Moving - help me compare Guntersville, Tifton, Thomasville - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 08-11-2009, 06:56 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
DH is starting to entertain job offers, so I'm starting my research. (He's a surgery resident right now. We live in the Cincinnati area, and I've really "found my tribe" here. I have a LLL group, monthly API meetings, a weekly AP playgroup, and I know the homebirth midwives.) It's funny - he checks out the Chamber of Commerce and the hospital's website and real estate. I have been Googling local LLL, API, and homeschool groups!

The three that are currently front runners are Guntersville, AL; Tifton, GA; and Thomasville, GA. I'd LOVE to hear from any mamas who leave in the general vicinities -- what's the "crunchy" culture like? I'll have a 5yo and a 2yo at the time of the reloc., and hope to have another baby once we get settled. So, homebirth options? homeschool groups? API? Playgroups or similar?

I have a feeling that DH is going to sit me down and ask me which place(s) I prefer - so I appreciate your input!
#2 of 4 Old 08-13-2009, 01:04 AM

Concerning the two towns in Georgia: Tifton is a nice little town, but I don't know anything about its crunchiness or lack thereof. Actually, the same is true of Thomasville, but I do know one factor in its favor: its only about 45 minutes north of Tallahassee, Florida, a straight shot on Hwy 319. (Tifton is also on 319, about an hour north of Thomasville.) I've known people who lived in Tallahassee and commuted to Thomasville. Tallahassee has a lot of options: several midwives, and at least one birth center (The Birth Cottage). Florida has fairly easy-to-satisfy homeschool laws, and Tallahassee has a free school (The Grassroots School). If you search this forum for 'Tallahassee', I'm sure you'll come up with a few threads listing other benefits. And Florida has no state income tax.

Lisa ~ wife to Daniel ~ mama to Claire, born July 2009 (IVF baby!)
#3 of 4 Old 08-13-2009, 08:31 PM - Thread Starter

knew that Thomasville was "commutable" to Tallahassee - but didn't realize Tallahassee had such great things going on! Thanks for that perspective... something to think about!
#4 of 4 Old 08-17-2009, 03:29 PM

Just saw this ~ yes, Thomasville is really nice! It's a beautiful area, and there are several organic/free-range farms in the area. We get meat and cheese from farms in Thomasville. There is a holistic health center and some nice resatuarants, but that's about all I know of Thomasville.

However, I live in Tallahassee, and it's only about 30 min from the northside to Thomasville. It took a little while to get settled in, but Tallahassee is a very down-to-earth, low-key town with lots of natural family living options. The PP is right - there are midwives, farmer's markets, alternative schools, food co-ops, local shops and lots of great outdoor recreational fun! : I stay at home with my daughter, and there are tons of family activities and kid-friendly events around town. I have known several people who live here and commute to Thomasville.

Lovestruck luxlove.gif mama to Girlie #1 energy.gifand Girlie #2 on the way!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page