Nomadic Families - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 54 Old 11-09-2008, 11:57 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Looking to connect with other mothers who travel a lot. We travel every year, for extended amounts of time, often overseas. Typically, we have a period of 3-6 months a year without any kind of home base.

We're about to have a 7 month stable period, and of course we are already dreaming of the next trip...

Anyone else have a similar lifestyle?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 54 Old 11-09-2008, 11:52 PM

We don't travel- we move. My four year old has moved 4 times in 4 years- my 1.5 year old has already lived in 3 states. Does that count?

To my husband I am wife, to my kids I am mother, but for myself I am just me.
we're : with and : and
#3 of 54 Old 11-10-2008, 01:50 AM

I was going to say that we move too. My 3 1/2 year old has lived in 8 different places, including overseas. My 14 month old has been in 3 different places so far. And at this point I don't realistically see it slowing down that much in the forseeable future, even though I keep dreaming about it.

Go Green I don't vax either, why mess with perfect?
#4 of 54 Old 11-20-2008, 11:41 PM - Thread Starter

Frequent moving can count, sure why not? You understand the challenges of packing, relocating, resettling, living with very little to simplify the lifestyle....
We've just resettled into a rental home that we also had last winter (its seasonal) and will be in one place for 7 months! Exciting!!
#5 of 54 Old 11-21-2008, 06:45 PM

This lifestyle really appeals to me. I'm a wanderer by nature, I guess

I was going to ask about some practical matters like money and legality of living overseas, etc. I suppose if you call it travel instead, you can get a travel visa for extended trips?

Do you have a place where you store furniture or other items or do you dwindle your possessions down to suitcases?
#6 of 54 Old 11-24-2008, 02:44 PM

yup, we move too. my 2.8yo has lived in 4 places already...but i`m worried. cuz his scenery changes, i mean his family changes. got divorced, back to moms place and now at my partner`s place. he isn`t handling it too well. any inpput? cuz i don`t plan on keeping still for a while, i want to live everywhere and my partner does too.
i`ve been moving since i was born. i`m 33 and i`ve lived in 11 cities, 7 countries and i love it!
#7 of 54 Old 11-27-2008, 01:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaraBoo View Post
This lifestyle really appeals to me. I'm a wanderer by nature, I guess

I was going to ask about some practical matters like money and legality of living overseas, etc. I suppose if you call it travel instead, you can get a travel visa for extended trips?

Do you have a place where you store furniture or other items or do you dwindle your possessions down to suitcases?
We don't move furniture. We thrift or rent depending on how long we'll be somewhere.
It's all about keeping it simple, or there's no way I'd keep my noggin attached with all the moving.

To my husband I am wife, to my kids I am mother, but for myself I am just me.
we're : with and : and
#8 of 54 Old 03-14-2009, 01:55 PM

Im a move-a-lot-mama.. i can never seem to stay anywhere very long.

its hard. i love to make a home cozy and beautiful...and i love to pack it all up and try it out somewhere else. its not like i'm running from anything..but i just get such itchy feet to go somewhere else..see what else there is to see.. BUT... i have 3 kids now, and a dog and cats and *stuff* and its not as easy as it used to be!

since my son was concieved we have moved.. (need to count it out) something like 13 homes?! probably more even. not always very far from the other, but sometimes over 600 KM too! its mind boggling and i wodner why i can't seem to find a place to put down roots. i felt like when i moved into this home that i was finally going to stay. but here i am, 9 months IN and already considering moving..and not close either!

when i was small we moved a lot too, so maybe its a learned thing, or maybe im just a gypsie at heart. i dont know.

right now im living in a small town. it is beautiful and my home is nice. its not perfect but its good. its cheap rent and close to the school where my son goes. he has some friends. its not too far but far enough from town. we can walk down to the river to swim in summer, and to the school/health food store when its not so cold. we have some wonderful friends. my sister moved here to be near to us.

ive worked on this home to make it ours. painted and fixed it up..and yet still im thinking of moving. i have good reason. my SO's sister lives in a lovely small town about 6 hours from us and our kids are similar ages(we are the only ones in either of our families with kids around this age) and we really want them to grow up together. she is an MDC mama and really great and the town has a lot more to offer a family like mine than the one we are in. there is a possibility that the house she lives in will have an opening for a 4 bedroom suite, which is what we need..and its so lovely and we would be right next door to eachother. this is whats got me thinking of moving again..but there is always a reason or excuse to move!

Is there any other move-a-lot-mamas around here?

Quote:
Once in while you get shown the light in the strangest of places if you look at it right....

#9 of 54 Old 03-18-2009, 08:56 AM

Yes, I'm in. I have moved quite a lot internationally and also within countries. I know how you feel. I am also thinking of moving again but really can't stand the thought.

I'm Olivia. I blog about physiological childbirth, homebirth, and unassisted homebirth!
#10 of 54 Old 03-21-2009, 12:19 AM

On average, I've moved about once per year over my lifetime. But I've been through several phases where we moved at least 1-3 times per year. My dad was Air Force, and he got out when I was 16. We lived at one base for 9 years. I stayed at my first job location for 8 years before moving closer to family last year, but those are the two longest stretches.

I'm *trying* to settle down, but I'm also trying to have a career, and trying to honor my family values. The three haven't quite meshed yet, but I guess I'm still young.

Unitarian Universalist Pagan
#11 of 54 Old 03-23-2009, 10:06 PM

Oh, this is so me! I always moved since childhood, my mom and I lived in Cali, then NEw Orleans, then Missouri and then when she remarried we moved to Africa and then to Philly and then my Step dad joined the Airforce and we moved to Hawaii and then I moved back to Philly, then back to New Orleans.....LOL and then I just kept moving......S.C., Arkansas, COlorado now....and I'm nowhere near done.
It is a total itch to be everywhere all at once, I'm glad I'm not the only one!
#12 of 54 Old 03-24-2009, 01:54 PM

Mom was a move-a-lot Mama. She had to move a lot as a kid, then as an adult. Since I was born, we've moved more times than I care to count.

I'm probably going to be similar, but not necessarily on purpose. I'm living with my elderly father in an apartment, and hope to get my own apartment before the baby is born. After that, I'm hoping to move in with my DPs, if they can get a place of their own.

I don't have the money to buy my own home, so I'll probably be apartment hopping for the next few years. Bleh!

- Born 7/21/09
#13 of 54 Old 04-27-2009, 03:30 PM

We move around once or twice a year.We only switch states but I want to go overseas.I love it. It keeps things fresh.
#14 of 54 Old 09-22-2009, 04:50 AM

Mom also moved us kids around a lot...so I think I must have been conditioned to be that way. I moved around a lot as a kid and then continued the journey when I was able to leave home.
It wasn't until I met my DH that I settled down. And believe me...there were times I felt so antsy to pack up and head out.
Now having my DD's..I am trying to keep them a little more stable than I was...and the fact that there is family here. But now due to money and some things going down in our neighborhood, we are thinking about moving. I suggested renting so we could easily move if we didn't like the area. Not sure if we move DD's away from family or not?????

joy.gif

#15 of 54 Old 09-22-2009, 12:38 PM

This is me too! Since my DS was born, he has lived in four different states and about two different homes a year. I think the longest I have stayed in one house since I moved out of my childhood home was about fourteen months and that was when I was married the first time. My DH is a wanderer too and he just signed up for military so I don't see this pattern changing anytime soon - in fact the military might actually make us stay put longer than we might normally.

I'm a minimalist, I hate having alot in my house but I like my house to be comfortable. We discussed RV'ing but my DS doesn't have the temperament for small spaces. Or maybe we don't have the temperaments to deal with him in small spaces. I can't stand to be in one place for too long, I just always want to be in different places.

I will say one thing though, my DS has the most adaptable personality from being moved so much. He can handle any situation at any time and he loves meeting new people and seeing different places. I know part of this is due to his outgoing, social personality but I think it also has something to do with having to deal with many different situations.

Right now, we are looking at apartments or homes here in the town where my in-laws live. I'll be here for a year before DH gets his permanent orders, he ships out in February. Nice to know I'm not the only one with wanderlust.

Novel writing student Mama to ds (8y) and new DD 1-13-10.

#16 of 54 Old 09-22-2009, 12:43 PM

I'm an itchy-footed mama, too. We've been in the same town for nearly three years now, but have moved into several different houses. Before that, I didn't stay in the same town for more than two years, since graduating high school. Now with three kids, we finally decided we need to be *gasp* responsible and actually save up some money before packing everything up and moving across the country. We're hoping to leave within another two years - but I don't know if my itchy feet will stay still for that long.
#17 of 54 Old 09-22-2009, 08:14 PM

I'm a move a-lot-mama. Dh and I now have baby no.3 on the way, so it's getting harder, but I think we've moved country (in-laws in different countries) about 7 times in 5 years of marriage, and have moved house 9 or 10 times. And we're both at the stage where we love the idea of settling down, but whether it'll ever happen or not, I don't know.

I am concerned though, that our kids might be better off with staying in one place. For all the mamas who moved a lot as kids, did you mind? Looking back, do you think it would have been better to have stayed in one place? Or do you look back on all the childhood moving with good memories?

Thanks.
#18 of 54 Old 09-23-2009, 04:58 AM

I am definitely in this category. Until I was 16 I think my family moved something like 17 times (my dad has major wanderlust) and since I was 16 (I moved away) I have probably moved on average 2-3 times a year.. this is the first year I will have lived in a place for more then 8 months.

I love to travel and I like to live in new places, Ive moved across the country a few times, and now I'm living abroad.. . we're considering moving again next year when our lease is up.. so I am not sure there is any sign of stopping until our DS is born and needs to be in school..

DS1 Dec 2009 fuzmalesling.gif DZ Twins July 2012 babyboy.gifbabygirl.gif

#19 of 54 Old 09-23-2009, 08:02 AM

Any misspellings or grammatical errors in the above statement are intentional;
they are placed there for the amusement of those who like to point them out.
#20 of 54 Old 09-25-2009, 02:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikki74 View Post
I'm a move a-lot-mama. Dh and I now have baby no.3 on the way, so it's getting harder, but I think we've moved country (in-laws in different countries) about 7 times in 5 years of marriage, and have moved house 9 or 10 times. And we're both at the stage where we love the idea of settling down, but whether it'll ever happen or not, I don't know.

I am concerned though, that our kids might be better off with staying in one place. For all the mamas who moved a lot as kids, did you mind? Looking back, do you think it would have been better to have stayed in one place? Or do you look back on all the childhood moving with good memories?

Thanks.
Nikki74...I don't think I minded so much moving as a kid, I think what I didn't like was going to a new school all the time. I never had that group of kids that I went to school with since 1st grade. I have scattered friends all over. I think the way my Mom did it wasn't so much the best way, but I know she did what she could...sometimes not so good choices. As I got older I always felt like i needed to move if I was anywhere to long. Now don't get me wrong, I love to travel and see new places, but when I get somewhere new, I feel ok for about a year and then feel the need to move on. When I got married I had a hard time settling down, and really feeling like this is my home. I guess that's it...I never felt like I had a "home"...my grandparents home was the only stable place I knew. Even now 6yrs later...I do not feel like this is my home...my Dh feels like home to me...but not the house. Does that make sense??? I lived in a VW for 1/2 a year and I think I felt more at home in that tiny space, cause I knew it was not permanent.

joy.gif

#21 of 54 Old 09-25-2009, 06:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nolliebfly View Post
Nikki74...I don't think I minded so much moving as a kid, I think what I didn't like was going to a new school all the time. I never had that group of kids that I went to school with since 1st grade. I have scattered friends all over. I think the way my Mom did it wasn't so much the best way, but I know she did what she could...sometimes not so good choices. As I got older I always felt like i needed to move if I was anywhere to long. Now don't get me wrong, I love to travel and see new places, but when I get somewhere new, I feel ok for about a year and then feel the need to move on. When I got married I had a hard time settling down, and really feeling like this is my home. I guess that's it...I never felt like I had a "home"...my grandparents home was the only stable place I knew. Even now 6yrs later...I do not feel like this is my home...my Dh feels like home to me...but not the house. Does that make sense??? I lived in a VW for 1/2 a year and I think I felt more at home in that tiny space, cause I knew it was not permanent.
Thanks for the reply.

We are actually planning on homeschooling, so school will be able to come with us wherever we go, though I do realise that they'll need to find friends to hang out with as well.

We are planning on settling down 'somewhere' after the next baby comes...atm we are where we are because the baby is due in six weeks, and we're hoping to move somewhere permanently early next year.

I'm just worried that even if we moved to my favourite place in the world (Australia), I'd still want to move on after a year... I just don't know that there's *anywhere* I could call home. And that's weird, because my parents moved once when I was a year old, once when I was twelve, and they're still in the same house 23 years later. Plus my dad has lived in the same town all his life...so it's not like I came from a wandering background, and nor did dh. I just don't know where we got this wanderlust from! And I enjoy it, but I want what's best for my children too.
#22 of 54 Old 09-25-2009, 02:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikki74 View Post
I'm just worried that even if we moved to my favourite place in the world (Australia), I'd still want to move on after a year... I just don't know that there's *anywhere* I could call home. And that's weird, because my parents moved once when I was a year old, once when I was twelve, and they're still in the same house 23 years later. Plus my dad has lived in the same town all his life...so it's not like I came from a wandering background, and nor did dh. I just don't know where we got this wanderlust from! And I enjoy it, but I want what's best for my children too.
I didn't move alot when I was a kid either - only two homes in 16 years and then I moved out of my house at 16 so my wanderlust is not a product of my childhood. I have yet to find a place that feels like "home" to me too. I think part of that is even though I lived in one place for so long as a child, it wasn't a safe, secure "home" - just a house with people that called themselves my family if that makes any sense and so I never felt like I could be fully comfortable there. I spent more time outside in the trees than I did in the house. I also spent a summer living in a tent in the woods - that and now everytime when I am out in the woods are the only times I feel really home. I like that I don't have to feel tied to a stick structure but I imagine one day I might want to settle down for longer. Just not right now. We have found an apartment by the way but will be leaving when DH gets his permanent duty station - about a year. That will be a long time for me in one place again.

Novel writing student Mama to ds (8y) and new DD 1-13-10.

#23 of 54 Old 09-25-2009, 08:00 PM

We move a lot. I'd say about each year if not more. Soon we'll be buying a home so no more moving for us at least for a while.

Kimberly, Mama to DD (8/22/05) and DS-UC! (8/10/08)
Moving to the country, goin' get a lot of
#24 of 54 Old 09-26-2009, 04:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by remijo View Post
I didn't move alot when I was a kid either - only two homes in 16 years and then I moved out of my house at 16 so my wanderlust is not a product of my childhood. I have yet to find a place that feels like "home" to me too. I think part of that is even though I lived in one place for so long as a child, it wasn't a safe, secure "home" - just a house with people that called themselves my family if that makes any sense and so I never felt like I could be fully comfortable there. I spent more time outside in the trees than I did in the house. I also spent a summer living in a tent in the woods - that and now everytime when I am out in the woods are the only times I feel really home. I like that I don't have to feel tied to a stick structure but I imagine one day I might want to settle down for longer. Just not right now. We have found an apartment by the way but will be leaving when DH gets his permanent duty station - about a year. That will be a long time for me in one place again.
I think you may have hit on something there...you just pretty much described my family too. I always wanted to escape and get out, but I was hardly ever allowed out of the house unless I was going out with my mum. Maybe that's why I still end up feeling stifled after a while of having a set routine, and needing to escape again. I just don't want to pass it on to my kids...
#25 of 54 Old 09-28-2009, 04:45 PM

We move alot too.
People think we are weird but that is just what we do.
We actually bought a house and have lived in one home for a year and for the first time, my kids are in the same school for more the 1 year.
However, I am not holding my breath as we have this insatiable desire to move again.

We have moved around a lot since I joined the navy. As a child, I lived in the same house for 18 years. In the past 18 years though I have lived in so many homes I cannot count and lived in 6 different states, 10 different cities (dont ask about home many homes) We have homeschooled and public schooled the kids.

Our kids are 15, 14, 9 and 7 and so far I think they are very well adjusted kids. My oldest however keeps asking us to move again. LOL, poor girl, last she she wanted to attend one school for her entire highschool career.

Well, lucky kid gets to go to Europe next summer for 3 months. Maybe she'll be okay with that.

Question for you all that live and move around Internationally.
What do you do for a living that allows you to move so freely???

I'm jealous!
#26 of 54 Old 09-28-2009, 05:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadfamily6now View Post

I'm jealous!
My husband's work is over the internet and by phone...so work just comes with us wherever we go. It's just that the more time zones we cross, the more his work hours change...but we do feel blessed that he doesn't have a permanent job that keeps us tied to a place.
#27 of 54 Old 09-29-2009, 03:27 PM

I have merged the nomadic and familes that move a lot threads.

earth.gif trottin', pole dancing, Norway and Sweden lovin' , hippie.gif,WOHM Kiddos born waterbirth.jpg 12/11/06 and 08/09/08 
belly.gif with #3 puke.gif EDD:01/2013 yikes2.gif So in love loveeyes.gif with my sweet Swede 2twins.gif and my bonus-son 10/25/98 carrot.gif

#28 of 54 Old 09-29-2009, 04:49 PM

Quote:

I'm jealous!
I am a programmer as is my husband so as long as we have an internet connection, we can work

DS1 Dec 2009 fuzmalesling.gif DZ Twins July 2012 babyboy.gifbabygirl.gif

#29 of 54 Old 10-28-2009, 11:19 AM

well I guess we should be here as well if not for the fact that we get itchy feet and wanderlust a lot. I'd say we're still looking for a place we can call home.

I'm from Connecticut and moved to Miami in 97 my first out of state move (lots within the state once I was old enough to move though). Met dh in 2003 (he's from France and has traveled all over Europe, Africa and Asia) and we moved a couple of times in Miami, bought a house, sold it 7 months later, moved into a rental for 7 months, and then left for Buenos Aires where dd was conceived and born. We came back to the States and went to NC, San Antonio, and Savannah, before coming back to Miami.

I think our biggest factor for wanderlust is we're still trying to figure out what it is that we really want. My brothers still live in CT, my parents have already passed away, dh's fam is in France, and we are self employed. So we dont' really have anything tying us in one place except the need for some stability because we have four pets and not a lot of extra money at the moment.

We plan to home/unschool so that isn't an issue. But, we don't want dd growing up here in Miami where it's basically beach or mall (beach is okay but not mall). I'm also sort of a locavore and hate that there are no farmer's markets or local farms , and no great real true hiking quiet areas. But also since we dont' have fam, we really would like to find like minded people at least for awhile

So now we're on a quest to see what might catch us - currently we're considering Portland, Seattle, northern Cali, New Mexico, and except for the snow there are parts of the NE I would consider like the Berkshires of Massachusetts. What I think will happen though will be that we'll move and we'll get wanderlust again...but as much as I also love moving to new places to explore, sometimes it does get old

Laura mama to Caitlyn 12/26/06 and Frenchie dh non vaccing unschooling multilingual family
#30 of 54 Old 10-28-2009, 06:51 PM

We move a lot. I'm anticipating a move in 2 years right now. We just got relocated to NY for the army and in general they move you every 2 years. Sometimes people get lucky and get to say longer, I'm sort of hoping that for us. I hate packing with a passion.

Mother to a crazy wonderful son born 7-11-09 and A very determined amazing daughter born 5-3-12!

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page