Mobile, AL questions - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 02-22-2010, 08:53 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Hi mamas!

My family and I are taking a road trip (mid-March) and will spend one or two days/nights in the Mobile area. I've ordered travel guides from the state but haven't received them yet. So I thought I'd see if anyone who lives there or is familiar with the area can suggest things to see and do? Places to stay/avoid? My kids are school-aged and we like just about everything. I've never been to AL and I'm looking forward to the trip. I'd appreciate any suggestions! Thanks!!

Mom &  RN   intactivist.gif
Pardon the typos - CWOK (cat walking on keyboard)   signcirc1.gif

#2 of 6 Old 02-22-2010, 10:52 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I don't live in Mobile (about an hour away). I'd check out the http://www.exploreum.com/ they are having a dino exhibit right now.

There is also the USS Alabama - http://www.ussalabama.com/

Can't help you with places to stay, sorry.

Wife, mom to DS (4), DD (2) and baby heart 2.7.13

#3 of 6 Old 03-05-2010, 05:13 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Thanks for the info! I'm getting ready to leave for my trip in about a week. Please keep the ideas coming!

Mom &  RN   intactivist.gif
Pardon the typos - CWOK (cat walking on keyboard)   signcirc1.gif

#4 of 6 Old 03-05-2010, 07:55 PM

Hi
I am in Mobile...I second the idea of The Exploreum and the Battleship. Both are really fun and interesting.

Also in Mobile, there is Bellingrath Gardens, which my kids always enjoy, andFive Rivers Delta Resource Center to see lots of local wildlife.

Have you thought about heading across the bay to Gulf Shores? The beaches here are beautiful There are also amusement parks like The Track, lots of mini-golf courses and really good shopping

Hope this is helpful and that y'all have a wonderful time on your trip
#5 of 6 Old 03-05-2010, 09:55 PM

I loved the Exploreum when I was growing up. Fort Conde was interesting and it's free. It's not too far from the Battleship and I believe there are other historical Mobile exhibits in the area, though I'm not sure what because I haven't done the tourist thing in ages. My grandparents lived there when I was growing up and they took me to every museum in town multiple times, but that's been a while ago. When I go there now I'm mostly doing family dinners and not much else.

I also liked the Mobile Carnival Museum, which is basically all about the history of Mardi Gras. When I was your kids' ages I loved seeing all the fancy dresses, etc. I don't know if every kid would like it but I thought it was neat.

Blair, mom to the amazing Nora (8/06) ribboncesarean.gif, sweet Anneliese (2/10) vbac.gif, and super Henry (8/12) vbac.gif

#6 of 6 Old 03-06-2010, 04:35 PM

I am from Mobile and have lived here all my life, I actually just moved to Grand Bay, still in the county but no longer in the city. The Exploreum is great, Bellingrath Gardens is fun, There is Fort Conde downtown, There are also several smaller museums as pp mentioned that are located downtown. The Mobile Museum of Art is nice, if your kids are into that sort of thing and there is a beautiful park right next to it.

Also there is The Environmental Center, which is free to the public but I have never been there except field trips so I don't know how that works for individuals. It is a pretty cool place for kids to see. There is the battleship, and if you want to go to Dauphin Island, there is a sea lab, Fort Gaines, and you can take a ferry accross to the Gulf Shores and see Fort Morgan as well, something that I really like to do as a kid. In Gulf Shores there are tons of things for kids to do in the summer, I am not sure how much is happening right now. There is a zoo over there a waterpark, and some small amusement park type venues. You can take the ferry back across to Dauphin Island or you can drive back from Gulf Shores which is about an hour drive.

Hope you have fun!

Resigned from teaching to be a doula and freelance writer.  run.gifMommy to blahblah.gif (06/05) and Peace.gif(05/07) and bouncy.gif(09/09) and fly-by-nursing2.gif(02/11)

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page