nocturnal mamas tribe - Page 17 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#481 of 504 Old 03-11-2010, 04:10 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by eilonwy View Post
I hate not sleeping. Honestly, if I had millions of dollars with which to manipulate personal physicians, I'd probably ask for Propfol too. I have to find out what's wrong with me, it's very very depressing not to be able to sleep without drugs. I finally gave up trying to rest tonight and just took the pills. Is it asking too much to be able to sleep without them, and without getting pregnant again? Even with them, I probably won't get six hours... and that just adds insult to injury. Ugh!

Sorry to be such a downer, I'm seriously losing my mind.
I've read that lack of nutrition and/or certain processed foods can cause what you're describing. Have you looked into anything like that?

uc.jpg  lotbirth.gif   waterbirth.jpg 
#482 of 504 Old 03-11-2010, 04:18 AM

Lack of what, precisely? We're too poor to eat a lot of processed foods, but my teeth are rotting out of my head (lovely image, I know) so I find myself eating a lot of soup. That said, though my diet has been much better in the past I can't say that I've ever had an easy time sleeping. I get more sleep while I'm pregnant than at any other time, but that means that I average about six hours a night. These days, without drugs I'm down to two or less.

Rynna, Mama to Bean (8), Boobah (6), Bella (4) and Bear (2)
#483 of 504 Old 03-11-2010, 04:32 AM

Quote:
Lack of what, precisely? We're too poor to eat a lot of processed foods, but my teeth are rotting out of my head (lovely image, I know) so I find myself eating a lot of soup. That said, though my diet has been much better in the past I can't say that I've ever had an easy time sleeping. I get more sleep while I'm pregnant than at any other time, but that means that I average about six hours a night. These days, without drugs I'm down to two or less.

http://www.ehow.com/how_4519285_stop...nutrition.html

http://www.articlesbase.com/nutritio...ep-566604.html

Have you heard of the hibernation diet? Take a tablespoon of honey before bed and that is supposed to bring on relaxation and help with going into a deeper sleep. The first few times I tried it I felt completely conked out. Lately though it doesn't seem to do anything. See below for more info:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbravebird View Post
If I remember correctly, honey stimulates glucose production in the liver, which stimulates tryptophan production, which stimulates seratonin, which will convert to melatonin as long as it is completely dark (no nightlights, etc). Melatonin helps you sleep better.

Honey is an old remedy for sleeping, but I guess they've just recently nailed down the science of why.

And actually, some folks claim it stimulates the body to lose weight. Check out the hibernation diet thread for more info on all of these honey issues...

#484 of 504 Old 03-11-2010, 05:56 AM

and don't lose heart. all the best people have lost their minds (well, that's my cover story and I'm sticking to it!)

By reading this signature, you agree to join my cult :nana
Google me, you know you want to mischievous.gif
#485 of 504 Old 03-11-2010, 12:05 PM

15 minutes ago, a tiny little person shook me and said "wake up mommy, it's daytime." Why does my child think that we should wake up just b/c it's morning and the sun is shining? I didn't need to wake up to get him ready for school for another hour and 20 minutes.

Timmy's Mommy WARNINGyslexic typing with help of preschooler, beware of typos
#486 of 504 Old 03-11-2010, 12:41 PM

The first article was a pretty generic "Americans all eat like crap and it's the source of all your problems" article. That's fine, it's true in many cases, but it doesn't really apply to me. I get a lot of minerals and vitamins in my diet, and simple carbs make me physically ill so I tend to avoid them. I haven't tried the honey recently, but I don't drink milk at all and it never helped me sleep in the past. I can try it again, though. It has been a while.

#487 of 504 Old 03-11-2010, 03:37 PM

I cannot remember what it was I've read before about nutrition and insomnia. Drives me nuts to read something and then forget what it is when I need to reference it.

And you're right about the articles. I can't find what it was I read before.

#488 of 504 Old 03-11-2010, 08:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eepster View Post
15 minutes ago, a tiny little person shook me and said "wake up mommy, it's daytime." Why does my child think that we should wake up just b/c it's morning and the sun is shining? I didn't need to wake up to get him ready for school for another hour and 20 minutes.
ugh. that is just so wrong!
Quote:
The first article was a pretty generic "Americans all eat like crap and it's the source of all your problems" article. That's fine, it's true in many cases, but it doesn't really apply to me. I get a lot of minerals and vitamins in my diet, and simple carbs make me physically ill so I tend to avoid them. I haven't tried the honey recently, but I don't drink milk at all and it never helped me sleep in the past. I can try it again, though. It has been a while.
getting plenty of good nutrition is irrelevant if something is blocking your absorption.

#489 of 504 Old 03-11-2010, 08:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by majikfaerie View Post
getting plenty of good nutrition is irrelevant if something is blocking your absorption.
This just made me think. Doesn't Bean have celiac? It tends to be an inherited condition. Maybe he inherited it from you. Have you been tested for it?

#490 of 504 Old 03-11-2010, 09:09 PM

Quote:
My 3-year-old son always does the same thing. "Mommy, it's sunnytime. Time to get up." No, son, I just want a few more minutes of sleep. Do you want to climb in bed with me? "No, mom, it's sunnytime. You're not supposed to sleep when it's sunnytime." Oy.

Single mama to DS8 and DD4. Feminist. Queer. Atheist. Poly. Full-time poli sci and econ student.
#491 of 504 Old 03-11-2010, 09:37 PM

Quote:
This just made me think. Doesn't Bean have celiac? It tends to be an inherited condition. Maybe he inherited it from you. Have you been tested for it?
yep. and there's a myriad of problems with the gut and liver and stuff that can block absorption of nutrients

#492 of 504 Old 03-12-2010, 02:59 AM

Nope; Bear has a serious wheat allergy, but he doesn't have Celiac (they've biopsied his entire digestive tract to test). He eats oatmeal all the time, and barley flour cookies when we have it around (it's kind of expensive). He doesn't seem to have any issues with gluten, just with wheat.

I'm pretty good at determining whether or not I'm absorbing nutrients, though. I take an iron supplement when I can, because I often need one, but the pills and tablets do nothing but constipate me. When I take Floravital, there's an immediate and obvious difference (as well as the ability to move, so to speak). I don't tolerate vitamins well in general, but I do very well when I have nutritious food and I do poorly when I don't. When I am severely anemic, I sleep a ton but I'm not at all rested. When I'm not in a really bad way (as in just this side of needing a transfusion or beyond) it makes no difference. I'm quite energetic, awake and aware during the day, I just can't sleep at night.

If I can find some raw honey that I can actually afford I'll give it a try. What can it hurt? As for tonight, I've taken the pills and I'm going to have a nice cup of relaxation tea. I should fall asleep within thirty minutes and hopefully sleep until six.

#493 of 504 Old 03-12-2010, 04:17 AM

GL with sleeping. I need to be off to bed myself, DS has gymnastics class before school tomorrow so I need to be up early. Then I have to figure out how to fix the pipe out of our sump pump b/c we're expecting heavy rains over the weekend.

#494 of 504 Old 03-21-2010, 04:28 AM

Hello all. I haven't been able to sleep for months now. My two little ones ar always up before 8am though and I am exhausted. Insomnia comes and goes with me. I am ready for it to go away now.
#495 of 504 Old 05-04-2010, 01:41 AM

I'll join you all! I've got delayed sleep phase syndrome and it does not mesh with mommy hood.
#496 of 504 Old 05-04-2010, 01:53 AM

welcome to the tribe, and

#497 of 504 Old 06-14-2010, 09:35 PM

i can't believe i just spotted this thread. i hardly ever get to sleep before 5am these days. i am so exhausted all the time, it's ridiculous. there are days that i literally crawl up the stairs because walking is too difficult (i can't believe i just admitted that). i feel like i'm walking through waist high water.

most days, i get about 2 hours of sleep, get up, get kids settled, then when dh gets home (he works third), i crash again for another 2 or 3 hours, until he's ready for bed. by the time he leaves for work (around 10pm), i'm passing out in my comfy chair, but if i try to go to bed i can't sleep, so i nap for an hour or so, but by midnight i'm awake and can't get back to sleep til dawn.

i think most of my problem is that i'm a natural night owl, and if i go to bed at 5 or 6am and sleep for 6 hours uninterrupted i do just fine. unfortunately, that just doesn't "mesh with mommyhood" to quote a pp

"give me life, give me pain, give me myself again" - tori amos
30yo SAHM of 4 DS's: 10/98, 6/01, 2/03 and 11/04, wife to DH, 33
#498 of 504 Old 06-15-2010, 02:54 AM

damona and welcome to the tribe

#499 of 504 Old 06-15-2010, 03:23 AM

So here's a fun new development: I've been having cluster headaches. Yay. The really interesting part is that I had been sleeping-- I'd been taking my pills and passing out. Cluster headaches are thought to be related to circadian rhythm disorders due to their cyclical nature, and now I'm wondering if maybe I'm just not supposed to sleep if I want to avoid the ridiculous amount of pain. I'm starting to feel like I really can't win. I mean I guess it could be worse-- it could be FFI (which I've seriously wondered about at times) but cluster headaches are pretty freaking awful. They're like... well, if a migraine is a battle, a cluster headache is like a drive-by. Super freaking weak.

#500 of 504 Old 06-15-2010, 03:45 AM

eilonwy that sounds really sucky. I do know a good cure for headaches

#501 of 504 Old 06-15-2010, 03:59 AM

Sadly it's not an option for these. I can't stand to be lying down or really holding still when I have them, and I can't manage to do it myself when I'm in the throes of agony anyway. Cluster headaches are some of the nastiest headaches imaginable, they've literally driven people to suicide in an effort to find relief.

#502 of 504 Old 06-15-2010, 09:25 AM

I suppose we could try to cure your headache standing up in the shower...

#503 of 504 Old 06-17-2010, 03:40 AM

glad this tribe exists.... i have question 4 you all:

i'm super nocturnal and always have been. I'm blessed with a pretty nocturnal baby (3.5 mo). She typically goes to be bed anywhere between 1 and 5am and we sleep til between maybe noon and 3pmish with one, maybe 2, sometimes 3 feedings in there, and she usually has 2 or 3 naps in the late afternoon/evening. I thought this was great until my big sis started questioning me about it, saying how important it is for babies to sleep in the dark, get sun exposure, etc for their growth. So... is it really that important WHEN they sleep? I thought it was just important that they get enough sleep. I'm a SAHM so it's not like we have a schedule to keep to or anything, nor will we until preschool, which is years away now... and we do take walks in the late afternoon/early evening a lot. Thoughts?
#504 of 504 Old 06-17-2010, 03:43 AM

I don't see any reason why it matters what time of day one sleeps (babies included). as long as they do get a reasonable amount of sunlight at some time, so as not to get deficient, and the nocturnal lifestyle is working for you, no worries.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page