best birth classes in ATL? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 13 Old 03-10-2010, 12:10 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi ladies,

I'm wondering what route to go regarding natural birth classes....right now I'm leaning toward hypnobabies....

Anybody had experience with hypnobabies?

Or any other great natural childbirth class in ATL?

Thanks for the info!

5*10*15*20****25****30***35****40*42
#2 of 13 Old 03-10-2010, 10:51 AM

I have heard good things about hypnobabies As far as really good classes on natural birth and all sorts of other things, I always recommend Baby Steps.

Sarah
aspiring midwife Mama to Declan - 7/14/00 and Bastian - 11/20/07.
#3 of 13 Old 03-10-2010, 03:05 PM

check out alaboroflove.org

full disclosure that i am a doula with that group, but i started as a student when i was pg w/ #1
#4 of 13 Old 03-10-2010, 04:56 PM

doulanichole teaches a class for the HOPE center that is excellent and very affordable. she just started a series and i'm not sure the schedule for the rest of the year, but you could pm her and ask I sat in on her class as part of my doula training so that is one I have first hand experience with.

I have also heard good things about baby steps classes and know people who have been pleased with the LOL classes.

Christine, mom to C(7.5) - E(5) - J(3) - B(10 mos)

Doula, childbirth educator, Co-leader of ICAN of Atlanta

"Never miss an opportunity to make others happy, even if you have to leave them alone in order to do it." ~Anonymous

#5 of 13 Old 03-22-2010, 10:53 PM

I took the Hypnobabies Home Study Course and LOVED it!!! I totally recommend Hypnobabies, whether by class or home study! I loved it so much that I plan on becoming an instructor in the next couple of years! Good luck!

Tiffany, wife to Ian, mom to Kieron (4) and Callum (2). Baby Due Mid April, 2011!
#6 of 13 Old 03-23-2010, 09:58 AM

I just wanted to say I'm looking for the same thing right now, except I'm leaning toward the Bradley Method (if only they weren't so expensive! Is it really worth $325?), and I live in Lawrenceville, so something in Gwinnett County would be ideal. I checked out the suggestions here: BabySteps doesn't seem to have any classes in my area, and while A Labor of Love does, the next session I could join would go right up to less than a week before my due date. I also have the option of a generic childbirth prep class from Kaiser (my HMO) for only $10, but I'm thinking you get what you pay for, and they're unlikely to do natural birth any justice. Ugh! So frustrating!

~Teresa, pregnant with my first, due August 27, 2010, hoping for a natural birth
#7 of 13 Old 03-23-2010, 11:15 AM

Just got a call-back from Better Birth Foundation who offers the class taught at Emory Eastside where I'll be delivering. That option is $95 and all crammed into one Saturday, but they claim to teach "the best parts of all other methods" and "everything you need to be prepared for an unmedicated birth" but also all about the medications, etc. (all that in one day...really?) because every labor is different and to be as inclusive as possible. I'm guessing that means 90% of the class will be completely uninterested in natural birth, and the RNs who teach it won't care at all about convincing my reluctant Hubby that natural is the way to go. But if anyone has personal experience with this Better Birth Foundation, please let me know...I'm happy to be proven wrong.

~Teresa, pregnant with my first, due August 27, 2010, hoping for a natural birth
#8 of 13 Old 03-24-2010, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Love2Research View Post
(if only they weren't so expensive! Is it really worth $325?)

I also have the option of a generic childbirth prep class from Kaiser (my HMO) for only $10, but I'm thinking you get what you pay for
"you get what you pay for" goes both ways!!

baby steps teaches a class at emory john's creek, that isn't close enough?

Christine, mom to C(7.5) - E(5) - J(3) - B(10 mos)

Doula, childbirth educator, Co-leader of ICAN of Atlanta

"Never miss an opportunity to make others happy, even if you have to leave them alone in order to do it." ~Anonymous

#9 of 13 Old 03-24-2010, 11:36 AM

Yay! I finally decided on the Bradley Method class with Erin Morrey in Norcross. My mom offered to pay (she's my biggest advocate for going natural), so that helps! I think (/hope) you're right about getting what you pay for going both ways. I'm really looking forward to this! Hubby is dragging his feet, but I'm hopeful they'll be able to convince him, especially since Erin's husband was also reluctant at first but now helps teach the class!

#10 of 13 Old 03-24-2010, 07:31 PM

It is so worth it to go to extended classes! You can't possibly digest it all in one seven hour Saturday class!!! If you can't find a class to meet your schedule, find a doula that is also a childbirth educator and hire her to give you private classes! Most people at the hospital classes want to know how soon they can have their epidural. Also, if funds are limited just ask if you can make payments. Many doulas and childbirth educators that are practicing privately will do this. I do it all the time!

Tracy Cuneo, CD(DONA)--Certified Doula and Mom of ten
www.fayettevilledoula.com
#11 of 13 Old 03-25-2010, 01:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Love2Research View Post
Just got a call-back from Better Birth Foundation who offers the class taught at Emory Eastside where I'll be delivering. That option is $95 and all crammed into one Saturday, but they claim to teach "the best parts of all other methods" and "everything you need to be prepared for an unmedicated birth" but also all about the medications, etc. (all that in one day...really?) because every labor is different and to be as inclusive as possible. I'm guessing that means 90% of the class will be completely uninterested in natural birth, and the RNs who teach it won't care at all about convincing my reluctant Hubby that natural is the way to go. But if anyone has personal experience with this Better Birth Foundation, please let me know...I'm happy to be proven wrong.
I took this class when I was pregnant with my older daughter in 2006. The nurse who taught it, I can't remember her name, was nice and was very much in favor of natural childbirth and gave a lot of good information on the risks of various interventions, including the "cascade of interventions" and what it can lead to and how to evaluate these things in a hospital setting (i.e. you ask what the medical reason is for doing "X," what would happen if you do nothing, etc.) It was not a "how to be a good patient" class and the RN was for the most part well-informed, friendly, and persuasive. She also worked for the BBF, not for the hospital where I took the class. I think she was actually a SAHM and didn't work in hospitals anymore at all except for teaching these classes.

That being said, it WAS taught by an RN and if I had to take it over again with the info I have now I would probably disagree with at least few things she said. Also, you're probably right about the other people who take the class, most of the ones in my class planned to get an epidural. It probably would not be the first class I would recommend to someone but I don't think it is harmful. If you don't have time for a longer class it might help get your husband on board.

Blair, mom to the amazing Nora (8/06) ribboncesarean.gif, sweet Anneliese (2/10) vbac.gif, and super Henry (8/12) vbac.gif

#12 of 13 Old 03-30-2010, 03:49 PM

i agree with renee....alaboroflove.org!!
#13 of 13 Old 04-05-2010, 01:21 PM

love, love, love, love Hypnobirthing!!!!!
We took our class in GA and it was fabulous. it was my 2nd birth, which was an easy, pretty painless, UC waterbirth. the relaxation techniques i learned were worthy 100 times what we paid.
Unfortunately the lady who taught our class has since moved, but you can go to the website and find a provider.
if you have any more questions please contact me.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page