Intown Atlanta Pediatricians? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 02-12-2010, 01:45 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My husband and I just moved into Grant Park and are searching for a new pediatrician. We've been seeing Dr. Kute since our first was born and we hate to leave her practice but we are trying to be green and not drive so far

Any suggestions? I've heard mixed things about Intown Pediatrics in Glenwood Park and would love to hear feedback about them as well since they are SO close to our house.

Perpetual Student/SAHM to DD(5), DD(1) and little bean EDD 8/29/2012 homebirth.jpg

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-12-2010, 05:51 AM

We're in the process of switching to Intown Pediatrics but haven't had an appointment yet. Our baby is due in a couple of weeks, so I'll be able to give some feedback then. What are you looking for in a pediatrician? I have to admit that my "crunchy" qualifications are pretty low--the pedi we are switching from is quite mainstream but I liked her well enough. She (old pedi) never gave me particularly bad advice and was supportive of extended nursing, though she didn't throw me a party for doing it or anything, which is fine with me.

Personally, my main qualifications are that the doctor is laid back and flexible; i.e. we can agree to disagree on certain things. I went to the meet and greet at Intown and Dr. Sells is definitely pro-vax (and pro the recommended schedule) if that's something you're curious about, but she also said she would work with parents who chose to delay or selectively vax. I have read in other places that she has referred parents to the Sears vaccine book as a good source for info on delayed or selective vaxing. Not sure how she feels about not vaxing at all if that is a concern of yours.

I have also heard wonderful things about Dr. Marion Owen in Decatur. She's a family practitioner and from what I have heard practices very holistically, but last I checked she was not accepting new patients. Not sure about the current situation there. I know a few people who really, really love Carole Hermann, a pediatrician in Decatur.

I'll get back to you on Sells in a couple of weeks if you can tell me specific concerns. PM me if necessary.

Blair, mom to the amazing Nora (8/06) ribboncesarean.gif, sweet Anneliese (2/10) vbac.gif, and super Henry (8/12) vbac.gif

Old 02-12-2010, 02:21 PM

NAK but we've been going to Sells for 8 months. We brought up delayed vaxing via the Sears method when my son was 2 months and found Sells' reaction to be very negative. She gave us a bunch of handouts and websites to visit that refuted Sears and any kind of delayed schedule. (She also said we'd have to sign a form to do delayed-vaxing.) We haven't mentioned it but we're pretty sure she wouldn't be co-sleeping supportive either.

We've had other problems there but I think I'm not allowed to list those here. We have found them to be very queer-friendly and Sells seems pro-BFing. The resident frequently refers to how much formula we're using though (as in "When you give him his formula, make sure..." ) even when we mention that our guy is EBF but I think that's b/c that's what he uses w/his kids. He also recommended feeding cereal anywhere between 4-6 months, saying nothing about waiting til 6 months or not starting w/cereal being better. Could be b/c he's still a resident but...

Love nurse Chris though.

We went through a period where we were desperate to switch but after a big search, I realized that most Peds would probably do/say similar things and the ones who don't are too far or not available to us. Plus, we're in Cabbagetown so IP is very convenient. So, we committed to only discussing health stuff (not parenting) and only taking ped advice when it felt right. We've been feeling much better ever since!

PM me for more info if you'd like.

mom to DS born 5/29/09, DS #2 born 5/2/2011, partner to a PhD (finally!), pleased to be co-sleepin', lovin' our 3 cats and 4 dogs and raisin' our LOs vegetarian.
Old 02-12-2010, 02:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruskintl View Post
My husband and I just moved into Grant Park and are searching for a new pediatrician. We've been seeing Dr. Kute since our first was born and we hate to leave her practice but we are trying to be green and not drive so far

Any suggestions? I've heard mixed things about Intown Pediatrics in Glenwood Park and would love to hear feedback about them as well since they are SO close to our house.
DS has been seeing Dr. Sells since he was born, and he's 19 months now. Whether you are going to be happy there depends on how "crunchy" you are. We are probably middle of the road. We vax on schedule, and I agree with the pps that Dr. Sells is very much in that frame of mind. But, she is definitely pro-BFing, which I appreciate, and never asked me any questions about extended BFing or when I planned to wean. She has a BFing group that meets once a month in her office. Probably the most important thing to me is that she has never offered any parenting advice -- no comments on sleeping, or starting solids, or discipline, etc. But she still takes time to talk with us if we have questions, and is very gentle and sweet to DS. So, we like her a lot.

We also have had good experiences with Chris. I haven't seen this new resident, so I can't say much about that.
Old 02-12-2010, 03:30 PM

Dr Marion Owen with Whole Family Medicine.

momma to 4!
Old 02-12-2010, 05:19 PM

Hmm, sounds like Dr.Sells has changed her stance on vax since we started seeing her a couple of years ago. At that time she said she had parent's who do everything and parents who do nothing, and it was the parents choice. She did recommend the flu vax for my son since he has asthma, which I understood. Also, I had to make a decision about Hep A, and she just left me in the room to make it, stuck her head back in and ask if I'd decided; when I said we weren't going to do it, she just nodded and said o.k.

She is very pro bfding from what I've seen/heard. She knew my son was still nursing at 2 and mentioned that I should come talk to her breastfeeding group about extended bfding. I've liked her, and I love the nurse and one of the front desk people. When we've needed something, they've taken care of it fast and efficiently. But I do know that a doula client of mine has been very unhappy with her, and is looking for a new ped.

I guess it's much easier for me to tell you who I don't recommend, since we were at two really crappy practices before that.

I have also heard good things about Dr.Herman.

Lucky mama to Isaac , born on Valentines Day 06', certified birth doula, midwife apprentice
Old 02-12-2010, 06:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by atlantafemme View Post
NAK but we've been going to Sells for 8 months. We brought up delayed vaxing via the Sears method when my son was 2 months and found Sells' reaction to be very negative. She gave us a bunch of handouts and websites to visit that refuted Sears and any kind of delayed schedule. (She also said we'd have to sign a form to do delayed-vaxing.) We haven't mentioned it but we're pretty sure she wouldn't be co-sleeping supportive either.

We've had other problems there but I think I'm not allowed to list those here. We have found them to be very queer-friendly and Sells seems pro-BFing. The resident frequently refers to how much formula we're using though (as in "When you give him his formula, make sure..." ) even when we mention that our guy is EBF but I think that's b/c that's what he uses w/his kids. He also recommended feeding cereal anywhere between 4-6 months, saying nothing about waiting til 6 months or not starting w/cereal being better. Could be b/c he's still a resident but...

Love nurse Chris though.

We went through a period where we were desperate to switch but after a big search, I realized that most Peds would probably do/say similar things and the ones who don't are too far or not available to us. Plus, we're in Cabbagetown so IP is very convenient. So, we committed to only discussing health stuff (not parenting) and only taking ped advice when it felt right. We've been feeling much better ever since!

PM me for more info if you'd like.
we have had a similar experience.

pm me if you'd like details. but I am in the process of looking for another ped. last appt. was sorta the last straw for me. my husband and i are in total agreement on this one.

i would not recommend going to her as a first time mom. the token EXASPERATED response for any and every question you might have (and before you ever even get finished asking it) - will be - ALLLLLLLLLLL babies do x/y/z....

and before i go on a rant...i'll just leave it at that.

i would LOVE to get in with Dr Owen but have not gotten a return call for them and am pretty certain their wait list is LONG.

also - atlantafemme (c-town is our old stomping ground!) i miss that place...

32 - son born 9/21/09
Old 02-12-2010, 09:26 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for all the info!
We are definitely pro-bf as long as possible (I nursed DD until she was 3) and we co-sleep. I have mixed feelings about the vax schedule, DD is fully compliant only because she has a heart defect.
I just found out I am pregnant with our second and would like to choose which vaccinations we do and when, and if its a boy we definitely are not circumcising.
I know I won't find a ped who 100% agrees with me, as long as they aren't pressuring me to do what I believe is wrong for my child I am fine!

Perpetual Student/SAHM to DD(5), DD(1) and little bean EDD 8/29/2012 homebirth.jpg

Old 02-14-2010, 08:49 PM

Dr. Owen will suit you. Just go on her wait list.
Old 02-20-2010, 01:34 PM

I highly recommend Dr Hermann, Rainbow Kids in downtown Decatur (I live in Inman Park and it takes 12 mins to drive there). She herself had a family bed with her 3 kids. When we've had issues with sleep she never once mentioned CIO and actually gave us a handout with The No Cry Sleep Solution on it. She's never given me a hard time about using an alternative vax schedule. She's not Dr Kute (we used to go to her too), but she's a pretty good second.

babyboy.gif: 01/10/2009 and 09/29/2011

Old 02-21-2010, 10:58 PM

We use Dr. Sells and have used her for the past 17 months. Honestly, we love her. She has a laid back approach that I like a lot...I don't want someone doing tons of testing on my child for no reason.

As for the vaccine issues, I vaccinate my child on schedule. I know some mothers in the area who are delayed vaccinating and have heard them say that Dr. Sells does lead them to the Dr. Sears book.

I also attended the breastfeeding support group almost every month for the first 6 months and now go about every three months. Last time I went, I asked about tandem nursing, and nobody, not even Dr. Sells blinked an eye, which I thought was very positive.

Now that you're in the area, make sure you check out the Grant Park Parent Network. It's wonderful!!

SAHM mom to 3 wonderful kids!

Old 02-22-2010, 02:38 PM

Dr Sells has been our ped since my son was born, 8 months ago. We don't vax at all and Dr Sells hasn't given us any grief over it. yet. I'd be interested in what others negative experiences have been, and wouldn't mind being pm'ed with more info.
Old 02-22-2010, 10:51 PM

I love Dr Hermann at Rainbow Kids Pediatrics. She is wonderful.
Old 02-28-2010, 12:16 AM

we go to Intown but have seen Chris from the beginning. she's perfect for us and is very flexible and laid back. we recently had an appt. that Chris couldn't make and saw Dr. Sells instead and i wasn't to thrilled with her. their new office is beautiful and they finally have a "sick" area in the waiting room. you will have to sign off on paper work if you're not vaccinating.
Old 03-03-2010, 03:36 AM

We just went to Dr. Hermann for the first time today (found her on this thread). We loved her! She took 50 minutes with us, didn't blink when we told her we haven't vaxed beyond 4 months, are still BFing, co-sleeping, vegan, etc. She didn't rush to antibiotics, gave DD plenty of time to warm-up, and her staff was great, too.
Old 03-04-2010, 01:42 AM - Thread Starter

wow, sounds like we should go with Dr. Hermann

Old 03-05-2010, 02:25 AM

Just wanted to throw my hat in for Carol Herrmann. She has a bit of a wacky neighbor vibe, but she is VERY good about respecting parents wishes when it comes to things like breastfeeding, circ'ing, & vaxing. I also love that she takes so much time with each patient. I have never ever feel like she is rushing us through an appointment (quite the opposite).
Old 04-21-2010, 02:59 PM

For those who see Dr. Hermann, can you let me know what your average wait time is? I just want to be prepared. Also, does she have separate sick/well waiting rooms or do you go into a room and wait immediately?

Any other thoughts on her would be great. Thanks!

Shop at Weedle Weedle for cloth diapers, nursing pillows, swaddle blankets and more!

Free Shipping on orders over $75!  Customer Rewards!  

Old 04-21-2010, 05:59 PM

I've had to wait 40 minutes but also 5 minutes - probably an equal number of times. Lately, I've been going just after they re-open from lunch and it has been quiet. Dr Hermann told me after school is the worst time to go.

There are no sick/well areas but the staff get you back to a room very promptly. I've perhaps only once been sat in the waiting room with someone else and for just a couple of minutes.

A parking tip - you have to pay to park in the lot associated with the building so we park across the road in the Kroger and I wear ds up to the office. It's really no hassle.

It's not the swankiest of offices I've been to but it's clean, the walls are fun (I'll not spoil the surprise), and the staff are great.

babyboy.gif: 01/10/2009 and 09/29/2011

Old 08-30-2012, 11:46 AM

Any others like Dr. Herrmann?? I'd love to go with her but she doesn't take our insurance. :(  Dr. Owen is still not taking new patients. 

Looking for someone who won't be shocked at my uncirc'ed son and is a combo of traditional/holistic kind of person! :)

Thanks mamas!! 

i.

ilse, happy mama to Emma and Max
:

Old 08-30-2012, 08:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilsesthings View Post

Any others like Dr. Herrmann?? I'd love to go with her but she doesn't take our insurance. :(  Dr. Owen is still not taking new patients. 

Looking for someone who won't be shocked at my uncirc'ed son and is a combo of traditional/holistic kind of person! :)

Thanks mamas!! 

i.

I have the same problem with Dr. Herrmann. Used her for years, but then she stopped taking my insurance. I've been very happy with All About Kids. It is far from me- I live in Tucker, they are in Lawrenceville. But it is worth the drive. It is two women doctors, Dr. Overcash and Dr. Wilkiemeyer. They are very supportive of breastfeeding and say they are "vaccine friendly." They are obviously pro-vax, but they are super understanding and will take a long time to talk about your issues. They actually have three different vax schedules they offer: the CDC schedule, Dr. Bob's schedule, and another I'm not sure on. I believe they will also take no-vax patients. Anyway, a great option if you are willing to make the drive!

Amanda, mom to dsd (16), dd (11), dd (8), and ds (born 11/12/11).

Old 09-03-2012, 08:26 AM

Thanks, TTMN!! :)

ilse, happy mama to Emma and Max
:

User Tag List