NMY Graduates Love Thread, Part 4 - Page 11 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 09-23-2008, 01:47 PM
Banned

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
it is exceedingly difficult to be verbose with only one hand!

nak, so lurking mostly and ryan is working from home so very little computer time for me!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-23-2008, 03:51 PM

just wait til your nursling (btw, nak) can kick the keyboard and smash his heel onto the mouse, and kicks your arms away from typing, etc.

SOLIDS: offered avocado and sweet potato at 6 months, no go. started again at 9 months with chicken broth (the real stuff), runny egg yolk, yogurt, applesauce, lacto-fermented veggies. Keep in mind that baby's don't really produce the enzymes for carbs (veggies included) until 1. That's why the veggies come out looking like they did going in
Old 09-23-2008, 04:26 PM

Again I have to count my blessings with my parents and the in-laws. They're eccentric but they let me BF and co-sleep in peace. FIL's chiro even has no-vax info in his office so he doesn't even think that weird. Thank you all for reminding me how lucky I am.

Solids: Kai wasn't a solid fan. We tried bananas and rice pooridge purposly at 6mo but he doesn't like mashed banana and the rice made him throw up so we stopped for a bit. Then we'd just wait until he showed interest in our food and we'd mush a little with our fingers and he'd usually lose interest once he tasted 2 tiny bites of what we were eating (various legume and veg curries). He usually liked them but just wasn't interested in eating any large quantities. He's only started demanding regular meals this past month or so and you know what. He's just fine. Don't let solids stress you out. As long as you nurse a lot they don't really matter much.

Stuff in ears: Kai just has dirty ears. If there's something large I'll get it with my finger, otherwise it's no big deal.

Tossing food: When Kai tosses food I say "Oh, are you all done (and I do the sign)?" and I put him on the floor. Often he is. If he's not all done he get's a little upset and points at his chair so I say "Oh, you still want to eat (and I do the sign)." and put him back in his chair. I think he's starting to get it. He does the "all done" sign when he's all done trying the potty but has just started using it at the table.

Traveling mama to DS (2) my nature boy :
Old 09-23-2008, 07:06 PM

Thank you all for weighing in on the solids question.

Quote:
Originally Posted by arelyn View Post
. Don't let solids stress you out. As long as you nurse a lot they don't really matter much.
Thank you for that, it makes me feel better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holiztic View Post
just wait til your nursling (btw, nak) can kick the keyboard and smash his heel onto the mouse, and kicks your arms away from typing, etc.

SOLIDS: offered avocado and sweet potato at 6 months, no go. started again at 9 months with chicken broth (the real stuff), runny egg yolk, yogurt, applesauce, lacto-fermented veggies. Keep in mind that baby's don't really produce the enzymes for carbs (veggies included) until 1. That's why the veggies come out looking like they did going in
So, did you hold off on grains and non-fermented veggies? I'm really wondering about the grains thing. It seems like most of the recipes in SBF and other books are for grains, but I'd like to wait a while on those. And what about meat? I'd rather wait a while on that, but I'm not sure how long.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PiePie View Post
CKING, i think especially for exclusively bfing mamas the first solids is hugely emotional. i cried. we self-fed only bc dd took the spoon right out of dh's hand (you can see the video on his fb page) but after reading child of mine i am a huge believer. we did solids only once a day and then only every other day from mos. 6-10. gotta go, trouble.
you're right, I'm already emotional over this and we haven't even started yet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~Shanna~ View Post
I'm going to stop lurking for a while. I can't even keep up with that anymore...

MMM, I'll check in with you for Squeak's arrival!

Bye for now
We'll miss you!

Mama to J (Apr 01 '08) and N (Feb 13 '10)
Old 09-23-2008, 09:48 PM

Christina,

We planned to wait on grains to 1 year, and got pretty close, but around 10 months he got a little sourdough whole wheat bread (only way he'd take his egg yolk was spread on sd ww toast and cut into bite sized pieces). Even now he's pretty grain light. In a day he might have a small piece of soaked ww banana bread (homemeade, from nourishing traditions), a piece of sd ww bread (local bakery, soon to be homemade) and the occasional really bad think like some pizza crust (delivery crap) tonight. He's not into rice or qunioa or oatmeal or anything like it, just bread.

He got some butter drenched veggies early from 10 months, but he's not really into them (which I think is reasonable for a baby, they need ready-made nutrients--my theory--and yes I used to be vegan--is that cows eat the grass, turn it into nutrients for us which we get through dairy or meat. if we eat the grass (or lettuce) we have to do the work of the cow. Baby's need ready-made nutrients, like in breast milk. Not scientific, I know, but it's working. This kids is the strongest and healthiest toddler I've ever seen!

A typical day at 0-7 months: breast milk

7-9 months: 98% breast milk, 2% tiny tastes of applesauce, sweet potato, etc, very tiny!

9-10 months: 90% breast milk, 10% yogurt, applesauce, farm-made bone broth

10-12 months: 70% breast milk, 30% yogurt, egg yolk, butter, fermented veggies, raw cheese, little fruit and veggies--especially dried peas, and some sourdough ww bread/soaked ww banana bread

12-15 months: 50% breast milk, 50% everything above, plus whatever we eat at meals (he prefers meat, dairy, bread, eggs--and he loves a fermented blend we buy of cabbage, beets, carrots, and garlic)

16+ months: anything we eat, introduced nuts earlier than planned but in small amounts, probably about 20-50% breast milk depending on the day

Oh, and we started roasted chicken (dark meat, with fatty pan sauce!) as well as pot roast at 10 months. He LOVED it! Still prefers meat to just about anything, and as long as it is grass-fed and organic, its fine with me)

Hope this helps!

I have to say, not only is the kid so strong and healthy (and of course I think he's brilliant, too), we have NO struggles over food like some other toddlers. He eats some meals, others not so much. We don't play the "what do you want?" game here. I give a few options mostly from our meal, and if he doesn't eat it's no biggie (he doesn't fuss or demand something else either). We never had to do "choo choo" train or any other ploy to make him eat. I could go on, ask if you have any more questions!

no time to edit, forgive typos!
Old 09-24-2008, 02:36 AM

[QUOTE=Holiztic;12241688]just wait til your nursling (btw, nak) can kick the keyboard and smash his heel onto the mouse, and kicks your arms away from typing, etc.

Are you watching us? come on, you gotta have a camera in here someplace.
Old 09-24-2008, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holiztic View Post
Christina,

We planned to wait on grains to 1 year, and got pretty close, but around 10 months he got a little sourdough whole wheat bread (only way he'd take his egg yolk was spread on sd ww toast and cut into bite sized pieces). Even now he's pretty grain light. In a day he might have a small piece of soaked ww banana bread (homemeade, from nourishing traditions), a piece of sd ww bread (local bakery, soon to be homemade) and the occasional really bad think like some pizza crust (delivery crap) tonight. He's not into rice or qunioa or oatmeal or anything like it, just bread.

He got some butter drenched veggies early from 10 months, but he's not really into them (which I think is reasonable for a baby, they need ready-made nutrients--my theory--and yes I used to be vegan--is that cows eat the grass, turn it into nutrients for us which we get through dairy or meat. if we eat the grass (or lettuce) we have to do the work of the cow. Baby's need ready-made nutrients, like in breast milk. Not scientific, I know, but it's working. This kids is the strongest and healthiest toddler I've ever seen!

A typical day at 0-7 months: breast milk

7-9 months: 98% breast milk, 2% tiny tastes of applesauce, sweet potato, etc, very tiny!

9-10 months: 90% breast milk, 10% yogurt, applesauce, farm-made bone broth

10-12 months: 70% breast milk, 30% yogurt, egg yolk, butter, fermented veggies, raw cheese, little fruit and veggies--especially dried peas, and some sourdough ww bread/soaked ww banana bread

12-15 months: 50% breast milk, 50% everything above, plus whatever we eat at meals (he prefers meat, dairy, bread, eggs--and he loves a fermented blend we buy of cabbage, beets, carrots, and garlic)

16+ months: anything we eat, introduced nuts earlier than planned but in small amounts, probably about 20-50% breast milk depending on the day

Oh, and we started roasted chicken (dark meat, with fatty pan sauce!) as well as pot roast at 10 months. He LOVED it! Still prefers meat to just about anything, and as long as it is grass-fed and organic, its fine with me)

Hope this helps!

I have to say, not only is the kid so strong and healthy (and of course I think he's brilliant, too), we have NO struggles over food like some other toddlers. He eats some meals, others not so much. We don't play the "what do you want?" game here. I give a few options mostly from our meal, and if he doesn't eat it's no biggie (he doesn't fuss or demand something else either). We never had to do "choo choo" train or any other ploy to make him eat. I could go on, ask if you have any more questions!

no time to edit, forgive typos!
VERY helpful, Thank you!

Mama to J (Apr 01 '08) and N (Feb 13 '10)
Old 09-24-2008, 03:00 PM

Hi... I'm back.

I missed you ladies. I'll try to read back over the last few pages and catch up on what's been going on, but here's a quick update.

Ike will be 5 months on the 6th of October. As some of you saw on facebook, he has two teeth. He cut them right around four months. It was kind of a rough transition... he was JUST getting past the newborn crankies when we moved and he started staying home with DH during the day. Then he cut teeth and was NOT happy about it. One thing then another then another. But since the teeth busted out, he's been a happy little monkey. He's enjoying playing on the floor and will roll and pivot and squirm and push his way around... he actually moves a considerable distance. A few times he's ended up under the couch .

DH is doing well as a SAHD, but I think he'll come back to work at least part-time next semester. He needs the outside stimulation. Our top-of-the-list babysitter became available and is flexible when it comes to salary, so that's good. We'll do a trial run in December; DH is flying home for Christmas early so we can save some $$, so it'll be just me and the baby for a few weeks.

Work has been crazy busy... a bunch of the teachers here and in neighboring villages are going to be a pick-up site for a CSA out of Washington state (they deliver to member sites in rural AK), and I'm running it. I'm on our Site Improvement Committee, and am thinking of starting up a "Sunshine" committee that will do little things to brighten up our school community (staff, students, and parents/elders). After being pregnant and exhausted and "just surviving" my job last year, I had forgotten about how much I truly love teaching. My classroom is cluttered, not because I haven't been cleaning it (although my desk could use a once-over), but because I've found so many creative, messy learning activities to do with my students. I've already run out of glue sticks (although I hadn't bought new ones; just kept 'em from last year).

Anyway... it's good to be back! I might not be on much because my plate is pretty full, but we got internet at home (well, the kindergarten building next door got internet, and we get a signal at one end of our house; they still haven't brought private high-speed internet to this village ), so I actually have after-DS-goes-to-bed internet time at night now.

Me+DH+DS1+DS2+Dog=me and a house full of guys, which is really just peachy, thanks.
Old 09-24-2008, 05:02 PM

Bye Shanna--hope you can come back soon!

Hi BB! Isaac is adorable! And I'm glad you are enjoying your job--that's wonderful!

I'm cutting out dairy for awhile. This child is GASSY! It gets really bad at night, though she will eventually go to sleep at 11:45ish. So we'll see what happens. She still spits up, though not nearly as bad as she used to.

I have a bachelorette party on SAturday, so Dh gets her for the night. I hope that works out okay.

Come ponder with me about food!
Old 09-25-2008, 02:02 AM

I was having a vegetarian crisis earlier today and then I read Liz's post with all the mentions of animal products and it made me nauseous. Thank you for inadvertantly helping me find clarity on the subject. I think I need to up my protein or iron or some mineral intake. I've been getting these meat cravings since getting back to the US and they are only getting worse. Any ideas on stuff I should be eating?

BB: I'm so glad you're happily back at work. I kinda miss my job and keep toying with the idea of doing daycare out of the house but that would kill our flexibiity and we are loving it right now.

Old 09-26-2008, 08:56 PM

Hmm, I'm an omni, not a vegetarian, but I always appreciate good veggie food. 3 bean chili? spanikopita?

Old 09-27-2008, 12:55 AM

Actually I made Indian food tonight. I'm starting to miss the stuff.

Old 09-28-2008, 11:31 PM

cking and i met up on friday. :

liz's mention of pizza crust reminded me that it is great for teething!! i don't think dd downs much if any wheat from it but she found it quite soothing today. she was a wee bit meltdowny which we are attributing to the top 2 teeth busting through.

z.b., naking gets easier as you get the hang of it and then harder as babe gets the hang of locomotion.
Old 09-28-2008, 11:35 PM

cking, check out kellymom for alternate list of %ages of solids to bm. i would say that she was up to 25% solids by about 9 mos. but the really remarkable change is recently (12 mos.) when it rocketed up to about 50%. but then there are days like today where it is all about nursing (teething??). anyway it was pretty much all foods off our plates once she was about 10 mos. babyled weaning made it much easier, gotta say. we are still nuts free for her, but it is hard to remember that, e.g., pesto has pine nuts in it and masaman has peanuts. 2 oops and removal after she was all :
Old 09-29-2008, 12:30 PM
Banned

baby wearing saves the day! i was able to get a lot of chores done.

and, thankfully, ryan is stepping up to take care of H a bit more. the last two weeks, it was tough getting him to do anything with H so that i could take a few minutes to myself. In the morning, i do have 10 minutes to shower, dress, and make my bed while R changes/ECs and dresses the baby.

but, all during the last week when i wanted 10-30 minutes each day to myself for some yoga (particualrly because my back and butt hurt from so much sitting), and he simply would not do it.

first, he said that he didn't have the time between his work and writing schedule.

second, he said that he wanted to "look good for Austin" (film fest), and thus he had to work out and what not. he actually got in 4 workouts in the two weeks (being away from home from 4 until 6:30) and then also got in two runs and two bike rides (45 minutes each).

third, because H and I go to bed around 8:30-9:00, he stays up and gets to read, watch movies, whatever until he goes to bed at 10. I also do all of the night time parenting (EC, change, nurse).

i finally told him that i was burning out and he needed to hold the baby for at least 10-30 minutes each day. there must have been 3-4 days when he didn't hold the baby at all and it was all me.

i was so frustrated! so i finally told him that i also have physical goals that i wanted to meet that were just as important as his feeling good for the festival, and i pointed out that he's had a heck of a lot of time for his things when i have not.

thankfully, he shaped up shortly after. i've been able to get my 30 minutes a day, plus my shower time, to myself and he's doing what he can to settle H (and himself) when he fusses. i keep reminding him to EC the baby. that's usually why he fusses after eating!
Old 09-29-2008, 12:52 PM

how frustrating, zoe. glad you two worked things out.

cking and piepie...how lucky that you got to meet!

I had my first night away from Rhea Saturday. It was a bachelorette party for my friend who is getting married in two weeks. We took her to a tapas bar and then to a drag queen cabaret. I only came for dinner--it was pouring rain, so not fun driving the 45 minutes to get there, and then trying to find a parking spot! On the way down I made the decision that after we ate, I was going back to my baby because it was so heartwrenching to leave her. DH did a good job, but she cried for about an hour even though DH was trying everything he could think of to soothe her. When she heard my voice on speakerphone, she was a little better. So anyway, I came back and she perked up and nursed for the rest of the night, pretty much.

I think the ILs were asking DH why she's not on a schedule yet--how she nurses on demand, and sleeps whenever she falls asleep. I mean, I would prefer it if she would fall asleep for the night before midnight. But she only wakes once, and that's when DH is in the shower (around 4:45-5am), and then back to sleep for a few more hours after we nurse. So for her age, I don't think that's bad at all.

Just as long as they don't suggest we do the whole CIO garbage.

Old 09-29-2008, 03:33 PM

z.b., oy. the "leisure gap" is an ongoing debate in our household. i suggest you read (while nursing) hochschild's feminist classic the second shift. i'm sure you will find it fascinating given your gender studies background. it paints a pretty nuanced picture of gender ideologies and how things go down and what strategies both sides use in this negotiation. but to be a bit more cheery on the subject, for us it got easier when 1. i went back to work (on some level my personal time "mattered" more to him then) and 2. she got bigger and more interactive, able to invent games herself, etc.
Old 09-29-2008, 03:35 PM

in the early days it was him for 20 minutes in the a.m. and 10 minutes in the p.m. now it's him for 1.5 hours in the a.m. and at least 0.5 hours in the p.m. plus he will take her on a 4-5 hour bike ride on the weekend sometimes. a different world.
Old 09-29-2008, 04:35 PM
Banned

i figure that ryan will spend more time in the coming months. particularly when we get to other foods! let me be honest, H spends a lot of time BFing! i mean, he goes every 3 to 5 hrs, and he goes for an hr most times.

at nite, R will complain about lack of sleep, evem though i'm now responding fast and H prefers EC so he doesn't really cry. and then i nurse for an hr while R snores! i nearly bit him when he said that i get more sleep because i nap in the afternoon! H eats at 1 am and 5 am! that's why i go to bed at 8:30! H nurses 8- 9 and sleeps until 1! then, nurses until 2 and sleeps until 5! then R gets up at 5:30 and complains!

i'm like, uh, who didn't snore from 1-2 and gets up at 5?

next feeding is then 8:00--right when i get ryan to work, so...i sit in the parking lot for an hr!

yeah, it was a bit much...lol
Old 09-29-2008, 05:09 PM

Witchy, I remember how hard it was the first time I left Dd. I was always excited to get a break for a couple of hours, but then a few minutes away and I'd be missing her already.

Yesterday I went to a bridal shower while Dh watched Dd and it was the first time that I didn't have that feeling. Maybe it was because she was with her Dada and I knew they were having fun. Also, she's getting older and doesn't nurse as often. Anyway, I had a great time relaxing and talking and eating with friends and my mom and sister.

Wife to J. Mama to DD(3yo) & DS(1yo)
Old 09-29-2008, 06:18 PM

I want to make roasted beets for dinner. What should I serve with it?

Any ideas?

Old 09-29-2008, 07:14 PM

I have a menu I make every 2 weeks (when I get my farm order)

Keilbasa and onions, quick marinated in a mix of beer, mustard, dried thyme
I spread on a cookie sheet and pop in toward the end of the beets (and carrots) roasting.

This is one of our favorite meals. Everything but the onion and marinade come from the farm.

This may not work for you, but I do recommend adding some UNPEELED carrots to you beets for roasting, they are sooo good together!

Enjoy!

Oh, and on leaving dc, at 17 months I still haven't passed the 3 hour mark away from him, and I don't wanna!!!!! Truth is, I mentally added up the total hours I have been away from him since birth (roughly), and I didn't even hit 20. There's just rarely anything I even think/want to do without him! At 2 this will gradually change. And when he weans even more so. But for now, he still feels like a part of me!
Old 09-29-2008, 08:48 PM

What is keilbasa?

Old 09-30-2008, 01:26 AM

kielbasa is polish sausage. tasty stuff (though eat the turkey version, not pork).

mmm, roasted beets. I like them on anything, really.

I'm glad I'm not the only one who missed their babe terribly. I felt like a loser, but no one else had children at the party, so I shouldn't be so hard on myself.

Old 09-30-2008, 11:59 AM
Banned

ok, seriously, i missed my baby when i walked less than 1/2 a block from him!

my friend was holding him in the yoga studio, i walked to the pizza place less than 1/2 a block away. i was freaking out and couldn't wait to get back to him!

i don't know if i could go to a party without him at this point! of course, with his ever-changing feeding schedule (obviously, on cue from him), i really don't like to go anywhere without him!
Old 10-01-2008, 03:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by witchygrrl View Post
kielbasa is polish sausage. tasty stuff (though eat the turkey version, not pork).

mmm, roasted beets. I like them on anything, really.

I'm glad I'm not the only one who missed their babe terribly. I felt like a loser, but no one else had children at the party, so I shouldn't be so hard on myself.
Thanks. I'm not a big fan of sausage, but Dh would love it.

Old 10-02-2008, 03:46 AM

I've had to leave DS for large chunks of time, 10 hours or so for a wedding I was working. He did great and was with my mom, but I still missed him SO much.
Old 10-02-2008, 03:18 PM
Banned

today is so much better than yesterday. i was trapped in the house all day and frustrated, which of course upset the baby (since they pick up on the emotions of others pretty quick), and so he wanted to nurse all day long. i nursed basically from 4 am until 5 pm when ryan *finally* got home from work. i was happier then, because we went out for dinner, and then came home and had our normal schedule.

today, i taught and it was perfect! pottied hawk before and after class, fed him after, went for a walk wearing him, and then came home. this day is so much nicer!

also, weird thing at dinner--competitive parents! LOL

we got to the thai restaurant rather early--before the usual dinner rush. i had hawk in his wrap and walked him around the restaurant when we got there after pottying him. he settled quickly and then other folks came in.

another young couple came with their baby--who looked to be just a few months older than hawk. that baby was in a bucket, but the parents ended up holding him during the meal anyway.

now, i'm so used to buckets that i don't think anything of them, and smiled at the family and cute baby. but, it was really weird, because the *vibe* i got from them was definintely competitive.

how weird is that? i didn't even know what the competition was, except that hawk was in a wrap and their babe was in a bucket?

anyway, funny thing was, a lot of folks in the restaurant asked me about the wrap, but no one asked them about the bucket. but, they didn't ask about the wrap.

i love my wrap.
Old 10-03-2008, 12:38 AM

huge harassment episode by multiple women (led by older women) for NIPing on the subway on tghe way home tonight. : the theory was that i was not showing respect for others on the train. this tends to be the gist of anti-(visible/vocal)child-in-public sentiment. sigh.
Old 10-03-2008, 01:50 AM

haven't tried the moby yet, but I do love my sling. I get more comments about how cool a way it is to carry my baby that way! A few people are like, will she fall out or suffocate? But I tell them no, smile warmly and carry on.

PiePie, what is their problem? Why can't they show some respect to you and yours? I haven't really NIPed yet, if only because I haven't been overly comfortable where I was, and we're not stealthy enough to do it without major boob overhang, but we're working on it. BUt even still--I don't think it should matter.

I had an interesting situation in Target yesterday. This poor new dad of twins was frantic, and he saw me with a baby and so figured I'd know something. Except he was asking me about how to mix formula, how to heat formula, etc. His wife was breastfeeding and supplementing, but wanted to wean them and go straight to formula. He was so wound up that I didn't want to scare him, so I did the best I could with the limited info I had. I did say that I exclusively give my baby bm, and so on, but had that been the mother, I think I would have done better. I just felt so bad about this clueless father, on a mission. But I feel worse about those poor newborn twins.

Tomorrow is Rhea's two month checkup and they want to give her the hib and prevnar at the very least (I talked them down to those two), but now that I've done further research, I don't even want those two. DH is not on board with skipping wellbaby checks in principle, but knows I'll probably have to fight every visit. I'd rather go for sick visits only. Any suggestions on how to approach the issue?

User Tag List