NFL football lovin' mamas! - Mothering Forums
1 2  3  ... Last
Finding Your Tribe > NFL football lovin' mamas!
kirstenb's Avatar kirstenb 09:55 PM 08-18-2008
I know I can't be the only one, but I don't see a tribe anywhere for us who live for the NFL football season!

Anyone else excited for opening kickoff? Who is everyone cheering for? Anyone else fantasy football addicts?

mamaof5boys's Avatar mamaof5boys 12:24 AM 08-19-2008
I can't believe no one else has posted!!! I LOVE football but have to admit I'm not too knowledgeable about it. I'm learning in my spare time!!

I'm a Broncos fan: Like the Giants too!

We have 16 month old twins and we joked about naming them Tiki and Plastico cause the names are fun. We probably should've named them Tiki and Rondell
SAHDS's Avatar SAHDS 12:36 AM 08-19-2008
::::::

I am a crazy addicted football fan. Don't tell anyone, but we just bought a 58" plasma for the sole reason of seeing Bob Sanders break someone's neck in life-sized goodness. Anyhoo, we love, love, LOVE the Colts! Our entire house is decorated in blue/white and I have tons of Colts stuff in our family room (down to bobble-heads on our mantel!) Love Peyton and Marvin, Jeff, Dallas, Freeney, Adam V., Saturday, Mathis, Addai, Wayne and on and on and on and on. My emergency back-up team is the Giants (even more so since they whooped the Pats) and, no, not just because of the Lil' Manning (but it does help).

Fantasy Football ROCKS! I had 3 teams last year and ROCKED in 2 of them (the third was an auto-draft and what am I supposed to do when it's drafting kickers in the 5th round???). One league I won and in one, I was ranked 2nd nationally in a few weeks.

I HATE the Pats - especially Harrison and Belichick and the Cowboys - especially cry-baby (literally) T.O and Roy Williams (cheap!). Am also extremely disappointed with Brett Favre and am disappointed in Chad Johnson.

Anyway, can't WAIT to talk football.

Being a SAHM with both kids in school, I have tons of time to watch ESPN - PTI, Around the Horn, Jim Rome and read my Sports Illustrated.

::::::

SAHDS's Avatar SAHDS 12:37 AM 08-19-2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by mamaof5boys View Post
We have 16 month old twins and we joked about naming them Tiki and Plastico cause the names are fun.
I think you mean Plaxico.
kirstenb's Avatar kirstenb 02:25 AM 08-19-2008
Oh goody, so glad there are a few others at least!

I grew up a Viking fanatic and still bleed purple and gold, although I do love the Chargers (my adopted team!). I love LT and think he is just a classy all around guy. I've always enjoyed watching the Colts- love those Maning brothers too!- and will cheer for any team that plays against the Packers and the Patriots.

SAHDS- am also disappointed in Brett Favre. Hate the Packers, but the man had a great run with them and is a legend. WHY oh WHY do you want to end your career with the JETS? I respected him for retiring at the top of his game. Now, I just shake my head.

We had our fantasy draft this past Sat and can't wait to begin playing. I have been playing in the same league for 8 years now with my extended family and love it. Football runs in the family I'm also comtemplating joining a few free online leagues just for fun- any recommendations?
SAHDS's Avatar SAHDS 03:16 AM 08-19-2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by kirstenb View Post
I love LT and think he is just a classy all around guy.
Yeah, he's a great player but he really disappointed me with his behavior in the playoofs a couple years back. Oh well, he's human. Not to hate on the Chargers but I hate Merriman. He's such a cocky guy and am always saddened when talented players take steroids.

Quote:
SAHDS- am also disappointed in Brett Favre. Hate the Packers, but the man had a great run with them and is a legend. WHY oh WHY do you want to end your career with the JETS? I respected him for retiring at the top of his game. Now, I just shake my head.
I know! How are you going to be the ironman, the heart and soul of a fan-owned team who adores you as a God then throw it away (after a heartfdelt retirement that made me cry) just to keep on playing? LET IT GO, Brett.

Quote:
We had our fantasy draft this past Sat and can't wait to begin playing. I have been playing in the same league for 8 years now with my extended family and love it. Football runs in the family I'm also comtemplating joining a few free online leagues just for fun- any recommendations?

Nice! DH and I have our first one next Saturday on Yahoo! STOKED. It's with a lot of our friends around the world. I play ($2 a pop) at a machine at a nearby restaurant and have won quite a bit of money and food I'll do my league last year on EA that I won too. I might hop around and check out more just for bragging rights
Mama~Love 10:25 AM 08-19-2008
Me!! I HATE missing a game, and am a loyal VIKINGS fan!!

Oh, yeah, the Packers . Hate 'em! I'm so sick of hearing about Brett Favre! I think what he did (joining the Jets) was a really stupid move. He won't get the respect he had in GB. If *I* was offered $20 million to NOT play, dang right I'd take it!
mamaof5boys's Avatar mamaof5boys 10:31 AM 08-19-2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by SAHDS View Post
I think you mean Plaxico.
: I think I'm going to be learning a lot from you all!!!!

We used to live in MN and the Viking were our team.... guess I'm kind of a fair weather fan! I agree about the Packers!! LOVE the Colts too!!

Tell me more about Fantasy football.....
kirstenb's Avatar kirstenb 12:07 PM 08-19-2008
Glad to see some purple and gold around here!

About fantasy football... You are in a league with a number of other people (mine has 6, although I have been in leagues with 16). One day you will get together with your league and have a draft. Instead of picking entire teams, you pick individual players to make up your own team. So for example, three of the players I drafted on Sat were LT, Maurice Jones-Drew, and Tom Brady (two running backs and a QB). You will also draft wide receivers, a tight end, a defense, and a kicker.

It can vary a bit league by league, but that is the overall concept. My team has 16 players total. Before the games start every week, I will pick who I want to play this week. We have to play 1 QB, 2 RBs, 2 WRs, 1 TE, 1 K, and 1 defense play every week. You play head to head with another team in your league. You get points based on how well your starters do in their games. Whoever has the most points, wins!

There are usually 13ish games in a fantasy season, and then the top seeded teams will play off in playoffs. Whoever wins the fantasy Superbowl, usually wins money (and bragging rights, which sometimes is better than money!).
ColoradoMama's Avatar ColoradoMama 12:16 PM 08-19-2008
Huge football fan here! I am a tried and true Chiefs fan with the Saints coming in as a close second! I also love the Vikings and the Patriots and since I live here I root for the Broncos when they're not paying one of my other teams! Yea, I know - weird combo. I am also a certified Raider hater. Being a U of A Razorback alumni and die hard fan, I nearly choked on my tongue when Darren McFadden went to the Raiders in the draft. He's dead to me now! I've never played fantasy football. Dh is also a huge football fan. He's a Cowboys fan which has been very hard for me because I used to despise them as much as the Raiders. I've had to tone it back for him! They did lose to the Broncos on Saturday. Bring on the football!!!
lactivist's Avatar lactivist 04:32 PM 08-19-2008
Okay now I have to post! I am so glad MY RAIDERS got Darren McFadden! I am a long time Chargers fan and now certified RAIDERS mama!!!

We also love our DUCKS here!! :

I have a couple teams I hate but will keep that to myself.

I love football and always have since I was a kid.

I try to learn and know as much as I can because it makes the game so much more fun.

Glad to see some other football lovers.

Wendi
pittnurse08's Avatar pittnurse08 02:48 AM 08-20-2008
Cheer the Steelers,
The black and the gold,
It's time for Pittsburgh’s heart and soul,
With Cowher power,
We'll get the job done,
This is the year we'll get that one for the thumb!

Roethlisberger,
Is ready to win...
Here we go,
With Ward, Randle El, and Cedrick Wilson,
Here we go,
Bus, Duce, and Willie will make a touchdown
And if you get in their way, they're gonna knock you around

Now the offense is ready to score,
Here We Go
And theres one thing we know for sure,
Here We Go
If we don’t get it in the end zone,
We’ll get 3 points off of Jeff Reed's toe.

We got Farrior, Porter, and Haggans,
Here We Go
Polamalu, Hope and Townsend,
Here We Go
The other team won't get any ground
'Cause the defense is gonna bring the steel curtain down

... of course the lyrics need to be updated now that we've got the "one for the thumb" and cowher has retired () and various players have retired/traded, but somehow this song never gets old. and seriously, how can you not love polamalu?? best hair in the NFL, hands down!

GO STEELERS!
kirstenb's Avatar kirstenb 03:19 PM 08-20-2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by pittnurse08 View Post
and seriously, how can you not love polamalu?? best hair in the NFL, hands down!

GO STEELERS!
I agree, he has good hair, but I always wonder- doesn't his neck get HOT when he wears it all down? Plus, I always worry that someone "accidentally" is going to get a handful when he's playing!
oregonmama79's Avatar oregonmama79 12:22 PM 08-21-2008
Im so excited for the season to start. Don't throw tomatoes, but I am an EAGLES fan! I am from Philly after all Now that I live in Oregon I am also a Seahawks fan (kinda). To me autumn is about leaves changing, weather changing, comforting food, and FOOTBALL! Can't wait!
SAHDS's Avatar SAHDS 09:02 AM 08-23-2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonmama79 View Post
Now that I live in Oregon I am also a Seahawks fan (kinda).
I live 20 miles from Seattle and I absolutely HATE the Hawks. Everyone in this state is so dang fair-weather, it's nauseating. So, I boycott the Seachickens on principle DH and I strolled into Qwest 2 Christmas Eve's ago wearing our M. Harrison and P. Manning jerseys and people were so rude to us. I wanted to yell at them to go hacky-sack or something. Blech. I know when the Hawks suck again, they'll all be taking their brand new jerseys back to the stores.

Oh, I do like Trufant, I went to high school with him and he was good friends with my BF. It's still odd to see my little brother play him on Madden!

And nothing wrong with the Eagles, Westbrook cleaned UP for me in FF last year!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kristenb
Plus, I always worry that someone "accidentally" is going to get a handful when he's playing!
Who cares about accidentally? You can legally tackle someone by their hair in the NFL.

As for good hair, I love Bob Sanders. I love everything about him, though
ColoradoMama's Avatar ColoradoMama 01:13 PM 08-23-2008
Quote:
Who cares about accidentally? You can legally tackle someone by their hair in the NFL.
No you can't. You can't even pull them down by their shirt collar. It's a penalty, and it's dangerous.
trebleme's Avatar trebleme 03:35 AM 08-24-2008
Hip hip hooray! I have found my people.

I was raised a die-hard Steelers fan and have never lost my love for the black and gold. Now I am indoctrinating my daughters to do the same...much to my Giants-loving husband's chagrin. Oh well, sweetie - they spend more time in my presence than yours and they will love my boys as much as me. So there! I even taught my older DD (when she was learning to speak) to say "Go Steelers!" I think my dad cried when he heard her! Now whenever she sees football on TV, she cheers for our boys. Warms my heart. :

We also have "adopted" the local boys (SD Chargers) as long as they're not playing the Steelers. Oh, and I also cheer for anyone playing the Cowboys - truly my most disliked team EVAH!

We don't do fantasy football here, but am eager to hear more about it.

Anyway, wow. I feel like I found a home.

Sharon
ColoradoMama's Avatar ColoradoMama 10:58 PM 08-24-2008
Well crap. My Chiefs are starting off with a bang not. Grrrrr. Ah well - it's still preseason.
Honey693's Avatar Honey693 11:27 PM 08-24-2008
Da Bears!! I will not miss Bears game if at all possible. We try really hard not to make plans for game nights and if we we'll listen to the game on the radio whiled riving there and back and we try to suggest somewhere where we can watch the game too. My husband jokes that if I go into labor during a Bears game I'll be too busy yelling at the TV to notice I'm crowning. I love watching the Manning brothers kick butt just so long as they're not kicking the Bears butt's (which always happens) and I watch Packer games just to root against them
SAHDS's Avatar SAHDS 01:53 AM 08-25-2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColoradoMama View Post
No you can't. You can't even pull them down by their shirt collar. It's a penalty, and it's dangerous.
Yes, you can. Per the Ricky Rule, the hair is fair game. It was put into place to discourage players whose hair is long enough to cover their name tape.

Also, it is also legal to pull them down by their shirt collar.

What you can't do is 'horse-collar' (the inside/back shoulder pads) someone. This is because of cheap-ass-player Roy Williams who broke T.O.'s leg while tackling him in this manner. After multiple injuries in 2004 (I think), the league instated the rule (in 2005), named for Williams (Roy Williams Rule).

As for pre-season, meh. I watch it cause it's football and I'm a fiend, but I never get my hopes up. The Colts usually go winless in PS cause Dungy likes to get creative and takes the opportunity to try out new things. Plus, he'll play 2nd, 3rd and 4th string to preserve the starters and give the back-ups some playing time. It all starts 0-0 at the beginning of the actual season, though
ColoradoMama's Avatar ColoradoMama 12:40 PM 08-25-2008
You know, I couldn't find anywhere that said hair-pulling is illegal. I remember seeing it called as a penalty last year though. Maybe it was a penalty that wasn't specifically hair-pulling. You know, like a late hit - the hit isn't illegal necessarily - the timing of the hit is illegal. Maybe it was something like that. Honestly, I don't think it should be illegal. I think they shouldn't let them have their hair below their helmets. It's dangerous to be pulled down by your hair. But hey, they NFL doesn't consult me!
kirstenb's Avatar kirstenb 02:52 PM 08-25-2008
I don't really get into the preseason games. I'll watch them if I am looking for something to do, but I usually get bored watching them. And this is someone who lives for football! It's never that interesting to me, and starters are never in for long. I just read the recap after to make sure none of my players got hurt, and see if there is a rising star I can get for my fantasy team.
SAHDS's Avatar SAHDS 01:57 AM 08-26-2008
Drafted FF team #1 today while watching pre-season football on our new t.v. Pretty much this:

:::::::

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColoradoMama
I think they shouldn't let them have their hair below their helmets. It's dangerous to be pulled down by your hair.
That's why it's legal, to try and discourage players having wild and free hair that's accessible to other players. They've been talking about making it illegal if a player's hair covers their name tape, so they'd have to tie it up or tuck it in. In general, I think it's dangerous too. You can really yank someone down and hurt them (just like a horse-collar or a face mask).
Honey693's Avatar Honey693 03:11 AM 08-26-2008
Is anyone else here a Bears fan?
kirstenb's Avatar kirstenb 05:18 AM 08-26-2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crystal_R View Post
Only when they are playing the Packers!

Coming from Minnesota, I cheer against all team in the NFC North who aren't the Vikings!
SAHDS's Avatar SAHDS 07:05 AM 08-26-2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crystal_R View Post
I like Urlacher... does that count?

Man, I talk a lot of trash and I can see this thread turning ugly. I'll be nice
kirstenb's Avatar kirstenb 01:35 PM 08-26-2008
Quote:
Man, I talk a lot of trash and I can see this thread turning ugly. I'll be nice
There's nothing wrong with a little good-spirited trash talking! It's what makes football...football!
Mama~Love 02:59 PM 08-26-2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by kirstenb View Post
Only when they are playing the Packers!

Coming from Minnesota, I cheer against all team in the NFC North who aren't the Vikings!
OMG, are we twins?!? I am the exact same way! Where in MN are you?? You can PM instead if you want!
Honey693's Avatar Honey693 04:05 PM 08-26-2008
Quote:
I like Urlacher... does that count?
I love Urlacher. He can sack me any day lol.
kirstenb's Avatar kirstenb 04:19 PM 08-26-2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by mommyofmany View Post
OMG, are we twins?!? I am the exact same way! Where in MN are you?? You can PM instead if you want!
I've lived in CA for the past three years, but I grew up in Mpls right by Lake Nokomis. All my family is still there. I love it there! Was just home two weeks ago, in fact. One bummer about being out here is that I only get to see a few Vikes games. I loved going to the Dome to see games.

Where are you at?
1 2  3  ... Last

Up