Kay Johnson - AWS - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 11 Old 01-29-2010, 11:55 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi all -

I mostly lurk here, but am a very natural-minded mama and I read that Kay Johnson was highly recommended by many mamas and doulas here. I had an appt with her a week ago, and I probably had really high expectations (and definitely high hopes), but I am not sure that I her. I may just be spoiled to the homebirth warm/fuzzy approach to birth,

I would like to discuss this more with others who know her, so if you'd like to help me with my decision, please PM me. I can't tell many of the details here on the forum, as I don't want to break any rules.

Kay's office is a haul from Dawsonville and TBH, I just can't afford the time/gas for a second chance appt. if we're just not going to click, kwim?

Here's a quick bit of info about me... I'm at 20 weeks with my 3rd, and I had an attempted homebirth last time, that ended in transfer with a natural birth 15 minutes after arrival at the hospital... I want a homebirth, but DH doesn't (and I'm working on that ). I like prenatal appts that happen on my couch at home, lol. My closest hospital option is Chestatee in Dahlonega, and there are currently no CNMs delivering babies there.

Thanks so much to any mamas who want to help me!
#2 of 11 Old 01-29-2010, 01:24 PM

Well, hmm. I've heard Kay described as a "sassy aunt", which I think fits her pretty well. She isn't warm and fuzzy (though I can't resist pointing out that there are plenty of direct-entry midwives who are definitely not that, either). But, that's neither here nor there - certainly what matters is who you would want to be at your birth. Kay can be brusqe, but she most definitely has women's best interests at heart. She's very hands off at births; unless there's a need for something else to happen, you'll be the one catching your baby, know what I mean?

Also, she's now practicing with another CNM named Janet, who I've only met once; didn't get much of a sense of her personality, but I think it's pretty strong and no-nonsense, like Kay's. Sounds like you might like Anjili and Margaret at Intown Midwifery better; though I don't know how much farther that would be for you - they deliver at Atlanta Medical in midtown. Good luck!

Lucky mama to Isaac , born on Valentines Day 06', certified birth doula, midwife apprentice
#3 of 11 Old 01-29-2010, 02:45 PM

If you are lookig for more of the friendly and welcoming type of midwife.. I whole heartedly suggest CNM Diane Tandy at Gifts from Grace obgyn. She is very welcoming and a loving woman. I wanted a homebirth as well, but being that this is a first time delivery for me, and having twins.. I just felt it wasnt worth the risk this go round (being that Im 40 mins from the nearest hossy) And neither did 14 of the 16 HB MWs that I talked to in the area. Anyway.. she was very supportive of my wishes of a natrual birth and understood WHY I wanted a homebirth and has promised to make it as close to that as I can. She is a kind soul and will honor your wishes with decisions along the way. She assists births at North Fulton (Your water birth option) and Emory Johns Creek.. where her office is. From you, that is closer than any of your other real options.

Mother to 3 wonderful boys. Doula, MW apprentice, Photographer, Foster/adoptive mom, twin mom and advocate for much.
#4 of 11 Old 01-29-2010, 04:24 PM

I sent you a PM! Feel free to PM me back with questions or if you need more info.
#5 of 11 Old 01-29-2010, 11:21 PM

I just sent you a pm. Congratulations!

Mommy to my busy little Kora 10/20/2009.
#6 of 11 Old 01-31-2010, 09:24 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you for your responses, mamas! For some reason I didn't et email notifications, so I'm a little late getting back on the thread!

Unfortunately, Alpharetta is already 70 minutes from me (I live at Amicalola Falls, next to Burt's Pumpkins), so I'm 20 min from 400, and heading further south is just too far for me.

I like the idea that she's so hands-off for the birth...

Maybe Kay's personality won't bother me as much for regular subsequent prenatal appts, but the first time I meet a midwife, I like to discuss things a little, and my midwives for my 1st birth were much more "welcoming" and interested in how *I* was doing (Sherri Nored & Susan Cheek in Dahlonega... now both out of state, I think).

I did call one of the HB midwives from my 2nd birth (one moved out of state), and talk with her... she lives about 2 hrs from me. She's thinking about whether we can work that out, and I'm working on DH to agree to HB.
#7 of 11 Old 02-11-2010, 10:31 AM

I love Kay's no-nonsense style but I can see how some women would want someone more...what, motherly/midwifey? The thing is, in a hospital you're not going to get continuous labor support from your midwife. Depending on the time of day and how busy she is, she may be with you starting in transition, or she may come in when you're pushing. If you can't end up doing the homebirth, then you may want to consider hiring a more motherly kind of doula, since a doula is the one who'll be with you throughout your labor.

Laura, CBE and mom to Maddiewaterbirth.jpg ( 06/03/04) & Graceuc.jpg (  09/10/06)

#8 of 11 Old 02-11-2010, 05:10 PM

What about the midwife at www.npobgyn.com at Northside-Forsyth Hospital?
Closer to you than Alpharetta.
I mean, you are a tried-and-true birther, you could probably birth with most anyone and do well. One of my friends birthed with them and had a natural birth. Since you already have a history of birthing well, I'm not sure you need to drive such extreme distances.
#9 of 11 Old 02-11-2010, 11:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nfpmom View Post
What about the midwife at www.npobgyn.com at Northside-Forsyth Hospital?
Closer to you than Alpharetta.
I mean, you are a tried-and-true birther, you could probably birth with most anyone and do well. One of my friends birthed with them and had a natural birth. Since you already have a history of birthing well, I'm not sure you need to drive such extreme distances.
I don't know, I think I would try to stay about a million miles from one of the listed midwives. Only 2 of the midwives in that practice actually attends births and they only do so on specific days of the week. Then you are left with the OB's....

Nichole, mama to 6 blue-eyed babies, LCCE, doula, apprentice mw
#10 of 11 Old 02-20-2010, 02:03 PM

OP, do you need more testimonials? I had Kay at NF when she was with ISIS. Agree with PPs about her being brusque, but I found her to be wonderful. She will take the time to answer any questions you have at appointments but you have to ask or I guess it can be a short appointment. I had a doula so didn't notice Kay's "absence" during labor. She popped in occasionally and always when I asked for her. Very importantly, when my water birth turned tricky and I had to get out, she was amazing and held off the OB lurking outside the room. When I needed her to be, she was right there with me and was respected by the staff as the professional in charge. My doula commented that at another hospital and with a different provider, I would have ended up with intervention.

Let me know if you need more details.

babyboy.gif: 01/10/2009 and 09/29/2011

#11 of 11 Old 03-03-2012, 01:54 AM

I know you posted this a year ago, but what midwife would you stay a million miles away from?  I'm going there now and on the fence about switching.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page