orlando/oviedo moms? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 06-10-2010, 03:17 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
most likely, if my kids are tolerable and i can get my but together i will be accompanying dh to orlando while he works next week. his work is in the city, his mom is in Oviedo so we are looking at staying near ucf b/c I know there are suite hotels there that are not as busy of a street as when we stayed at the embassy in altamonte springs. dh is thinking he will rent a car to get to and from work so his preference is to stay up there near his moms house. I have no preference since there will be driving either way.

anyway, he will be working 3 of the days we are there, if I get lucky 2 of them may not be full days but the one is a definite full day. I am 34 wks pregnant and will have my 5 kids with me ages 13, 10 (but she has high functioning autism so is more like having a 7ish yr old along so not another helper like the 13 yr old), 5, 3, and 1 so we cannot just hang out at the hotel indefinitely but any of the really busy places like the amusement parks would be too hard to do a 5 to 1 ratio at and I am not looking to spend that kind of money either.

So aside from the hotel pool and the mcds playplace what are my options? I know oviedo has a park (but cannot remember the name to even get some info) that has a waterslide and kiddie area but I am concerned that the last time we went there we had to wait a while to get into that part. someone told me about amaya papaya (sp?) but it looks to only be for kids 6 and under so not sure if they would let my older kids in. i know oviedo marketplace has a play area but not sure how suited it would be to a 1 yr old as last time we went it was pretty busy for a child just learning to climb, does one of the other malls have a better option? i heard the central florida zoo now has a splash pad, we can get in there free with our zoo membership, is it typically really busy during the week? I was excited to hear that b/c I was considering the splash pad at the universal boardwalk or disney village but I am assuming both would be packed this time of year (and isnt next weekend opening weekend for the wizarding world at universal so all the universal stuff may be more crowded?)? what other splash pads or small parks with water are there? I know there is that petting farm in kissimee, is it really busy? worth the drive? I know the petting zoo is free at fort wilderness but of course Id have to pay for pony rides but I was assuming the line to get through the gate at WDW parking would be bad.

Open to any ideas that can handle a 5 to 1 ratio and arent going to melt (we are used to the heat/humidity the weather here in SC is about the same but I try not to overdo it here either) or cripple a very pregnant woman lol

tia
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-11-2010, 11:49 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I wish I could help you out more, but right now I only have a 2.5 year old, so my info is centered there. There is a splash pad in downtown Sanford that is also attached to a park, so the older ones can hang out at the park/playground while the younger ones run wild in the splash park. I think it's $2 a child. There's also a splash pad in Avalon Park that is next to a park/playground, and that one is free, but it's supposed to be for residents only. If you're not a resident, you can't use the bathrooms, but we've never had a problem other than that. Blanchard Park in Orlando is HUGE and has walking trails and such, and Downey Park (about a mile or 2 from Blanchard) is pretty awesome and has a splash pad. Amaya Papaya is awesome, but only the little kids could play. One of the hotels out on I-drive just opened up a small-ish water park, but it looks pretty awesome.

I'll get back to you if I can think of anything else.

User Tag List