Mothering Forum banner

Modest Dressing Mommas

93K views 608 replies 165 participants last post by  germin8 
#1 ·
Anyone her besides me who dresses modestly? I have been for the better part of two years now. I have one pair of maternity pants everything else is dresses or skirts. My husband was reluctant at first but, now like that there are things just for him to see.

#5 ·
I, too, would like clarification. I am a modest dresser per my religion but my form of modesty might not be yours or a Muslim mama or a Amish mama, ykwim?

I am LDS (Mormon) and we are asked not to wear sleeveless, tight, or otherwise revealing clothes. Also, our shorts/skirts need to go to the knee.

At first I hated the idea of having to be modest, especially in the desert where I live, but now I love it! I have so much more respect for my body (this is my personal experience. I'm not looking down my nose at anyone) Treating my body as sacred (in my way) has really uplifted me.

#6 ·
I probably don't dress as modestly as this thread contemplates, but I don't wear tank tops or tops with spaghetti straps because I don't think they're flattering on me (or on most people
, and I don't show cleavage because I just feel uncomfortable with anything low-cut. The idea of drawing attention to one's chest just strikes me as odd, unless it's in the privacy of the bedroom.

I don't wear short (above the knee) skirts or shorts, mostly because of spider veins. I don't miss the shorts, and probably wouldn't wear those anyway because of my age. (I think most people just don't look good in short shorts once they pass a certain age). I do miss skirts, though.

I don't understand or like current fashions that seem to be all about showing off as much skin as possible, and wearing things that look like underwear. I'm not at all religious, but I just don't see how it's empowering to women to walk around half-naked while men wear clothes that reasonably cover their bodies.

#7 ·
Modest in different to everyone and every body shape. I don't wear anything really low cut because I have a big bust. I don't wear pants because I get lazy and start looking like a man with my husbands t-shirts. Pants can be modest if you can't see your panty line.

#8 ·
Well, I consider myself pretty modest. Nothing low cut or without sleeves. I also don't wear shorts or skirts shorter than mid calf. Nothing tight on top or on bottom.

I prefer skirts but have been wearing pants a lot lately since they are more modest for me at the moment since my two year old has the bad habit of lifting up or crawling under my skirts

#9 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Katzchen View Post
Well, I consider myself pretty modest. Nothing low cut or without sleeves. I also don't wear shorts or skirts shorter than mid calf. Nothing tight on top or on bottom.

I prefer skirts but have been wearing pants a lot lately since they are more modest for me at the moment since my two year old has the bad habit of lifting up or crawling under my skirts

I like long shorts but I have such short legs they look funny. I have a four year old that tries to climb under my skirts. When I see her coming at me I just hold my sides. Most of skirts are really long now, so it's only an occasional thing when she tries to hide...LOL

#10 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by magstphil View Post
I, too, would like clarification. I am a modest dresser per my religion but my form of modesty might not be yours or a Muslim mama or a Amish mama, ykwim?

I am LDS (Mormon) and we are asked not to wear sleeveless, tight, or otherwise revealing clothes. Also, our shorts/skirts need to go to the knee.

At first I hated the idea of having to be modest, especially in the desert where I live, but now I love it! I have so much more respect for my body (this is my personal experience. I'm not looking down my nose at anyone) Treating my body as sacred (in my way) has really uplifted me.

Dresses modest has changed me tremendously. It is not ordered at mu church it is something that once I learned more about I felt convicted about. I also noticed at one point before that men at church and other places were boob gazing a little too much. This offended me in many ways.

#11 ·
Another modest mama here

I cover everything except hands and face, with a scarf and long loose overgarment.
At home I wear whatever (tight, sleeveless, jeans etc) and with my girlfriends, usually jeans and a long top, no cleavage or back showing or low rise pants without a top to cover.

#12 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by neveryoumindthere View Post
Another modest mama here

I cover everything except hands and face, with a scarf and long loose overgarment.
At home I wear whatever (tight, sleeveless, jeans etc) and with my girlfriends, usually jeans and a long top, no cleavage or back showing or low rise pants without a top to cover.
It does get really hot here and so I will wear sleeveless. It can get up and around 120 degrees! What kind of overgarment do you wear?

#13 ·
I am beginning a more modest journey. I just had my fourth child, my little Charlotte, and during my pregnancy with her I felt the need to be really covered. I thought it was just the pregnancy, but it has continued, and now I wear sleeves at least to my elbow, and layers. It's already hot here, but it's probably better because I sunburn so easily. I wear some jeans, but I am transitioning to calf length skirts, and will probably, eventually, only wear those. For some reason, I would love to cover my hair, but no one really does around here, so I haven't done so yet, it'll take more courage on my part.

I think it's a matter of comfort, spiritual comfort, for me. It's me defining who am I on the inside to the outside. Also, I like the idea of my husband being the only one to see me. It's my body, I guess, I'll show off as much or as little as I'd like. I DO NOT think that showing skin is wrong, not at all, I just feel so uncomfortable when I do that it has gotten to the point of not being worth the discomfort.

Glad to know you Anita Ann!

#14 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by MommyAnne View Post
I am beginning a more modest journey. I just had my fourth child, my little Charlotte, and during my pregnancy with her I felt the need to be really covered. I thought it was just the pregnancy, but it has continued, and now I wear sleeves at least to my elbow, and layers. It's already hot here, but it's probably better because I sunburn so easily. I wear some jeans, but I am transitioning to calf length skirts, and will probably, eventually, only wear those. For some reason, I would love to cover my hair, but no one really does around here, so I haven't done so yet, it'll take more courage on my part.

I think it's a matter of comfort, spiritual comfort, for me. It's me defining who am I on the inside to the outside. Also, I like the idea of my husband being the only one to see me. It's my body, I guess, I'll show off as much or as little as I'd like. I DO NOT think that showing skin is wrong, not at all, I just feel so uncomfortable when I do that it has gotten to the point of not being worth the discomfort.

Glad to know you Anita Ann!
Well, hello Linsey!! I cover my hair and let's just say I only know one person who does it in real life around here. She just started covering. For almost two years I am the only person I knew in these parts who cover...well besides a few people going through chemo. Most of shirts are 3/4 sleeves but, I have a few shorter sleeves I wear. This journey all around has made my husband and I closer. He likes how my body and hair is just for him. In saying that this was not his idea nor did he order it.

#15 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by modest momma View Post
It does get really hot here and so I will wear sleeveless. It can get up and around 120 degrees! What kind of overgarment do you wear?
It gets hot here too, but like they do in the desert I'm guessing the extra layers keep us from sweating to death

I wear overgarments called Jilbab or Abaya similar to the ones here. The abayas are much thinner material and feel awesome when the wind blows through the sleeves on a hot day.lol

BUT I only wear solid colours with no other patterns because *for me* that is part of my modest dress. (In summer, I wear lighter coloured abayas.) Also, I never tuck my hijab in, I leave it out (they are long, to my waist) so that it completely covers my chest area. Underneath, in the summer I'm in tank tops, and pants and thinner socks with breathable shoes. It's hot but not unbearable in any way. I LOOOOVE the sun, it makes me happy!

HTH!

#16 ·
Quote:

I wear overgarments called Jilbab or Abaya similar to the ones here. The abayas are much thinner material and feel awesome when the wind blows through the sleeves on a hot day.lol
Wow those are so beautiful! I admit I wouldn't mind wearing one....and I'm not of the Muslim faith.

#17 ·
Quote:

It gets hot here too, but like they do in the desert I'm guessing the extra layers keep us from sweating to death

BUT I only wear solid colours with no other patterns because *for me* that is part of my modest dress. (In summer, I wear lighter coloured abayas.) Also, I never tuck my hijab in, I leave it out (they are long, to my waist) so that it completely covers my chest area. Underneath, in the summer I'm in tank tops, and pants and thinner socks with breathable shoes. It's hot but not unbearable in any way. I LOOOOVE the sun, it makes me happy!

HTH!
Those are great. I wonder if I would offend anyone wearing something like that? I am Christian but like to be covered and comfy.

#18 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Verity View Post
I probably don't dress as modestly as this thread contemplates, but I don't wear tank tops or tops with spaghetti straps because I don't think they're flattering on me (or on most people
, and I don't show cleavage because I just feel uncomfortable with anything low-cut. The idea of drawing attention to one's chest just strikes me as odd, unless it's in the privacy of the bedroom.

I don't wear short (above the knee) skirts or shorts, mostly because of spider veins. I don't miss the shorts, and probably wouldn't wear those anyway because of my age. (I think most people just don't look good in short shorts once they pass a certain age). I do miss skirts, though.

I don't understand or like current fashions that seem to be all about showing off as much skin as possible, and wearing things that look like underwear. I'm not at all religious, but I just don't see how it's empowering to women to walk around half-naked while men wear clothes that reasonably cover their bodies.
Yes, I would consider myself modest in this sort of way, and agree with most of what you've said here. I'm far from a prude, but I have no interest in that type of "fashion", or whatever... but most of it is just my personal comfort level. I try not to concern myself with what other people are wearing, though, but sometimes I do find myself wondering what the heck people are thinking.
I don't think people should stop wearing things they like just because they're getting older, though. I do wish people were more comfortable with showing their so-called "imperfect" parts, and were more proud of their bodies the way that they are. But it's all about comfort level, and I know that I personally don't want people looking at me, unless I know and trust them already... really, really, really well.

Anyway, I never wear dresses or skirts. Ever. I used to occasionally, but I realised that I wasn't comfortable in that, either. It just doesn't feel right to me, so I stick to pants. My point is thought that I'm not at ALL traditional, which is what I think the OP might be referring to? I mostly wear boys clothes. heh.

I think it's very important to just wear what you're comfortable in, whatever that means to you!

#19 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by bjorker View Post
Yes, I would consider myself modest in this sort of way, and agree with most of what you've said here. I'm far from a prude, but I have no interest in that type of "fashion", or whatever... but most of it is just my personal comfort level. I try not to concern myself with what other people are wearing, though, but sometimes I do find myself wondering what the heck people are thinking.
I don't think people should stop wearing things they like just because they're getting older, though. I do wish people were more comfortable with showing their so-called "imperfect" parts, and were more proud of their bodies the way that they are. But it's all about comfort level, and I know that I personally don't want people looking at me, unless I know and trust them already... really, really, really well.

Anyway, I never wear dresses or skirts. Ever. I used to occasionally, but I realised that I wasn't comfortable in that, either. It just doesn't feel right to me, so I stick to pants. My point is thought that I'm not at ALL traditional, which is what I think the OP might be referring to? I mostly wear boys clothes. heh.

I think it's very important to just wear what you're comfortable in, whatever that means to you!
Like I said before modesty is all in the eye of the beholder. I am more traditionally modest.

#22 ·
Thanks!

Luckily I don't have to worry about heat. If it's under 75 degrees out, I'll wear three sweaters and still be shivering. Where I live it's about 65 on average year-round. Dressing modestly is very easy for me.

#23 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by modest momma View Post
Those are great. I wonder if I would offend anyone wearing something like that? I am Christian but like to be covered and comfy.
Go for it! I can't even imagine any Muslim mama being offended by it. *shrugs*

#24 ·
Wow, this thread caught my eye right away! I've always been most comfortable dressing modestly (long skirts, pants, or sometimes long shorts in summer, loose tops), and did I ever stick out in high school!
I've always felt it empowering to dress modestly. My body is my own, and I am not going to allow any cultural pressure to tell me I have to dress as an object for male eyes (I know not everyone feels that way about the way they dress, but it always felt that way to me). Dressing modestly means dressing the way I want to.

Now that I have a little daughter I feel even more that dressing modestly is part of my statement against the sexualization of women, especially young girls. Although I don't think about it much anymore; it's just who I am by now, I guess.

So a big hello to all of you who are into modesty in one way or another!

#26 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Tithonia View Post
Wow, this thread caught my eye right away! I've always been most comfortable dressing modestly (long skirts, pants, or sometimes long shorts in summer, loose tops), and did I ever stick out in high school!
I've always felt it empowering to dress modestly. My body is my own, and I am not going to allow any cultural pressure to tell me I have to dress as an object for male eyes (I know not everyone feels that way about the way they dress, but it always felt that way to me). Dressing modestly means dressing the way I want to.

Now that I have a little daughter I feel even more that dressing modestly is part of my statement against the sexualization of women, especially young girls. Although I don't think about it much anymore; it's just who I am by now, I guess.

So a big hello to all of you who are into modesty in one way or another!
Well hello!!! Yes, I have a daughter and am especially careful since then. I have not always dressed modestly there was a spell in my 20's when I thought I'd be sexy LOL! Not a high point in my life.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.