NMY Graduates Love Thread, Part 4 - Page 5 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#121 of 2423 Old 09-04-2008, 04:01 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Congratulations Zoe! He's beautiful! :

I look forward to hearing (and seeing) more at a later time.

Happy baby mooning! ::::

Mama to my sweet Sophia, born at home on 4/6/11.

namaste.gif

#122 of 2423 Old 09-04-2008, 08:20 PM - Thread Starter

Maybe we can talk about Palin in our NMY Grads Facebook group instead?

Cradle cap: What can be done about it?

Nap length: Abby takes 30- to 45-minute naps, rarely longer. When did your babies transition to longer, less frequent naps?

Expecting #2 in May 2013!

0***4***8***12***16***20***baby.gif***28***32***36***40

#123 of 2423 Old 09-04-2008, 11:27 PM

Cradle cap: Dd had it and still does a little bit. My mom keeps telling me that if I would just scrub it every day, it would go away. But it's barely there anymore and I don't like shampooing her hair every day. There's not enough there to look bad or cause any problems, so I'm just leaving it alone.
Anyway, when it would get really bad when she was little, I would put some olive oil on it and let it sit for a few minutes. Then I could gently scratch it off with my finger nail because the oil softened it. Then I would shampoo it, and scrub it lightly with a baby brush. Then her hair would always be so soft and shiny and smell good for a couple of days. I did this once or twice a month until she was about 8 months.

Wife to J. Mama to DD(3yo) & DS(1yo)
#124 of 2423 Old 09-04-2008, 11:28 PM

girlfriends, as soon as the trial is over i am going to join facebook...

the trial is going miserably. the judge is a huge sexist and my ego has been shredded so many times today. i have been really sad and missing dd so i bucked my boss and told her i am working from home tonight. 3rd all-nighter in a row. still not productive enough because dd needs to nurse long, to reconnect, i suspect, guiltily.

she loves sch. the teachers say they have never seen any child so well adjusted and that they can't believe she hasn't been in daycare before. she marched in on the first day and the teachers exclaimed, "she looks like she's going off to college!!" i got all teary. she lvoes the new toys and a little boy who is unfortunately named ferrell, pronounced like feral cats. the teachers tell us she is their favorite because she is so active, curious, inquisitive, etc.
#125 of 2423 Old 09-04-2008, 11:30 PM

Nap length: Gosh, I don't remember when she stopped. I think she started taking two 30min-2hr naps a day when she was around 6-9 months. Sorry I know that's pretty vague, I just don't remember. Then sometime around 10-11 months, she started taking only one 45min-2.5hr nap. This is still what she usually does.

#126 of 2423 Old 09-04-2008, 11:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PiePie View Post
she loves sch. the teachers say they have never seen any child so well adjusted and that they can't believe she hasn't been in daycare before. she marched in on the first day and the teachers exclaimed, "she looks like she's going off to college!!" i got all teary. she lvoes the new toys and a little boy who is unfortunately named ferrell, pronounced like feral cats. the teachers tell us she is their favorite because she is so active, curious, inquisitive, etc.
So cute! I'm glad she's enjoying school so much. She sounds like such a cool little baby! I think my Dd and your dd would get along well. Maev's a little slower (not intelligence/academic-wise; she's very quick, just not developmentally as quick as Lorelei) and calmer probably, but they both sound like they have really strong, happy personalities.

I wish all the NMY Grad babies could get together and play. Wouldn't that be so much fun?

Maev wants more of these. :::::::

#127 of 2423 Old 09-05-2008, 01:10 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maela View Post
Anyway, when it would get really bad when she was little, I would put some olive oil on it and let it sit for a few minutes. Then I could gently scratch it off with my finger nail because the oil softened it. Then I would shampoo it, and scrub it lightly with a baby brush. Then her hair would always be so soft and shiny and smell good for a couple of days. I did this once or twice a month until she was about 8 months.
Thanks for the tip! We put some olive oil on tonight for 15 min and then shampooed. But then we didn't have a baby brush (doh!) so we skipped that part. She went straight to bed after so I'm anxious to see what it looks like in the morning! :

PiePie, hang in there! Do you know how much longer the trial will be, or does it depend? I'm sorry the judge is a sexist.

Quote:
she loves sch. the teachers say they have never seen any child so well adjusted and that they can't believe she hasn't been in daycare before. she marched in on the first day and the teachers exclaimed, "she looks like she's going off to college!!" i got all teary.
Oh, that is SO CUTE!

Quote:
I wish all the NMY Grad babies could get together and play. Wouldn't that be so much fun?
ME TOO!!! One of these days maybe we can plan a get-together in a central place.

Quote:
Maev wants more of these. :::::::
Maev!!!

#128 of 2423 Old 09-05-2008, 09:05 AM

when lorelei was 4.5 mos. i started instituting 2 regular nap times. i would lie down with her at 11 and at 2 and nurse. for the first week i napped with her all the time, my presence kept her asleep. after about a month of the same schedule, i stopped needing to be there, and she would conk out at exactly that time no matter where we were, waht the noise level was, etc. the first nap was 1 hour and the second nap was 2 hours, usually.

at about 9 mos. she started moving to 1 nap a day, which started out being at noon and is now moving to 1. that nap is ideally 2 hours long but often more like 1.75. the transition to a single nap has been very nonlinear.
#129 of 2423 Old 09-05-2008, 11:12 AM
Banned

i think that non-linear is the truth of being with a little one.

we went to the LC and it was great. what we'd sort of figured out on our own (feeding him with a finger) is what needed to be done! so, we hand pump the breast and set him to, as long as he is happy there.

he likes something harder to suck on than a breast, and so we're doing some training of the tongue to get it to soften while still being able to suck.

once he begins to be frustrated with the breast, but before he starts screaming about it, we offer him the finger pad side up (his preference) for the first 1/3 of an oz or so. then, for the second 1/3, we give him pad side down, even though he doesn't like it (it's softer). if he starts to fuss a bit from this, we'll flip it, and hten try again on the next third and so on.

right now, he takes in about 1/2 to 1 oz each feeding, and this morning his 'split' a feeding taking in about 1/3 and then again another .57 oz, which took us close to 3/4 of an oz in this last "feeding."

after feeding him, i pump my breasts for the next feeding. i'm working my way up to getting hte full 2-4 oz out of me. it's not quite up there yet, but i do drip a lot and i get at least 1.5 oz per pumping (after hand pumping and just dripping away while i feed him, i might actually be above that 2 oz mark. but who knows?)

dr's appt today to follow up about weight, the time with the LC, etc.

oh, and the LC was in the maternity ward at the hospital. what a terrifying place. i am so glad that i didn't birth there. ryan said it was surreal--completely surreal.

i am glad that hospitals exist, but i'm also glad that i rarely need them.
#130 of 2423 Old 09-05-2008, 12:25 PM

z.b., far be it from me to interfere with advice from lc, but ime a hosp grade pump makes things easier at the beginning. we rented one for the first 2 weeks. so glad you saw an lc. best $210 i have spent. keep up the good work mama.
#131 of 2423 Old 09-05-2008, 03:06 PM

mmm, yeah the hospital grade pump was great while I was staying in the hospital after the birth. But yeah, am I glad I never went into the real maternity ward. yikes! When I was hanging out at the birth center once Rhea was born, another mother was in labor next door, but things seemed calmed. She certainly wasn't 'sounding' the way I was.

I have so much to get done and no energy to do it. Rhea was nursing almost nonstop this morning. I had to laugh at the doctor last Tuesday asking if she was nursing every 3 hours...hah! More like every hour. She's napping now though. So cute.

ETA: nope, she's awake...and hungry again.

Come ponder with me about food!
#132 of 2423 Old 09-05-2008, 04:37 PM

Quote:
when lorelei was 4.5 mos. i started instituting 2 regular nap times. i would lie down with her at 11 and at 2 and nurse. for the first week i napped with her all the time, my presence kept her asleep. after about a month of the same schedule, i stopped needing to be there, and she would conk out at exactly that time no matter where we were, waht the noise level was, etc. the first nap was 1 hour and the second nap was 2 hours, usually.
Wow that is really nice! I wish Dd was that consistent when she was little.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoebird View Post
i think that non-linear is the truth of being with a little one.
Exactly.
I can't wait to hear your birth story. I'm glad youwere able to have him at home like you wanted to.

I should probably write out my own birth story someday.

#133 of 2423 Old 09-05-2008, 04:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by witchygrrl
I had to laugh at the doctor last Tuesday asking if she was nursing every 3 hours...hah! More like every hour.
oh yeah, I never knew/know what to say when I get asked "how many times a day is she nursing?" I don't know... a hundred? now maybe 8? sometimes 20? Her nursing "sessions" are never consistent. And sometimes they last 2 minutes, and sometimes they last 15 minutes. She's never put herself on any type of feeding schedule. She only now, in the last couple of months, has started going 3-4 hours sometimes between nursings.

#134 of 2423 Old 09-05-2008, 05:35 PM
Banned

i'm really...comforted... to hear about the different 'nursing styles' around and what not.

i do have to admit, i'm psyched.

the LC said that i should work up to 2 oz. i'm still getting about 1.5 per pumping, though i did get two earlier in the day! so, that's good and i'm getting there! and that hospital grade pump is so nice and quiet!

beyond that, Hawk has also 'advanced' a bit in his progress. first, he will take the nipple and play with it a bit. i wouldn't call it anything like nrusing (no chomp or suction really), but he is staying on and tasting and trying.

with this, in the 'finger training' he has already moved from the pad up to the pad down position. this means that things are improving, that his tongue is softening to the idea here.

i talk to the LC again tomorrow, see where we go from there.

so, it's definitely progress. i think we'll get there no problem.
#135 of 2423 Old 09-05-2008, 06:39 PM

Quote:
i'm really...comforted... to hear about the different 'nursing styles' around and what not.

the LC said that i should work up to 2 oz. i'm still getting about 1.5 per pumping, though i did get two earlier in the day! so, that's good and i'm getting there! and that hospital grade pump is so nice and quiet!

beyond that, Hawk has also 'advanced' a bit in his progress. first, he will take the nipple and play with it a bit. i wouldn't call it anything like nrusing (no chomp or suction really), but he is staying on and tasting and trying.

with this, in the 'finger training' he has already moved from the pad up to the pad down position. this means that things are improving, that his tongue is softening to the idea here.

That's great ZB! I'm glad things are improving so quickly.

#136 of 2423 Old 09-05-2008, 07:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by snozzberry View Post
Maybe we can talk about Palin in our NMY Grads Facebook group instead?

Cradle cap: What can be done about it?
I put oatmeal in a sock with Fenton in his bath. Once it was wet, I used it to rub on his scalp. Don't know if it made it go away faster.

AF is back!!!!! :
#137 of 2423 Old 09-05-2008, 09:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~Shanna~ View Post
AF is back!!!!! :
Wow! I wonder if your recent serious baby lust is at all related to hormones/ovulating? Our bodies are amazing things!

One gorgeous solstice babe 12/08, two smitten mothers - mothering consciously with conscience and compassion. Birth & Postnatal Doula. Student Midwife. Expecting #2 November '12.

#138 of 2423 Old 09-05-2008, 09:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~Shanna~ View Post
AF is back!!!!! :
Woo hoo! I'm actually kind of looking forward to it too. Just for the regularity of it, yk?

#139 of 2423 Old 09-05-2008, 09:35 PM

Quote:

You'll both get there, I have no doubt.

#140 of 2423 Old 09-06-2008, 02:19 PM
Banned

mmm: ryan wants to hear about your dream. we are not surprised; we have a sense of his ability to travel already. yours isn't the first dream to come in, and yes, he appears to be quite the powerful little spirit!

nursing: still not up to "full production" and honestly, my breasts don't hurt. but, i have weird notions of discomfort, i guess.

still keeping on with the finger feeding, though we are offering breast frequently. he's doing great and does get a little bit of a suckle now and again.

sleeps like a champ, too. so we're actually pretty rested.

i'm so thankful my mom came yesterday to clean, but i'm not happy about my ILs coming tomorrow. BAH! bleh. i need to feelrelaxed/comfortable to pump and feed and allow him to go to nipple, and the whole process takes an hour. so, even while the ILs are here (they're coming after church, they may be here for one or two feedings), a large protion of their time will be without me, ryan, or the baby, because i'm not doing topless in front of them (like i did with my parents yesterday. my parents are, btw, incredibly cool--i guess i'd forgotten. )

so, that's me. consternation about ILs. LOL
#141 of 2423 Old 09-06-2008, 04:45 PM

Quote:
mmm: ryan wants to hear about your dream. we are not surprised; we have a sense of his ability to travel already. yours isn't the first dream to come in, and yes, he appears to be quite the powerful little spirit!

nursing: still not up to "full production" and honestly, my breasts don't hurt. but, i have weird notions of discomfort, i guess.

still keeping on with the finger feeding, though we are offering breast frequently. he's doing great and does get a little bit of a suckle now and again.

sleeps like a champ, too. so we're actually pretty rested.

i'm so thankful my mom came yesterday to clean, but i'm not happy about my ILs coming tomorrow. BAH! bleh. i need to feelrelaxed/comfortable to pump and feed and allow him to go to nipple, and the whole process takes an hour. so, even while the ILs are here (they're coming after church, they may be here for one or two feedings), a large protion of their time will be without me, ryan, or the baby, because i'm not doing topless in front of them (like i did with my parents yesterday. my parents are, btw, incredibly cool--i guess i'd forgotten. )

so, that's me. consternation about ILs. LOL
I wondered how things were going with those characters .

I'm thinking of you constantly with nursing, hoping the energy helps.

Have so much more I want to say, but I have 45 lbs of tomatoes to can......before naptime ends :
#142 of 2423 Old 09-06-2008, 05:50 PM

Zoe, I have no doubt he's an old, powerful soul..seeing the pics on ryan's blog just confirmed that. no dreams yet...i haven't slept enough to dream.

good luck with the ILs...I hated nursing in my ILs presence, and they're not nearly as 'special' as yours. The first time, I was still in the hospital, my mil was sitting in the chair nearish my bed, looking at a bf'ing maual. Rhea and I hadn't gotten the hang of things yet, and mil's asking me a million questions about what the LC had told me (who I had only talked to for about 5 minutes at that point) based on the manual (as my mil never breastfed and hasn't a clue). It was a VERY stressful experience, and the only reason why it happened was because DH had gone off with his dad to pick up lunch.
---------------------------------------------------------
Shanna, 45 lbs? Wow. And woot to AF's return!

#143 of 2423 Old 09-06-2008, 06:39 PM - Thread Starter

Yay for Hawk's progress!

Yay for Shanna's AF!

:

#144 of 2423 Old 09-07-2008, 10:18 AM
Banned

NAK!!!!!

so, we are on the breast! and he won't take anything else! we started with the nipple shield plus syringe and that ended quickly. he just hung out on the breast from 6 pm to 3 am, then we got 3 hrs of sleep, and we're back on again. awesome!

and we managed a side lying!

so that is great since i can just takr the baby up when i want to and ryan can hang with his parents.
#145 of 2423 Old 09-07-2008, 12:42 PM

Yahoo! That's wondeful ZB!

Josephine is now sitting unassisted. I got a pretty good picture of it the other day. Also, she rolls from her back to her belly all the time, but rarely from her belly to her back. In fact, she's done it exactly three times, but that was a month ago now. I know it's no big deal, but anyone know of anything I can do to encourage her? She seems to love being on her belly, so maybe there's no incentive...?

Piepie, thanks for the tip on napping. I think I will try that. So often I feel impatient and want to get up and do other things, but I know that's probably not best in the long run.

Kelly, we seem to be going through some similar changes with naps. She hasn't really been regular at all yet, so really it's constantly changing. But I think with teething and becoming more active, she's starting to want to stay awake longer and then take longer naps. There are times when she's too tired to play but not ready to nap/nurse, so I've found that to be the best time to wear her on my back. Then I can do something (like make lunch or take a walk) and she's content, and the change of scene seems to help both of us. Then after a while she'll be exhausted and even falls asleep in there sometimes.

Mama to J (Apr 01 '08) and N (Feb 13 '10)
#146 of 2423 Old 09-07-2008, 09:30 PM

Quote:
Woo hoo! I'm actually kind of looking forward to it too. Just for the regularity of it, yk?
Me too, I can't wait!

Shanna--what do you think brought it back? Quinn is still nursing about 6-20 times a night, and I feel like its never going to come back!
#147 of 2423 Old 09-07-2008, 09:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cking View Post

Josephine is now sitting unassisted.
wow she is so advanced!!!!!
#148 of 2423 Old 09-07-2008, 09:48 PM

cking, toy as incentive. mirror or portable mobile. gotta go.
#149 of 2423 Old 09-07-2008, 10:23 PM - Thread Starter

Congrats, zoebird!

Quote:
Josephine is now sitting unassisted.
Yay!

Quote:
There are times when she's too tired to play but not ready to nap/nurse, so I've found that to be the best time to wear her on my back. Then I can do something (like make lunch or take a walk) and she's content, and the change of scene seems to help both of us. Then after a while she'll be exhausted and even falls asleep in there sometimes.
What carrier do you use to put her on your back? Was it hard to learn how to put here there by yourself?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holiztic View Post
Quinn is still nursing about 6-20 times a night, and I feel like its never going to come back!
Dang, mama! You deserve a medal. It's nice to see you on the thread more...I've missed you!

Cradle cap: We tried olive oil for 15 minutes, then a baby brush to lightly scrub, but it didn't come up. The olive oil makes it just about disappear, actually. It's easier to pick it off when it's dry. Maybe I should do that here and there, and follow up with olive oil to soothe the skin after?

Or maybe I should just wait for it to go away. It's just that it looks SO grody. And she scratches at it sometimes, so I wonder if it makes her head itch.

#150 of 2423 Old 09-07-2008, 11:55 PM

ZB: Yay for Hawk on the boob! That's great news - I'm so happy it wasn't a long and drawn out process for you.

My dream was not that interesting - really it was just that I'd given birth to my boy who was very obviously Hawk. We were just in the early days and lots of people were visiting. And that's all I can remember. Sorry.

One gorgeous solstice babe 12/08, two smitten mothers - mothering consciously with conscience and compassion. Birth & Postnatal Doula. Student Midwife. Expecting #2 November '12.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page