Tampa Bay Delayed Vax? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 10 Old 11-05-2009, 03:22 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hello,

I am expecting baby #1 Mid Feb!

I am looking for a pediatrician that is open to a delayed vax schedule. We choose not to vaccinate until 1 yr, possibly 2 yrs old. And then only selected vax, if any. Do you know of a pediatrician who accepts Tricare?

I've also been told not to tell the pediatrician ahead of time that we aren't vaccinating and just deny the vax as they offer them. Any experience with this?

I have no problem standing my ground once I am in. But I am having a hard time finding a pedi who will even accept us as a patient.

Any help is appreciated.
Thanks!
#2 of 10 Old 11-06-2009, 10:09 AM

I'm also from Tampa and had the hardest time finding a pediatrician. I delivered my first at a birthing center and declined the Vitamin K and eye ointment...no pediatrician in Tampa would take me.
I finally went to my midwives and they recommended Danuta Jackson at Better Health Medical Center. She's in Clearwater, so it's a little bit of a drive, but she's SOOO worth it. She is always understanding and she'll give you her opinion without any judgement if you don't go with it. There can be a bit of a wait at the office, but she'll spend as much time with you as you need. She never rushes you if you have any concerns or questions.
Her number is (727) 781-1312.

Daryl~~ to Troy~~SAHM to Skylar (5/21/09) and Dylan (9/23/09)
#3 of 10 Old 11-06-2009, 07:34 PM

My pediatrician is fine with delayed/no vax - they only ask that you have a religious exemption on file. His name is Jeth Salomon and he's located in St. Pete. His number is 727-381-5467.
#4 of 10 Old 11-06-2009, 07:37 PM

Should have included this in my earlier post - I don't know what your birth plan is, but he was also fine with us having a home birth. His mom was a midwife, so he's very familiar and comfortable with the idea of birthing outside of a hospital environment.

Also, congratulations!
#5 of 10 Old 11-28-2009, 09:05 PM

http://www.kidsdoctoroffice.com/

Dr Stephen Kargas. He is amazing. I find him kind, gentle and a wonderful doctor. I always can be seen if my daughter needs it. We refused a few vax and he gave me his position on it and then said "you're the mom. you're call". I first started going to him when my daughter was 2 and when he found out I was still nursing her he praised me and said not enough women do this. I asked him how long did he promote breastfeeding and he said until you and the baby wanted to stop. When I went in there when my daughter was 3 still breastfeeding he still didn't bat an eye. The receptionists are wonderful. Meri the PA is a gem.
There office is rather religious. There are pictures with the lords prayer on there and Dr Kargas is a very Christian man, so for those of you who are not into that, I guess it could be considered a deterrant. But I am not Christian and neither is my husband and we never felt out of place.

He accepts homebirth babies and from what I heard, he caught his last baby at home ( I don't think his wife made it in time).

They take Medicaid and lots of other insurances.

When my daughter had croup, most other places were really quick to give out steriods for the cough. He gave me natural remedies to try and if those didn't work we would go with the meds.
I can't say enough about him. I really like him. We might differ on some things, but he doesn't talk down to me and he gives his professional opinion and lets me decide.

lady Mummy to Smoosh, 8-2005. Waldorf inspired homeschooler and crazy knitter!
#6 of 10 Old 11-28-2009, 10:26 PM

I second Dr. Jackson, when we lived on the west coast, my children were her patients. She was wonderful!

Tara--mama to Riley (9/01) Nolan (4/04) and Finnegan (11/08). Unschooling Rocks!!!
#7 of 10 Old 12-16-2009, 12:38 PM

We have been going to Jay Patel in New Tampa. My daughter was born at Breath of Life birth center in Clearwater and Dr. Patel had no problem with that. We have also been doing delayed/selective vacs and have had no questioning/problems whatsoever. On our first visit the nurses actually asked if we would be immunizing our daughter. I'm not sure how great he is with breastfeeding support, though. I don't mean he doesn't support breastfeeding in general, but I'm not sure how educated he is on dealing with any feeding problems.

Wife of a wonderful husband and love.gif mommy to Alice 6/09 and Jude 6/11. belly.gifExpecting a new someone 9/19/13!

#8 of 10 Old 12-17-2009, 09:41 PM

Dr. Jackson is awesome. Been with her for 7 years. She has never given us a hard time for not vaxing and she came to our house after the birth of each of our children (home birth). Her wait is a little long but that's because you feel like she is with you the entire time; no foot out the door, kwim? Oh, and she gives you her cell number and we have used it at 4 a.m. and she answers. enough said!
#9 of 10 Old 01-09-2010, 10:16 AM

Was just searching for prenatal info and came across this- we have a vax friendly pedi in Tampa but had to sign a release stating both risk and benefits. If anyone needs someone closer in PM me and I'll share.
#10 of 10 Old 01-09-2010, 03:36 PM

This may or may not be of concern to you, but just thought I'd mention that Danuta Jackson is a Scientologist.

Darla dishes.gif Jimguitar.gif Wrenflower.gif Papahat.gif Grandma dog2.gifNana Anne jumpers.gif & the Great Cosmic Mimi om.gif
3 houses - 2 blocks in the old neighborhood = 1 eclectic/traditional tribe!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page