Mothering Forum banner

NMY Graduates Love Thread, Part 4

99K views 2K replies 24 participants last post by  georgia 
#1 ·

to the NMY Graduates (+ babies) love thread!

Previous Threads
Part 1
Part 2
Part 3

Here's the latest Not Mamas...Yet tribe thread.

Book Recommendations
We decided to start a book recommendation list halfway thru this thread, so we're parking it here for now, but it will be one of the standard first posts in our subsequent threads. Names following book titles are the NMY grads who recommended the title.

Becoming the Parent You Want to Be
Sihaya

Bright from the Start
PiePie

The Continuum Concept
zoebird

Diaper-Free Baby
snozzberry, zoebird

Einstein Never Used Flashcards
PiePie

Ina May's Guide to Childbirth
Maela

Nursing Mother, Working Mother
PiePie, snozzberry

Odd Girl Out
PiePie

Our Babies, Ourselves
PiePie, snozzberry

Parenting from the Inside Out
zoebird

Playful Parenting
PiePie, snozzberry

The Second Shift
PiePie

Taking Back Childhood
Maela

Tender Hooks
PiePie

Toilet Learning (though won't be popular with ec'ers)
PiePie

Unconditional Parenting
PiePie, snozzberry

See less See more
#2 ·
Our Current Lovees

: 7
: 11
  • Katt & Teotimo (Teo)
    : (12/27/06)
  • Shanna & Fenton Edward
    : (3/26/07)
  • Holiztic/Elizabeth & Quinn Herrick
    : (4/13/07)
  • BeccaBear & Alexander Lewis
    : (5/6/07)
  • Alice & Johannes Edward
    : (5/20/07)
  • Sherrie (Turtle81) & Phillip Benjamin
    : (6/2/07)
  • Farmama & Natalina
    : (7/17/07)
  • Maela & Maev
    : (7/17/07)
  • Jodi & Rosalie Jayne
    : (7/23/07)
  • PiePie &
    : (8/16/07)
  • Arelyn & Micaiah
    : (8/16/07)
  • Sihaya & Calvin Elliot
    : (12/22/07)
  • Kelly (snozzberry) & Abigail Ann
    : (2/16/08)
  • Christina (cking) & Josephine Angela
    : (4/1/08)
  • blizzard_babe & Isaac Vincent
    : (5/6/08)
  • Heather (witchygrrl) & Rhea Ann
    : (8/1/08)
  • zoebird & Hawk Octavian
    : (8/30/08)
  • MujerMamaMismo & Sebastian Felix
    : (12/21/08)

#3 ·
#4 ·
Heather, such good news about Rhea's weight!
: And sounds good about the job!
:

zoebird,

Shanna, still just
from me. I wish I had more to offer.

arelyn, I'd love that GF carrot cake recipe if you don't mind sharing it!

Me update: Abby fell out of bed for the first time last night...onto our hardwood floors. She has a quarter-sized bruise on her forehead, a bigger bruise on her cheek, and a huge bruise on her side.
We've been watching for fever, vomiting, and pupil issues ever since, and she seems fine. But just.
I feel horrible. Been depressed all day, if that's the right word. If I get into work and forget for a few minutes, it will hit me like a mack truck and then I get this sick feeling in the deepest part of my stomach. Ugh.

It was a dumb mistake that shouldn't have happened. We knew she was getting too mobile for our pillow-fortress nap solution. I even posted on this thread a couple weeks ago about how it wasn't going to last!!! So I feel guilty for not doing something sooner. And *then* I heard her tossing and turning while DH was brushing his teeth, but I was in the next room from her doing the bills, and I was trying to finish them up before I went to check on her. So double the guilt there.

So I think we're going to get a pack-n-play or something because I'm uncomfortable with the idea of bed rails (i.e. her getting caught in them), we can't put our bed on the floor (we've got a bedframe with drawers in as our dresser--small house), and we don't really have room for a full-on crib.

I know it happens to a lot of babies, but I'm still just unbearably

#5 ·
kelly, hugs. babies are really resilient. i know you know that my dd has fallen more than once and is a
: child.

shanna, confess i haven't read those pieces myself, they are just the most recommended on mdc and hence on my to read list. wonder if you could apply gordon's method for nights to naps? anyway it sounds like he's a capital napper!! so you must be doing something right

#7 ·
My baby is the next to turn one. *faint*

In us news, we had our first overnight without DS last Friday. We went to a B&B for our 3rd anniversary fully expecting my mom to bring him to us around bedtime (10pm here), but he went down for her (despite not taking a bottle) and did fine overnight. I, on the other hand, nearly died of engorgement and pledged not to do another overnight without him until he's night-weaned

Moving is going very slowly. Things have been crazier than usual around here and now DH's work is demanding he work overtime for the next 1-2 months. I have no clue when/how we're going to clean/fix up the new place and pack up the old place when I have no car and no help.

#8 ·
Thanks for the new thread, snozz! That reminds me...I should really write up my birth story. I guess I'm still processing it all.

a
to you also. I'm sure all will be well, but I totally understand the guilty feelings. I've already banged Rhea's head on a door while carrying her (I totally misjudged where it was), and I couldn't help but think I wrecked her head forever. But she's fine.

And for the big update....DH got the job!
It means we'll be moving, but we wanted to do that anyway. It was just a matter of where! I am so relieved.

#10 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by TwilightJoy View Post
I can't believe we have 16 babies now! That's just so many! Considering when I joined here we only had pregnant NMY.
:

Thanks for the new thread, Snozz.

Okay, back to my lurking.

:

:

#11 ·
subbing to the new thread - thanks snozz

and
to you. That's my new concern - Josephine will be rolling soon and I'm not sure what to do. But I understand how you feel.

I'm having trouble keeping up, or at least responding, so I just want to send out lots of
s to everyone.

In our news, we have a tooth! It is just barely cutting through the gums, but it's there. (and I'm not crazy.
) But J is cranky and I'm tired. I can't wait to show the tooth to DH when he gets home.

And J took her first bottle yesterday. Nothing bad happened.
But I still feel a little

Kelly, good luck with the solids! I've been giving that a lot of thought too, since Josephine will be 6 months in only 6 weeks! I'm not in any rush to give her food, and I feel like whether or not she's ready for it, I'm not ready. Did anyone else feel like this?

#12 ·
Heather yay for the job!!!

Cking yay for the tooth!!!

Dd and I took a bike ride to the store today and she fell alseep 5 minutes before we got home. She woke up when I took her out of the trailer and apparently that was her nap for the day.
: I really NEED her to take a nap today. I just don't know if it's going to happen.

Her new favorite past time is pulling the books down from the bookshelves.

#13 ·
steph, that's so great that you got a night alone. We have yet to try that. So did Calvin get a bottle when he woke up at night? Did he sleep with your mom? Dd would never take a bottle, but maybe she would take a sippy cup for night wakings? We're thinking about leaving her overnight for our 5 year anniversary. She would be almost 1 1/2. not sure if she'll be nightweaned by then or not.

Oh and Happy Anniversary!!

#14 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Maela View Post
steph, that's so great that you got a night alone. We have yet to try that. So did Calvin get a bottle when he woke up at night? Did he sleep with your mom? Dd would never take a bottle, but maybe she would take a sippy cup for night wakings? We're thinking about leaving her overnight for our 5 year anniversary. She would be almost 1 1/2. not sure if she'll be nightweaned by then or not.

Oh and Happy Anniversary!!
Thanks! He took a sippy cup when he woke up at night. He did sleep with my mom and, despite teething, only woke up to eat three times through the night (for me it's every 45-60 min while he's teething). I was in total shock that we got a night alone - that was not the plan at all and the engorgement made it way too painful to do anything fun

#16 ·
Heather, yay!
:

Quote:

Originally Posted by cking View Post
Kelly, good luck with the solids! I've been giving that a lot of thought too, since Josephine will be 6 months in only 6 weeks! I'm not in any rush to give her food, and I feel like whether or not she's ready for it, I'm not ready. Did anyone else feel like this?
I totally felt like that! But I came around to the idea, and we went ahead and gave her avocado this morning. It was fun.

I bet that tooth will show up again soon! Maybe the gums are just swollen & covering up the bit you saw earlier?

Maela, I'm sorry about the lack of napping!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Maela View Post
Her new favorite past time is pulling the books down from the bookshelves.
Hmm, I've wondered about that with Abby and whether we should get doors put on the bookshelves...

Now I'm off to search for not-so-plastic-y pack-n-plays...

#17 ·
Quote:

WTH - the tooth disappeared. ???? Does that happen? DH thinks I'm

at least she's in a better mood now.

I don't know if this is true, but my mom said that they can go up and down. But maybe the gums are swollen like Kelly said. Also, Dd had what I thought was a tooth (it was hard and white) early on and the dr said it was some type of cyst (harmless). It goes away. Could that be it?

Kelly, sorry about your baby falling off the bed. The first (out of two
) time Dd fell of the bed I felt horrible for days. The second time I felt worse, of course.
We do have carpet so that helped, but still it's so sad.

ETA: Dd finally went down for a nap. I was going to try to get her to stay up and just go down for the night early, but she was crying and obviously very tired, so I nursed her sleep. So now she's going to be up late late late tonight. Yay! *sarcasm*

#18 ·
Maela: I hope there's some good sleep for you coming soon!

Snozz:
Poor you. I'm sure Abby will be fine. Think of it as resilience training or something... I know I'll feel terrible for days when Squeak falls out of bed too!

I'm tired and achy and sick of reflux today. I'm also at work and haven't done a single work related task because my back is so sore that I can't sit still for more than 3 minutes. Methinks I need some acupuncture and an osteopath appointment. Gawd pregnancy is expensive!

#21 ·
MMM, I hope you get some relief from your aches and pains. I can't remember if it's here that I heard this, but just remember that it's HARD work splitting cells all day, so your body deserves all the pampering and rest you can give it!

Maela, how did last night go?

Thrush: What do y'all know about it? I'm nervous I have it. My right nipple is sore to touch and hurts pretty bad during nursing/pumping, although it does start to feel a little better by the middle of the feeding/pumping. Abby bit me on that side a couple days ago, so I assumed it was just soreness from that.

#22 ·
39 weeks today and feeling good. should get the computer back today or tomorrow.

everything in the house is ready. i just finished washing and organizing all of the baby clothing, my clothing, and my husband's clothing.

the bed was supposed to come yesterday, but the delivery guy had something come up, and so he'll come on friday. also, the cleaning service comes on friday. so, that will be interesting.

it always gets piled up like that.

also, the local obama campaign called to ask me to canvas again--which wuold be awesome except it's from 2-6 on sunday afternoon. that's 4 hours of waddling around. that might be too much.

but it might also make for great press: "
bama supporter gives birth while canvassing."

ah, 10 seconds of fame.
LOL

#23 ·
The tooth is back! I'm not nuts after all. I guess the gums just cover it sometimes. I googled disappearing tooth and some MDC threads came up.

now I just have to decide whether to put yesterday as the date for her first tooth in the record books, or to wait until a tooth actually pops up.

Zoebird,
:to you.

#24 ·
Quote:
ETA: Dd finally went down for a nap. I was going to try to get her to stay up and just go down for the night early, but she was crying and obviously very tired, so I nursed her sleep. So now she's going to be up late late late tonight. Yay! *sarcasm*
funny, that happened with us yesterday too. how did you make out? natty didn't go to bed until 11:30, and she was WIRED. she played with her papa, and i fell asleep on the living room floor (waking every once in a while when she whacked me with her stuffed kitty). doh.

#25 ·
zoebird, it's great to hear everything's falling into place!

Quote:

now I just have to decide whether to put yesterday as the date for her first tooth in the record books, or to wait until a tooth actually pops up.

I am so bad about writing in Abby's baby book. I did it once when she was a couple weeks old, but I haven't since. I also haven't been journaling as often as I was while on maternity leave...maybe once a month.
And I had such grand plans for documenting her babyhood so it was there for when she got older and would appreciate it...

#26 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by farmama View Post
funny, that happened with us yesterday too. how did you make out? natty didn't go to bed until 11:30, and she was WIRED. she played with her papa, and i fell asleep on the living room floor (waking every once in a while when she whacked me with her stuffed kitty). doh.
It wasn't too bad. She went to bed at 9:30PM. I'm sorry your night was longer.
about the kitty though Sounds just like Dd.

Today made up for the last three days. She woke up at 6:45AM (not bad), took a nap from 11:15AM - 1:15PM without waking up (woo-hoo!), and went to sleep at 8:50PM (pretty good). I got so much done during her nap, and I had time to relax. We had Dh's parents over for dinner, and I was able to make a nice dinner while Dh watched Dd.

A question: The dropping things over and over and over. I know she's learning about gravity and how she can control how some things happen. I think that's great, and I usually try to humor her by picking the thing up over and over. However, there are times when this is kind of unreasonable. Like today we were in the grocery store. She likes to sit in the cart and I always bring toys for her to play with. She dropped a few out of the cart over and over. Finally I took them away because I wasn't able to go five feet without having to pick something up. She cried and screamed for about 10 seconds, but then she was fine. Was that mean of me? What do you all do?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.