City Dwellers/Ppl that walk everywhere/bus riders - Page 5 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 07-26-2009, 01:17 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by klk197 View Post
Hi all. We, too, don't have a car here in Philadelphia, and I'm hoping you might be able to advise us. On occasion, we rent a car to travel or grandparents come to town and we hop in the car to do a big shopping trip. We've been using a borrowed infant car seat, but soon, DS will to be too big for it. Can you recommend a convertible seat that 1) doesn't cost a bundle 2) is easy to install quickly curbside--no driveway 3) is light enough to carry 4) will fit most styles of car in a rear-facing position. Is this an impossible thing to find? I fear that my wild little boy could require some trips to the emergency room via taxi some day, and we'll need to own our own seat (borrowing one will no longer be an option!). I've been searching the web, but haven't found anything yet that seems right. . . and all of the stores that sell them are out-of-town, and hauling one back on the bus seems a bit ridiculous when I can have it delivered to my door.

We have the Cosco Scenera (between $40. and $55. depending on where you live and where you purchase) convertible and it's been GREAT. We can use it RF or FF and it's very easy to pop in and out of whatever vehicle we're using.

upsidedown.gif  Please see my Community Profile! energy.gif blogging.jpg about Asperger's Syndrome!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-29-2009, 05:06 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
My daughter is young (9 months) so she rides everywhere in my Sleepy Wrap. We walk and take public transportation constantly because I hate driving, she hates the car seat, and we're trying to be eco-conscious. We still have 2 cars, but I'm trying to talk my husband into selling mine.

Superherolactivist.gif and mother to Peanut (03/20/09) and Twig (01/20/2012). Fighting for the rights of mothers out there who winner.jpg selectivevax.gif fly-by-nursing2.giffemalesling.GIFfamilybed1.gifhomebirth.jpg and much more! mdcblog5.gif 

Old 12-29-2009, 09:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vancouver Mommy View Post

I really believe in living locally and supporting local businesses. I buy my clothes and gifts in the neighbourhood and never go to the mall. We are also trying to get into a local housing coop. I know tons of moms in the neighbourhood and in the 3 years since dd was born have developed some wonderful friendships. I wouldn't move to the burbs for anything.
Ouch. I know you didn't mean to, but this attitude from Vancouver city dwellers -as if the only people in Van that can live carfree/ in a walkable way live there - annoys me. We have lived carfree in those terrible burbs for 5 years. ;-) We take transit everywhere, the bus stop is 2 mins walk from my house. 2 blocks from my house in the burbs is a library, pool, city archives, park, dog park, restaurants, groceries etc. A mall is 15 minutes walk. which I guess makes it local shopping? Har. DH bikes to work DT. You may not be aware of this - most vancouverites aren't, I find - but the Vancouver car coop has many cars in burbs like Burnaby, for people who need a car sometimes but don't want to buy one. As members, we have access to a car only a few blocks from our house. I can think of quite a few other burbs where this is possible, so it's not that unusual.

Burbs can be walkable too.
Old 02-01-2010, 11:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tapioca View Post
Ouch. I know you didn't mean to, but this attitude from Vancouver city dwellers -as if the only people in Van that can live carfree/ in a walkable way live there - annoys me. We have lived carfree in those terrible burbs for 5 years. ;-) We take transit everywhere, the bus stop is 2 mins walk from my house. 2 blocks from my house in the burbs is a library, pool, city archives, park, dog park, restaurants, groceries etc. A mall is 15 minutes walk. which I guess makes it local shopping? Har. DH bikes to work DT. You may not be aware of this - most vancouverites aren't, I find - but the Vancouver car coop has many cars in burbs like Burnaby, for people who need a car sometimes but don't want to buy one. As members, we have access to a car only a few blocks from our house. I can think of quite a few other burbs where this is possible, so it's not that unusual.

Burbs can be walkable too.

Fellow 'burbanite with gratitude.
We're not all McMansioneers trying to kill the rainforest.

4 kids under 10
Old 03-04-2011, 12:04 PM

My kids love the bus. Now that we have 4 youngsters, I find myself using the car more than I'd like, but boy the kids beg for the bus!

Old 08-01-2013, 02:01 PM

Can this be revived? Another thread begun? I want a car-free network up in here! wink1.gif

I'm about to divorce and start living CF in an apartment near downtown Austin, TX. My 2 kids will be with me at least 50% and i have a bike w/ Burley Encore double trailer/stroller. Also, my apartment will be on the bus line. STBX will have an apartment less than a mile away. My job will be about one mile away. I am excited to try this!

User Tag List