vba2c srq/tampa/st. pete areas - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 9 Old 11-25-2009, 11:09 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Does anyone know a midwife in the general area that will do vba2c? I'm in north Sarasota and have heard that nobody here will assist, so figured I'd branch out by 50 miles or so Thanks!

Married to DH since 11/02; mama to DS 7/06 and DD 4/08. Wannabe knitter and TF newbie
#2 of 9 Old 11-29-2009, 02:26 PM - Thread Starter

Hmmm, not a one, huh? Is it illegal for midwives to attend vba2cs in Florida?

Married to DH since 11/02; mama to DS 7/06 and DD 4/08. Wannabe knitter and TF newbie
#3 of 9 Old 11-29-2009, 09:40 PM

Have you checked with Labor of Love Birth centers? So far as I know it's not illegal to do vbacs of any sort, but many hospitals will not allow them. I know the hospital where I had my boys at on the other side of the state will not allow vbacs of any sort as they do not have a constantly staffed operating room My understanding is most hospitals have switched to not allowing vbacs unless they do have the staff on hand at all times to perform a c-section.

I don't know if they offer vbacs or not, but I am seeing the only midwife group that delivers in a hospital, Tampa General, on Wednesday. Their website is http://www.whcflorida.com/ Good luck with your search!

Kristina mom to A 1/12 J 11/05 D 4/08 and tiny dude in late April 2010
#4 of 9 Old 12-01-2009, 02:01 PM

Jill Adams I have heard is wonderful.

lady Mummy to Smoosh, 8-2005. Waldorf inspired homeschooler and crazy knitter!
#5 of 9 Old 12-02-2009, 12:56 AM

I have a neighbor lady who used Jill Adams and LOVED her. She had a successful HBAC. She said she tried to go with LOL but she said that she was risked out. I used the m/w with LOL Lutz and LOVED her but I don't know about VBA2C.
#6 of 9 Old 12-03-2009, 12:44 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks, mamas! Jill Adams is the only name that has come up on the ICAN boards as well - and everyone speaks very highly of her! Here's hoping she doesn't think SRQ is too far away

#7 of 9 Old 02-24-2011, 11:05 AM

I would not recommend Jill Adams. Maybe it is just me. She seems to need more control over birth than I am willing to give. So I made sure she would arrive only to catch the baby.

What I didn't like is that she wanted me to lie on the back to push out the baby (same story happened to another mama). For a better view? Can't think of another reason. And I didn't like at all that she pulled out my placenta. There was no much bleeding: normal, according to her. So why? It felt like she was a bit in rush but I do not want to think it was the reason.

In general she was hectic and nervous, which is not the behavior a birthing mama needs.

ETA: When she did newborn check she missed a problem - not life threatening one - that should be taken care within the first year of life. Not a biggie as we see pediatritian, still.....

stpetemama likes this.
#8 of 9 Old 02-25-2011, 06:58 AM

ETA:  I just realized how old this thread was.  Leaving this information up for any women who might be looking for this information this year.

I would at least talk to Christina Holmes at Birthways if you haven't already.  http://www.birthwaysfamily.com/  Maybe she won't do an HBA2C, but she might have some good ideas for you.  Oh, and check with Harmony ****** and Alina Vogelhut at Rosemary Birthing Home.  www.rosemarybirthing.com

In Florida, a woman wishing to have a homebirth after cesarean is required to have a consultation with an OB (or a physician that has OB priviledges) that has to be documented to go into the midwives file.  This consultation is to notify you of the risks and benefits of VBAC vs. ERC and if you are expected to have a normal pregnancy and delivery you should be cleared to attempt a VBAC at home.  It doesn't specify how many previous cesareans, so it is really up to the midwife and OB after they examine your medical history.

Here is a list of Florida midwives that includes if they attend VBACs or not, anyone that does is at least worth checking out/talking to:

http://63.134.240.27/ffom/MidwiferyinFlorida/FindaMidwife/WestCentralRegion/tabid/380/Default.aspx

It is currently illegal to have a VBAC in a Florida birth center.  We have been trying to get that rule changed.  But the homebirth midwifery rule does allow for it if the consultation is done and physician and midwife feel you are low risk enough.

#9 of 9 Old 03-19-2011, 03:42 AM

Thank you for the update, we are hopeful for a second and want a VBAC if it happens. My primary doctor is very encouraging of midwives so it is nice to have starting place to look. My OB/GYN has already said she will not keep me if I want to VBAC.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page