Suzuki Mamas Tribe - Page 16 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#451 of 459 Old 03-25-2013, 04:13 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hi!  I just found this thread and am not up to reading 450 posts.  So, here's a quick intro.

My older DS, 6, has been playing Suzuki Piano for about 2 years now.  He's got Go Tell Aunt Rhodie down.  He's at group class right now as a matter of fact.  He's also learning Iron Man, or at least part of it.  He's REALLY excited about that.  

#452 of 459 Old 03-26-2013, 11:31 AM

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Yes: I have some advice! Take it a day at a time, and just do your best.

I have started listening to the recordings and doing now holds with my toddler. Good times!
#453 of 459 Old 03-26-2013, 11:31 AM

Yes: I have some advice! Take it a day at a time, and just do your best.

I have started listening to the recordings and doing now holds with my toddler. Good times!
#454 of 459 Old 03-27-2013, 06:28 AM

Ooh, I'm glad this thread has been resurrected. My 6 year old has just jumped up to a 1/4 size violin & is working through the minuets in book 1. Her progress is slow as she gets used to her new fiddle & we are keeping her practice sessions very short at the moment. My three year old has just started Suzuki piano. He likes it but isn't too enthused about practicing yet.

Grateful mama striving to respect the two precious beings entrusted to me DD '06 and DS '09
#455 of 459 Old 03-27-2013, 10:37 AM

Location: In the middle of nowhere, at the centre of everything.
Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenmama2 View Post

My 6 year old has just jumped up to a 1/4 size violin & is working through the minuets in book 1. Her progress is slow as she gets used to her new fiddle & we are keeping her practice sessions very short at the moment.

How long has she been on the quarter? Has she changed sizes before? Does the quarter fit her properly? (It seems a mighty big size for a 6-year-old, but obviously I can't see her!) The reason I ask is that in my experience with my own four kids who have grown through a total of probably twenty different size-changes, it's never taken more than a few days for them to adjust. As a teacher I've found similarly: I'll give the go-ahead to change sizes at one lesson and by the next lesson the kids and I have often pretty much forgotten the issue of adjusting. Sometimes there's a bit of 4th finger or bow-on-highway attention that needs to be given, but it's pretty self-limiting.

If it's been more than a week or so and your dd is still feeling like the new violin is requiring some significant adjustment, perhaps it's either too big or needs some adjustments (chin rest, shoulder pad, bridge curve, eg.) to work well for her. Does her teacher have any suggestions?

Miranda

Mountain mama to three great kids and one great grown-up

#456 of 459 Old 04-02-2013, 04:20 PM

She is fine now after two weeks. She borrowed a 1/4 from her teacher before we decided but I think it was perhaps it was a little lighter than the one we ended up buying and yes, she started on a 1/16 & moved to a 1/10 at almost five. We also bought a new shoulder rest but her teacher felt it wasn't deep enough for her shoulder so she is back to her old one. As for her size, she dances & is currently taking extra classes with 9 turning 10 year olds with no noticeable height difference. There is definitely some bow on highway attention needed, but her fingers are actually better as her 1/10 was really far too small.

Grateful mama striving to respect the two precious beings entrusted to me DD '06 and DS '09
#457 of 459 Old 04-03-2013, 12:27 PM

So you skipped from a tenth to a quarter? That might be why it took longer to adjust!

As long as he can bow to the tip without locking his elbow, it's an ok size.
#458 of 459 Old 04-04-2013, 04:36 AM

Yes, she did. After trying a 1/4 in her lesson it was obvious that a 1/8 wouldn't last long so we borrowed the 1/4 for a week to be certain. It's all fine now smile.gif

#459 of 459 Old 12-07-2013, 09:28 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

Very excited to discover this thread!

We're currently looking for a Suzuki piano teacher for my 4 y/o dd. We tried the traditional method / teacher, but they started right away with reading music - one of her homeworks was to trace the treble clef, and she can barely scribble her own name. Not to mention that I have absolutely no knowledge of music, so I couldn't help her at all with her practice.

At least with the Suzuki method I can attend the lessons and learn with her. So I ordered the book and CD and hopefully we'll start in January. She talk about playing the piano, I think she misses it.

Another thing: we don't have a piano at home :o. We were practicing on a small keyboard.

I have some questions for mamas of piano players: how do you help out with practice if you don't play the instrument yourself? (Or do you have any advice for me?)

And where did you buy your piano? We won't be able to buy a new one, but as we don't know anything about pianos, how do I make sure that the used ones are in working order?

I have been thinking of buying a keyboard, but I've read a lot of negative comments about them, especially from Suzuki teachers, so I wouldn't want to buy one, then having to buy a piano anyways.

I would also like to mention that ds also started Suzuki guitar when he was 4 and we had a very positive experience with the program.

Ds 9 and dd 5

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page