eilonwy
hope your bubba feels better soon

By reading this signature, you agree to join my cult :nana
Google me, you know you want to mischievous.gif
#122 of 504 Old 10-06-2008, 08:03 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I have basically no internal clock. A recent move from Atlantic to Pacific time hasn't helped. DH stays up late. I just wake and sleep at freakish and random hours.

Julie - Mom to Elizabeth (Libby) age 6, Penelope (Penny) age 5, Elliott age 29 months, and Oscar who is 1 year old!
#123 of 504 Old 10-06-2008, 10:38 PM

to all the new nocturnal folk.

We had a bad night with dd2 last night; I think she must be getting some teeth or something. She was horribly restless and kept us both awake on and off. Hopefully tonight will be better.

Wishing you all good rest when you get to bed
#124 of 504 Old 10-07-2008, 01:24 AM

I've got a friend from Oxfordshire. In fact, I think my brother is there as well. Insanity, how small and yet large the world is.

Bear's still sick. He's sleeping in little burts, and I'm going to try to catch them. I was soo tired all day today from being up with him. Poor little fellow.

Rynna, Mama to Bean (8), Boobah (6), Bella (4) and Bear (2)
#125 of 504 Old 10-07-2008, 01:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangefoot View Post
We have several friends who are disparaging about our late rising and virtuous about their early habits. Is this a protestant work ethic thing? I am working hard after midnight most nights when they are in bed so their jibes about our slothfulness are a bit irritating.

What do others think of your nocturnal life?
I work 7 pm to 7 am 3 nights a week--in fact I'm at work now, and that's a full time schedule. (Ironically, I'm a sleep tech, and spend my working time watching people sleep!) I love my job. I enjoy the work, because it's interesting, challenging, the pay is good, and I help people get better sleep. When I applied for the job, after the doctor went over my qualifications, he asked if I was a night person or a morning person. Obviously a night person, and one of the things that attracted me to the job was the hours.

When I tell people what I do for a living, the standard response is, "that's interesting, but don't you hate the hours? When I say I love the hours, people are surprised.

I have tried to be a morning person, and I failed miserably. Working nights gives me an excuse to sleep in even when I'm not working. Before I had this job I worked 8:30 am-3:30 pm. The schedule was excruciating, and the work itself sucked, for low pay, too. But I noticed more of my friends thought the 8:30-3:30 schedule was great, so I got, "it's too bad the work is awful, but at least the hours are good."
#126 of 504 Old 10-07-2008, 05:10 AM

that does sound like an interesting job, parthenia!
I'm a midwife, so I often work crazy hours, but it's never regular or predictable

#127 of 504 Old 10-07-2008, 05:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangefoot View Post
What do others think of your nocturnal life?
People are pretty accepting of my staying up late, or getting up at 3am, or otherwise random sleeping. My dad worked shifts though, as did a lot of other people we knew. Our house wasn't very scheduled since we worked around my dad's shifts and sleeping as much as was possible, and everybody understood that some people do stuff at night and sleep during the day.

I actually have a theory that everyone has a superpower. DH has super human healing. You can practically sit and watch his cuts and scraps be repaired by his body. My superpower is the ability to resist sleep cycles to which the mortal world must succumb, and to function well on not a lot of sleep.

I actually sleep more like a normal person now because DH works business hours (sort of) and the kids are kind of normal. Our oldest is inclined to stay up late and sleep for eleven or twelve hours from when she fell asleep, but our middle child sleeps 8 to 8. Left to my own devices though, without something to impose something of a schedule, I usually lapse into sleeping from pre-dawn to lunch with a nap before supper.

Julie - Mom to Elizabeth (Libby) age 6, Penelope (Penny) age 5, Elliott age 29 months, and Oscar who is 1 year old!
#128 of 504 Old 10-07-2008, 06:35 AM

Well, despite the lack of sleeping I'm usually awake at an obscene hour. I've just never been a huge sleeper. Left on my own, I will naturally lapse into a nocturnal schedule, going to bed around 2 p.m. and waking at 6:30-7:00 each evening. I"ve been this way since I was a little girl. I feel like I need more sleep, but if I get more than eight hours on any given night it means I'm ill and/or pregnant. I'm not capable of sleeping for that long every night-- when I try, I end up waking earlier and earlier until I'm only sleeping four.

So I rarely get the looks about not being productive because I'm up at odd hours. I've always been the friend that people call when something gets screwed up at 2 in the morning. Everyone knows I'm likely to be awake and if not awake able to cope with the interruption. People have been greatful for me being a nightowl on many occasions.

Today I'm tired, though. The baby slept better than he did Sunday night, but he's still not feeling well. That's what messes with me more than the amount of time I get-- the length of the little naps that make up the night. I get into a bad cycle and I'm poorly rested. Four consecutive hours? Fine. Eight hours, chopped into bits? No deal. I'm going to have to finagle a nap or two today; Hopefully the other kiddos will cooperate.

#129 of 504 Old 10-08-2008, 05:12 PM

Eilonwy, hope Bear is feeling better and that the kids cooperated

DH is working long hours during the day, and DS has been going to bed before midnight, so it looks like I'm the only night owl in the house currently.

The only person who gives me shit about my family's bedtime is my mom, most of my friends are nigthowls too or don't judge
#130 of 504 Old 10-09-2008, 09:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChetMC View Post

I actually have a theory that everyone has a superpower. DH has super human healing. You can practically sit and watch his cuts and scraps be repaired by his body. My superpower is the ability to resist sleep cycles to which the mortal world must succumb, and to function well on not a lot of sleep.
That is a good way to look at it! I'm off to bed now at a mere 1.40am because it is getting cold down here next to the pc and dh has been in bed for about 4 hours so the bed will be nice and warm
#131 of 504 Old 10-09-2008, 11:56 PM - Thread Starter

i finally updated my sig pictures... they really needed it. my oldest is turning 5 but her pic was of a 3 yr old.

Mother to Sandrel(oct 2003) and Liesl(mar 2006) and someone new coming February 2013

#132 of 504 Old 10-10-2008, 12:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by poxybat View Post
i finally updated my sig pictures... they really needed it. my oldest is turning 5 but her pic was of a 3 yr old.
I need to get to that soon, DS's pic is around a year old.

Timmy's Mommy WARNINGyslexic typing with help of preschooler, beware of typos
#133 of 504 Old 10-10-2008, 09:37 AM

Back again.I am usually in bed by 1 but lately its been creeping closer to 2 and now its looking like 3.DH is a morning person even without having to go to a job so he just doesn't get it.He thinks I should just close up shop and go to bed at a decent hour like him ( 9, the horror!).Between nursing the baby down and resetting the house for the next day and just getting time without someone on my lap ( including him) I just can't go to sleep that early.I am also the one who takes care of the youngling who needs help at night.
I get to see sunrises and appreciate them too,I am just going to sleep at that time.
What's really keeping me up right now is watching the news, BBC American has me in its thrall, no straight newscaster here would wear a lavender polka dot tie and pink shirt.

joy.gifme, herding 5 critters a cat and a dog. DS 11/01, DS 10/04, DD 2/06, DS 5/07 and DD 9/10

#134 of 504 Old 10-10-2008, 09:20 PM

It's after 2 am here and we just finished watching Casablanca
#135 of 504 Old 10-10-2008, 11:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crittersmom View Post
What's really keeping me up right now is watching the news, BBC American has me in its thrall, no straight newscaster here would wear a lavender polka dot tie and pink shirt.
You should watch the news on Channel 4 with Jon Snow; he wears all kinds of tie and shirt combos and you even get a glimpse of sock colour every now an then. I think you can watch again from that page.

Even dh is still awake with me tonight while I've been tracing and cutting a dress pattern and struggling over a small bust adjustment. He's telling me know that he feels like death so I think we'd better head off to bed.
#136 of 504 Old 10-11-2008, 12:43 AM

hey all you night owls who's up?

#137 of 504 Old 10-11-2008, 02:12 AM

We're up still. I got DS to sleep early last night b/c he didn't take a nap, but today he took an extra long one, so I think we'll be up for a while.

Timmy's Mommy WARNINGyslexic typing with help of preschooler, beware of typos
#138 of 504 Old 10-11-2008, 02:21 AM

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
We're up! I really should at least get dd1 to bed though, need to get up by 9 for a cool fall festival.
#139 of 504 Old 10-11-2008, 03:23 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
I'm up, though I really shouldn't be. I should be at least trying to sleep as I'm going out yardsaling tomorrow. I've just been tossing and turning though, so here I am on the mdc!
#140 of 504 Old 10-11-2008, 03:45 AM

i'm tired. but dd wont sleep for another 4 hours at least...

#141 of 504 Old 10-11-2008, 07:58 AM

I passed out beautifully at midnight. Then at 5:30, I was awakened by a car alarm. So was the rest of the neighborhood. : Weak. Just weak.

#142 of 504 Old 10-11-2008, 12:20 PM

Car alarms! That sucks.

We ended up watching 8 Mile after Casablanca, so we went to bed after 4 am.

DS composed some songs on guitar today and we got some on tape, so cool! He usually accompanies himself on drum, but he wanted DH to show him his guitar and took it from there. I think he would really get along with your DD, majikfaerie, but then I think everyone would. And we could all party into the wee hours together

Hopefully, we'll watch some more movies tonight.
#143 of 504 Old 10-14-2008, 10:51 PM

Has everyone gone to bed very early the past few nights? We are on a very anti-social nocturnal cycle at the moment going to bed at well past 3am and not getting up til almost midday. By the time we got out of the house today it was 3pm and the same all over the weekend.

We have arranged to meet friends at 11am tomorrow so I might need coffee when I get up...

I have cut the dress out but not yet sewn it up. I'd need to stay up til dawn to get it done and I run out of eye power around 4.
#144 of 504 Old 10-15-2008, 05:27 AM

anyone awake?

#145 of 504 Old 10-15-2008, 08:19 AM

I have been falling asleep early for the past two weeks. I think it's the change in season?

Hey mf, funny meeting you here.

earth.gif lovin, treehugger.gif  veggie

#146 of 504 Old 10-15-2008, 10:48 AM

hey rv you stalking me now as well!

#147 of 504 Old 10-16-2008, 05:19 AM

EEEK, its 1am, and I just found you guys.
I should be sleeping, well duh.. But I'm not. Anyone else up?

Mama to Belly(5), homesteading in the desert with our chickens and sheep. Fish nerd, really into my reef tank. Baby due Sep 3rd!

#148 of 504 Old 10-16-2008, 06:03 AM

I'm up

#149 of 504 Old 10-16-2008, 06:29 AM - Thread Starter

me too

Mother to Sandrel(oct 2003) and Liesl(mar 2006) and someone new coming February 2013

#150 of 504 Old 10-16-2008, 08:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by majikfaerie View Post
hey rv you stalking me now as well!
Yup!!

earth.gif lovin, treehugger.gif  veggie

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page