NMY Graduates Love Thread, Part 4 - Page 19 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#541 of 2423 Old 11-19-2008, 06:05 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Maela-
Teo takes a while to warm up to a room full of kids. He likes to sit back and take things in for a while and he's always a bit hesitant regarding lots of crazy kids. he's pretty little and not usually very 'aggressive'.
Tip-toe walking, which I'm SURE you know, can be a stage kids go through.
She seems like she has an activity she enjoys doing. Maybe she is cleaning like mom, or shopping or something like that. Sounds cute to me.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#542 of 2423 Old 11-19-2008, 11:26 AM

I don't see any problem at all Maela. It sounds to me like she is playing in a normal toddler way. Quinn has his little play routines like that and he is not the least bit ASD. He just discovered tiptoes and cracks up when he does it (but he only does it for a minute or so a day). My nephew ONLY walked on tiptoes for the first year of walking (and I suspect mild ASD with him) but he showed WAY more signs of it than just tiptoes, and like I said, I suspect very mild (if at all). Can't comment on the shyness or not dancing, this kid is super social and unfortunately IS big AND aggressive. He'd be the kid yanking your kids out to dance and crying if she/he refused!

So Q has his 4th cold in 2 months. He handles them really well, but gets every one! Ugh! We're staying home the rest of winter, kids with runny noses/coughs are everywhere--and Quinn being so social, of course, he touches everyone!
#543 of 2423 Old 11-19-2008, 12:15 PM

Thanks everyone! I am pretty sure she's fine. I guess I was worried because she used to be soooo social. A few months ago she would have been one of those kids out in the front dancing, but again I know that the stranger anxiety at this age can be strong, so... And I'm glad to hear that you think the play 'routine' is typical of a toddler. I just wasn't sure about that having not been around many 'non-ASD' toddlers. I was 12 when my brother was born, so I remember him, but it turns out that he's been having some problems lately with OCD and anxiety, and now that I look back he did have some ASD-type symptoms as a child, so that's part of it all too.

Anyway, thanks!

Wife to J. Mama to DD(3yo) & DS(1yo)
#544 of 2423 Old 11-19-2008, 12:17 PM

Poor Quinn! Hope he feels better soon.

Witchy, how is your dh? How are you and Rhea?

#545 of 2423 Old 11-19-2008, 12:50 PM

DH is better, but I've now come down with his cold, as has Rhea. She doesn't seem too bad, though--she coughs more at night and when first waking up, and except for a teeny bit of congestion, it's hard to pick up on. So hopefully, it'll go away soon.

No teeth have shown up yet, but the really acute behaviors have gone away. Maybe things were just shifting in there. She has such a little mouth--I just hope she didn't inherit DH's big teeth!

And Maela, I echo the thoughts of others--most likely, it's a stage of self-exploration more than anything.

My birth center is safe...for now:
http://www.boston.com/news/local/art...nites_protest/

I just don't get why malpractice insurance has to be so high when the clientele of birth centers is by definition LOW-risk. Argh.

And a for Quinn--I hope he recovers soon. Poor little guy.

Come ponder with me about food!
#546 of 2423 Old 11-20-2008, 04:36 AM - Thread Starter

Abby pulls at her ears when she's tired. Could it be an ear infection? Or is that just a nice tell-tale sleepy sign?

Expecting #2 in May 2013!

0***4***8***12***16***20***baby.gif***28***32***36***40

#547 of 2423 Old 11-20-2008, 10:50 PM

kelly, very unlikely ear infection (although if your gut says it is and you see fever and fussiness definitely get it checked). my mother and otehrse swear it's a sleepy sign but i swear dd did it just because from about 3 mos. till about 9 mos. (that's an overstatement -- maybe 7?) just because. no longer.

i am so tired.
#548 of 2423 Old 11-21-2008, 05:07 PM

I think I'm on the road to the cascade of interventions and I'm mad at myself for letting it happen. Spent all day yesterday in the hospital having every conceivable screening and test for pre-eclampsia just because of some very sketchy/borderline urine protein and marginally elevated blood pressure (elevated for me, but by no means high - 120/80). All was clear but I've got to go back and do it all again on Monday, if I don't, they'll risk me out of the birth centre. :

I think there's some politics at play too which frustrates me even more. See my post in 'birth professionals' for the long version of the story.

One gorgeous solstice babe 12/08, two smitten mothers - mothering consciously with conscience and compassion. Birth & Postnatal Doula. Student Midwife. Expecting #2 November '12.

#549 of 2423 Old 11-21-2008, 05:45 PM

Ugh, MMM, I'm sorry that happened! I would say keep really well hydrated and eat bananas daily 'just in case'. I watch my BP like a hawk because of family history so when I saw my own BP go higher than I liked closer to the end, I started eating bananas to keep it down. Not sure if that was what really did the trick, but my BP went back to normal.

But ITA that it was overkill, big time. 6 hours of tests seems rather extreme. If you have to do it Monday, else risk out of the birth center, I suppose you need to, but I would definitely BRING IT UP at your next regular appt.

You're so close!

Come ponder with me about food!
#550 of 2423 Old 11-22-2008, 01:10 AM

MMM,

My BP started to go up at 37 weeks, just a tad at first. Not to scare you, but it went up and up and up. I tried EVERYTHING including a cupboard full of herbs, to no avail. The only thing that kept it low enough to still have a homebirth was drinking epsom salts (in warm water) and chasing it with a milk/egg yolk drink (for the protein hit). This lowered it for a couple hours at a time. I only did this during labor and in the day after--not a long term solution! I don't recommend this unless you really believe you don't have pre-e. I had no protein and late-onset moderate swelling. My MW didn't even send me for tests when I was hitting 150/110 (but again, no protein in urine).

Good luck, you and baby will be fine! My worries over my BP (and the thought of being risked out to the hospital) is what brought on my PP stress/anxiety disorder (which I can't emphasize enough how bad it was). So whatever you do, don't get too worried about this, you and baby will be just fine (I promise!!!!)
#551 of 2423 Old 11-22-2008, 01:36 AM

MMM, and :

Kelly, I think it's probably just a sleepy sign.

Mama to J (Apr 01 '08) and N (Feb 13 '10)
#552 of 2423 Old 11-22-2008, 03:24 AM

MMM, sorry you had/have to go through that. Hopefully, things go well Monday. Try not to get too stressed.

No nap again today. Second time this month, I believe. This is crazy. Nice bedtime though - 7:15PM

#553 of 2423 Old 11-22-2008, 03:29 AM

Dd is having a language explosion! It's so cool. She's saying new words every week. She finally uses "mama" consistently - I it! She also consistently uses Dada, Nana (grandma), papa, and Gigi (grandma). Tonight during her bath, she pointed to her towel and said, "Towel." No joke. She also pointed to the moon in Goodnight Moon and said, "moon."

Oh and she's getting into playing with her baby doll and her other stuffed animals. She puts them on her bed and says "night" for good night/night night. and she picks it up and says, "baby" and gives it a hug and kiss.

#554 of 2423 Old 11-22-2008, 04:32 AM

maela-
that is SO sweet.
#555 of 2423 Old 11-22-2008, 08:12 PM

so after 2 weeks of Quinn being almost completely toilet trained (after only 2 days of learning!) He has now almost totally regressed! He had a yeasty-type infection under his foreskin last weekend that really hurt him for about 24 hours. When he peed, he screamed! I think he started associating the pain with using the toilet. The first few days this week he was inconsistent about avoiding the toilet, about 50/50. So far today, he is totally refusing. We have been through 3 pairs of undies/pants. So frustrating after having this almost perfectly toilet-trained kid for 2 weeks. Any thoughts?
#556 of 2423 Old 11-22-2008, 10:49 PM

mujerista, god. totallly scary.

maela, i want you to know that i wrote a super long post re your autism fears and then it didn't show up. the short version is that 1. i have read about such rituals kicking in at 18 mos. in neurotypical children and 2. a 2 yo in dd's sch does this.
#557 of 2423 Old 11-23-2008, 03:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PiePie View Post
mujerista, god. totallly scary.

maela, i want you to know that i wrote a super long post re your autism fears and then it didn't show up. the short version is that 1. i have read about such rituals kicking in at 18 mos. in neurotypical children and 2. a 2 yo in dd's sch does this.
Really? Yay! I'm glad she's not the only one!

We went to a wedding tonight and had so much fun! Dd was dancing so much; she was the life of the party! She also ran around with some other little ones on the dance floor. So cute. No fear of strangers tonight. I'm beginning to think that there's something about that room in our library where they do story/song time that she doesn't like because it's the only place where she stays glued to my lap like that. I don't know what it is though. It is a big room, but...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holiztic View Post
so after 2 weeks of Quinn being almost completely toilet trained (after only 2 days of learning!) He has now almost totally regressed! He had a yeasty-type infection under his foreskin last weekend that really hurt him for about 24 hours. When he peed, he screamed! I think he started associating the pain with using the toilet. The first few days this week he was inconsistent about avoiding the toilet, about 50/50. So far today, he is totally refusing. We have been through 3 pairs of undies/pants. So frustrating after having this almost perfectly toilet-trained kid for 2 weeks. Any thoughts?
That's too bad! Poor Quinn! Is it all cleared up? No advice, sorry. Maybe if you be really careful not to push it, he'll want to try again in a couple of weeks. It can't last long; but it is inconvenient.

Dd seems totally ready to get serious about this potty thing. We've been half-heartedly ECing her since 3mo, but lately she's been having lots of dry diapers. Also she'll often let me know when she's wet or going. And she says good bye to her pee/poop when the toilet is flushing. She's just so aware of her elimination and that we try to get it into the potty, that I think she could be "potty trained" fairly easily with a little more effort on my part. So either after Thanksgiving (did I say we're going to Disneyland?! ) or maybe I'll wait until after Christmas, I'd like to give it a try.

#558 of 2423 Old 11-23-2008, 06:36 PM

I was so sure I was ovulating a few weeks ago. Turns out I hadn't, even though I had all the signs. I'm so ready to get my normal cycles back. Lots of (okay 3 ) people I know are pg, and I would desperately like to join them - or at least to have the ability to get pg again.

Oh and MIL keeps dropping hints that she's hoping to hear news soon of a pg from one of us (me or my SIL). This is because my SIL and I both announced our pg at Disneyland two years ago on Thanksgiving. So now I think she's expecting to hear that again this time. : Kind of annoying. I'm tempted to tell her that she should be careful when she's saying stuff like that to people because she never knows if that person is TTC and having a hard time or not. But then she would know that I actually would like to be pg again, and then I would never hear the end of it. Are you pg? Are you pg yet? You're not pg are you?

Just a little (undeserved, really) rant. I'm just in a bad mood.

#559 of 2423 Old 11-24-2008, 03:27 PM

I also am home sick. dd started puking on Friday night and did through Saturday night, between between pukings she was really happy. I OTOH came down sick on Sunday -- really really sick. Haven't kept anything down in 36 hours. So also feel really really weak. dd's teacher had warned me it was going around. Per the class email list-serv, 5 out of 7 kids have had it -- one for 6 days and counting! Please God I am not up for that. On the bright side, dh totally redeemed himself from his ua violation behavior as soon as dd started puking and was incredibly sweet with her all day yesterday. I am a little hurt over her severe separation anxiety from dh (screams bloody murder if left with me). So a question about morning sickness and other pukiness: do you try not to puke? Instinctively, I lie still and try not to puke. Yesterday I was even spitting out my spit, on instinct -- I guess I knew it would make me puke. But once I did puke I felt so much better. dh thinks I should actively try to make myself puke and perhaps then I wouldn't have been so laid low by the m/s. Anyway, I cannot believe we are hosting Thanksgiving. The house is a disaster and I can't imagine cooking anything.
#560 of 2423 Old 11-24-2008, 09:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PiePie View Post
I also am home sick. dd started puking on Friday night and did through Saturday night, between between pukings she was really happy. I OTOH came down sick on Sunday -- really really sick. Haven't kept anything down in 36 hours. So also feel really really weak. dd's teacher had warned me it was going around. Per the class email list-serv, 5 out of 7 kids have had it -- one for 6 days and counting! Please God I am not up for that. On the bright side, dh totally redeemed himself from his ua violation behavior as soon as dd started puking and was incredibly sweet with her all day yesterday. I am a little hurt over her severe separation anxiety from dh (screams bloody murder if left with me). So a question about morning sickness and other pukiness: do you try not to puke? Instinctively, I lie still and try not to puke. Yesterday I was even spitting out my spit, on instinct -- I guess I knew it would make me puke. But once I did puke I felt so much better. dh thinks I should actively try to make myself puke and perhaps then I wouldn't have been so laid low by the m/s. Anyway, I cannot believe we are hosting Thanksgiving. The house is a disaster and I can't imagine cooking anything.
That sounds awful - healing, healthy vibes for you and L.
As far as m/s - making myself vomit would offer me about 3 minutes of relief but nothing significant.
Take care

One gorgeous solstice babe 12/08, two smitten mothers - mothering consciously with conscience and compassion. Birth & Postnatal Doula. Student Midwife. Expecting #2 November '12.

#561 of 2423 Old 11-24-2008, 09:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maela View Post
I was so sure I was ovulating a few weeks ago. Turns out I hadn't, even though I had all the signs. I'm so ready to get my normal cycles back. Lots of (okay 3 ) people I know are pg, and I would desperately like to join them - or at least to have the ability to get pg again.

Oh and MIL keeps dropping hints that she's hoping to hear news soon of a pg from one of us (me or my SIL). This is because my SIL and I both announced our pg at Disneyland two years ago on Thanksgiving. So now I think she's expecting to hear that again this time. : Kind of annoying. I'm tempted to tell her that she should be careful when she's saying stuff like that to people because she never knows if that person is TTC and having a hard time or not. But then she would know that I actually would like to be pg again, and then I would never hear the end of it. Are you pg? Are you pg yet? You're not pg are you?

Just a little (undeserved, really) rant. I'm just in a bad mood.
Bad mood totally warranted. So sorry that you're not quite on the track you want to be on. It'll come, I promise.

As for your MIL - it's incredible isn't it? I think the pressure to have a second may be greater than the pressure for a 1st. I haven't even popped this one out yet and people are already asking me what my plans are for subsequent kidlets.

#562 of 2423 Old 11-24-2008, 09:21 PM

Thanks folks for your support and suggestions re the preeclampsia scare. I drank epsom salts, ate bananas, sipped on gallons and gallons of water and went through with round 2 of testing and fetal monitoring yesterday. Just as suspected, I am ALL CLEAR! :My blood pressure went back down to 110/70 and the protein in my urine was minimal. Intuitively, I knew I was fine but with a whole weekend to dwell on it, I did let myself get a little stressed (ok, a LOT stressed).

Interestingly, I had been eating at least one, usually two bananas a day until about 10 days ago when I got all banana'ed out. I do wonder if they've been keeping my blood pressure good? I won't be skipping them anymore, that's for sure.

So now, at 37 weeks, I am finally clear for my birth centre birth! : I cannot wait to meet this little critter but despite the super crampiness, I suspect it'll be a little while longer yet....the desire to nest has NOT set in at all.

Oh, and I tested negative for GBS. AND my thyroid seems to have totally healed itself. Against all advice from the midwives, GP and naturopath, I took myself off my meds midway through this pregnancy and my most recent test results are the best they've ever been! Uncanny, seeing as pregnancy is supposed to make thyroids go crazy.

#563 of 2423 Old 11-24-2008, 10:02 PM

PiePie, hoping for a quick recovery for you and your dd. :
Oh, and i can never make myself vomit. I do EVERYTHING I possibly can to not vomit because I hate it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MujerMamaMismo View Post
Bad mood totally warranted. So sorry that you're not quite on the track you want to be on. It'll come, I promise.

As for your MIL - it's incredible isn't it? I think the pressure to have a second may be greater than the pressure for a 1st. I haven't even popped this one out yet and people are already asking me what my plans are for subsequent kidlets.
Thanks. I just had a baby it seems like. I feel like it's really soon, so why would she be expecting another already? It wouldn't be so bad if I didn't actually want another one already.

Yay MMM!! : I'm happy things went so well today, and I'm very excited for you.

#564 of 2423 Old 11-24-2008, 10:09 PM

I'm thinking of getting my hair cut - today or tomorrow. It would be an inch or two shorter than my picture in my sig. Is that too short for my face shape? I've never had it that short (since I was 3yo anyway) If someone could reply in the next hour that would be great because I might go tonight.

#565 of 2423 Old 11-24-2008, 10:18 PM

Quote:
I'm thinking of getting my hair cut - today or tomorrow. It would be an inch or two shorter than my picture in my sig. Is that too short for my face shape? I've never had it that short (since I was 3yo anyway) If someone could reply in the next hour that would be great because I might go tonight.
I think you could pull it off if you made it a little choppier with a bit more layering. Do you know what I mean? Maybe I'll look for a pic...

#566 of 2423 Old 11-24-2008, 10:31 PM

Maela... perhaps something like this:
http://www.hairstylestalk.com/images...airstyles1.jpg

BTW - totally jealous! I'm desperate for a haircut but we are stone broke this week because the accountant at work messed up my maternity leave payments so it's out of the question. I fear I'm going to birth with BAD hair

#567 of 2423 Old 11-24-2008, 10:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MujerMamaMismo View Post
Maela... perhaps something like this:
http://www.hairstylestalk.com/images...airstyles1.jpg

BTW - totally jealous! I'm desperate for a haircut but we are stone broke this week because the accountant at work messed up my maternity leave payments so it's out of the question. I fear I'm going to birth with BAD hair
That's cute, but I think maybe a little too stylish/fasionable/brave for me. I prefer plainer styles for myself. Hmm...I have a picture of what I want, but no way to show you.

#568 of 2423 Old 11-24-2008, 11:19 PM

Quote:
That's cute, but I think maybe a little too stylish/fasionable/brave for me. I prefer plainer styles for myself. Hmm...I have a picture of what I want, but no way to show you.
Well I think you'd be super cute but you've gotta be comfortable too. I say cut it how you want it...if you hate it, it'll grow out. It's only hair. Go for it!

#569 of 2423 Old 11-25-2008, 01:43 AM

MUJERISTA, you crack me up! birth with bad hair -- honestly, that should be your biggest challenge!! my girlfriend was all hot to trot to get her teeth whitened before she birthed so that she would look just so in those post-birth photos -- well she only used pics of baby's face, so it was irrelevant... i found that the urge to be done already correlated more strongly with the onset of labor than the urge to nest.

but then again you are hearing this from a woman with a filthy apt. who is hosting thanksgiving (gulp). we need a better balance here at home: either hire more domestic help on stuff i don't care to do ourselves (cleaning, babyproofing) or care less or at least communicate/negotiate mutual expectations better. i swear dh is grieving his dead mother through expectations that i replicate her thanksgiving -- can we say set-up for failure? i feel dread at the thought.

dd seems better, i am rallying but not sure if it will last.

dd is also having a language explosion, and more saliently a reading obsession. she demands to be read to every minute of every day, demanding books by name. now yall know i love kiddie lit and have been longing to do this (read to my child) since i was, say, 5 (my favorite game with my little brother used to be playing librarian and reading him books out of a little red wagon) but it is absolutely constant -- she won't let me do anything else. she recites portions of books too -- of course it's our version, so she says democrats for donkey and gay whenever she sees a rainbow flag (side note: is todd parr gay?)

we got her sch pics back and she has the most uncharacteristic impression -- sober -- fwiw all of the kiddos (except the oldest) look notably unsmiling in the group photo. dh says someday she will post it on facebook.
#570 of 2423 Old 11-25-2008, 12:29 PM

I did it. It looks...not bad. I'm sure there'll be some pictures taken this weekend, and I'll post a few on Monday. Thanks for the help, MMM. I understand the wanting to look good for the birth. I felt that way too. I didn't care about the pictures. I just wanted to feel like I at least started labor looking my best. It helped me feel a little less self-conscious, knowing that my hair and make up were done, later on when I was on all fours with everyone staring at my butt.

PiePie, Maev definitely has been like that - wanting me to read to her constantly. She's gotten a little better about "reading" to herself sometimes in the last few weeks. I also love reading children's books, but when that's all you do and it's the tenth time for that particular book.... She would point to things in the book wanting me to name them saying, "That!" And if I was busy or just didn't answer her right away, "THAT!, THAT!!!" Now that I look back on it, it was cute, but at the time, it was very frustrating.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page