NMY Graduates Love Thread, Part 4 - Page 81 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#2401 of 2423 Old 01-14-2010, 06:16 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
RA, I'm so grateful for your thoughtful response. I want to say more, but.....worst parenting night ever last night and I can barely string to thoughts together. Hope to be back soon.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2402 of 2423 Old 01-14-2010, 08:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~Shanna~ View Post
RA, I'm so grateful for your thoughtful response. I want to say more, but.....worst parenting night ever last night and I can barely string to thoughts together. Hope to be back soon.
Oh Shanna, worst parenting night ever means a lot coming from anyone, but from you? I really hope everyone is all right and gets some sleep tonight!

So thought I'd drop in to update you all on Quinn. The good: He's 33 months, size of a 3.5-4 year old, speaks like a 4 year old--we have incredible conversations!--and eats everything I give him (like sardines, oysters, beets, artichokes, olives, etc.). He even sits at the table for an hour at every meal and talks with us while cleaning his plate. He's also officially diaper free all the time now (wears underwear to bed!) Really incredible! The bad: he's got some real aggression issues we're trying to work through. He rarely actually hits, but he speaks in a very angry tone when he's upset about anything (like a very hard "NNNNO! that's NNNNNOT okay" if a baby even looks at him! And BTW its about every other hour of the day that he's 'upset' about anything) and he pretends to hit or kick a lot (like he does the motion in your direction, just no contact, and often accompanies it with an aggressive word like BAM!). He's even pushed a few just kids over if he thinks they are at all in his way. We're trying to identify the causes of this (overtired Quinn and stressed Mommy and/or daddy spring to mind).

I'm well, finally not frumpy! I've been watching your discussion a bit. I got a haircut (just some long layers) and went shopping for some fashionable clothes (ohhh, ahhh) and even started wearing make-up again. I guess its a last ditch effort before thinking about getting pregnant again, which we are starting to do now that Q's so verbal, potty-trained and becoming more independent. Hopefully sometime this year, we'll see...

That's us, wish I kept up better with you ladies, but the time just goes so fast!
#2403 of 2423 Old 01-16-2010, 01:47 PM

Home with my girl today after days of seed ordering and cataloguing. won't be back to seed drama until monday!

shanna,
Thinking of you. hope you're doing okay.

Zoe, i just keep getting more and more excited for you!

i almost applied for a job this week. key motivator: benefits. it was only a part time position, but it's a little scary to have cheap health insurance for us only. i didn't do it though.

Busy mama of
#2404 of 2423 Old 01-17-2010, 10:55 PM

37 weeks today.

Mama to J (Apr 01 '08) and N (Feb 13 '10)
#2405 of 2423 Old 01-18-2010, 03:44 AM

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cking View Post

37 weeks today.

so exciting!

Anyone have any book recs for starting solids? Westley will be 6 mo in just a week, and I really should figure out how we are going to do the whole food thing. I think I've been in denial about him growing up so fast and so I haven't wanted to research it.

Mommy to DS1 July '09 and DS2 Oct '12 and someone new in May '15

#2406 of 2423 Old 01-18-2010, 08:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angelorum View Post
so exciting!

Anyone have any book recs for starting solids? Westley will be 6 mo in just a week, and I really should figure out how we are going to do the whole food thing. I think I've been in denial about him growing up so fast and so I haven't wanted to research it.
We did Baby Led Weaning with the assistance of the book of the same name - by Gil Rapley, I think...
It's perfect for us.

One gorgeous solstice babe 12/08, two smitten mothers - mothering consciously with conscience and compassion. Birth & Postnatal Doula. Student Midwife. Expecting #2 November '12.

#2407 of 2423 Old 01-18-2010, 12:49 PM
Banned

we did baby led weaning without any book at all. we just let him start eating when he was ready. it was about 8 months, he started grabbing food off of our plates and that was that.
#2408 of 2423 Old 01-18-2010, 04:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MujerMamaMismo View Post
We did Baby Led Weaning with the assistance of the book of the same name - by Gil Rapley, I think...
It's perfect for us.
Yes, I was going to recommend the same book. I didn't get the book until she was a few months older, but I think if it had, I would have been more relaxed about it - I definitely feel more relaxed this time, and this LO hasn't even been born yet. lol. I was just upset about her eating something other than *my* milk, worried about what foods to start when, etc. She wasn't really interested in actually eating the food for a few months. She liked playing with it; around 7 months she chewed on my apple & pear a bit, then around 8 months she was interested in feeding herself a bit more. very gradual.

I also have a few recipe books that were gifts. I wasn't really interested in them at first, since we didn't do purees and such, but when she was a little older - 10-12 months, I found some good ideas for baby-friendly family meals like stews & snacks in them.

Mama to J (Apr 01 '08) and N (Feb 13 '10)
#2409 of 2423 Old 01-18-2010, 05:06 PM

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Quote:
37 weeks today.
Wow! I can't believe it's come up so fast. Do you feel ready?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angelorum View Post
I didn't read any books, but did read recs online from places like kellymom and some british child-led solids site (no links right now, sorry!). Our situation was a little unique since I was having issues with my milk supply and it was only once he started solids that he was able to wean off of donor milk and thrive on my milk alone. We started at 6.5-7 months IIRC with a pear and then an avocado a few days later. He's been an excellent eater ever since

AFM, this is our first cycle ever actually TTC (as opposed to getting pg despite avoiding the last two times ) and I can't help obsessing a bit. Getting pg made me realize how much I wanted to be pg, give birth, and have a newborn again. Calvin isn't helping asking for a baby every. single. day. Ah well, it won't be long. I'll let you guys know in about 10 days

Mama to DS1 (12/07), DS2 (4/11), and DD (6/22/14)
Finally diagnosed with APS after 3 s (11/09, 3/10, 7/13)
#2410 of 2423 Old 01-18-2010, 09:33 PM
Banned

that's sweet sihaya.

we are doing IPods tonight. Hawk is playing with some noisy toy. looking forward to being away from noisy toys.

anyway, life. will be soon anyway.
#2411 of 2423 Old 01-18-2010, 11:32 PM

Quote:

37 weeks today.

!!!
#2412 of 2423 Old 01-18-2010, 11:34 PM

bedtime issues are back. i need some good empathic hearts and minds on this.
#2413 of 2423 Old 01-18-2010, 11:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sihaya View Post
Calvin isn't helping asking for a baby every. single. day. Ah well, it won't be long. I'll let you guys know in about 10 days
steph, i soooo hope we are due date buddies. dd said that she has a surrogacy arrangement with a teacher at school (4 yos) who is pregnant -- she is going to get dd a baby. at least the pressure is off! horribly, i had to apply for a spot when we were ttcing and unsuccessful and now her teachers attribute any fussiness to the number 2 they think is coming. awkward!
#2414 of 2423 Old 01-19-2010, 01:23 AM

PiePie,

we just stopped pushing the nap over here. so some days (3 out of 5) she doesn't nap at all, and she goes down tired, so that helps some. she's in her own bed for the first 3-4 hours each night (mostly). we do have a screechy, fussy struggle for an hour or so in early evening, so i don't know how practical it would be for you (NOT the sort of thing you'd want to do on the subway). but it's taking some of the pressure off. on days she does nap, she goes to bed later, and often just sleeps with us.
win some, lose some.

SHANNA?????

Busy mama of
#2415 of 2423 Old 01-19-2010, 01:24 AM

CKing, i'm so excited for you!!! Sleep a LOT. Right NOW.

Busy mama of
#2416 of 2423 Old 01-19-2010, 10:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PiePie View Post
steph, i soooo hope we are due date buddies.
Me too!
Quote:
Originally Posted by PiePie View Post
dd said that she has a surrogacy arrangement with a teacher at school (4 yos) who is pregnant -- she is going to get dd a baby. at least the pressure is off!

#2417 of 2423 Old 01-19-2010, 12:23 PM

cking, I can't believe it's almost time! How do you feel? How is Josephine? How is night parenting? How is DH? This adjustment is probably going to be hardest on him, at least that was my experience. It seems to be hard on the non-nursing partner to be on their own so much.

RA, I really appreciated how honest your response was, about everything.

Pie Pie and Sihaya, I'm holding you in the light this ttc cycle and your entire pregnancy - pregnancy after loss is so exhausting spiritually.

Zoe, good luck on your move - I can't believe I've witnessed this from wild idea" to fruition

Ah, me:
This past month has been THE most challenging of my parenting life. The cliff Notes version is that Fenton has had a cold for the past month, and whlle teh cold symptoms were gradually easing ,(though never disappearing), his behavior and sleep were atrocious. Aggressive/violent behavior, 5 minutes couldn't pass where he wasn't screaming or crying about something. We hadn't had a passably human night's sleep in over a month, including 2 nights where he was waking up every 45 minutes, only to shriek and cry for anywhere from 1 to 3 hours. DH and I were becoming hostile to him, and I was becoming a parent bordering on criminal. I started to nwonder if he had a sinus infection, even though he was missing key symptoms. Everyone treated me like a lunatic who thinks her child can only be a jerk when he's sick - but I just knew something was wrong. Took him to urgent care to rule it out, she said she was sure he did not. With his gut issues, she advised against using antibiotics when we were so uncertain. A week later, I took him to his Ped, who said the same thing - but he gave me an antbx prescription "if I insisted". We didn't use it. Contacted his "gut" doctor in San Fran, he said teh same thing. I've tried everything: Vit C, golden seal, echinacea....everything but netti which....was so not going to happen. Finally on Saturday night we had 1 of the worst nights ever, and I noticed a lot of coughing when he was lying down, and whenever I tried to force him to lie down (Yes, you read that right ), he scrambled to sit up as if he was in pain. The next morning I insisted to my husband that we give him the antx, as I was certain he had a sinus infection and none of my natural remedies were helping after a month. We gave it to him, and within an hour I could see a marked difference. He's back to being himself, and i'm marveling that I had to advocate for my child in that direction - which is as it should be. We regret that this may set his gut healing back months, but I've prayed so hard over him, to please understand my intentions and helps us to heal him. I'm praying that, despite my understanding of the theory behind his digestive issues, that he continues to heal with diligent probiotic use after the antbx are done on Friday (5 days total). We're withn a month of starting to test new foods (he's been on the diet a year now), and I'm trying to just let go that we made the best decision of 2 poor options. So the moral of the story is that we diagnosed a sinus infection that showed nothing at this point but behavior issues. It seems the "pink eye" was not, but instead was sinus inflammation. Poor, poor child.

Reece has been a joy, and last night slept in his crib next to my bed from 7 pm to 6 am. I'm so conflicted about him sleeping in his crib, as I love sleeping with a newborn, it's easier nursing (especially with upcoming surgery), and I believe it really is protective from SIDS. But he sleeps so well in the crib that I can't bear to think that I will create a habit where a desire doesn't exist. I worry that by the time it's difficult t sleep with a baby, they've decided it's a habit. I've been bringing him to bed with me after the first nursing (usually sometime between 1 and 3 am, but today was 6 am). He's also gradually tolerating me eating beans, tomatoes, etc. He's such a happy little guy. He sleeps so well, but not when we're out in public, so that's been challenging.

On me news, i took my nose ring out to change it and can't get it back in . Trying to decide whether to have it re-done. My ILs hired someone to help me a couple of hours a week, mostly folding laundry and washing pots and pans. And I'm gestating a hair-brained idea that I'll move on once I know whether we're moving due to DH starting a PhD program. I'll share more if I start to work on it.

Sorry for all of the navel -gazing, but I thought some of the details we've dealt with lately could help someone.
#2418 of 2423 Old 01-19-2010, 01:17 PM

We have been trying to skip the nap as a temporary measure. The problem is, she goes down on her own, as she would in the middle of a five alarm fire (this week, it was while eating a pretzel (I had to extract it from her sleeping mouth and while doing the hokey pokey -- -usually she will ask to nurse, I will defer, and then she will got to sleep anyway within 15 minutes) at about 4:30-4:45 and will not be wakened by any means. This is not down for the night but instead means that she is up even later (or possibly just as late as she would have been sans nap, who knows). DH thinks I //

gotta go.
#2419 of 2423 Old 01-19-2010, 02:18 PM

big talk with dh about dd's crises, he thinks she is feeling anxiety. going to give dd a choice with regard to family bed vs. big girl bed and with regard to pull-ups vs. diapers.
#2420 of 2423 Old 01-19-2010, 02:27 PM

Hi, everyone! It's time to please start a new thread. We ask that members keep threads to less than 2,000 posts because it makes threads less unwieldy and is easier on our server. Please feel free to start a new thread and link back to this one. Please PM me with any questions!

Update's update: SO sorry for the inconvenience. Please start a new thread and then this one will be closed

I have retired from administration work, so if you have a question about anything MDC-related, please contact Cynthia Mosher. Thanks!

#2421 of 2423 Old 01-19-2010, 03:15 PM

Hi all! I'm ready and willing to start a new thread if no one minds. It will just take a few minutes and I'll post the link when it's ready

#2422 of 2423 Old 01-19-2010, 03:35 PM

All right, it's all set! The new thread is here.

If you have time, please take a look at the Graduates list and the Links list, especially if you had a baby in the last year, and PM me with changes. I will be trying to add them on my own as I have time, but they will get updated faster if you can just send me the info. Thanks!

#2423 of 2423 Old 01-19-2010, 03:39 PM

Thanks so much

I have retired from administration work, so if you have a question about anything MDC-related, please contact Cynthia Mosher. Thanks!

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page