Full Time RV living - Page 11 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 07-12-2010, 04:10 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi Lisa,
I follow several of the RVing full time blogs. I would love to read yours as well. I have started one as we prepare our journey to getting on the road: www.LivingInspiredTour.com
We will be hitting the road whenever our house sells (once we put it up in Sept or Oct). We are taking our time about this too. We are also going to convert our RV to veggie oil as well. We are going to get a Class A. I have read about the FOTR and the NuRVers and can't wait to meet up with everyone. I am totally excited about that.

Thanks for the reminder about patio furniture as well as blow up water toys (Fun!)

I'll be checking out your blog! Good luck with everything!

Mindful Spirit Expo is on April 21 and 22nd. Raise your consciousness!

Intuitive Encounters business merger means discounts for a limited time.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-13-2010, 09:07 PM

Hi again...

I was trying to do a little searching on my county's website to make sure that full time RV living was allowed here without any weird restrictions or anything (why do I always feel like everything I want to do is illegal?) But anyway, I can't find anything on it. I'm thinking just to be safe, I should call the courthouse and ask? They have an internet request for info form, but I'm feeling like I'd almost rather call because it would be more anonymous, and I don't want to attract attention! Any ideas about the best way to check out this stuff?

Also, has anyone experimented with doing your own greywater filtration while living in an RV?

thanks again for any thoughts

Elizabeth, naturally-minded mother to two beautiful girls and on the path to living a debt-free off-grid eco-lifestyle in my not built yet dream house
Old 07-16-2010, 04:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by starrmama View Post
Hi again...

I was trying to do a little searching on my county's website to make sure that full time RV living was allowed here without any weird restrictions or anything (why do I always feel like everything I want to do is illegal?) But anyway, I can't find anything on it. I'm thinking just to be safe, I should call the courthouse and ask? They have an internet request for info form, but I'm feeling like I'd almost rather call because it would be more anonymous, and I don't want to attract attention! Any ideas about the best way to check out this stuff?

Also, has anyone experimented with doing your own greywater filtration while living in an RV?

thanks again for any thoughts
I can't imagine it being illegal. But if you're planning on parking it at your parents' house just make sure they don't have CC&Rs where they live that don't permit parking RVs. More likely in a nicer subdivision, probably not an issue if they're on acreage. The only thing with acreage I could see being a potential problem is that septic systems are approved for a certain number of bedrooms, and if you are living full time in an RV on the property that might exceed the septic certification. This would apply whether you were actually using their septic or not, and in some places "alternative waste management" such as composting toilets are not an acceptable substitution for septic according to county rules. A person who lived out in the boonies near my hometown in a homemade cabin with a composting toilet was forced by the county to put in a septic system or live somewhere else, so that's a legitimate thing to check on. This would be hard to check on anonymously though because it would probably depend on the location of the property. But honestly as long as your setup looks temporary and you're "just visiting" I doubt anyone would ever even say anything.

Full-time RVing wifey, TTC #1 and working towards living debt-free!
Old 07-16-2010, 04:52 PM

Thanks again WTHamI

Yeah, they are on 18 acres of their own land, so I don't think there are CC&Rs, but I still figure I better check to make sure the county doesn't have any weird ordinances or restrictions.

Will it look like we're "just visiting" if we get a water, sewer, and electric line run right up to the camper lol?

I know my parents used to have septic, but now they might have hooked into county sewer... not sure... will start getting all this info. nailed down once we have the "big talk" - hopefully tomorrow!

We may go ahead and hook up either to septic or sewer, for greywater and in case anyone asks... but I'm pretty sure we'll do our humanure pile anyway, and just hope no one notices that part!

Elizabeth, naturally-minded mother to two beautiful girls and on the path to living a debt-free off-grid eco-lifestyle in my not built yet dream house
Old 07-19-2010, 09:54 AM

Hello all fulltimers from someone hoping to become one. We are in a predicament where we feel like we can do one or the other and we're nervous about taking the plunge. Our lease is up and our current landlords have someone ready to move in next month. We have just enough $ to move into a new place which is already lined up - or - just enough to buy an rv. If we do move into this new place, we will still be paycheck to paycheck, and i don't know when this opportunity will arise again.
We do not like where we live, dh HATES his job, and have been fairly miserable here, struggling financially, v. few if any like minded people around us, etc. So I was thinking about this rv thing, found this thread, and are seriously considering this.
The problem is, we are seriously worried about the financials. DH has a good trade, and could most likely find work around the country. My main thought is hopping from organic farm to organic farm finding seasonal work if he can't find stone jobs (his trade), possibly communes here and there for work exchange (already been to The Farm, so thinking about a period there), and then thinking about the possibility of traveling with the renaissance faire. (He's an old world style stone carver and would fit right in with that too.)
I just want to hear from someone who has done any of this. I know some of you have jobs that can telecommute, I just want to know if anyone has done the farming thing or anything similiar.
We have three kids 7, 3, 1, (homeschooled) and I do think after an adjusment period of course, they would enjoy the lifestyle as well.
Don't want to go on and on, we were just wanting to know if anyone has made it financially like this. DH is just worried that we'll end up destitute in a crummy park somewhere worse off than before. If it were just us we would be gone yesterday! But of course we're worried about the kids. Looking forward to any and all opinions!
Old 07-19-2010, 11:33 AM

mydannyboy- HI! I have not btdt, yet. Hitting the road soon though. But if you read through the thread you will find your questions answered. Finances have been talked about several times. From this thread and reading blogs of famililies on the road it's totally feasible. And every family has a different way they are supporting themselves. Some through photography, blogs, day labor work etc. So much depends on if you have debt, if you will be purchasing your RV outright, or have a payment etc. Gas and lodging (rv camps) seem to be the biggest expense as far as I can tell. Anyhow, this whole thread has tons of great info. I know, cuz I asked a lot of questions. lol

And I have a new question. How many of you have Ladders? My hubby wants to bring one. It condenses to a decent size, but it's heavy. I think we only need our little step ladder. Thoughts?

Old 07-19-2010, 01:42 PM

Thank you so much, i'll read through - how do you make money blogging?
Old 08-08-2010, 11:47 PM

Yeah! We have our fifth wheel and just purchased a truck to pull it with while we were out in Washington. Now we just need to sell the house!! I am so excited to have no lawn to take care of and so much less stuff (and cleaning!). Probably won't be totally full-timing until the first of the year, but we are moving closer!!

Married to DH 10/06 TTC#1 since 11/08
Old 08-09-2010, 11:14 AM

Congratulations Indianagrl!!

So I have been wanting someone to benefit from what we've learned recently, so I'll share it here.

Recently, Thousand Trails put out an offer that if you paid $450, you could have either a west or east half of the US membership for a year. We decided that since we average about $35/night, this would be worth it for us. Well, we've been using it for a couple of months now, and it totally rocks!!! I can't believe how much money we are saving!!

Pros:
usually the campgrounds are very large and spacious. Most times it feels like a state park w/ lots of trees & privacy.
We are saving a lot of money
Many, many amenities
Usually built around a lake
The pools have all been large and wonderful.
They ususally have a large, air-conditioned activities building.

Cons:
The TT campgrounds appear to have been built in the 80s, and not well maintained. For example, they might boast tennis, basketball, shuffleboard, etc, but these are all crumbled and not maintained.

They are usually out in the boonies, meaning that getting internet can be problematic, and you must drive to the town you are wanting to visit.

But all in all, we have saved so much money already!! Our biggest inconvenience has been that sometimes we can't get internet (even w/ our wireless card) and DH has to go drive somewhere to work. But that hasn't happened too much.

At the moment, we are staying in an Outdoor World (that's in the TT system.) The OW totally rocks! It *is* well maintained and we love it! And, it's close to what we are visiting (Williamsburg, VA). and btw, Williamsburg, VA is so much fun!!!!!

Anyway, they aren't offering the same offer we got, but they still have a special offer going where you don't have to buy the entire membership.

Also, we've saved a lot of money using Passport America. (Preeeety sure MoonStarFalling gave me that great advice - thanks!)

Anyway, we spent so much money our first year of fulltiming, it's such a relief to be doing this for so much less money!
Old 08-09-2010, 07:19 PM

indianagrl congratulations! I totally agree not having a lawn, a bunch of stuff, house etc there is so much more time left in the day that isn't spent cleaning and mowing.

IntuitiveJamie: my DH is a carpenter so we did have a ladder in the bed of our truck but I'm pretty sure we never actually needed it.

Pilgrim thanks for the review on TT! Wow yeah that would really help keep expenses down.

Homeschooling mom of two plus baby R born December 16 love.gif
Old 08-10-2010, 10:40 AM

Indianagirl-Hooray. Good for you! That is wonderfully exciting! I know a couple of mamas on here are veeery close to setting off themselves.
Pilgrim- Thx so much for the heads up. Ive been wondering about y'all and how you are doing.

MoonStarFalling-I really don't see a need for a ladder. I just can't figure out why we would ever need one. But dh is worried I'm missing something with that?

Old 08-10-2010, 11:05 PM

Small possibility you would need a ladder to get on top of the camper, to check the roof for leaks or A/C damage etc. That's if you don't have a built in ladder on the back of your camper. Otherwise, I can't think of any reason.

Old 08-11-2010, 11:18 AM

This is terrible. This weekend we decided to sell our house and start RVing, and for three days I've done nothing but obsess over the RV life. Not only am I NOT getting my house ready to sell, I'm not even keeping up with dinner! I'm in loolah land!

So even though I don't need to know any of this until much farther along in the process...

Anyone living in a Minnie Winnie? We want to stay as small as possible for ease of getting around, and ability to make do with bikes and no tow car. It's me, dh, a 6 year old and a 1 year old. Who likes this size?

Who recommends buying a used RV? We can't afford new, but I'd love to hear from people who have had great experiences with older RVs.

I want to make expenses as low as possible so I'm thinking veggie oil and solar panels. What else can I do to keep us more comfortable boondocking?

I'm thinking one year old would be in the front passenger seat in a car seat and dd and I would sit at a table with lapbelts and do puzzles/play games. Is that the sort of set-up others have? Is it possible to safely have a lap and shoulder belt installed in a seat that only has a lap belt so that dd could be in a booster? How concerned is everyone about that sort of thing?

Oh, and instruments! DH wants to travel around playing music but as it is he makes me set the thermostat to 79 in our house to protect his guitars. How does this work in an RV? Won't it heat up (or get cold) whenever we're out? And won't we be out a lot? Suggestions? Experiences? I know there are other musicians living on the road!

By the way, we're in Clearwater Florida, and 79 is cool here

Diana, homebirthing, homeschooling, homemaking wife and mother of two (plus one more coming this Spring)!
Wrap Your Baby Comfy, versatile baby carriers and lots of wrap instruction.
Preparing to move our family of five into a motorhome and live on the road fulltime at Free Range Dreams.
Old 08-14-2010, 09:51 PM

My hubby and I made the decision in Feb. So I've been obsessing for 6 months now! We are taking it slow, getting all our ducks in a row. We are getting close now though! Good luck with everything!

Old 08-16-2010, 06:13 AM

We pick up our 36 ft - big @$$ RV on Thursday- my husband went out and paid for it today, we're having a little work done on it right now.

exhale....

we were going to do it next week, we jut got lucky.

I'm so ready to go.

We're supposed to leave by the 30th to get to Dallas for labor day weekend, but I'm ready to go NOW.

exhale...
:lo ve:jo y:lo ve
Old 08-16-2010, 07:12 PM

This is FANTASTIC news Lisa! I couldn't be more excited for you...and totally envious! : joy

Old 08-17-2010, 09:28 AM

Congratulations!! That is very exciting!

Where is everybody? We are in DC for the week.
Old 08-19-2010, 10:18 AM

Still at home in Mississippi.
But putting the house up for sale in Sept.
Painting guys are coming in two weeks to do freshen up some rooms and then it's on!

Old 08-22-2010, 03:32 PM

Lisa, congrats!! We are also launching the 30th (or close).

I could use some advise. We were planning to head out at the end of this month from Minnesota, through Colorado and to the Bakersfield area for the fall/early winter. After winter we were planning to head east to be in Savannah, GA for my sister's late spring wedding. We have a place to stay free in Bakersfield and we have never been to California...however, I just found out that I am pregnant (after several pregnancy losses and 5+ years of infertility). I would guess I am due in March or April.

Desperately seeking advise pretty pleeeeeaaaaassssseeee!? What would you do? Head toward Florida and spend the winter there, lessening our travels...or stick with the free place to stay near Bakersfield? Stay in the RV at the time of birth or find a temporary place to rent?
Old 08-22-2010, 11:47 PM

Nicole- CONGRATULATIONS!!
How wonderful! And what timing, huh?
I wish I had some advice for ya, but I haven't done this before either.
I will be interested to hear what ppl have to say.
No matter what, I'm very happy for you and your family!

Old 08-23-2010, 08:55 AM

Congratulations Nicole!

I have often wondered what we would do in a similar situation. I decided we'd go live near The Farm and have the baby there!

But given your two choices, it really depends on your finances. Have you checked out how much it costs to be in FL in the winter? Depending on where you go, it can be very, very expensive. So that might make your decision for you right there - very expensive vs. free.

And I would stay in our RV and find a birthing center that's all set up for a water birth. I think it would be a lot of trouble to find a rental house and move into it. Heck, it was really a lot of trouble when we stayed with my parents for 6 weeks in their house. It was sooooo much work to put our things back into the RV, and we didn't move all that much stuff into their house, kwim?

So that's what I would do personally. Yes, I've thought about it!
Old 08-23-2010, 10:19 PM

Jamie, thank you...we are very excited! We got to see the heartbeat today and I am not due until April 19th. My one and only sister's wedding in April 30th...again...what TIMING, huh?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilgrim View Post
Congratulations Nicole!
I have often wondered what we would do in a similar situation. I decided we'd go live near The Farm and have the baby there!
So funny that my friend recommended the EXACT same thing. I am considering it! There wasn't as much information on their website as I hoped. I'm having trouble envisioning it...but from what I hear, it sounds AMAZING!

Thank you! No, we have not thought about the cost of Florida...we were hoping to do some boondocking...even if it's not exactly as far south as Florida....just in that general direction. We are hoping to take a look at Sarasota as a second place of residence and work on building a client base there during the frigid Minnesota winters (6+ months).

I keep envisioning myself 7-9 months preggo walking through the RV and doing all things RV related...and well...I dunno. I know both cagefree mama and The Happy Janssens planted roots for their recent births...and both are on the road again now. I have so much morning sickness (READ all day sickness) right now that when my hubby walks across the floor I get REALLY nauseous. Anyway, we are heading toward Colorado next month and we are really up in the air about where we will winter. Thank you for the suggestions.
Old 08-27-2010, 01:29 AM

Sooo glad to find you wonderful ladies. We have sold everything in our home, bought a 3 bedroom, 2 bath-5 slide 5th wheel, truck, sold one car, sold 4 motorcycles and put house up for rent all within one month. When the house rents, we are on the road with our two 5 year old boys whom I will be homeschooling. We are all so very excited and will be glad to leave this TX heat. We just got back from Rocky Mountain National Park in Colorado where the temp was in the 40's at night and the 60's during the day, which is so much better than our 107 degrees. Already have received the boys' homeschool materials and have started our lessons. They are very excited about their lessons. Not sure where we will go first when we head out. We've intensely put all our energy into getting ready to go, but not had a lot of time to figure out where. But, am sure it will be cooler. Does anyone have any tips for homeschooling on the road?

I am my kids' mom and my husband's girlfriend.:
Old 08-27-2010, 06:34 PM

Hi Etoy!
Congratulations on getting on the road soon. That is very exciting! Sounds like you are well on your way. We will be putting our house up for sale in the next Month and hopefully it will sell quickly. We also have one car to sell, although the more I think about it, I may donate it. It's pretty old, but runs well and still gets great gas mileage. I know there are places you can donate cars.
Anyways, sorry to derail.

Do you have a blog where you will talking about your journey or anything, I would love to keep up with you. I follow several blogs of full time RVing families.

Old 08-30-2010, 12:08 PM

Welcome Etoy, your RV sounds awesome- 3 bedrooms? Wow Your adventure sounds like an education all its own, I can't imagine the boys would need much more than the stimulation of some serious traveling to keep their wheels turning.

Nicole- congratulations, I'm not sure what Florida's homebirth laws are, but you might want to check into that while you're planning, if you plan to birth outside of a hospital. Especially if you think you want to hire a midwife. I'm a UC mama, but if I could park at The Farm, it would be like a birthing bonus miracle, that would be so awesome.

News on our RV-

It's parked in the driveway listening to me debate the merits of integrating Steampunk elements into the otherwise gypsy-ish decor.

So far we're NOT leaving today (as was planned) because our gas budget for this trip was consumed the day I had to have my husband towed out of a 9 foot ditch, then repair the tow truck damage to the fiberglass, then replace a door handle, something in the brakes, something in the fuel something, another greasy thing, generator, batteries... stupid f'ing "safety" factors. Plus the sales tax and registration for the vehicle.

But it's here, and this time next week, knock on wood, we SHOULD be heading down for a test run to California for 2 weeks.

When we get home, my husband has work to do while I decorate and then right after Thanksgiving we get to leave again, to spend our winter on the East coast.
Old 09-05-2010, 01:23 PM

Hi, I am ready to hit the road as soon as we purchase our Rig. We will be full timing with 3 kids and a giant american bulldog. we have a blog that we set up detailing everything we love to full time rv living! i can't wait --so good to find other momma's out there like us. we are living simple, green and spreading our love of Jesus.
Old 09-09-2010, 08:22 PM

rv rental

I always thought using a rental was risky, I was unsure if some dishonest company would try to blame existing damage on my family. Has any one had a good experience renting a rv or smaller camper?
Old 09-13-2010, 02:43 PM

We decided on a Travel Trailer, the cost has been justified! We looked forever it felt like it at Class A and Class C's, neither have the beds that we need. I like that the kids will have their own room! It's going to be a lot of fun! I can't wait, looks like next week we'll be on our own!

Lynne
family of movers dot com for the blog
Old 09-13-2010, 06:05 PM

That's awesome Lynne! I know you'll have an incredible time on the road. Thanks for sharing your blog.

Old 09-15-2010, 05:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lightinmyhands View Post
My DH and I have decided we're definitely going to do it, and do whatever it takes to make it happen. Dh, dd 1 and 2, myself, and the 2 dogs are going to get in an an RV and take off for untold adventure. The question that remains for me is how prepared do we need to be? A little background--- I've grown up in the city we currently live in and watched it turn from a cool hippy haven to more of a police state over the years and have a lot of toxic memories from here, besides. I don't want to be here, it's seriously negatively affecting my happiness level. And in order to more quickly save money to get on the road we are moving in with my parents next month. My parents being nearly as toxic as the city.....don't get me wrong, I love my mom..... it's just not good energy to be subjected to...she's got a lot of personal work to do. And my step-dad, well... he's another story entirely. So the quicker we can get on the road, the better. We want to own our rig outright so we have less money worries on the road, just food and camping. We're thinking smaller is better, even so far as to think a class B may be the right choice. We don't want an RV and a vehicle..... and we don't want the worst gas mileage ever either. We're happy getting anywhere we can't get in a class b on our bikes....but..... the reality of a class b with two small little girls and two dogs? (the dogs are smallish, one 40lb shepherd mix and a mini dachshund) I want dh and i to have good hiking packs, a good tent, all of us to have good sleeping bags, etc. how much stuff do i need to leave with? and how much can I have faith in collecting on the way?

also, I'm a licensed massage therapist.... is making money on the road going to be as easy for me as i imagine? And would it be better to bring a massage table? or a chair?

if anyone has any time to comment, it's appreciated.

Love and Light!
Hi, I am also a LMT, the tricky thing would be your license is only good in the state in which you received it. So anywhere else you practice you are doing it unlicensed so if something happened a. your malpractice insurance might not cover it, & b. you could get in trouble legally as well.

Ima Sophie + D + J =

User Tag List