Midwife Recommendations? Henry Medical Center or Griffin-Spalding - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 10 Old 04-06-2009, 11:24 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hello all,

We just moved to this end of town, where we now have a horse farm & home school our kids. We just found out we are expecting baby #4 and I'm a nervous wreck about delivering in this area.

I am a huge advocate of natural childbirth & breastfeeding. I need to find a midwife that will listen to me (high risk pregnancies, but I *know* what my body is doing & when), is backed by a good OB or perinatologist for my preterm labor issues, but will leave me alone until it's time to catch the baby at the hospital for delivery.

Any recommendations? The two hospitals close enough to me are Henry Medical Center & Griffin-Spalding Regional Hospital. We are located in Barnesville.

Thanks in advance!
#2 of 10 Old 04-07-2009, 10:13 AM
zak

PMing you.

-zak- Mama to three fantastic sons - 2005, 2007 & 2010 and expecting a daughter February 2012!

#3 of 10 Old 04-07-2009, 10:35 AM

I don't think there are any midwives in Griffin for hospital births but if you find some I'd like to know! I delivered at Southern Regional with my first child and won't be doing that again!

Good luck!

I'm in the Barnesville area also.
#4 of 10 Old 05-22-2009, 02:24 AM

Dr Schilling is my ob, but I have never delivered with him. Very nice, into choices, including liposuction and contraceptive ads in the mail! Other than that, I would have no problem with using him if I *had to*. I think our hospital choices are the limiting factors. Have you spoken to any midwives around?
#5 of 10 Old 05-22-2009, 02:32 AM
zak

I also used Dr. Schilling, but never had him attend a birth. I like him as far as I can tell.

-zak- Mama to three fantastic sons - 2005, 2007 & 2010 and expecting a daughter February 2012!

#6 of 10 Old 07-25-2009, 10:14 PM

Hey, did you find a good care provider? I'm in the same situation. I could go to HMC or SRMC, but I really want someone comfortable with natural birth. I heard there's a midwife at HMC on staff, but I don't know anything about her. A few people recommended Eagle's Landing OB/GYN.
#7 of 10 Old 07-25-2009, 10:17 PM
zak

Dr. Schilling will give you the standard hospital epidural birth if that's what you want, but he'll also be as hands off and supportive of NCB as you want as well. He let my friend's Hubby catch their baby.

I don't know much about HMC's policies or their lactation department, but you could always check out AMA after the birth when you're ready to leave.

#8 of 10 Old 08-19-2009, 10:31 AM

Hi,
For the ones that have used Dr. Schilling but not for a delivery would you mind telling me who you used? I'm assuming you had homebirths, right? I talked to a midwife during my last pregnancy and I think he is who she used as a back up but I don't remember for sure.
Thanks!
#9 of 10 Old 09-01-2009, 08:41 PM
Banned

If you can make it to Newnan, I highly reccoment Eileen Thrower if you haven't found anyone.

She's with Newnan/Piedmont OB/GYN.
#10 of 10 Old 09-10-2009, 03:47 AM

Anyone looking for a MW might want to check out the GA Friends of Midwives face book page. They have educational events that might be helpful. Given the political climate, they need all the help they can get.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page