Natural Birthing Options in Miami? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 07-03-2010, 10:59 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm 11 weeks pregnant and trying to figure out what my options are. I know I want to deliver naturally if possible, and that I'm unlikely to get the experience I want in a hospital.

Ideally, I would love to do a home birth, but that's not really an option for us. We live in a condo, which has a statement forbidding waterbeds in the lease, so I'm sure that a birthing tub would be out. And I don't really want to be disturbing our neighbors if I get loud during labor

Our insurance is giving us trouble with the birth centers. They only listed 2 as in network, one of them doesn't seem to exist (their website is offline and their phone is disconnected) and the other one, well... I'm just not comfortable going there after some things I read online. There is another center we are interested in, but they are out of network. For an out of network provider, we pay the first $3000 and then 30% after that. Since the total cost is $4000, we're still basically paying almost the full fee. We're going to try to apply for a waiver to get them to cover this other birth center as in network for lack of other options. I'm also going to use the fact that there is something like a 50% c-section rate in hospitals here, and use the fact that the birth center is going to be cheaper for them to cover than a hospital birth either way.

The insurance will only cover midwives if they bill under an OB/GYN (they seem to have found a loophole in the FL law that they have to cover midwives - they are a federal insurance plan, not based in FL so they say they are not bound by state laws...)

I'm not opposed to delivering at a birth center that is within a hospital (I see that Jackson has a "birth center" and midwives but I don't know much about it, I need to call them), provided that it actually functions as a birth center and not just as an easy doorway to hustle women into the care of an OB/GYN for a c-section the first chance they get.

I'm just curious what other local ladies have done. Feel free to PM me if you had a bad experience somewhere (I think we're not supposed to post things like that?).

Thanks in advance
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-03-2010, 11:13 PM

Hi I don't live in Miami but I used too a while ago. There are a lot of birth centers in the area for example, Miami maternity center off 119 st , Hollywood Birth Center in Hollywood blvd and A Birth Center In Hallendale Beach blvd. There is also this great Midwife in Cooper City (Janice Heller) that I worked with for all my births. She does homebirths and also sees patients at the birth center in hallendale. I know there is another birth center in north miami but I'm not sure exactly where it is, all I remember is that there is a midwife named Mary there that did homebirths for 2 of my friends.
I hope that helps
Old 07-04-2010, 02:43 AM

Mary does only homebirths (Mary Harris). Miami Maternity Center was closed down for awhile last year due to some legal issues, not sure if it has reopened. Hollywood Birth Center has some great midwives working there. It's a shame you can't get your insurance to cover a homebirth, as there are tons of great midwives in that area!

Monique, CPM and Florida LM. Proud momma to 6 boys with 1 more on the way; wife to Shane my best friend.

Old 07-04-2010, 04:24 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the input

The place we are interested in is A Birth Center in Hallandale. We haven't been there yet (other than the tour), our first appointment is on the 15th (our first prenatal appointment was with a local OB/GYN while we sorted out what to do about the birthing centers, and it absolutely solidified our decision to go with the birth center, even if we have to pay for it... and this was with a natural birth friendly OB/GYN). What I like about it is they have an OB/GYN there if you need to see him, and he will follow you at the hospital if you need to give birth there for some reason. I like having that continuity of care and not worrying about what will happen if I risk out of the birth center birth, because that is a possibility for me (I have ulcerative colitis, flared badly at the beginning of the pregnancy and am currently on prednisone to control it). He's supposedly very pro-natural birthing (and his wife is a midwife ), so it seems like a better alternative than just rolling the dice and getting a random OB/GYN in the case of a hospital transfer. So I really hope we like it there.

Does anyone know anything about the supposed "birth center" in Jackson?
Old 07-20-2010, 01:16 AM

Your best bet if you can't have a homebirth/birth center birth is Dr. magliore at North Shore Hospital. She's the only doctor recommended by a doula I know. She will do VBACS, even after two C-sections or with twins, so she's pretty hardcore for a OBGYN. Whatever you do don't go to Kendall Regional, it's c-section rate is 74%.

Dalila, mom to two boys, 7 and 5

490/2013

Old 07-20-2010, 04:04 PM - Thread Starter

74%!!?? Wow!!

Thanks for the info on Dr Magliore, I'll save it for future reference

As an update, we recently found out that our insurance does actually cover A Birth Center after all (this after both my husband and I were told by several different people on the phone that they were not in network). The person who deals with insurance at the birth center called them while we were there and in about 15 minutes had approval. So we are most likely going there
Old 07-20-2010, 10:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fyvel View Post
74%!!?? Wow!!

Thanks for the info on Dr Magliore, I'll save it for future reference

As an update, we recently found out that our insurance does actually cover A Birth Center after all (this after both my husband and I were told by several different people on the phone that they were not in network). The person who deals with insurance at the birth center called them while we were there and in about 15 minutes had approval. So we are most likely going there
Yes, the general c-section rate in Miami Dade is just over 50%, but this is the worst hospital. Good luck!

Dalila, mom to two boys, 7 and 5

490/2013

Old 07-21-2010, 05:30 PM - Thread Starter

Yes, I was aware of the ~50% statistic for Miami-Dade, and I thought that was ridiculous! I can't believe a hospital can have a c-section rate of 74% and not have to answer to anybody because of that. That is completely appalling.
Old 05-23-2012, 02:52 PM

HI!

I just found this blog because I'm planing on getting pregnant with my 2nd child :) 

I'm from Ecuador and as a doctor and being working for more than 10 years in natural delivery, I know how important it is to have a good team on your side for the delivery.

I'm sure your baby is 3 already, and would love to know what happened with your delivery or if you have any suggestions for natural delivery.

My baby was born on a clinic with MD's and a Dula, and it was a water delivery, super incredible and peaceful...all I hope is that I can have that for my next delivery here in Miami :)

thanx in advance!

Mari

User Tag List