View Post
Put your reservations aside and wear what you want! Even if you think it belongs to some other "culture"/religion. What's that saying "Imitation is the best form of flattery" or something like that I'm sure I butchered that.

Anyway off topic, but do you modest mamas have anything you prefer to wear in labour/birth??
I designed a pair of pants that are totally covered with a hidden slit in the crotch area for the birth time but when it comes down to it I honestly want to wear something "nice" for the labour. Maybe a knee-length stretchy dress? I don't know..I know most of the replies I see on MDC say they went naked, but I'm not comfortable doing that, even if I were to UC. I just dont walk around naked yk?
Wondered what you all did.

I plan on wearing a long swim skirt with a comfortable tank top. It will only be Dh and the 2 midwives here though.
Old 05-07-2008, 11:20 AM

I've seen shorter swim skirts, but not long ones. Where could I get one?
That sounds ideal

Helping women overcome postpartum depression and birth trauma. http://www.postmommyhood.com

Old 05-07-2008, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilsparrow View Post
I confess, I have drooled over some of the clothes muslim women wear. I would LOVE to wear them. I just don't think I am so *go against the flow* either.

But oh I wish I was. Some of the sites catering to orthodox Jewish women are very pretty too. I'll have to see if I can dig up some links.
http://www.fmfcorp.com/familyspot/shopping.html has a fabulous collection of links.

Regarding to what to wear in birth, by my home birth, I wore a knee length t-shirt, and put a robe over that, planning on removing the robe for delivery...I had no presence of mind to do that, and I ended up wearing my robe hiked up and just delivered my baby standing!
Old 05-07-2008, 12:28 PM

I saw a skirt designed for modest birthing once. Maybe you could google it? Personally, labor is a whole different arena. I can't stand to have clothes on. But I understand that some people aren't comfortable with that.

Momma to DS1 4/5/06 nursed with IGT to self-weaning at 27 months, DS2 1/20/09 still nursing, DS3 due late November - planning to tandem with IGT and SNS
Old 05-08-2008, 01:26 AM

Quote:
I've seen shorter swim skirts, but not long ones. Where could I get one?
That sounds ideal
Mine is just above my knees. I don't know if that is long enough for you but better than naked if you are going for that. My friend gave me mine but I have seen long ones at JcPenny and Kohls and stores like that.
Old 05-08-2008, 01:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonprysm View Post
I saw a skirt designed for modest birthing once. Maybe you could google it? Personally, labor is a whole different arena. I can't stand to have clothes on. But I understand that some people aren't comfortable with that.
Here is a good site...

http://www.birthinbinsi.com/index.htm

I would love one but I am too cheap to spend that on one day.
Old 05-08-2008, 01:29 AM

Here's a birthing skirt. Now the one I originally saw, though. I'll keep looking.

http://www.supermomz.com/store/origi...nsi-p-272.html

Old 05-09-2008, 03:56 AM

:

"Love Is Something Eternal, The Aspect My Change, But Not The Essence"
Old 05-09-2008, 01:13 PM

Quote:
I agree. The headcovering that I wear a lot is somewhat mennonite/amish. At first I felt kind of uncomfortable going out of the house in it, but eventually I learned not to care. And I've never had anybody say anything bad about it, and we have a huge mennonite community here.

Old 05-09-2008, 04:48 PM

Hi. I just found this forum. Please add me to the group of modest-dressing mamas. I am Orthodox Jew and thus always dressed with arms and legs covered. Only wear skirts. Head covered - I usually wear hats or scarves, but own a wig for "fancy" dress. I have enjoyed reading and learning from the group.
Old 05-10-2008, 04:39 AM
Banned

I dress modestly. So do my children, including 4 yo son.
Old 05-10-2008, 05:42 AM

: I dress modestly.
I have one pair of jeans, but my other pants are big baggy patchy cords that I wear in winter. In cold weather I wear long skirts. In warm weather I wear shorter skirts that go below the knee so they don't get tangled in my bike. Occasionally I wear capris, but no shorts. I mostly wear 3/4 length or longer sleeves year round. I have a couple shorter sleeve tee shirts.

I cover my head, but for practical reasons. I have really long, heavy hair, and scarves and hair wraps keep my hair out of the way.
Old 05-12-2008, 04:14 AM

Hi! I am a modest dressing MOMYS.

FTR, my idea of modest is nothing overly tight or revealing. I will wear short sleeved shirts, and SOMETIMES (although very rarely, and usually only when REALLY hot) a sleveless shirt, but never anything that can not be worn without a bra (so no speghetti straps, strapless, or backless). I MAY wear shorts, but only longer shorts (and those, again, only if REALLY hot, and only around my house and yard).

I prefer to wear LONG skirts, ankle lenghth (my preference, not an "obligation"). I will wear dresses that are calf lenghth and I will wear jeans.

My basic "standards" for modesty that I and my family adhere to:
Shorts, only if longer than the tips of your fingers.
Shirts, that you can conceal a bra under and will not show belly when arms are lifted above your head.
Skirts, that come below the kneecap when sitting, at least.
Pants, that are waste high (no really low cut, or bagging so they fall off), and not overly tight.
Bathing suits, one piece unless it is more of a shirt/shorts combo kind, and is not "high cut on bottom" or "low cut on top".
And my girls wear bras as soon as they begin to show. (I know that is a big thing here, but we are a "little" on the bigger side so it looks much nicer when we have them on.)

My girls (including me) do not cut hair shorter than shoulder length (conviction), we believe girls should look like "girls".
My boys do not have hair longer than shoulder length - not really a conviction, but a standard based on beliefs as well as practicallity-DH, and my boys have very "wirey" hair, more like AA hair so it "afros" if it gets long and looks really horrible.

I don't force my beliefs on others, nor do I look down on someone that is dressed differently. Even for my girls, it is not a burden that I "force" on them, it is just a standard that I have always believed and they have picked it up by watching my example over the years.

Anyways, just wanted to introduce myself a bit.

Any misspellings or grammatical errors in the above statement are intentional;
they are placed there for the amusement of those who like to point them out.
Old 05-12-2008, 04:22 AM

Hey Jenny! You know how I love to have you around Glad to see you here.

Maggie, blissfully married mama of 5 little ladies on my own little path. homeschool.gif gd.gifRainbow.gif
Old 05-14-2008, 12:27 PM

Hi there, another modest dressing Momma here.

I have gone through different phases of modesty since I became convicted about the way I dressed. When I was a teen and young adult I dressed sexy often. Short shorts, cleavage, the whole nine yards.

In my early 20's I felt I needed to change my dress and went in the total opposite direction of where I had been. I was wearing some pretty frumpy stuff. My poor DH was horrified.

I slowly found my own standard of modesty and style. Mostly long skirts and shirts that were not too low cut. I really like "hippy" patchwork skirts and a t-shirt. I like ankle length skirts best but I have a couple that are just below my knee. Knee length is as short as I go.

I have recently added capris back into my DD's and I's wardobes. I do not like how shorts look on women or girls, it is a personal choice so we just do not go there. I will wear a pair of my husbands at home to garden or work out but not in public.

I wear tank tops as long as they do not show unneeded cleavage. I also wear some more form fitted t-shirts because while I want to be modest I do not want to look frumpy and baggy shirts make me look like I am really over weight because I have a larger chest and it makes the shirt hang off me like a tent.

I have the same standards for my DD who is 8. I have been teaching her about modesty since she was quite small so she is used to it and has no problem with it. I really have never had a time when she has complained or asked for something that was not modest. She does ask at times for jeans which I do not love but I will let her wear if they are modest and not too low cut or tight. I do not want her to be a a sexual object.

It's good to hear that there are so many modest ladies from all backgrounds who are choosing to go against the grain and dress more modestly than mainstream culture wants us to.

flower.gif Amanda flower.gif

Conservative, Christian, and Crunchy!

Wife of T, Mom of Z18, E15, M14, and D10.

Praying for a Reversal Blessing! 

Old 05-14-2008, 02:38 PM

Hey, I don't know how you ladies feel about swimwear but I usually dread this time of year because I can never find a cute bathing suit. All the "modest" ones are modest on top with thick straps and higher cuts, but the bottoms still show off too much leg (that, and, ahem, I don't wax ) and I get discouraged. But I just found this website with has swimming shorts & skirts and thought some of you would be interested.

http://www.athleta.com/jump.jsp?item...=475&viewall=1

There's also this site:

http://ohanaswimwear.com/

Formerly known as "JessicaRenee".  hang.gif  Single mama to Jude (Sept '09)!  biggrinbounce.gif

Old 05-14-2008, 04:05 PM

Does anybody know where to find a modest plus size swim suit that doesn't cost $100??? Holy cow. I may just have to stay out of the water this year.

Old 05-14-2008, 11:30 PM

Ok mamas, I need your help! I need modest maternity shirts/skirts/dresses patterns, BUT I need plus size. I'm having a REALLY hard time finding anything, so help would be great! (and for dresses, they really need to have a nursing option so that I don't get caught in a position where I can't nurse DS if we're out somewhere and he gets tired).

Old 05-15-2008, 12:04 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
For some reason, I would love to cover my hair, but no one really does around here, so I haven't done so yet, it'll take more courage on my part.
I started this a few months ago and it's a very comfortable thing for me. I cover with a scarf or bandana. There are some Jewish women around here and some headcovering Mennonites, so it's not just me (though it's still not common).

Quote:
I seem to remember someone talking about daughters and modesty here. When do you think we should start dressing our daughters modestly? I have 3 little girls and I have a hard time with this.
I've always dressed my daughter modestly. As she gets older, I give explanations about why I have her wear some things. "We put shorts under your dress so you can play without people seeing your underwear." For me, I think starting out this way has kept her from feeling like it's a restriction and more that it's just the way we dress in our family.

Midwife (CPM, LDM) and homeschooling mama to:
14yo ds   11yo dd  9yo ds and 7yo ds and 2yo ds  
Old 05-15-2008, 12:20 AM

Moonprysm, here's a tutorial on adding a drop-front to your dress for nursing. It's on a Regency-era dress but it should be very easy to adapt to any dress pattern. Hope this helps!

http://www.sensibility.com/pattern/dropfront/index.htm

Formerly known as "JessicaRenee".  hang.gif  Single mama to Jude (Sept '09)!  biggrinbounce.gif

User Tag List