nocturnal mamas tribe - Page 7 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#181 of 504 Old 10-24-2008, 04:54 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I was up last night, but I was hungrily finishing that book series. When my husband fell asleep I had 200 pages to go and he said he didn't think I'd finish before I went to asleep. Well, I did. at 1:15 am.

Then today, I napped with the Chunka who started his nap at 6 pm, so I'm up! Browsing on here, mostly. I could be reading up on the additions I need to make to my thesis before I submit it. But I'm not... I also think I'm pretty awake because I did yoga between the nap and bedtime. Excersizing at night tends to wake me up.

I like the real world thing about night owls. But before the doctors "get" to work nights, they have to slave through college and medical school which requires early mornings. Also I'd be VERY surprised if one of my children decides to be a doctor because my husband and I are very vocal in our disrespect for the type of doctor that we dislike (and I think they are actually the rule rather than the exception). And our kids aren't likely to be the blue-collar type (I don't think). But adult children have minds of their own, and tend to do things different than their parents, so maybe.... However, family values tend to be strong predictors too, hmm, interesting pondering...

P.S. I skipped the playgroup this morning and cancelled on the mom group for tomorrow. Both were 10 am.

M.Ed. Mama to Chunka (1/07), Beauty (5/09) and Elizabear 3/12): Birth Doula (working toward certification) AAMI Midwifery Student, Advocating with Solace for Mothers & The Birth Survey

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#182 of 504 Old 10-24-2008, 05:56 AM

Location: In the mountains, under the redbuds, smelling the roses.
Oh man, just came across this thread. Can it really be that other moms are up when I am. I thought I was the only insane and fatigued mom on the planet!

Good to know... good to know... I'll be checking in on this thread again.

Blessings to you other nocturnal mamas.

om.gif

homeschooling mom to 2 pisces & 2 sag

homebirth.jpg waterbirth.jpg 

#183 of 504 Old 10-24-2008, 06:47 AM

hi spiritofthings nice to meet you don't worry; mom is a synonym for insane and fatigued

By reading this signature, you agree to join my cult :nana
Google me, you know you want to mischievous.gif
#184 of 504 Old 10-25-2008, 08:40 AM - Thread Starter

my oldest just turned 5

today were getting her pet rats. who are also nocturnal

Mother to Sandrel(oct 2003) and Liesl(mar 2006) and someone new coming February 2013

#185 of 504 Old 10-25-2008, 08:42 AM

cool! nocturnal famlies should have nocturnal pets

#186 of 504 Old 10-25-2008, 09:16 AM - Thread Starter

indeed. its boring if youre up and your pet is always asleep.

we have nocturnal cats too

Mother to Sandrel(oct 2003) and Liesl(mar 2006) and someone new coming February 2013

#187 of 504 Old 10-26-2008, 04:54 AM

Who's still up?

DS is still going, though NAK so I hope he'll fall asleep soon. He took an extra long nap today (I fell asleep with him, which makes him stay asleep longer,) so he's off schedual.

Timmy's Mommy WARNINGyslexic typing with help of preschooler, beware of typos
#188 of 504 Old 10-27-2008, 10:51 AM

After reading the Crock Pot megathread on the meal planning forum I went and bought a crock pot on Saturday. I'd love not to be doing a meal for an hour at the 'ratty' bit of our day between 5ish and 6ish.

However....yesterday dh and I discovered the crockpotting may not be very compatible food prep thing for us nocturnal types. We got out of bed at midday, and got to the shops at 3 to buy the coriander and fennel seeds that we didn't have for the recipe we were drooling over. We got it all in teh pot at around 5pm and had to go from low ofr 8 hours to high for as long as we thought! It was done around 9pm and totally worth waiting for but I think I might have to prep stuff at night and get one of the boys to switch the thing on when they go to school another time!

We moved from summer time to BST over the weekend so our clockes went back. Bizaarely this means we are now going to bed a bit earlier becuase 2am is now 1am. I think this effect will wear off in a week or so

Welcome to the new night folk! Darkness if very comforting.
#189 of 504 Old 10-27-2008, 03:15 PM

I've always been a nocturnal person. Heck, I believe my animal spirit is the owl! For the last few years, before my son, I worked at a bar keeping hours that suit my inner clock (usually 7pm-3am). I love doing grocery shopping in the wee hours because there is usually NO ONE there except stock people and I can zip through my list in record time.

The only downside is that, besides the grocery store, nothing else is open when I'm up and feeling productive! Doctor/hair appointments, car maintainance, and any other shopping requires hauling my zombie butt out of bed to sleepwalk into the sunlight. I dread when DS starts socializing & sleeping through the night because we'll have to flip-flop our schedules
#190 of 504 Old 10-27-2008, 09:11 PM

i haven't been able to sleep at all lately. i think partially due to going through a break-up with my gf, but also coz we have got an infestation of rats in the house :
i put out poison and traps, so its just a waiting game till they all die. but in the meantime, they're keeping me up at night, even more than usual

#191 of 504 Old 10-27-2008, 09:26 PM

Majik I'm sorry to hear about you and your gf - and the rats.
#192 of 504 Old 10-27-2008, 09:35 PM

thanks OF. it's rats on both coutns

#193 of 504 Old 10-28-2008, 03:09 AM - Thread Starter

im sorry you have unwelcome rats. i once had mice and that sucked.

on an ironic note...

our pet rats are just adorable! theyre little baby girl rats. my dd named them katy and rosalina. katy is my favourite. she chitters and 'popcorns' around(jumping all sporadically around) and is just the sweetest little thing :

#194 of 504 Old 10-28-2008, 03:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by poxybat View Post
im sorry you have unwelcome rats. i once had mice and that sucked.

on an ironic note...

our pet rats are just adorable! theyre little baby girl rats. my dd named them katy and rosalina. katy is my favourite. she chitters and 'popcorns' around(jumping all sporadically around) and is just the sweetest little thing :
We had an uninvited mouse for awhile who became very domesticated and almost pet like. I think the fact that I would be up NAK half the night and talk to him when he came out was what did it.

Timmy's Mommy WARNINGyslexic typing with help of preschooler, beware of typos
#195 of 504 Old 10-28-2008, 04:50 AM

Icky about the rats,i was upset about my itty bitty mouse.
I tried to convince everyone around me to get me a rat for my 14th bday, I don't really know why, maybe it was just a stunt.
I've gone from going to bed at 1 in the morning to going to bed at 3 whcih would be fine if I didn't have to get up to take my oldest to school.There is always someone on my lap so my computer time is pretty limited too.
IN CA a lot of places were 24 hrs and had drive ins and delivery services, I was so spoiled.
I am avoiding the laundry since DD codename Gremlin is awake and feeling spritely.I dont' do it when she is awake because she locks me out of the house.

joy.gifme, herding 5 critters a cat and a dog. DS 11/01, DS 10/04, DD 2/06, DS 5/07 and DD 9/10

#196 of 504 Old 10-28-2008, 05:58 AM

honestly, i had a pet rat when I was 18, called ZacRat, and I loved him to bits. but that was different. honestly, who wants to get up in the morning (well, afternoon, but who's counting ) to find their kitchen counter covered in rat sh!t? *shudder*
I need to keep my family healthy.

#197 of 504 Old 10-28-2008, 06:08 AM

Hello!
I got up at 2:30AM. I took the dogs out because they have to pee when I get out of bed no matter what time it is. I think they snuck back to the warm bed with dh though. It's a bit frosty.

I'm a night owl by association and habit these days. I used to naturally feel more awake at night or early morning but not all night.
Dd is the major night owl in our family. Her natural cycle is to sleep for a week or so at night and then shift to being awake all night. She sleeps for 10 hours once she falls asleep. We fought against it for a long time. Now we go with the flow and there are less tears and anger.

We homeschool. We can do that at night and sleep in.

The main issue I have is that other people do not have our schedule. Dh works during the day so sometimes it is difficult to spend time together. It is difficult when we have non-night owl guests because I have to be awake with them during the day too. It is difficult when we can't get together with other families or kids because they go to bed so early. I wish a night owl family lived close to us so our kids could play together all night. Midnight playdate anyone?

Dd should be waking up any time now.

Kim ~mom to one awesome dd (12)

#198 of 504 Old 10-29-2008, 07:46 PM

I hate seeing animals killed, but I'd definitely set up traps if I had an infestation of mice or rats. A mouse died in our bed under the covers in our countryhouse and we found out about a month after the fact. The cat dragged it in and it hid under the covers and there it perished. We were not happy campers when we found out.

Majikfearie, sorry about your gf.

Quote:
Originally Posted by majikfaerie View Post
honestly, i had a pet rat when I was 18, called ZacRat, and I loved him to bits. but that was different. honestly, who wants to get up in the morning (well, afternoon, but who's counting ) to find their kitchen counter covered in rat sh!t? *shudder*
I need to keep my family healthy.
Oh, and orangefoot, I hear you about the crockpot woes, although I still want to get one to help with the evening meal.. We have a pressure cooker and we're really happy with it. It cooks things real fast.
#199 of 504 Old 10-29-2008, 07:52 PM

all I can say is the rats have now polished off the *second* box of poison; greedy f@#$ers!

#200 of 504 Old 10-30-2008, 10:39 AM

Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmm rat poison!
#201 of 504 Old 10-30-2008, 11:31 AM

yah, well, now it's 1.30am, and i can't sleep. and now i can't even blame it on the rats - I think they all started dying coz I haven't been hearing scuttling tonight.
ugh.

#202 of 504 Old 10-30-2008, 01:59 PM

Oooh is a dead rat better than a live rat? Not sure on that one to be honest; it gives me the shivers thinking about it!

East Carolina - we are long time pressure cooker users so the slow cooker is a major departure from our normal habits. It will still be in use at least as much as usual I'm sure but tomorrow will be a crock pot dinner.... maybe.
#203 of 504 Old 10-30-2008, 04:44 PM

ugh. DS just fell asleep and its only 8:30. This usually means it's going to be a rough night. I've written before about him sleeping best from 11-9 or 12-10 or even going to bed later will guarantee a long solid sleep. But he is also a child with whom you cannot possibly enforce bedtimes or induce sleep. He just falls asleep when he's ready. he sleeps just like an adult would, except he still nurses to sleep and when he's waking up

Orangefoot, thanks for bringing up the crockpot from a nocturnal, late riser perspective. But DH has been working more and cooking is all up to me, so throwing the evening meal into the crockpot in the morning and then forgetting about it till it's time to eat is really enticing. Plus we eat alot of stews, soups and bean dishes, so all of those are well suited to crock pot cooking.

Majikfaerie, hopefully rats won't bother you anymore and hope you get a good sleep. How about some chamomile tee?
#204 of 504 Old 10-31-2008, 08:24 AM

Nooo! I think there might be a dead rat in the wall above my bed there was a swarm of ants there this morning, and we've never had an ant problem before. gah! will this never end!

#205 of 504 Old 11-01-2008, 02:59 PM

Oh no! Keeping fingers crossed that your rat woes will end soon!!!
#206 of 504 Old 11-02-2008, 05:51 AM

thanks
I still haven't managed to sleep though. perhaps tonight will be my night.

#207 of 504 Old 11-02-2008, 08:36 PM

Hi : I've always been a night owl. My oldest DD is one too for sure. We are all adjusting right now because she started Kindergarten in the fall and it starts at 8:15am! That would have been a deal breaker if it wasn't such a great school. It is really hard for me to even consider going to sleep before midnight. We'll probably homeschool in the future. Maybe in the very near future. I love going grocery shopping and bike riding in the middle of the night.
#208 of 504 Old 11-03-2008, 10:27 AM

Lucyrev We love that Brimful of Asha track. It came out when my boys were little and we took it on CD when we moved to Mexico. We used to play it really loud driving in our van down the highway between Cancun and Playa del Carmen and people used to ask us what it was because they had never hear anything like it!
#209 of 504 Old 11-03-2008, 08:27 PM

Cool! That sounds awesome.

I went to see them play about a year ago. I won free tickets! It was super fun. There wasn't a very big crowd but everybody there seemed to be enjoying themselves.
#210 of 504 Old 11-05-2008, 10:59 PM

Majik - how's your dd tonight? I hope she is feeling better now. I saw your post on Parenting but by the time I read it you had fixed your problem!

The last time I saw delirium with fever was dh with tonsillitis and no antibiotics about 5 years ago. His hands were growing and dogs were eating them. He has no memory of any of it at all.

After posting last time we must have listened to Fatboy Slim's remix of Brimful of Asha 10 times or more on youtube. Gotta love the internet for that!

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page