Homebirth Midwives in the Savannah area? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 19 Old 06-21-2010, 10:21 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I am in North GA, but I have a friend in Savannah looking at homebirth as an option.

Mindie, wife to Mark, not-so-crunchy mom to Dylan (4/04); Devon (6/06); Dorothy (9/07); Derek (12/19/09); Daniel (12/18/10); Newbie D (2/22/12)

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 19 Old 06-21-2010, 08:52 PM

I am looking for the same thing! What I have head is tht midwives are not legally aloud to attend home births in Georgia though. I'm still going to try to find someone though. I want another homebirth, and I hope I don't have to go the UC route. There is a birth center in Savannah, so I may end up going there.

treehugger.gifAngie(25) Birth Doula and wife to Army man Bob(25), mommy to...dust.gifMeadow Shae(6),energy.gifLily Rain(4)homebirth.jpg, and joy.gif Sage Ashlyn(3). jog.gifAndrew Houston(9/3/11)

#3 of 19 Old 06-21-2010, 09:14 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by love4bob View Post
I am looking for the same thing! What I have head is tht midwives are not legally aloud to attend home births in Georgia though. I'm still going to try to find someone though. I want another homebirth, and I hope I don't have to go the UC route. There is a birth center in Savannah, so I may end up going there.
The bolded is true. I have an awesome midwife up here in N. GA. She is kinda under the radar.

Mindie, wife to Mark, not-so-crunchy mom to Dylan (4/04); Devon (6/06); Dorothy (9/07); Derek (12/19/09); Daniel (12/18/10); Newbie D (2/22/12)

#4 of 19 Old 06-22-2010, 02:29 PM

I think I'll ask at the birth center if they know anyone who does homebirth even if it's not "legal".

treehugger.gifAngie(25) Birth Doula and wife to Army man Bob(25), mommy to...dust.gifMeadow Shae(6),energy.gifLily Rain(4)homebirth.jpg, and joy.gif Sage Ashlyn(3). jog.gifAndrew Houston(9/3/11)

#5 of 19 Old 06-28-2010, 03:44 PM
CEG

Nurse Midwives are legally allowed to attend homebirths in GA, there just aren't any/very many because they have to have a signed agreement from a physician which are hard to come by. I have heard there is a CNM attending homebirths in the Savannah area-- I don't have her contact info though.
#6 of 19 Old 06-29-2010, 05:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CEG View Post
Nurse Midwives are legally allowed to attend homebirths in GA, there just aren't any/very many because they have to have a signed agreement from a physician which are hard to come by. I have heard there is a CNM attending homebirths in the Savannah area-- I don't have her contact info though.
A similar question was recently asked and answered on another local forum, a CNM responded.

Question:
Just for clarification, is homebirth legal in GA with a CNM? Assuming you have a CNM willing to do homebirth, of course. Is it just the direct entry midwife attending it that is illegal?

Answer:
The law doesn't speak to where birth takes place. The state is only interested in regulating those professions that can do harm; like lawyers, doctors, insurance agents, cosmetologists, building contractors, plumbers, nurses, and in many states, midwives.

There is a statue which mandates the regulation and licensure of midwives. Midwives have been unable to get a license in Georgia for 30+,years, although the nursing board has a special license for all advanced nurses including nurse-midwives.

So, like any other profession regulated by the state, it is "illegal" to practice midwifery in Georgia without a license. No one has been prosecuted for this. If there was a bad outcome, it's possible the state could add a charge of "practicing without a license" if they wanted to make an issue. Of course, then they would have to answer to why they haven't granted a license in 30 years.

Nichole, mama to 6 blue-eyed babies, LCCE, doula, apprentice mw
#7 of 19 Old 07-02-2010, 02:49 PM
CEG

Quote:
Originally Posted by doulanichole View Post
A similar question was recently asked and answered on another local forum, a CNM responded.

Question:
Just for clarification, is homebirth legal in GA with a CNM? Assuming you have a CNM willing to do homebirth, of course. Is it just the direct entry midwife attending it that is illegal?

Answer:
The law doesn't speak to where birth takes place. The state is only interested in regulating those professions that can do harm; like lawyers, doctors, insurance agents, cosmetologists, building contractors, plumbers, nurses, and in many states, midwives.

There is a statue which mandates the regulation and licensure of midwives. Midwives have been unable to get a license in Georgia for 30+,years, although the nursing board has a special license for all advanced nurses including nurse-midwives.

So, like any other profession regulated by the state, it is "illegal" to practice midwifery in Georgia without a license. No one has been prosecuted for this. If there was a bad outcome, it's possible the state could add a charge of "practicing without a license" if they wanted to make an issue. Of course, then they would have to answer to why they haven't granted a license in 30 years.
I can't tell if this person is referring to CNMs or other midwives. I am a CNM. I have a license in the state of Georgia that says "Certified Nurse Midwife". The state does not say where I can provide services, only that I am required to have a written collaborative agreement with a physician deilneating my scope of practice. I work legally within my scope of practice to provide midwifery care in the office and the hospital. If I want to do homebirths I just need that agreement signed with a physician and I am free to do that legally.
#8 of 19 Old 07-09-2010, 08:39 PM

I am a homebirth CNM in Savannah!

Another piece of the puzzle is that its not that homebirths are illegal, its that CPMs who usually attend homebirths are not regulated in GA, but there are many of them.... just none in Savannah. CNMs can attend homebirths but its hard to get a backup doctor due to most malpractice insurance companies not wanting to cover the midwife or a doctor backing up a midwife who does homebirths (even though all studies show its as safe, if not safer, and way cheaper!) so they are hesitant to "practice bare". Anyway, I am a CNM and just started attending homebirths (practicing bare) in the Savannah area with Nicole Lavallee, a CPM in SC who drives down. If you are interested, google her...I just made my website today but it was off a free site and can't find my website when I google it now

Best of luck! I had a homebirth myself (in the UK) and am shocked at how resistant the medical community is here.

GeorgAnna
#9 of 19 Old 07-10-2010, 01:57 AM

Georgeanna, so you do attend home births in the area? Please post your website when you can find it! I am not pregnant yet, but hope to get pregnant when dh is home for R&R.

#10 of 19 Old 07-12-2010, 08:22 PM
CEG

Hi Georgeanna! We have exchanged e-mails a couple of times Glad to see you here with the perspective of someone doing this. There are lots of misunderstandings about the law here.
Courtney
#11 of 19 Old 08-13-2010, 08:08 PM

Hello again! My website is http://www.wix.com/savannahmidwife/homebirth and Nicole (the CPM in SC who drives down and we work together) is http://www.coastalbirthservices.com/biographies.html

Feel free to give me a call anytime with any questions... i've been researching the legal side pretty extensively lately.

After having my daughter at home, I can't imagine voluntarily having another baby in a hospital so really want to make sure that is an option for women in my area.

warmly
georganna in savannah
#12 of 19 Old 08-16-2010, 12:33 PM

Thanks for linking to your website, Georganna. LOVE the picture on your "Research" page.

hippie.gif+reading.gif= Peanut (2004), Pumpkin (2007) and Butter Bean!! (2011)

#13 of 19 Old 08-17-2010, 09:08 AM

GeorgAnna

Hey its Juliet! Fancy seeing you here! When I saw this thread I immediately thought of you, and then saw you posted. Good for you!

Juliet married to Justin, Mom to Savannah 19, Kyla forever 4, Braelyn 11, Jack 8, and 3 wonderful pups!
#14 of 19 Old 08-26-2010, 06:49 PM

Do you attend VBACs? I had a c section with my first child in '05, and a hospital VBAC with my second child in '08. I would love homebirth to be a real option for us for our third child.

mama to two sweet girls love.gif 8/05, fairy.gif 11/08, a handsome little guy babyboy.gif 4/11, and expecting another 5/13
always missing our angel1.gif (11/04, 4/07, 8/07, 5/10)
#15 of 19 Old 09-02-2010, 01:26 PM

Rock on! You already had a hospital VBAC! We'd have to see your records, but if you had a hospital VBAC then most likely you'd be all set for a homebirth.

Hey Juliet!!! We need to hang out.

I am also pregnant with our 2nd, which is a huge surprise after losing 3 pregnancies last year, the 3rd being a blighted ovum that with acupuncture I managed to carry to 16 weeks before finding out there was no baby in my swelling belly. That was hard to get over. Anyway I am new to the area and looking to meet other mamas that do attachment parenting / slings / baby swimming / extended breastfeeding / yoga / cloth diapers and hang out! I'd love to practice prenatal rebozo and mayan abdominal massage on some mamas if anyone is interested.

I made a new website but just found out i can't advertise here (sorry about that, Mothering.com!!!). Maybe its okay since someone asked for it? Not sure how that works.

warmly,
GeorgAnna
#16 of 19 Old 02-03-2011, 06:08 AM

Just wanted to add that I now have 2 backup physicians, so my homebirth practice is totally legal and up and running! I am due to birth my second child at home any day now, can't wait!

GeorgAnna

heathenmom likes this.
#17 of 19 Old 02-03-2011, 07:15 AM
CEG

Yay Yay yay!  Please e-mail me and let me know what's going on!!!

Courtney (from Augusta)

#18 of 19 Old 02-27-2011, 11:10 AM

I am SO glad to see there is an attended homebirth option in Savannah now! Wish you'd been there a couple of years ago. Thank you, thank you, thank you for opening up that option in the area, Georganna!

#19 of 19 Old 09-09-2013, 06:13 AM

"Jo" Joann Smith is located in southeastern Georgia, near Florida....you can reach her at www.contemporaryhomebirthandmidwiferyservices.com.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page