South Florida Treasure Coast loking for advice - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 08-05-2010, 11:30 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm looking for any help or advice in finding VBAC friendly hospitals and OB's. We live just north of West Palm Beach and would be willing to drive up to 2 hours in any direction for the right kind of hospital. I've only lived in the States for 2 years (from UK originally) and so don't know too much about how everything works about finding the right providers.

We tried home birthing with a LM with our son, but I timed out (waters broke before labor started) and had to transfer to hospital, where I ended up with a CS after 37 hours total of labor. Our midwife won't take us again until we've had a successful vaginal delivery, and we can't really afford to go out of network again.

Any advice is greatly appreciated

Lynslingboy.gif, wife to Robtrekkie.gif & Mamma to angel.gif "Moredcai" 12wks July 09, Aiden(6/1/10)banana.gif and Seth(9/7/11)babyf.gif hbac.gif  New blessing Megan(5/9/13)hearts.gifuc.jpg

#2 of 6 Old 08-05-2010, 08:36 PM

Would you be willing to switch to a different midwife?

Kim

Mama to 2 Boys...Nurse and IBCLC to the rest of the world!

www.BosomBabiesLactationServices.com

#3 of 6 Old 08-06-2010, 10:53 AM - Thread Starter

I would switch to another midwife IF we could afford to go out of network again. We have PPO insurance and it only covers 70% of out of network providers, so it won't be an option. Finding a midwife would be easy, but a hospital and OB that seems more complicated.

Lynslingboy.gif, wife to Robtrekkie.gif & Mamma to angel.gif "Moredcai" 12wks July 09, Aiden(6/1/10)banana.gif and Seth(9/7/11)babyf.gif hbac.gif  New blessing Megan(5/9/13)hearts.gifuc.jpg

#4 of 6 Old 08-12-2010, 02:19 PM

I used to live in that area (had my c-section at Wellington Regional) and I used to have a list of VBAC friendly providers. However, it is outdated as I have been living in Tallahassee for three years.
I would contact the International Cesarean Awareness Netork (ICAN) chapter in your area for up to date information:
http://southfl.ican-online.org/

There are lots of midwives in the area currently doing VBACs, you might be able to find one that takes your insurance.
http://63.134.240.27/ffom/Midwiferyi...7/Default.aspx

Also, this midwife is a CNM who does homebirths and is VBAC friendly, but I don't know if she is able to provide them at this time.
http://flamidwyfe.tripod.com/
#5 of 6 Old 04-22-2012, 10:28 AM

i live in the same area..there arent any hosptals that do vbac in st lucie, indian river or martin county..i know there are 3 in palm beach county and 1 in brevard county.  only thing bad is you have to use an ob/gyn that also practices at the hospital u choose...im trying to find one my self for when i get pregnant again, and im looking to going to eith palm beach or brevard county

#6 of 6 Old 05-29-2012, 09:19 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by utvolbigorange View Post

i live in the same area..there arent any hosptals that do vbac in st lucie, indian river or martin county..i know there are 3 in palm beach county and 1 in brevard county.  only thing bad is you have to use an ob/gyn that also practices at the hospital u choose...im trying to find one my self for when i get pregnant again, and im looking to going to eith palm beach or brevard county

This is a fairly old thread. I did end up going out of network again with Angela Love CNM who is based in Vero Beach. We got an out of network excemption because there were no network home birth providers within 30 miles (Florida law) but are still trying to get the last bit of payment out of Anthem BCBS. DS2 was born at home last September.

We have since moved to WPB so I'm out of Angela's area now. If you are within an hour of Vero I highly recommend her. She is very knowledgeable and definitely believes that we all deserve to choose how we give birth. As a CNM and NP she also takes medicaid.

The closest hospital I could find that takes VBAC mamas is Good Samaritan in Palm Beach County, but there is only 1 OB that does them there. If you call the L&D dept they will tell you the name of that OB (can't remember his name, but it wasn't the one listed on the ICAN website.) The other hospitals in Palm Beach don't do VBACs.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page